Options

New Canon EOS-1D Mark III

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    --and the 300mm is pretty expen$ive! What is the advantage over the 200mm 2.8 than the 70-200 ? I would think that the 70-200 would be better, although the 200 would save me money.
    In general, primes have better image quality than zooms. So the 200/2.8 would be cheaper, plus better image quality, than the 70-200/2.8 zoom. Plus less weight.
    Here's an important question though... Would it be a little counterintuitive to have this brand new, nice camera with just an Okay lense?
    Counterintuitive? Probably. The lens is usually more important than the camera body. Not always, but often. You will eventually get the whole package, it can be debated which step is the correct first step.

Even with an ok lens the 1-series will do things the 30D cannot.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Bill,
    mercphoto wrote:
    In general, primes have better image quality than zooms. So the 200/2.8 would be cheaper, plus better image quality, than the 70-200/2.8 zoom. Plus less weight.

With all due respect you forgot a little thing called "IS". deal.gif
    70-200 has it, 200 prime does not. ne_nau.gif
    3 f-stops difference is (IMHO) way more than justifies the difference in price and weight... You pretty much can't use 200 (or longer) prime at night/inside without monopod, or even tripod. Each greatly reduces your mobility. With IS you can shoot handheld all you want.
    And as a nice side effect you'll develop some solid biceps:-)mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    With all due respect you forgot a little thing called "IS". deal.gif
    70-200 has it, 200 prime does not. ne_nau.gif
    3 f-stops difference is (IMHO) way more than justifies the difference in price and weight... You pretty much can't use 200 (or longer) prime at night/inside without monopod, or even tripod. Each greatly reduces your mobility. With IS you can shoot handheld all you want.
    And as a nice side effect you'll develop some solid biceps:-)mwink.gif
    $1000 is a big difference Nik. Plus when shooting movement in low light you will need to have a fairly fast shutter speed to stop the action. In order to stop the action your shutter speed will also be high enough to eliminate camera shake. For a budget I'd say the 200 f/2.8 would be the way to go.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    XHawkeyeXHawkeye Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nice video of the IDmkIII at 10 fps
    www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK3/E1DMK3A.HTM

The ultimate football setup is a 300/400 2.8 on one body and 70-200 2.8 on another body.

20061014LSU-1.jpg

20061014LSU-2.jpg
    I Shoot Canons
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nick,
    gluwater wrote:
    $1000 is a big difference Nik. Plus when shooting movement in low light you will need to have a fairly fast shutter speed to stop the action. In order to stop the action your shutter speed will also be high enough to eliminate camera shake. For a budget I'd say the 200 f/2.8 would be the way to go.

I agree, it's a budget question. I saved for quite some time for my 70-200. Yet I can say it has already paid for itself (in less than 6 months), since I got a few paid gigs which I would not be able to do with a tripod. deal.gif

And versatility of the 70-200 zoom range...:ivar
    But I guess it leads to an old flamewar between Zooms and Primes, so I better shut down..:-) :hide
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    XHawkeye wrote:
    20061014LSU-2.jpg
    That's a good way to lose a lens, carrying it like that on the monopod! Puts lot of stress on that small 1/4-20 bolt holding it on. I've heard horror stories when those things let go... :O
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    That's a good way to lose a lens, carrying it like that on the monopod! Puts lot of stress on that small 1/4-20 bolt holding it on. I've heard horror stories when those things let go... :O
    I get shouted down when I say it, but I agree completely.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    The Imaging Resource has a nice preview of this camera:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK3/E1DMK3A.HTM

Don't forget to click the "tabs" at the top of the article to see additional information. They did a nice job explaining some of the inner workings of this camera.

It looks like the 14 bits are there more to improve tonal gradation than to increase dynamic range although there's a "highlight recovery mode" which you may think of as extending the range by 1-stop.

Sample shots at ISO6400 look amazing....

Erich
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I run & jump across rocks etc with my 400 on my tripod. never had a scare yet but hey...its all insured to the teeth.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    $1500USD for a Canon 1D MKIIN is probably a bit wishfull.

A good used Canon 1D is about that now, and a good used Canon 1D MKII is about $1800-$2600 or so.

The Canon 1D MKIIN is still available new for $3400-$3500, and $2500-$3000 used.

