Options

Marc Muench - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    I get dibs on that in DV :D

You've got a pretty nice chunk of the Milky Way.
    With only 10sec exposure times its a deal:D

Alpha_plus

Two exposures, one at 1600ISO - F 1.4 - 10 sec, second at 1600ISO - F11 - 10 sec.

I took the second exposure for the city lights which were totally blown out in the first exposure, and blended them into the star file. It is fairly simple to open two files into one in Photoshop and then with some masking - donewings.gif

I Simonius

Here are some, also click back two pages, I will continue to use it for many many many years:ivar
    I was also using it in Maine, once I get a gallery up I will post it here.

Thanks
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Wow I am almost tempted to say that's impossible and this is a photochop job! Amazing that you can see the Milky Way through what we all thought was light pollution. Obviously we just weren't looking at it the right way!
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I was with Schmoo at first. I saw the picture on one page and wondered how you got the stars without streaking. Impressive lens and camera.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    I too was amazed! though the conditions were ripe. It was 38 degrees out and the moon was down, leaving the sky as clear and dark as it ever gets here. I can't tell you how long I have looked at the Milky Way wanting to get a descent pic of it....

Here are the two RAW files used, beyond the blending I made one important curves adj to the stars which is move the top right corner to the left, blowing out just the tiny dots/stars. Really dont need detail in a star, after all who knows what you might seeeek7.gif

20100317-d9h5wjwrpjbd6d3p24gkbc82fi.jpg
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2010
    Amazing stuff and gives me some ideas on the merging of photos to get the result I want instead of compromises.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    California Dreaming

Left home last Monday with my wife and two of my three kids on the annual spring break Mammoth ski trip! When no one was looking I slipped onto the I-5 North, which takes the van "by force", very close to the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve:D
    Because this route is longer and everyone knows it after many previous attempts in years past, many loud noises were heard from all the back seat drivers, sending a clear message to me that I will never again be allowed to drive to Mammoth:cry
    Then, something very interesting occurred.
    As we drove the two lane highway through mostly desolate high desert approaching the poppy reserve, everyone began sighing as if I had released a sedative inside the van. Of all the years I had by force, driven my kids by this place there had never been so many flowers covering the desert. I stopped the van, we all got out in the breezy sun and wondered around for a good long time wings.gif

826251028_qRZJb-M.jpg

We made it to Mammoth and the next morning the weather changed!

826251069_6qsiV-M.jpg

With most of the mountain closed down due to high winds and bad conditions we went for a long walk into the back country.

826251081_TeCbQ-M.jpg

Finally the clouds lifted and we could get a glimpse of what the storm had done to the summit of Mammoth. Nothing but deep powderwings.gif

826251101_5mQab-M.jpg

I have skied Mammoth almost every year since high school and not skied Chair 9 with only 6 tracks in the entire basin.

826251118_3xdcY-L.jpg

Well ok 7!

826251121_nuZrp-XL.jpg

We even met up with my daughters boy friend who was happy to get his picture taken while taking off from Mammoth International!

826251170_aQKEc-L.jpg

I really try hard not to work during family vacations!
    That means I dont carry a camera....... but on occasion, I find one in my pocketmwink.gif This trip was one of those amazing moments when things just happened and the conditions were so incredible that everything looked good. We had the time of our lives tip toeing through the Poppies, trudging through deep snow and skiing fresh powder all within three days! I do love this stateiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Great shots and great stories, Marc! Sounds like a special family time for all of you!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Poppies and snow and skis all in one! What an incredible set of opportunities in one state. :D
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2010
    Should I buy CS5?

I will upgrade for sure, because of several new improvements. First there is the content aware tools or as I call them "Cavemans Photoshop", as it will now be so easy to remove anything in a photo, even a caveman can do it :D
    Second, is the new and much improved HDRpro that really has been improved and may replace Photomatix or at the least offer a variation for certain effects and images.
    Third, there are many improvements made to Bridge, making LR all that much more useless to me!
    I know there will be many additional features which I look forward to but for these reasons I will be upgrading.

BTW the brushes now work in the new ACR, no more terrible spots around the edgeswings.gif
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    I'm keen for it too. One thing I thought about with the new content-aware thing was that people will now be able to remove signatures and watermarks.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote:
    I'm keen for it too. One thing I thought about with the new content-aware thing was that people will now be able to remove signatures and watermarks.

I never thought of that! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2010
    You would still have a hole in the picture that would have to be filled with something. This doesn't change the issue of removing someone's watermark.
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2010
    schmoo wrote:
    I never thought of that! rolleyes1.gif

If your income is not derived from licensing your images it is really not that big of a deal. But for myself and other colleagues its a huge deal that has become very frustrating. As much as I want to cruise the internet and have the content of the world free, I believe all good things cost and I am willing to pay!
    Google and a few others would have you believe the oppositeheadscratch.gif I am becoming very familiar with the online copyright registration process offered by the Library of Congressdeal.gif There are ways folks can decipher if a copyright has been chiseled away:D at least these days!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    If your income is not derived from licensing your images it is really not that big of a deal. But for myself and other colleagues its a huge deal that has become very frustrating. As much as I want to cruise the internet and have the content of the world free, I believe all good things cost and I am willing to pay!
    Google and a few others would have you believe the oppositeheadscratch.gif I am becoming very familiar with the online copyright registration process offered by the Library of Congressdeal.gif There are ways folks can decipher if a copyright has been chiseled away:D at least these days!

Hi Marc,

I am not sure how paying for internet access (not counting (ISP's) versus the present model would protect your images?

I also didn't think about the content aware tool, but I will need to see it up front and personal before I know if it's actually useful for more than web or snap shots.

What do you mean by a copyright being chiseled away?

Thanks!

Sam
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2010
    I too was amazed! though the conditions were ripe. It was 38 degrees out and the moon was down, leaving the sky as clear and dark as it ever gets here. I can't tell you how long I have looked at the Milky Way wanting to get a descent pic of it....

Here are the two RAW files used, beyond the blending I made one important curves adj to the stars which is move the top right corner to the left, blowing out just the tiny dots/stars. Really dont need detail in a star, after all who knows what you might seeeek7.gif

Hi Marc,

This image is simply amazing. I had no idea we had the Milky Way viewable from here. Perhaps you don't want to give the secret away (though you don't seem that way), but can you please expand on how you got this shot?

You said it was the right environment for it...39 degrees and dark night...how did you figure that? Do I need to make friends with astronomy buffs?? :)

Plus where is this location?? or can this be done from any location? I would like to replicate this shot if I can....I love space stuff and this photo just blows my mind.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    Sam wrote:

With the new content aware fill on Photoshop CS5, you can delete objects and photoshop will work out what would be there. I've seen some pretty good demonstrations of it filling in where a horse used to be standing - they cut and paste the horse to move it to the right.

This means that it will be fairly simple and unnoticeable to 'chisel' out a © Marc Muench from the bottom corner.

Don't get me wrong though - I won't be doing this at all - I understand where you are coming from Marc. Even as a hobbyist, I would prefer to see my photos with my name on them or paid for in full.
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 18, 2010
    I there has to be a way to diddle the watermark such that removing it will leave remnants. Or code should be added to not touch specific objects.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    ian408 wrote:
    I there has to be a way to diddle the watermark such that removing it will leave remnants. Or code should be added to not touch specific objects.

Ian,

I really don't want additional code to cripple a tool. The last time I tried to scan a dollar bill and use it in a creative composite photoshop wouldn't allow me to print it! If this is no longer true please let me know.

Some excuse about counterfeiting. Now lets see how many counterfeiters are there versus honest users? Real counterfeiters will find a way around this, (use an older version of photoshop or other software) but what a pain if you trying to create an add or collage!

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Hi Marc,

I am not sure how paying for internet access (not counting (ISP's) versus the present model would protect your images?

I also didn't think about the content aware tool, but I will need to see it up front and personal before I know if it's actually useful for more than web or snap shots.

Sam

Dont mean to imply paying for the access but only certain protected content, such as intellectual property!

It has been very possible for folks to remove/chisel away a copyright from digital files for years, now it will be much easierdeal.gif

And Ian is correct in that there have been and will be code that can be used to trace image files on the internet. This can be useful when tracking down illegal uses. Each digital file, I have been told, carries a unique signature which is what becomes potentially traceable. I can not tell you have many times I have found my images located in places they should not be. There are also digital watermarks that can be tagged or embedded to help the process. There is no better way to solve this issue than getting your images registered through the Library of Congressdeal.gif If the image is registered prior to the infringement your attorney fees are covered because it is a statutory punishment.

Fun stuff heymwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    wildviper wrote:
    but can you please expand on how you got this shot?

You said it was the right environment for it...39 degrees and dark night...how did you figure that? Do I need to make friends with astronomy buffs?? :)

Plus where is this location?? or can this be done from any location? I would like to replicate this shot if I can....I love space stuff and this photo just blows my mind.

This was taken next to the bench :D at the summit of La Cumbre Peak above Santa Barbara. The air is clearer when the temperature is lower and there is less humidity. The trick is simply the fast lens and ISO combination. F2.8 for 10 sec at ISO 1600. The elevation helps tremendously as there is far less atmospheric haze.

I would rec renting the lens from somewhere and giving it a whirl. Just make sure you get the version 2 as it is far sharper than previous ones and that makes a big diff when shooting for the starsmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    Dont mean to imply paying for the access but only certain protected content, such as intellectual property!

It has been very possible for folks to remove/chisel away a copyright from digital files for years, now it will be much easierdeal.gif

And Ian is correct in that there have been and will be code that can be used to trace image files on the internet. This can be useful when tracking down illegal uses. Each digital file, I have been told, carries a unique signature which is what becomes potentially traceable. I can not tell you have many times I have found my images located in places they should not be. There are also digital watermarks that can be tagged or embedded to help the process. There is no better way to solve this issue than getting your images registered through the Library of Congressdeal.gif If the image is registered prior to the infringement your attorney fees are covered because it is a statutory punishment.

Fun stuff heymwink.gif

Ah...that clarifies it. I can't image how anyone could do it (but then again I don't really know how half of the technical gadgets I use work), but if they could protect intellectual property, I would sure be for it.

Ah......again....software / code to trace unauhorized use of intellectual property would be great and I do believe some form of it exists today.

I believe the casual stealing / snatching / grabbing / unauthorized use of intellectual property is a result of of an overall break down in society. I have seen photographers who will go apoplectic if they find someone is using one of there images, yet will feel justified in downloading copyrighted music for a DVD or their own use without paying for it.

I would be curious to know (in general) who, individual or business, personal use or commercial use your images have been snatched for.

Personally I have little understanding of taking an others image and representing it as mine.

I plan on waking up tomorrow to a world at peace, crime a thing of the past, and people respecting to rights of others. thumb.gif

If it isn't there I will just continue to clean the guns and fortify the house. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Ian,

I really don't want additional code to cripple a tool. The last time I tried to scan a dollar bill and use it in a creative composite photoshop wouldn't allow me to print it! If this is no longer true please let me know.

Some excuse about counterfeiting. Now lets see how many counterfeiters are there versus honest users? Real counterfeiters will find a way around this, (use an older version of photoshop or other software) but what a pain if you trying to create an add or collage!

Sam

Sam, I can understand but if you're worried about copyright infringement, you should be thinking about what steps you can take to prevent it. Whether it's posting low res, watermarked images or something else--you should be looking at what steps are available to you. Longer term, it could happen that digital items are signed with a key or even encrypted allowing for some public viewing. Regardless. all that stuff can be circumvented (as you are well aware).

Scanning a dollar bill is thwarted in many ways. By the paper the bill is printed on (color, threads, embedded features, etc), by the fact only one type of press is used to print currency, by the copier manufacturers. etc. Each technology relies on some kind of code. Whether inks, software or other, it is code of sorts and someone has to do it.
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    For all those underwater enthusiasts, here is some great work, check out this book :D
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    Ian,

I think we are saying similar things. I agree on taking steps to prevent circumventing copyright and to identify and track it when it does happen. I don't want to see tools and capabilities crippled because someone could, maybe, possible use it to further criminal acctivity. Don't punish the innocent, punish the guilty!

I think your comments on the dollar bill is supporting my position. (Maybe not) As you state there are many ways governments protect and make it difficult for criminals to counterfeit, but to cripple say Photoshop is ridicules.

If I really wanted to, I am sure I could circumvent this, but it makes it more difficult to say create a collage with money in it, like say a poker game, or money flying out the window, or any creative concept with money.

As far as protecting copyright, I am starting a new company. This company will assist copyright holders in perusing and stopping the unathorized use of their work.

I will have associates located in all major cities. Once you the copyright holder has identified an unauthorized use we send out one of our representatives to have a friendly chat. No lawyers, no courts, no delays.

Payment can be made in small unmarked bills put into a PO box. :D

We have contacted Jack Bauer, and he has agreed to head up CPT. (Copyright protection Team)

Satisfaction guaranteed!

Sam!
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    For all those underwater enthusiasts, here is some great work, check out this book :D

Those pictures are jaw dropping. Thanks for the shareclap.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    audiaudi Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Hitting hard times right now as I lost my job, but once I get back to work I will resume contributions to my 'muench workshop fund'!
    :ivar
    "See how willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals are so sensitive as those of the human soul. "
    -John Muir

http://www.austinbphotography.com

Nature Photographers Community
    Founding Member
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/NaturePhotographers
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    I think your comments on the dollar bill is supporting my position. (Maybe not) As you state there are many ways governments protect and make it difficult for criminals to counterfeit, but to cripple say Photoshop is ridicules.

If I really wanted to, I am sure I could circumvent this, but it makes it more difficult to say create a collage with money in it, like say a poker game, or money flying out the window, or any creative concept with money.

I'm curious. You want to make creative use of money but can't because copying it doesn't work. And you don't want to "cripple" Photoshop because that's "ridiculous". Copying and scanning currency is "crippled" by the programs that run your scanner--in addition to the other stuff I mentioned and by laws preventing it.

If we had a reasonable way for signing a digital photo and for Photoshop to recognize that, how would it be different than the currency example I used? I certainly don't think that's crippling PS either.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Happy for my dad! This image of his was selected by the ILCP to auction off at Cristies as one of the top 40 nature images of all time.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Wow!! What a breathtaking image, Marc! I'd hoped to go on your dad's workshop trip to Big Bend last week but wasn't able to. I feel I really missed an opportunity!

Thanks for sharing this shot--it's exquisite!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2010
    Happy for my dad!

It's beautiful!