Options

SmugMug Open Beta - new 'SmugMug' style!

Comments

• Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    encosion wrote:
    I've noticed that rotating of photos is now no longer immediately visible... You have to go out of the gallery and then come back in again... A step back in this respect... Otherwise I'm pretty impressed with the first five minutes I've been playing!

After some investigation - we DO update the image, it just takes the server a while to rotate. Once it has been rotated, you have to revisit the page that the rotate is on (meaning going to a different page and returning). Once that happens the page gets the new URL to the photo and updates it :)
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    A button that's only visible on logged in that'll report spam from a smugmugger. I'm saying, keep catptcha for guests, and lose it for logged in smuggers. The ratio of spamming smuggers must be very low. If you get spam reports on a user that you can confirm, warn them, and then if they keep it up, delete them, or temporarily close their account, or something. The number of registered spammers must be very, very low and a report button would be adequate to keep up with it, IMO.

He's spamming his own photos. So he's not gonna report himself.

He's basically giving himself hundreds of 5-star ratings to make his photos look better.

Doesn't sound a report button is the solution here.

Don
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    He's spamming his own photos. So he's not gonna report himself.

He's basically giving himself hundreds of 5-star ratings to make his photos look better.

Doesn't sound a report button is the solution here.

Don

rolleyes1.gif

Uncle.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    One problem I noticed was the first time I tried viewing a gallery as a filmstrip the first default medium size image just showed a "file not found graphic" I tried clicking on other thumbs and it didn't change. then I noticed the "photo viewing size" box was showing "undefined" (4 menu choices with that as the first choice) I chose medium and it works normally now and undefined has disappeared. This was in Firefox 1.5.0.8 I tried viewing the same gallery in IE without logging into the account and it didn't have the issue. I think I had copied my customization over before I tried viewing as filmstrip.

Edit:Never mind I ws thinking smugmug style was something else. :)

I like the new bling
    Josh

jfp.beta.smugmug.net
    Nevermind
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    JFreeman wrote:
    One problem I noticed was the first time I tried viewing a gallery as a filmstrip

The notes said smugmug only. Filmstrip no worky.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Oooooh that's what that meant, I was thinking themes instead of styles. :P
  • Options
    pjb923pjb923 Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Awesome job so far guys!

The pre-loading of images, not having to reload the page with each new image displayed, and keyboard navigation makes browsing galleries so much faster. clap.gif
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    Not sure what the issue is, but normally I use FF (FF2 now). But when I go check out my beta site gallery, IE6 can't do it. I get an error when it goes to actually load the gallery part of the page.

EDIT: Beta site URL http://kennedybeta.beta.smugmug.net
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Not sure what the issue is, but normally I use FF (FF2 now). But when I go check out my beta site gallery, IE6 can't do it. I get an error when it goes to actually load the gallery part of the page.

EDIT: Beta site URL http://kennedybeta.beta.smugmug.net
    Deleted EVERY thing (customizations), and it works fine in IE6 now..not sure what the offending code was.

EDIT #2: If anything - I *LOVE* the fact that the photos/page loads faster. That alone makes our sites that much better.

EDIT #3: Question - didn't see this already... when a viewer places mouse of the large image - can we keep that flyout, from flying out? Or dictate what it has? (like I dont want the save photo to be there for example)

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    EDIT #3: Question - didn't see this already... when a viewer places mouse of the large image - can we keep that flyout, from flying out? Or dictate what it has? (like I dont want the save photo to be there for example)

You can disable Originals, in which case they shouldn't be able to save.

Or you can get rid of the flyout entirely. See the Wiki page.

Don
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Just change the gallery settings.

In the securtiy/privacy - no option to allow large or not, just original or not - cant remove the hover over photo to show or not choices to see s.m.l.o, I prefer the old way (below the image).

Even though I had it set to not share, when you hover over the image you get the option to share. I was able to change that so it didn't appear (not sure why it's so hard for the settings to stick), but after I reset it to NOT share, it still comes up save photo.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    You can disable Originals, in which case they shouldn't be able to save.

Or you can get rid of the flyout entirely. See the Wiki page.

Don

The fly out looks incredible, and so does the exif info flyout - but unless someone happens to hover over the photo - they won't know its there. This is why I prefer the older way (at the moment, even tho the older way isnt as purty)

OK - The Original part - makes sense...maybe that is what I did before to remove that part of the fly out.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    In the securtiy/privacy - no option to allow large or not, just original or not - cant remove the hover over photo to show or not
    did you sign up as a pro account, or a power account? I'm willing to bet, not pro. Go to control panel and upgrade your account deal.gif
    Even though I had it set to not share, when you hover over the image you get the option to share.

Link?
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 1, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Even though I had it set to not share, when you hover over the image you get the option to share. I was able to change that so it didn't appear (not sure why it's so hard for the settings to stick), but after I reset it to NOT share, it still comes up save photo.
    not if you're logged out mwink.gif

114110607-L.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 1, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Lee will think about changing this, right Lee? ;)
    Only because you asked me to.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    did you sign up as a pro account, or a power account? I'm willing to bet, not pro. Go to control panel and upgrade your account deal.gif

Link?
    Course I didn't go with the pro rolleyes1.gif So yeah now the L option is available.

I like the clean look now. As mentioned, the flyout looks really cool, so does the exif info window. Photos load faster when you click on a thumbnail - another excellent thing.

Oh : "3rd party statistics tracking, like Google Analytics, will work differently than before since there aren't really "page loads" anymore. " how WILL it work now? My tracker, as far as I know, is set to count when you load the main page only - will that still work the same?

Tried the slideshow - its a little odd - loads a photo, changes the demensions...?? Never used it before, and I don't have it set for viewers to choose a slideshow so not an issue for me.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Slideshow has not been updated - it will be, but not with this beta test :)

DJKennedy wrote:
    Tried the slideshow - its a little odd - loads a photo, changes the demensions...?? Never used it before, and I don't have it set for viewers to choose a slideshow so not an issue for me.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    not if you're logged out mwink.gif

I was actually using FF to log in, and IE(6) to view changes... :P

• Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    {JT} wrote:

THanks JT - never tried it before so wasnt sure if this was updated or not. As mentioned - I dont use it and dont have it as a option so not a biggie.

• Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    In the securtiy/privacy - no option to allow large or not, just original or not - cant remove the hover over photo to show or not choices to see s.m.l.o, I prefer the old way
    Hmmm, DJ raises an interesting point that has me worrying a bit now. First of all, let me repeat what I said in a previous post--I love the flyouts and I love that with them, the area beneath the photo has been cleaned up. I want this to work.

But, DJ's comment made me think about this fact: When I ask people viewing my site if they bother to rate photos with the thumbs, people who do not have their own smugmug site (and even some that do) always ask me, "What thumbs?" My viewers simply never mouseover the main pick to see the thumb flyout. So, now I'm worried they won't find the new flyout and, therefore, will believe these options aren't available.

This probably isn't as big of a deal as it seems to me at the moment. I'm just wondering if there has been some thought given as to how to "encourage" people to mouseover? Perhaps this is something else resolved in Phase 2.
  • Options
    HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Would this explain why the SS Hack implemented in my footer is displaying pictures from someone elses account. I asked about this on the first page of this thread but have not yet received a response.

Link
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Good point on the photo ranking - not something I allow on my site so wasn't an issue.

But with my point, and your point - we have a point! :D

I totally agree that the flyouts are a work of beauty - because they are. Since I have a SM site, and visit many SM sites (mainly due to Dgrin), so I know the function(s) are there - but someone new to SM sites, and to our sites in general will only see that information that was there before, is now gone (in my case the exif link, and ability to choose s,m,l, and occasionally O sizes).