(Prices gleaned from B&H, KEH, Adorama and FM Buy & Sell today)

OK, fine, ruin my fantasy! Thanks! :cry

Yeah, probably around the $2k range give or take is more like reality, but it's still half of a new Mk III. I'm just looking at the 20D price history when the 30D hit--it dropped nearly 50% in about a month.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    gluwater wrote:

I actually used the cost/prime reason for getting the 200 f/2.8. Great bokeh, sharp and fast! A really great lens. And I returned it. I was using it in low light and had to boost the ISO to use it since there wasn't any IS. But the main reason had to do with the situations in which I shoot. I kept needing to backup to get a good composition. Somewhere in the 150-170 range. Yes, it is $1K more but I have never regretted my decision. thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    Jd,
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I actually used the cost/prime reason for getting the 200 f/2.8. Great bokeh, sharp and fast! A really great lens. And I returned it. I was using it in low light and had to boost the ISO to use it since there wasn't any IS. But the main reason had to do with the situations in which I shoot. I kept needing to backup to get a good composition. Somewhere in the 150-170 range. Yes, it is $1K more but I have never regretted my decision. thumb.gif

Exactly my reasoning! thumb.gif You get what you pay for:-) deal.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 27, 2007
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Does anyone know if all canon lenses (or just some) are water/weather resistant? I heard that it was only the L series lenses,, but are there more that weather proof? I know that just about all of canon's cameras can withstand a little bit of rain, dust or snow.. but I'm talking weather-sealed so that I don't have to worry about it if I want to shoot a mud game in the pouring rain.
    (obviously it's still necessary to take care of any equipment, but in event of a sudden storm...?)

This will be an improvement from my 20D... I'm afraid to take it out in the elements while I could be gettng great shots.
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    So I've been thinking about this one. Are there any disadvantages of using ISO 50 (other than the obvious losing one stop of sensitivity)? I'm just wondering why this would be an extension of the ISO range rather than it being on by default.

At any rate, this has become my dream camera. I think the 1.3 crop factor would be perfect, I can't imagine why I would need more than 10 megapixels other than to be able to frame generously and then crop in post, 10 fps would allow me to show off like nobody's business (okay, maybe I don't need 10 fps, but the flutter sound would be super cool :D), my next camera will have anti-dust, and I can even fathom possibly being able to afford / justify the $4000 esitmated cost to the house CFO (but $8000 or $9000 or maybe more for the 1ds mkII replacement is well over the line).

So if anyone would care to make a donation to the Mike Lane gets a 1D mkIII fund, I'd appreciate it. mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    Does anyone know if all canon lenses (or just some) are water/weather resistant? I heard that it was only the L series lenses,, but are there more that weather proof? I know that just about all of canon's cameras can withstand a little bit of rain, dust or snow.. but I'm talking weather-sealed so that I don't have to worry about it if I want to shoot a mud game in the pouring rain.
    (obviously it's still necessary to take care of any equipment, but in event of a sudden storm...?)

This will be an improvement from my 20D... I'm afraid to take it out in the elements while I could be gettng great shots.

According to this list, "most" "L" lenses are weather sealed, not water proof. It is more of a water shed and o-ring system, not designed for immersion or continuous exposure.

http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_weathersealed.html

Most notably, the 70-200mm, f4L is "not" weather sealed, but the later IS version of the lens is.

As far as I know, no other Canon lenses are weather sealed outside of the "L" line. I don't know about other manufacturers products.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So I've been thinking about this one. Are there any disadvantages of using ISO 50 (other than the obvious losing one stop of sensitivity)? I'm just wondering why this would be an extension of the ISO range rather than it being on by default.

At any rate, this has become my dream camera. I think the 1.3 crop factor would be perfect, I can't imagine why I would need more than 10 megapixels other than to be able to frame generously and then crop in post, 10 fps would allow me to show off like nobody's business (okay, maybe I don't need 10 fps, but the flutter sound would be super cool :D), my next camera will have anti-dust, and I can even fathom possibly being able to afford / justify the $4000 esitmated cost to the house CFO (but $8000 or $9000 or maybe more for the 1ds mkII replacement is well over the line).

So if anyone would care to make a donation to the Mike Lane gets a 1D mkIII fund, I'd appreciate it. mwink.gif

Mike,

Canon cautions that dynamic range is reduced at ISO 50 on the 1D MKII and 1D MKIIN.

Some users, including other Canon 1D series owners, get unusual results and inconsistant results across different color channels.

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978

The following link shows the DRange at different ISOs

http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/evaluation-1d2/

Neutral density filters are probably more desirable to use.

ISO 50 does improve signal to noise ratios, so if the scene is not too much DR, ISO 50 will reduce sensitivity and allow a larger aperture or longer exposure.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    wave.gif waxy So this is one of two things I know of that we are diametrically opposed on lol3.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    He didn't have to buy the lens - his employer bought the lens - he is just using it.

That said, I know of more than one owner ( not me either ) who has rued the day he decided to carry a big lens ower his shoulder on a tripod. Harry knows them also. Tripods have beeen known to fall off cliffs with the good stuff on them also. Be careful out there, boys.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif waxy So this is one of two things I know of that we are diametrically opposed on lol3.gif

I'm with you Andy, the bolt is stronger than the lens mount.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    Can't we all just agree that if you're going to use a 1/4-20 bolt, that it had better be a real good quality bolt?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

I have a bad experience on my side. BTDT, trying to get rid of the t-shirt.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    Watch this video. One may mistaken it for a machine gun. :D
    Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    oddstuff wrote:

Two things, 1, that is amazing! 2, some of the people commenting over there crack me up! Some of the comments about how useless the 10fps feature is make me just shake my head.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Some of the comments about how useless the 10fps feature is make me just shake my head.
    Most pro sports shooters I know aren't asking for more frames per second. I gotta agree, 8.5 is pretty darn fast and I don't see the need myself for a faster frame rate. You don't get the shot you want by laying down the shutter and praying one of them is the shot you hoped you got.

10fps is pure bragging rights by Canon and little else.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Most pro sports shooters I know aren't asking for more frames per second. I gotta agree, 8.5 is pretty darn fast and I don't see the need myself for a faster frame rate. You don't get the shot you want by laying down the shutter and praying one of them is the shot you hoped you got.

Oh I agree completely. Some of the comments thoughw ere regarding the concept of shooting fast like that,not specifically the exact number of shots per sec. I gotta admit, even if the bump up to 10fps is just bragging rights, it's still sounds amazing to me when I hear that shutter going off like a machine gun! :D
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    oddstuff wrote:

:wowbowdown.giflustiloveyou.giflust

I SO want one. There's GOT to be a way to rob a bank without going to jail.... headscratch.giftiptoe

Gotta love the evil chuckle at the end, kind of like "heh, match THAT, guys"
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    There's GOT to be a way to rob a bank without going to jail....
    I'm thinking maybe a clandestine-to-the-wife stock sale... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2007
    The 10 frames-per-second shutter is not the only speed advantage in this machine. The exposure system and the auto-focus systems have been improved to keep up with the shutter, and that makes for a much more responsive camera overall.

Couple the above advances and add in a larger buffer and faster memory card write speeds, and you start to get a feel for why this camera is so significant.

Frankly, the 1D cameras are so fast, it exposes (pun intended) the poor autofocus of some of the lenses. Its like, "c'mon, focus already!" ... and then the camera is there for you "bam".

The effect is hard to describe, you really have to experience the difference.

(In the Nikon world, the D2H/D2Hs is a similar experience. Shooting alongside, with several of these high-speed cameras, is quite an event in itself. thumb.gif Bambambambambambambam ...)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:

As a bird photographer, that belongs to a club of about 75 bird photographers, I can tell you it makes a difference. Not huge...but a difference. The uptick to 10fps and the dual DigicIII setup also gives the bird photographer a jump from 22 RAW burst to 30 RAW burst. Birds in flight, birds landing and birds feeding are where this is a help. The action is so fast and unpredictable that you increase your chances of getting the perfect moment captured, because you simply can not see the action and decide what to shoot as quickly as you can see the action and shoot it until it stops. I am NOT saying people should hold down the shutter and pray. I AM saying that with this added speed comes the ability to more closely match the speed of your subject. You simply do not have time to setup and take the one perfect frame in these situations. One splash of water, position of the eye, position of the wing, etc. can make the difference between a good bird shot and a great bird shot.

The camera alone does not a photographer make of course, so please do not think I am advocating someone gets the camera to be a better photographer. Put that camera and a 500 f/4 in my hands I'll produce a picture as good or bad as what I am producing with my 30D today. For the high amateur or pro that is killing with a MarkIIN, I'll wager the MarkIII does give them an edge and some more room to push their craft.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen