Options

New Canon EOS-1D Mark III

Comments

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    goodcrna wrote:
    Will the 1D Mark III still have enough room inside for dual storage slots? SD & CF cards?
    nod.gif
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    goodcrna wrote:
    Will the 1D Mark III still have enough room inside for dual storage slots? SD & CF cards?
    and, if I read the white paper correctly, it can automatically switch from cf to sd card when the cf card is full. It can also write to both cards with different types, e.g., raw to cf and small jpg to sd. This is a huge feature imho.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    White paper
    Seamus wrote:
    and, if I read the white paper correctly, it can automatically switch from cf to sd card when the cf card is full. It can also write to both cards with different types, e.g., raw to cf and small jpg to sd. This is a huge feature imho.

A great read altogether. Explains a lot. No coincise review can replace it. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    Wow! Time to start saving again!

Either I will add a 2nd 1D2N, or I will get the 3, but either way the 20D is going to be on the for sale block once I get close to the funds!

I'm pretty much in a constant state of saving....WHY DOES CANON HAVE TO COME OUT WITH NEW STUFF SO OFTEN!!!!!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    Oh yeah, and one other thing...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For those of us who were hoping for the same battery style that our 1D series cameras have been using for three generations of 1D series cameras.... we now have to get a whole new line of propeitary batteries (LC-E4 Lithium-ion battery pack)

Ack

Yeah, I agree, that is a disappointment. The new battery does last longer, but the 1D batteries last plenty long for anything I do-- I seem to get three or four big shoots out of one charge. The new battery does measure it's charge and display that more precisely though.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited February 23, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Yeah, I agree, that is a disappointment. The new battery does last longer, but the 1D batteries last plenty long for anything I do-- I seem to get three or four big shoots out of one charge. The new battery does measure it's charge and display that more precisely though.

I believe it's also lighter and smaller, absolutely no memory "effect", less affected by temperature, less "self discharge", and ..., Nikon has been using Lithium batteries in its D2 cameras since 2003 (starting with the D2H).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    I'm blown away by the specs and features on this camera. Canon has definitely been listening and they are delivering! This is going to be one of the "greats".

Erich
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I'm guessing too...but what I think I understand is that most cameras are 12 bits from the sensor poured into a 16-bit raw file format, while this new camera is 14 bits from the sensor into a 16-bit raw file format.

Seen another way:
    JPEG = 12-bit data to 8-bit file
    RAW (typically) = 12-bit data to 16-bit file
    RAW (1DMkIII) = 14-bit data to 16-bit file

That's how it goes...you got it!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think Canon probably did improve the dynamic range of the chip through reduced noise and reduced clipping of the highlights.

The reduced noise appears to be the result of better on-chip noise control as well as better sampling provided by the improved A/D converter.

The reduced clipping appears to be the result of improved statistical algorithms in the digital processing units (Digic III), again partially influenced by the improved A/D converter. (More sample value gradations means better statistical predictions.)

It would be a good guess that actual measurable improvement is less than 1 stop, otherwise Canon Marketing would be all over it. :D

BTW, some medium format digital backs have 16-bit A/D converters and processors now! I have my fingers crossed for the near future of 35mm format (and APS-C/H) dSLRs.

Ziggy,

I agree with you that the extra 2 bits probably don't tilt the scales that much in terms of noise but the dynamic range and tonal gradation improvement should be noticeable.

We may not see a stop improvement across the board but my guess is that the noise increase as a function of ISO will be a tad lower than before.

Erich
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2007
    Just some more street intelligence. I spoke with my local shop and they are confident the street price will be between $3,700 and $3,900. This shop tends to be about 15% more expensive than B&H, so B&H may come in between $3,100 and $3,300. That would drop the cost of a new MKIIN well below $3,000 I would think. My local shop thinks used MKII and MKIIN prices will be between $1,500 and $2,000. That makes the choice to jump over the 30D really easy for me. All speculation at this point, but it sure is fun playing with the virtual dollars!
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Will my existing L glass work with this new beast?