Unless we the site owners (me) put up some disclaimer - those nice new functions may go unnoticed.

Derek

EDIT: ok, that part about new people to SM sites or our sites didn't make sense - if they are new, they wont miss anything because they've never been there before :P

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    HDVideo wrote:
    Would this explain why the SS Hack implemented in my footer is displaying pictures from someone elses account. I asked about this on the first page of this thread but have not yet received a response.

Link
    try changing your SS url to the one you use on your live site.
    Other than that, we're just focusing on SmugMug style for the moment thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Your slideshow in your footer was designed to call images from the server it is on. Since you probably just copied and pasted the same exact code over, it finds different images (since the ImageIDs don't match up) on the beta server. Make sense?
    HDVideo wrote:

Link
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    try changing your SS url to the one you use on your live site.
    Other than that, we're just focusing on SmugMug style for the moment thumb.gif

I originally copied all my code from my regular site - including the SS - the SS didn't work at all..might be something else.

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2006
    nitpicks:

-In the area that says " <Back 3 of 15 Next>" I tend to put my mouse on "next" and click through the pictures. Only the "next" moves when you go from #1 (because there's no "back" and the text is left-justified).

-The arrow key navigation is okay, but I didn't expect the down button to take me from the bottom line of page one to the top line of page 2. Maybe it's just me, but I expected it to wrap to the top of the next column. I guess I thought the only thing that would kick to the next page would be right arrow from the bottom right thumbnail.

-A few of the photos shift a pixel or two left and right on mouseover/flyout. They don't all do it, but at least 2 of the 18 I uploaded do. Like this one.

I'm using Firefox 1.5, by the way...
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Your slideshow in your footer was designed to call images from the server it is on. Since you probably just copied and pasted the same exact code over, it finds different images (since the ImageIDs don't match up) on the beta server. Make sense?
    I first just copied the code, leaving the gallery link to my live site. This produced no pictures displayed at all.

I then loaded the same gallery to the test site and modified the link to point to the new gallery and that's when I started getting pictures from someone else's account. Clicking the image did link to my gallery, but none of my pics were displayed in the SS.

I fully understand that this is not a priority and I only posted because you asked us to check our customization. Please keep up the GREAT work. The more I test the changes, the more I like them!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Changing Size with Flyout
    When clicking to change the size with the flyout, the picture is displayed in the lightbox in the selected size. Closing the lightbox returns you to the Smugmug Style with the original size displayed.

How do you change the size displayed in the Smugmug Style? I would like to be able to change the size displayed without opening the lightbox.
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Back text spacing is fixable. Thanks for the info about the arrow key navigation, it is a hard thing to get and I would be interested in other peoples expectations. The pixel jiggle is due to the photo being an odd number of pixels and firefox having to rethink what center means when you mouseover it (dumb firefox). Not sure how to fix it but I will look in to it :)
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    nitpicks:

-In the area that says " <Back 3 of 15 Next>" I tend to put my mouse on "next" and click through the pictures. Only the "next" moves when you go from #1 (because there's no "back" and the text is left-justified).

-The arrow key navigation is okay, but I didn't expect the down button to take me from the bottom line of page one to the top line of page 2. Maybe it's just me, but I expected it to wrap to the top of the next column. I guess I thought the only thing that would kick to the next page would be right arrow from the bottom right thumbnail.

-A few of the photos shift a pixel or two left and right on mouseover/flyout. They don't all do it, but at least 2 of the 18 I uploaded do. Like this one.

I'm using Firefox 1.5, by the way...
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2006
    Phase 2

HDVideo wrote:
    When clicking to change the size with the flyout, the picture is displayed in the lightbox in the selected size. Closing the lightbox returns you to the Smugmug Style with the original size displayed.

How do you change the size displayed in the Smugmug Style? I would like to be able to change the size displayed without opening the lightbox.
This discussion has been closed.