Options

New Canon EOS-1D Mark III

Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited May 29, 2007 in Cameras

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Wow, very impressive!! I just took a look at the rest of their press releases and it looks like that is the only new SLR they released. Doesn't look like there are replacements for the 5D, 30D, or XTi with the DIGIC III processor. I wonder if these will be announced at a later date?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    There was only one thing I wanted from the latest 1D, and it didn't deliver. Somewhere, there was a rumor that it would have a 1V-esque detachable portrait grip, and I had really hoped that would be true. Oh well...there's always next year.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Now the only shocker that I didn't read about, how much? eek7.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Goodness, they've certainly improved it a lot. The only thing they don't really talk about is improved dynamic range -- just some tricks to protect against the weakness.

I'm very eager to see the corners of the new 16-35. Sounds like the 5D has forced them to deal with its softness.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

$4K

Due to the new announcements, I updated my profile.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    $4K

Due to the new announcements, I updated my profile.
    You serious ? $4k ???
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    It's three grand cheaper? How is that possible?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

According to Phil on dpreview $3999.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    Here's a link to Canon's whitepaper on it. More information than you want to know. mwink.gif

http://www.robgalbraith.com/public_files/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III_White_Paper.pdf

I know I just found my next camera. nod.gif

Oh yeah, and the sample photo ain't too shabby.
    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/downloads/motocross-bike.jpg
    (Take a long time to download.)

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

No, no, it's a replacement for the IDIIn, which has a street price of $3400.

-joel
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:

You are thinking of their flagship 1DsMkII. That's still $7K US.

This new 1DmkIII is their topline sports/wildlife camera.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    "At the request of sports and wildlife photographers, a new micro-adjustment feature allows for very fine changes in the AF point of focus for each lens type in use, along with the addition of adjustable focus-tracking sensitivity as another sophisticated new AF feature."

Are they talking about a fix for front/back focusing on different lenses?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    kdog wrote:

-joel

So they don't have a new replacement for the flagship product then?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Brooks P wrote:
    "At the request of sports and wildlife photographers, a new micro-adjustment feature allows for very fine changes in the AF point of focus for each lens type in use, along with the addition of adjustable focus-tracking sensitivity as another sophisticated new AF feature."

Are they talking about a fix for front/back focusing on different lenses?
    nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif

Now you can go through all your lenses and calibrate the camera exactly to each lens. It remembers the setting on each lens model, but not for different copies of the same model. It'll remember 20 different lens types. This is huge.

-joel
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    So they don't have a new replacement for the flagship product then?

Yes. They do. But you won't be seeing it until ~September-ish. Probably. Maybe. Possibly. 22MP, 2/3rds the size of the mkII.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    kdog wrote:

-joel

I was just thinking, since it has no "n" in th name, is that it for the full frame flagship?

Malte
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Wow. Wow! WOW!
    Man,
    this is one sweet piece of gear! clap.gif
    Superfast, great resolution, iso from 50 to 6400, new menues, direct ISO access and view, Live View, file transmitter and RC...
    I'm blown away... Speechless...
    And all that for under $4K!!!!

Oh well. If - big if :-)- my side business goes OK, I'll be brandishing that baby in Glacier NP:-) deal.gif Until today I was thinking of getting some extra glass, but now, hey, I got a new target:-) :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    With all those features and the price point that is a viable option to go for instead of the 5D. I'd like still having a small crop factor like that one.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Wow. That is some serious fire power. Time to figure out that embezzlement scheme.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    This thing is a monster!

Live view (Could be major)
    Almost twice the battery life, and a Lithium-Ion formulation (Major for cold weather shooting)
    Faster throughput
    ISO 6400
    300,000 cycle shutter (Wow)
    10 fps (Wow)
    19 cross AF sensors (Wow)
    Micro focus adjustment w/memory
    A/D conversion of 14 bits/channel (Huge improvement)
    Silent Drive mode
    More dynamic range, skewed towards protecting the highlights
    Photosites are the same size as previous, despite higher resolution

I'm betting this is a major home run for Canon.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    OMG! I think the camera to get me seriously thinking of ways to raise the funds to go 1-series & upgrade my 20D has arrived. ziggy has already named my main points of interest (ISO, FPS, silent drive, AF). And for $4k no less!! :yikes

Now we know why Canon's been quiet for a bit. Just biding their time for a crushing blow.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Heh, I just happened to be at the Canon repair facility in Irvine this morning right as the official announcement was given to their people. Naturally of course, it was like Christmas morning with all the new goodies that Santa Canon left for us thumb.gif

Things I personally am stoked about...

-Intergration of Anti-dust is becoming standard with all new Canon DSLR lines (hopefully)

-10 frames per second! That's almost one half of a live movie grab!(24fps)

-Upgrade of the LCD viewfinder. Of course, LiveLCD is kind of a novelty but still has some cool practical use)

-New 580ex with metal clamps AND PC cord (bout time!)

-16-35 MkII (Could this finally kill the 17-40 on the wide end?)

Things I am very bummed about with this announcement (or lack thereof)

-1DMII @10.1 megapixel. Dont get me wrong, I think its great to see an upgrade but I really wanted a unified 1D series full-frame (with an optional crop factor and quality level)

-Still no new IDSMIII announcement. By the time we actually see a 1DSMIII, fall colors will be here if we're lucky.

-Still no replacement for the 100-400 (Like the rumored 100-400 f4, or even the 400 f4)

-No 800 f5.6 DO IS (It was a rumor but a cool one)

Ah well, its good to see Canon finally make an upgrade to the pro level equipment. Woot!
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Oh yeah, and one other thing...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For those of us who were hoping for the same battery style that our 1D series cameras have been using for three generations of 1D series cameras.... we now have to get a whole new line of propeitary batteries (LC-E4 Lithium-ion battery pack)

Ack
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Looks like its time to ask myself the very serious question, "Do I really need two kidneys?"
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    More dynamic range, skewed towards protecting the highlights
    Interesting, Ziggy. I didn't read that as increased dynamic range. I read it as a gimmick to preserve highlights by changing the exposure settings.

But then again, I'm not at all technical.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Interesting, Ziggy. I didn't read that as increased dynamic range. I read it as a gimmick to preserve highlights by changing the exposure settings.

But then again, I'm not at all technical.

My read is that it is a little bit of each. My impression is that most digital cameras fit the dynamic range of the sensor (which is usually more than 8 bits) into 8 bits by compressing the shadow detail. This is why you often see recommendations to expose to the right of the histogram: it means less compression.

The Mark III has 14 bits coming from the sensor so the camera is compressing 6 bits of dynamic range at the dark end. What the new mode may be doing is shifting some of the dynamic range off the top end and compressing the highlights as well. This is roughly exquivalent to boosting the exposure in ACR/Lightroom and using highlight recovery. Potentially having compression at both ends will give the Mark III a much more "film-like" response curve. In practice it means that the highlights blow out more gracefully rather than the cliff of most DSLRs.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    sRAW
    New sRAW, Small RAW image mode:
    2.5mp fully functional RAW files, for those who want smaller size (white paper suggests wedding candids) yet retain the full control of the RAW based workflow! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    I just finished wiping the drool from my chin. Why does $4k for a camera body suddenly seem like a good deal? headscratch.gif

Until now, I have been so happy with my 20D, but now I know I am going to notice everything it doesn't do well enough. Time to start saving I guess.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    I called B&H this morning to put my order in for one, they told me there is no confirmation to them yet on a release date or a price that they B&H will be selling the camera for.

I was told to call back in March, I was also told that there would be no advanced orders, 1st come, 1st served.

I'm hoping that this camera will be available for my trip to Katmai in July,What a great addition to an already phenominal trip this would be.wings.gif
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/