Options

New Canon EOS-1D Mark III

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Maybe Patch29 can talk about Canon's history when it comes to delivery after announcement.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    the on the fly LCD viewing isgoing to be ballerific!

time to find a buyer for one of the kidneys.

whats the APS-H size sensor equivalent to in already existing canon bodies?

lots of cool upgrades coming up, i cant even take this all in right now. eek7.gif

dont mind me when i feint.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    The Live View LCD doesn't do anything for me, just something to go wrong. I can just see someone holding thier camera at arms length looking at the LCD to shoot.....rolleyes1.gif An SLR with live view....not for me.

But I can't wait till it comes out.....so I can get a deal on a 1D MKIIn! :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    But I can't wait till it comes out.....so I can get a deal on a 1D MKIIn! :D

Haha.. thats for sure. I'm still aiming for a full-size sensor slr like the 5D. Waiting for those puppies to go down in price. Crossing those fingers!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Same here:-)
    JimM wrote:
    I just finished wiping the drool from my chin. Why does $4k for a camera body suddenly seem like a good deal? headscratch.gif
    Two years ago I was dreaming of 20D...
    Now I have two 30D-s and for some reason the idea of getting Mark III by this summer does not seem to be a utopical one ...ne_nau.gifmwink.gif
    Man, I like my hobby/sidebiz!:ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    My read is that it is a little bit of each. My impression is that most digital cameras fit the dynamic range of the sensor (which is usually more than 8 bits) into 8 bits by compressing the shadow detail. This is why you often see recommendations to expose to the right of the histogram: it means less compression.

The Mark III has 14 bits coming from the sensor so the camera is compressing 6 bits of dynamic range at the dark end. What the new mode may be doing is shifting some of the dynamic range off the top end and compressing the highlights as well. This is roughly exquivalent to boosting the exposure in ACR/Lightroom and using highlight recovery. Potentially having compression at both ends will give the Mark III a much more "film-like" response curve. In practice it means that the highlights blow out more gracefully rather than the cliff of most DSLRs.
    Interesting post.

Thanks Liquid.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    -Upgrade of the LCD viewfinder. Of course, LiveLCD is kind of a novelty but still has some cool practical use)
    Remember that this is a Wildlife/Sports camera. Think of the superbowl or other big sporting event where at the end you see all the photogs surounding the coaches or MVPs and the photogs are holding their cameras up in the air hoping they get someone in the frame. That is a perfect example of what this would be useful for.
    Pezpix wrote:
    Things I am very bummed about with this announcement (or lack thereof)

-1DMII @10.1 megapixel. Dont get me wrong, I think its great to see an upgrade but I really wanted a unified 1D series full-frame (with an optional crop factor and quality level)
    Again, this is a Wildlife/Sports camera. The APS-H sensor is a plus in those fields. Full Frame just makes your lens that much shorter, if you really desire FF than you'll just have to wait for the 1DS MrkIII.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    APS-H is a 1.3x crop factor
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    FiveholeFivehole Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Live view
    I think they shoud have made the LCD screen tiltable like the Oly 330. It would make doing low down macros and portraits with a tripod easier.
    It's still an awesome sounding camera.bowdown.gif
    Not in my budget though:cry
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    My read is that it is a little bit of each. My impression is that most digital cameras fit the dynamic range of the sensor (which is usually more than 8 bits) into 8 bits by compressing the shadow detail. This is why you often see recommendations to expose to the right of the histogram: it means less compression.

The Mark III has 14 bits coming from the sensor so the camera is compressing 6 bits of dynamic range at the dark end. What the new mode may be doing is shifting some of the dynamic range off the top end and compressing the highlights as well. This is roughly exquivalent to boosting the exposure in ACR/Lightroom and using highlight recovery. Potentially having compression at both ends will give the Mark III a much more "film-like" response curve. In practice it means that the highlights blow out more gracefully rather than the cliff of most DSLRs.
    I'm lost here--granted I have not read the white paper. Is this feature only applicable to JPEG mode since you're talking about 8-bit compression? How does this apply to 16-bit RAW files?
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    wow. I need a 3rd job.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Remember that this is a Wildlife/Sports camera. Think of the superbowl or other big sporting event where at the end you see all the photogs surounding the coaches or MVPs and the photogs are holding their cameras up in the air hoping they get someone in the frame. That is a perfect example of what this would be useful for.