My wife is going to be PISSED when I introduce her to my new camera... :)
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited February 25, 2007
    Prepare your wife for the new camera. That's a "yes."
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    wow.... time to start saving my pennies again. lol3.gif

no seriously though. this is the camera i want to graduate with. is the crop rate still 1.3x? or did they up it to 1.6 or finally go cold turkey w/ FF?

if its FF then this will promise to be amazing. the 3" LCD in the back sounds good enough already! and 10 fps. wow. is all i have to say. I wanna hear a camera when i shoot... not small arms fire.rolleyes1.gif

EDIT: this is beautiful. http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/images/hiRes/20070221_hiRes_eos1dmarkiii_back.jpg
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    Daniel, 1.3 crop on this cam. 1.3 (APS-H) has been the sensor size for a while on this series, as the new 1DmkIII is a high-performance sports/wildlife camera with a huge processing buffer and throughput. Currently, a FF sensor would create file sizes too big to achieve 10fps. It is not the replacement for the 1DsMkII. That is yet to come.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Daniel, 1.3 crop on this cam. 1.3 (APS-H) has been the sensor size for a while on this series, as th 1DmkIII is a high-performance sports/wildlife camera with a huge processing buffer and throughput. It is not the replacement for the 1DsMkII. That is yet to come.
    so what is this going to do to the prices of the Mk2n? or is it going to eliminate the market for them.
    would it be a more reasonable thought that one would be ahead to buy the mk2n since the only true upgrade it seams is 2 mp and 2 fps? and a prettier screen.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    DanielB wrote:
    so what is this going to do to the prices of the Mk2n? or is it going to eliminate the market for them.

Yeah, used prices will go down on the n, but that is always a known when things change. Rebates on existing stock perhaps, if quantities are high enough. Some folks have been waiting for this to get in on lower prices. Others can't wait to drop $4K on the update.

DanielB wrote:
    would it be a more reasonable thought that one would be ahead to buy the mk2n since the only true upgrade it seams is 2 mp and 2 fps? and a prettier screen.

Depends. Are you shooting sports or fast wildlife? This is a specialty camera, and its heavier than what you're used to. Read the specs and white paper, already linked in prior pages. The MkIII has a lot more to offer then a couple more MP and fps. LOTS more.
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yeah, used prices will go down on the n, but that is always a known when things change. Rebates on existing stock perhaps, if quantities are high enough. Some folks have been waiting for this to get in on lower prices. Others can't wait to drop $4K on the update.

Depends. Are you shooting sports or fast wildlife? This is a specialty camera, and its heavier than what you're used to. Read the specs and white paper, already linked in prior pages. The MkIII has a lot more to offer then a couple more MP and fps. LOTS more.

read it.... and wow. like stated earlier, did Canon just finally pull the fingers out of the ears and listen?eek7.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Very impressive, buuut...

Not only is GPS a clunky add-on, it's an add-on to the clunky Wi-Fi add-on. :pissed :crazy

Malte
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Prepare your wife for the new camera. That's a "yes."

Yeah...I started greasing the skids with my wife yesterday. Mentioning how I thought it was interesting how everyone was raving about this new camera and commenting how good a camera it was. I never mentioned I would like to HAVE the camera but it was enough to see her face expression to know that this isn't going to happen anytime soon... rolleyes1.gif

Erich
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited February 25, 2007
    Wow! It's a nice upgrade to an already great camera.

I wonder if existing 1D batteries will work with it?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Wow! It's a nice upgrade to an already great camera.

I wonder if existing 1D batteries will work with it?
    Ahem. rolleyes1.gifFLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    You need new batteries, but you get TWO cup holders!! rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Well, as super-duper cool as the Mk III is, it's not in my near future. :cry

Floated that trial balloon this weekend, and well, the wife reacted with :gun2:thwak:beatwax:grim ...so after beating a hasty retreat...:hurt I mentioned the Mk IIN prices ought to be dropping down to the $1500 range--which sounds so reasonable after trying for $4k just a while ago. :hide

...I've been waiting forever to use some of those smileys....
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Well, as super-duper cool as the Mk III is, it's not in my near future. :cry

Floated that trial balloon this weekend, and well, the wife reacted with :gun2:thwak:beatwax:grim ...so after beating a hasty retreat...:hurt I mentioned the Mk IIN prices ought to be dropping down to the $1500 range--which sounds so reasonable after trying for $4k just a while ago. :hide

...I've been waiting forever to use some of those smileys....

$1500USD for a Canon 1D MKIIN is probably a bit wishfull.

A good used Canon 1D is about that now, and a good used Canon 1D MKII is about $1800-$2600 or so.

The Canon 1D MKIIN is still available new for $3400-$3500, and $2500-$3000 used.

(Prices gleaned from B&H, KEH, Adorama and FM Buy & Sell today)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Wow! This sure looks like it's going to be a fantastic camera!

I've got a 20D now, so this makes the jump to the 1D series easier.. I think i'd still keep my 20D though, at least as a second or backup camera. I shoot Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and other special events/parties, so the 20D is fine for this, but I also shoot sports including a lot of football night games.. Sounds like this camera with a nice 70-200 f 2.8 would help a lot!

What do you guys think the top realistic justifications for buying this camera are? Will it be a dramatic improvement for me in sports and event photography over my 20D ?
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    $1500USD for a Canon 1D MKIIN is probably a bit wishfull.

My local shop is expecting $1500 to $2000 to be the price for a used MKIIN. I think that's too low. I'd expect $2200 +/- $200 to be the realistic range for a body in good shape. We'll have to wait for the MKIII to get in the hands of some people before we really know what the used market will look like of course.

A lot of guys in my local club felt the 1D-MKIIN was not too big of an improvement over the 1D-MKII (NOT the 1Ds-MKII), so those people may sell now, meaning even more choice and competition.

No matter what, there will be great deals to be had this summer.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    Wow! This sure looks like it's going to be a fantastic camera!

I've got a 20D now, so this makes the jump to the 1D series easier.. I think i'd still keep my 20D though, at least as a second or backup camera. I shoot Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and other special events/parties, so the 20D is fine for this, but I also shoot sports including a lot of football night games.. Sounds like this camera with a nice 70-200 f 2.8 would help a lot!

What do you guys think the top realistic justifications for buying this camera are? Will it be a dramatic improvement for me in sports and event photography over my 20D ?

For daytime sports (plenty of light) the Canon 20D/30D work great. 5 FPS is plenty and the sensitivity of the camera allows very fast AF. The Nikon D200 is also a contender.

For night sports, the Canon 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII are the kings and the Nikon D2H/D2Hs are also very competent. AF is greatly improved, and ISO3200 is very usable (on the Canons).

Typical outdoor sports lenses are the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8L (and the IS version), Canon 300mm, f2.8L IS, Canon 300mm, f4L IS, Canon 200mm, f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm, f2.8, Sigma 120-300mm, f2.8, Sigma 300mm, f2.8, etc.. Nikon have a similar lens lineup, except they also have a gorgeous Nikkor 200mm, f2 G VR that is worth the price of a system. Canon used to have one (dopes) and now the Canon 200mm, f1.8L costs as much alone as the Nikkor 200mm plus a D2Hs camera (therebouts).

Indoor sports lenses tend to be a bit wider but of the f2-f2.8 variety.

A lot of this is IMHO, but I have the Canon 1D MKII and I got twice as many keepers at night games vs my XT. I also did better than a friend who had a 20D.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    I agree with Ziggy (do I ever;-)
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For daytime sports (plenty of light) the Canon 20D/30D work great. 5 FPS is plenty and the sensitivity of the camera allows very fast AF. The Nikon D200 is also a contender.

For night sports, the Canon 1D MKII/MKIIN/MKIII are the kings and the Nikon D2H/D2Hs are also very competent. AF is greatly improved, and ISO3200 is very usable (on the Canons).

It's the faster/better AF in low light (plus some nice extras) that you're paying the premium for..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    but I also shoot sports including a lot of football night games.. Sounds like this camera with a nice 70-200 f 2.8 would help a lot! ... Will it be a dramatic improvement for me in sports and event photography over my 20D ?
    Absolutely. I found the focus tracking on the 20D marginal for football, especially at night. The 1D Mark II is amazing at focus and tracking. Low-light performance is definitely a step up as well. You will love the 1-series.

A comment on the lens for football. It seems above as if you do not have a 70-200/2.8 yet. Most don't consider this a good football lens. If funds are tight save $$$ and get the 200/2.8 as you will seldom need to use the zoom feature. But what you really want for football is the 300/2.8, if not a 400/2.8. Those are expensive beasts. FWIW I still regret selling my 300/2.8, that is how much I recommend the lens if you can swing it.

The 70-200/2.8 is a great lens for lots of uses. If you need lots of uses then by all means get it. If you are looking for a football lens though there are much better choices is what I'm getting at.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thank you very much for your replies!

Yea, sounds like the 1 series, especially this new one will be a lot better than the 20D especially for low light action photography.
    As Ziggy noted,, yea, I get a good amount of non-keepers...

Nope, don't own the 70-200 2.8 IS... -yet
    I am considering it as my primary action lense since I shoot plenty of other sports other than football including stuff like skiing and also theatre shows, concerts, parties and other events.
    I have very little experience with non-zoom telephoto lenses, but it sure sounds like a 300 2.8 would be sweet.
    Although due to my little experience with this, I'm not sure about zooming... hmm. I'm used to being able to zoom...
    Although, If I buy this camera, I'll still keep the 20D with my 75-300 so I could easily get shots like sideline shots with that.

--and the 300mm is pretty expen$ive! What is the advantage over the 200mm 2.8 than the 70-200 ? I would think that the 70-200 would be better, although the 200 would save me money. (haha, I need to look cool with a famous white lense though rolleyes1.gifmwink.gif :ivar )

Here's an important question though... Would it be a little counterintuitive to have this brand new, nice camera with just an Okay lense?

Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .