Options

SmugMug Open Beta - new 'SmugMug' style!

123457»

Comments

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 6, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    thumb.gif
    this is to include all the graphic elements. All the new graphic elements (page navigation, exifbox, photobar) are all styleable using css.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    An improved photo details look
    Lots of great stuff in the new beta. I'm just starting to explore it. The first thing that came to mind is that with a little bit of layout effort, the Photo Details could be a ton more useful and easier to find what you want. Mostly, I'd just like the items grouped between dividers. This lets the eye more easily scan to the type of info you're looking for. Make and model could be combined on the same line too. Oftne what I'm scanning for is type of camera or exposure information. Here's an example that I mocked up that makes both of those a lot easier to find:

115439573-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Mostly, I'd just like the items grouped between dividers. This lets the eye more easily scan to the type of info you're looking for.

John - I like your idea - it really does help.

P.S. - In case you didn't know - both of your gallery links go to the same place.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    rfreschner wrote:
    John - I like your idea - it really does help.

P.S. - In case you didn't know - both of your gallery links go to the same place.

Thanks for the note about my signature. I fixed it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    rfreschnerrfreschner Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Thanks for the note about my signature. I fixed it.

Ah yes, much better now. Some really nice images there, BTW.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2006
    Dynamic page layouts - use my screen width
    Something I like a lot about Zenfolio's pages that I don't yet see in the Smugmug beta is that they dynamically adjust what's on the page to fit the available space in the window.

This means that if you make your window larger, they will fit more thumbs on it and they will make the main image larger. This is really cool for people that have medium to large screens.

Are there any plans to add this type of functionality to the new Smugmug functionality?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2006
    Photo details won't stay open sometimes
    Here's another buglet. Open the photo details window and then navigate around. If you hit a photo that has no exif, the photo details window closes and then doesn't come back open again when you then hit a photo with EXIF on it. Other photos that appear to not have EXIF info just give you a tiny photo details window that just shows image size and file size (something every image has). That's probably how it should work if you hit an image with no EXIF. Here's an example of an image that cause the window to close and stay closed: http://beta.smugmug.net/popular/all#288.

To reproduce the problem, go to this link. Select the photo before this one. Open the photo details window. Use the arrow key or mouse to select the trouble thumbnail. The photo details will close. Now go back to the previous image. No photo details window. So, hitting this image causes the window to close and it won't stay open. If you are trying to browse through a gallery looking at the EXIF window, it sometimes won't stay open.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    disable photo rank stuff in flyout?
    Lots of fun, nifty and useful stuff in the smugmug beta. thumb.gif

I'll be looking for a way to disable the display of photo rank stuff in the flyout. Hopefully it can be disabled through customization code. Because of privacy concerns, I prefer not to use any photo rank functionality on my smugmug site.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    Beta Bug with Carbonite Theme
    I stumbled across a bug that hasn't been mentioned yet.

When using the Carbonite theme, there is a photo "jiggle" when hovering between photos.

See http://blotterfamily.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/119#3626

Carbonite theme photo jiggle does not occur with non-beta smugmug.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    gblotter wrote:
    I stumbled across a bug that hasn't been mentioned yet.

When using the Carbonite theme, there is a photo "jiggle" when hovering between photos.

See http://blotterfamily.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/119#3626

Carbonite theme photo jiggle does not occur with non-beta smugmug.
    Yeah we got that one, thanks Greg. There are a few theme CSS issues that will be easy to fix and apply once things go live. Thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    gblotter wrote:
    Lots of fun, nifty and useful stuff in the smugmug beta. thumb.gif

I'll be looking for a way to disable the display of photo rank stuff in the flyout. Hopefully it can be disabled through customization code. Because of privacy concerns, I prefer not to use any photo rank functionality on my smugmug site.
    If you set "photorank=no" in gallery settings, it won't show. If you have displaySmugPopular = false; in your javascript, it'll not show for your entire site.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    How about the EXIF info layer over the thumbnails instead of the photo display? I can still click on Next to go to the next photo without the EXIF covering up the photo?

Still no Extra Large?
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    Drag the EXIF window wherever you want
    wslam wrote:
    How about the EXIF info layer over the thumbnails instead of the photo display? I can still click on Next to go to the next photo without the EXIF covering up the photo?

Still no Extra Large?

You can drag the EXIF window anywhere you want it. If you want it over the thumbs, just move it over there.

I think I read somewhere else that XL is coming after they get this phase done.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    another bug with Carbonite theme
    Andy wrote:
    There are a few theme CSS issues that will be easy to fix and apply once things go live. Thanks thumb.gif

Here's another bug with Carbonite theme on beta smugmug.

Notice how "Page 1 of 1" is in green text - should be blue.

http://blotterfamily.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/119#3626
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    wslam wrote:
    Still no Extra Large?
    Don already posted in this thread, "it's coming thumb.gif "
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    gblotter wrote:
    Here's another bug with Carbonite theme on beta smugmug.

Notice how "Page 1 of 1" is in green text - should be blue.

http://blotterfamily.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/119#3626
    Yep, we got that one, too thumb.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    Testing dropdown navbar
    Added navbar from this site as is with no changes and it works great.

The Carbonite theme still does not work with dropdown menus.

Gallery with default theme

Gallery with Carbonite theme

Al

Edit: These two in the CSS seem to be causing the problem.
    /* following 2 statements prevent extradiv from covering up headers */
    #bodyWrapper * {
    position: relative;
    }

#bodyWrapper * * {
    position: static;
    }
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    richW wrote:
    Good work SmugMug team...Fast loading images.
    I noticed when I made a photo comment the pageNav in the comment header showed multiple pages although there was only one comment.

114125553-M.jpg

I made a gallery comment and the pageNav went to the correct page count.
    114125555-M.jpg

Beta is looking good....
    Beta Site
    Has anyone replicated this? Rich, are you still able to replicate?
  • Options
    EphemeralEphemeral Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah, just tried this now.

116489748-L.jpg

The above image is two screen grabs of two browers. I was using FF 2.0 (Top) to play around and IE 7 (Bottom) to view a non-logged in version.

Both show the page after a comment was added, using FF. To clarify, the IE7 image was after clicking the image that the comment was made on, not a F5 page refresh.

After trying an fullp age refresh the IE7 version also showed multiple pages.

The link is here if it still works:

http://bubbles.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/131/1/3680?f=51#3680
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I see someone else has the same results. I checked again on my site and still have the same results.
    Also the drop down gallery nav is either hard to read or unreadable on these themes:Gold, Cappuccino, Graduate, Graffiti, Longest Yard, Bon Voyage.
    Thanks Andy...
    Beta Site
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    I cant seem to add comments to test sites anymore - this feature not working now? When I hit save or add comment or whatever it is, nothing happens - using FF2 or IE6.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    I cant seem to add comments to test sites anymore - this feature not working now? When I hit save or add comment or whatever it is, nothing happens - using FF2 or IE6.
    I just added both a photo and gallery comment. FF
    Working here. http://atsmithbeta.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/76#2895
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2006
    Allen wrote:
    I just added both a photo and gallery comment. FF
    Working here. http://atsmithbeta.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/76#2895
    Al
    Yeah, I was able to once - out of about a dozen tries using FF and IE - odd

I tried your link - still no go...must be something on my end.

EDIT: sure make me a liar - both browsers are now working... EDIT #2: nope, different site not working...must be me...anyway - off to bed its 12:34 am here

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    edited December 14, 2006
    DJKennedy wrote:
    Yeah, I was able to once - out of about a dozen tries using FF and IE - odd

I tried your link - still no go...must be something on my end.

EDIT: sure make me a liar - both browsers are now working... EDIT #2: nope, different site not working...must be me...anyway - off to bed its 12:34 am here

Problem even at my own site (not beta site) www.djkennedy.com
    I try to add a comment in artistic and photoshopped galleries (under scenic button) and it keeps rejecting the 4 character code...but seems ok in guestbook. FF2. no issues with IE6

• Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2006
    I havent stopped drooling......... awesome ! wings.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    blurpyblurpy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2006
    I just signed up on the beta site to see the new things going on. And everything was the same as the old site! I use Opera, so I tried opening with Firefox. And there it was, the new version.

To see if there was any good reason to block Opera, I masked Opera's id as Mozilla, and got the new version in Opera as well. As far as I can see, everything works the way it does in Firefox. The new movable exif thing, the arrow keys to switch between images, the preloading. I probably haven't seen everything, but it works quite nice for now. Why would smugmug block Opera users from trying the new interface?

The new interface still has the button-bug, where some buttons show up as a thin line in Opera.

And it still has the loss-of-detail bug in the slideshow, regardless of browser. You can see it in this gallery:
    http://blurpy.beta.smugmug.net/gallery/151
    The first 2 images are from my p&s, the rest are from my dslr. For some reason, the images from my p&s looks washed out in the slideshow, even though they look great if I open them fullscreen in any image viewer. The images from my dslr looks fine in the slideshow.

I have to say, I really like the new stuff going on with the interface! Looks good, and feels much faster. If the issues I have mentioned here gets fixed, I will be very happy wings.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2006
    New release is out, along with a new thread to restart the discussion. Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.