Again, this is a Wildlife/Sports camera. The APS-H sensor is a plus in those fields. Full Frame just makes your lens that much shorter, if you really desire FF than you'll just have to wait for the 1DS MrkIII.

No, you read it wrong.

I want the 1D series to unify, creating a full-frame/1.3x crop adjustable thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    No, you read it wrong.

I want the 1D series to unify, creating a full-frame/1.3x crop adjustable thumb.gif
    I thought that was called the crop tool in PS? I never really saw the point having that in camera.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Pezpix wrote:
    -10 frames per second! That's almost one half of a live movie grab!(24fps)

-1DMII @10.1 megapixel. Dont get me wrong, I think its great to see an upgrade but I really wanted a unified 1D series full-frame (with an optional crop factor and quality level)

My understanding is that full frame sensors require a two pass process to extract all the data which slows the frame rate down. Until there is significant shift in sensor technology, Canon will be making fast APS-H and slower full frame bodies. While the resolution for the 1D line is likely going to be kept to something sane so it doesn't chew up memory cards too quickly at those blistering speeds, expect the 1Ds line to push resolution to the limit.

On a side note, various things I have read recently have made me think that Canon may come out with yet another mount specifically targeted at APS-H (similar to the EF-S lenses but with L-style construction). I am a little surprised that wasn't part of the 1DIII announcement.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Maybe Patch29 can talk about Canon's history when it comes to delivery after announcement.

Time to enter the way back machine.

1Ds announced 9/24/02, purchased the first one from my retailer in Atlanta about sixty days later in November.

1DmkII announced 1/29/04, not the earliest buyer, but I had two in my possession by mid-May.

Sometimes they are very fast, sometimes they are not. I can believe April for a delivery date. If I can get a fair price for my 1DmkII cameras, I could see upgrading both bodies, a spare battery or two, two 580EXII flashes, two CPE4 battery packs (hopefully I can sell the 550EX's and CPE2's and finally upgrade the 16-35 to the new one, this could turn out to be another expensive year. deal.gif :yikes
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    I'm lost here--granted I have not read the white paper. Is this feature only applicable to JPEG mode since you're talking about 8-bit compression? How does this apply to 16-bit RAW files?

I am guessing about this feature. I don't know anything.

However, if my theory is right, setting this would cause your RAW files to exposed, say, a stop darker to leave extra headroom for the whites. Some extra metadata would be added to the RAW file to indicate this. Then DPP (or your favorite RAW converter) would then compensate by pumping up the brightness to bring 18% grey back to where it should be. Normally the camera clips about +3 stops from middle grey. In this mode you would have 4 stops available above middle gray. As a first pass I would bring middle grey and +1 back to where they should be and the roll off the curve to compress +2, +3 and +4 into the top two stops of the 8 bit range.

When shooting bright scenes with my 5D I will often deliberately underexposed to leave some extra headroom for the highlights. Then I'll adjust the curve in ACR to bring the mid tones up to proper exposure. I do this so I don't blow out the highlights. What I am guessing is that Canon is building this same process directly into the camera. Wedding photographers often face scenes with lots of shiny white cloth which can easily blow out if properly normally exposed. When you are shooting 1000s of pictures in a day having the camera help you out with that part of the workflow will be a substantial boon.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Patch,
    patch29 wrote:
    ...this could turn out to be another expensive year. deal.gif :yikes
    That's what Schedule K or Schedule C is for. Write it off:-) deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    Canon's 1D series has always been a APS-H (i.e. 1.3X crop factor). My 1D Mark II is one, for example. So was the Mark II-N. And I believe the original 1D was as well.

I saw the Canon white paper talking about this sensor being the largest size possible to process in one pass with existing semiconductor technology. Not exactly sure what that meant, and how a full-frame sensor must be fabricated differently. But I'm guessing there must be some limitation with doing a high-speed full frame sensor. Notice none of Canon's full-frame cameras come close to 8 frames per second, let alone 10 fps.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:

I'm guessing too...but what I think I understand is that most cameras are 12 bits from the sensor poured into a 16-bit raw file format, while this new camera is 14 bits from the sensor into a 16-bit raw file format.

Seen another way:
    JPEG = 12-bit data to 8-bit file
    RAW (typically) = 12-bit data to 16-bit file
    RAW (1DMkIII) = 14-bit data to 16-bit file
    gluwater wrote:
    I thought that was called the crop tool in PS? I never really saw the point having that in camera.

The high-end cameras produce so many megapixels that some jobs don't actually need them all, like Web-only or newsprint-only jobs. The feature to crop in camera means you only store the megapixels you actually think you're ever going to use for that assignment. That means your card and hard drive space is used more efficiently. You get to store more pictures.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    The high-end cameras produce so many megapixels that some jobs don't actually need them all, like Web-only or newsprint-only jobs. The feature to crop in camera means you only store the megapixels you actually think you're ever going to use for that assignment. That means your card and hard drive space is used more efficiently. You get to store more pictures.
    I thought that is what sRAW was for? Plus from what I have seen the only people using HSC are wildlife shooters and that is to get your subject larger in the frame. I have never heard someone using it to conserve storage space.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    TylerW wrote:
    Looks like its time to ask myself the very serious question, "Do I really need two kidneys?"

or both arms? are you left handed, cause I hear right arms are in demand....
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    or both arms? are you left handed, cause I hear right arms are in demand....
    No you don't need one for Europe rolleyes1.gif. Sorry, I just thought I would get that out of the way.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited February 23, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Interesting, Ziggy. I didn't read that as increased dynamic range. I read it as a gimmick to preserve highlights by changing the exposure settings.

But then again, I'm not at all technical.

I think Canon probably did improve the dynamic range of the chip through reduced noise and reduced clipping of the highlights.

The reduced noise appears to be the result of better on-chip noise control as well as better sampling provided by the improved A/D converter.

The reduced clipping appears to be the result of improved statistical algorithms in the digital processing units (Digic III), again partially influenced by the improved A/D converter. (More sample value gradations means better statistical predictions.)

It would be a good guess that actual measurable improvement is less than 1 stop, otherwise Canon Marketing would be all over it. :D

BTW, some medium format digital backs have 16-bit A/D converters and processors now! I have my fingers crossed for the near future of 35mm format (and APS-C/H) dSLRs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I think Canon probably did improve the dynamic range of the chip through reduced noise and reduced clipping of the highlights.
    It would be a good guess that actual measurable improvement is less than 1 stop, otherwise Canon Marketing would be all over it.

I guess we are just going to have to get some of these and try them out, eh? It's a hard job but somebody has to do it..
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    That's not what Nikon's high speed crop mode was for, though. If you only need so many megapixels for an assignment then you choose a smaller JPG to record the images in. But in that case you're still using the entire sensor (ie. its not cropped). What Pezpix was getting at was the Nikon D2H, I believe, which offers a sports mode that uses only a center crop of the image. This has a few benefits though I always thought it was gimmicky. One, you are reading fewer pixels off the sensor, so the sensor can be read more quickly, thus ready for the next shot sooner. And this did increase the rapid-fire rate of that camera. It also increases the apparant magnification of the lens, good for sports.

Notice that medium-JPG or small-JPG do not attain any of those goals. They still read all the sensor data, still use all the sensor, there is no crop-factor, etc.

And yes, you could always setup a Photoshop action to crop the center of all your images for you.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Jeff Hirsch at FotoCare will be happy to put you on his waiting list. You'll get the camera as soon as anyone does and for this camera anyway you won't pay any less at B&H &etc until it's been shipping for a few months. And you get to deal with Jeff, which is always a pleasure (though sometimes an expensive one.)
    Froggy wrote:
    I called B&H this morning to put my order in for one, they told me there is no confirmation to them yet on a release date or a price that they B&H will be selling the camera for.

I was told to call back in March, I was also told that there would be no advanced orders, 1st come, 1st served.

I'm hoping that this camera will be available for my trip to Katmai in July,What a great addition to an already phenominal trip this would be.wings.gif
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    No you don't need one for Europe rolleyes1.gif. Sorry, I just thought I would get that out of the way.

nice...haha.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    Wow! Time to start saving again!

Either I will add a 2nd 1D2N, or I will get the 3, but either way the 20D is going to be on the for sale block once I get close to the funds!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2007
    What about storage???
    Will the 1D Mark III still have enough room inside for dual storage slots? SD & CF cards?