Options

New Canon EOS-1D Mark III

Comments

• Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Is there a certain shutter speed that I have to be at to get the full frames per second of a camera? Obviously I have to be in burst mode,, but I have a 20D.. how can I make it go the full 5 FPS (i think it has 5fps)..

Thanks!
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited March 13, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    Is there a certain shutter speed that I have to be at to get the full frames per second of a camera? Obviously I have to be in burst mode,, but I have a 20D.. how can I make it go the full 5 FPS (i think it has 5fps)..

Thanks!

Hi Nate!

Yes, the 20D has a 5fps capability. In Canon speak, you want "Continuous mode", which is selected via the "Drive/ISO" button.

Obviously, some shutter speeds are too long to allow full 5fps speed. I guess if you are shooting a slow shutter, you probably won't need the 5fps anyway, so dosn't worry about it.

5fps is mostly useful for sports/action photography, which could include some event photography. Worry more about fast Auto-Focus during those occasions when you need the 5fps, as the camera will not fire until you acquire focus lock.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    natephoto wrote:

Thanks!
    This belongs in another thread, but for now... yes, the 20D can do 5fps. You need to be in "continuous drive" mode. More info about the menus, etc. in the manual, or here at dpreview.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Just make sure you can get a shutter of at least 1/max fps. Basically anything that is handholdable is fast enough as you get into the 1/focal length rule of thumb way before this.

BTW, yes the 20D is 5fps, and I have rarely run into situations where the shutter is too slow (those few occasions being sudden lower-lighting in a stage performance--and the whole series is blown anyway due to blur from both camera shake & performer movement).

Edit: Sheesh, are we all online now? You guys both posted while I was!

Nimai wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe a clandestine-to-the-wife stock sale... thumb.gif
    If only I had stock to sell for it... I'll be watching the effect on used Mk IIN prices and possibly 1D Mk II (and hopefully be able to scrape up the cash for one). Hmmm, home improvement...camera...home improvement...camera. That dog house doesn't look TOO cold & the dog gets to sleep inside at night anyway... headscratch.gif And back in the real world my 20D is still chugging along just fine & I can produce just as good of an image as my buddy shooting the 1Ds Mk II.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    And back in the real world my 20D is still chugging along just fine & I can produce just as good of an image as my buddy shooting the 1Ds Mk II.
    *_* I bought a 30D less than a year ago. I have absolutely no business lusting over the MIII. No business at all!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nimai wrote:
    *_* I bought a 30D less than a year ago. I have absolutely no business lusting over the MIII. No business at all!! rolleyes1.gif

Doesn't stop it from happening though!!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Doesn't stop it from happening though!!
    To be honest, this thing doesn't put the cream in my twinkie.... I dunno, i guess it depends on what you are shooting.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    To be honest, this thing doesn't put the cream in my twinkie..
    eek7.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
    Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry, guess I should have put it in a different topic. Lession learned,, I'll check out the other topic for more questions and to check out the info there. I've definitely done the full 5 fps for some sports,, just wanted some info on it.

Thanks for the help!
    Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2007
    Get ready for some Mark I's to hit the flea market! mwink.gif
  • Options
    BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2007
    hmmm....happy with the performance of my existing 1D Mark 2, prices of the N version are dropping, I have 2 batteries for my Mark 2.

Do I get a cheaper costing 1D Mark 2 N, or do I spend more for the 1D Mark 3 and buy a second battery also?

dilemas
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    Personally, the N has never been tempting. Not enough added features, although a larger screen would be nice.

The III, however... :drool
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Personally, the N has never been tempting. Not enough added features, although a larger screen would be nice.

The III, however... :drool
    15524779-Ti.gif The Canon 1D MKIII is more enticing to me than the 5D or even the 1Ds or 1Ds MKII. The pixel count is fine at 10MP, but the combined feature set of the 1D MKIII is just amazing.

Just watch, there will be a 1Ds MKIII that will knock your socks off. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2007
    True the N has never been a show stopper, but it would be a new camera (remember my shutter click question before) and the N uses the same batteries so I could swap between them instead of one set of batteries for the Mark 2 and another set with the Mark 3. The Mark 2 would become my "short" camera and backup body and the 3 or N would be my "long" lens body and primary cam.

Nothing will be decided I think until May though when I have some spare cash. But I definately need a second body to come with me on a trip that I am taking in early June. Far to important to go there with a single body.
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2007
    Big deal, Nikon's had this camera available for years, I believe they call it the D50 ;P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2007
    So when does it become available and who will have it in stock first? Think I am going to go for it (the mark 3) but I'll need it before the end of May.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    BBones wrote:
    So when does it become available and who will have it in stock first? Think I am going to go for it (the mark 3) but I'll need it before the end of May.

There are no pre-production models available for review yet, and production usually follows that.* The Canon site only says, "Scheduled for initial U.S. shipments in Spring, ..." and they have not announced a firm price yet. It could be a couple of months before first deliveries of the camera arrive.

(*Sometimes a camera is released directly as "production", but normally pre-production models make the rounds of the big review sites and selected testers, allowing any last-minute wrinkles to be ironed out before final production. Since the 1D MKIII has a completely new imager and chassis, I expect a full round of pre-production to occur.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2007
    Thanks Ziggy for spilling it direct. Saw another board with people asking similarly and it turned into a babble and "well I heard..." thread.

Guess I will keep my fingers crossed for someone having it in stock before May 25th. I have a very inportant shoot (for me) coming up on June 2nd through the 8th and I don't want to go to it with only one camera body.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    BBones wrote:

Try calling Jeff Hirsch at Fotocare in NYC. He usually has stuff like this as soon as anybody and he's a pleasure to deal with if can stand to pay full price (you'll have to wait a little while to get a discount on this camera, I would guess, so might as well buy from Jeff.)

In fact, even if you don't call him, do visit his website. And dream of being a pro with a rather large equipment budget...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    I was able to handle a 1D mkIII today at a tradeshow. It is a very nice camera. That big screen, lighter weight and viewfinder display are all very nice. thumb.gif

Time to start saving. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I was able to handle a 1D mkIII today at a tradeshow. It is a very nice camera. That big screen, lighter weight and viewfinder display are all very nice. thumb.gif

Time to start saving. deal.gif

Any word on availability?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Last I heard - mid-June. ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

YeeHaw*,

B&H has the Canon 1D MKIII listed on their site with an estimated May delivery. The price is $1100USD more than the 1D MKIIN. That should drive away all the poor folk like me. :cry

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6222&A=details&Q=&sku=484813&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

(*Yep, I was born in Texas.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited April 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Last I heard - mid-June. ne_nau.gif

I heard this the other day too.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

I asked the rep if Mid-May was still likely and he said it was, but who really knows. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited April 16, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    YeeHaw*,

B&H has the Canon 1D MKIII listed on their site with an estimated May delivery. The price is $1100USD more than the 1D MKIIN. That should drive away all the poor folk like me. :cry

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6222&A=details&Q=&sku=484813&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

(*Yep, I was born in Texas.)

Today Adorama has it listed. Same price as B&H, similar availability notice (May).

http://www.adorama.com/ICA1DM3.html
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Jeff Hirsch says Fotocare will have by the end of May, not sooner. He usually gets new stuff as soon as anyone else if not sooner, so I don't suppose I'll have mine in time to shoot the last Boston Ballet performances of the season. But soon enough to take to the beach in Nantucket.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 18, 2007
    I think it's great you early adopters are going to help Canon work out the kinks with them before I get mine. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    I think it's great you early adopters are going to help Canon work out the kinks with them before I get mine. deal.gif
    lol3.gif The same thought has drifted across the landscape of my mind.
    Sid.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007