Options

Fred Miranda's Big Decision (now the evolution of Dgrin)

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    sisoje wrote:
    Well, I am here too...
    Same name as on FM... Never was a fan of "paying" forums. Maybe, I am just too cheap. I still love FM for all the good reasons. I found lot of new friends and got great informations and gear... I guess it is a time to move..
    Hi to everybody from the cold and snowy Toronto:ivar
    65F here tomorrow! friday.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    I just wanted to say "hello" to you all, and in particular to bauerman for referring me to this site. I am larrytucaz from Fred Miranda (since 10-2004), going by larrytxeast here (the userid I've used since moving from Tucson, AZ last year). Just here to try this site out & see how it goes.

I didn't sell much at FM, did much more buying than selling. I am worried that many "killer deals," like getting a Canon 300D w/18-55m for only $275, will no longer show up there. So, having seen bauerman's thread at FM mentioning this site, I'm trying it out.

Hello to all of you again. I hope this site turns out to be a good one, it's nice to know the alternatives out there.

Welcome Larry - I'm not making many friends on FM with that post.....but it got you over to a good alternative forum.............

Jared
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Sayin' Hi
    Well, I am yet another FM reject. I have my last For Sale thread there now for my Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro HSM, and it most likely will be the last item posted there from me. I already donated some money to FM about 1 month ago to compensate for the few sales I had, and now I have to pay once again, this time mandatory. Just not worth it due to an unmoderated buy/sell and one of the slowest forums on the planet. I have lurked here before and now I have de-lurked! Looking forward to making some new friends here now. :ivar
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    Well, I am yet another FM reject. I have my last For Sale thread there now for my Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro HSM, and it most likely will be the last item posted there from me. I already donated some money to FM about 1 month ago to compensate for the few sales I had, and now I have to pay once again, this time mandatory. Just not worth it due to an unmoderated buy/sell and one of the slowest forums on the planet. I have lurked here before and now I have de-lurked! Looking forward to making some new friends here now. :ivar

Welcome TeamSpeed - Like your username and your title even better!
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Welcome TeamSpeed - Like your username and your title even better!
    Thanks! I will keep bumping my FM for sale thread over the next few days until I am unable to do so, then I will move it over here. Such a great lens, but everybody on the For Sale over there is preoccupied over the different gripes threads, so it gets no real exposure.

Looking forward to seeing how fast the membership here and on POTN grows over the next 2 months!
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    JCAC75JCAC75 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2007
    Another FMer moved
    I am making the switch. I am pretty new to selling but bought a couple of thingd from FM.

Any selling I do will be here. As if hosting and equipment wasn't enough, but to pay for B&S. I will pass on that.

Cheers
    JC
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    JCAC75 wrote:
    I am making the switch. I am pretty new to selling but bought a couple of thingd from FM.

Any selling I do will be here. As if hosting and equipment wasn't enough, but to pay for B&S. I will pass on that.

Cheers
    JC
    A huge welcome to you JC & all the other FM'ers. thumb.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Welcome FM-ers!
    Sisoje, TeamSpeed and JCAC75 - weclome home! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    wave.gif. Welcome all FM refugees to Dgrin. Glad to have you all here. There is an Introduce Yourself thread here where you can officially introduce yourself.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Hey Doc, remember my post on the 1st page?
    Hang on to your hat. It's begun. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Hey Doc, remember my post on the 1st page?
    Hang on to your hat. It's begun. :D
    I've already swapped my hat for my helmet.

Bring it on. :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    spartan123spartan123 Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    For the new users
    To all the new people coming to Dgrin. Just want to say you will not find a friendlier forum then here.

Great moderators! Great atmosphere!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    So, one thing that's folks have asked for, we're going to try and deliver on. Separate forums for different types of gear.

We're starting with

Canon Gear
    Nikon Gear
    Other Gear

You can see the subforums now, but not post in them yet. (Click "Flea Market" in the navigation breadcrumb at the top of the page).

It's an extra click, to get to the goods you are looking for, and so our question, is this useful? Are there any downsides? ear.gif
  • Options
    k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    woo hoo
    Andy wrote:
    So, one thing that's folks have asked for, we're going to try and deliver on. Separate forums for different types of gear.

We're starting with

Canon Gear
    Nikon Gear
    Other Gear

You can see the subforums now, but not post in them yet. (Click "Flea Market" in the navigation breadcrumb at the top of the page).

It's an extra click, to get to the goods you are looking for, and so our question, is this useful? Are there any downsides? ear.gif
    THANKS BIG A.... excellent idea.....wings.gif
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • Options
    rebelxtnewbierebelxtnewbie Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    That's great. Been wanting that on the other forum for a long time. Makes it easier for the buyer to sort through what they want. The only downside I see is for a seller. We have to post twice if we're selling lenses and other equipment. Not a big deal though.
    Andy wrote:

We're starting with

Canon Gear
    Nikon Gear
    Other Gear

Lenses: A Never Ending Revolving Door of stuff

Equipment ~ $5K, Income from pictures ~ $0K, Memories ~ Priceless
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:

We're starting with

Canon Gear
    Nikon Gear
    Other Gear

I personally think that's a great idea. I have all Canon equipment and no plans to change in the near future - so having a Canon-specific list to sort through is optimal for me. I'm not seeing the downside at this point.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    That's great. Been wanting that on the other forum for a long time. Makes it easier for the buyer to sort through what they want. The only downside I see is for a seller. We have to post twice if we're selling lenses and other equipment. Not a big deal though.

I read that as "Canon Compatible Gear". Sigma lenses for Canon mount would go in there, for example. The only thing you would have to split out, if at all, is accessories. Give us some time to work out the details, but trust us on this: we'll make it easy on everyone involved. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Another thing we'll add asap:

A convenient way to search items and their listing prices. I always want to know what someone else recently listed a lens or body for, and if we pair that with a convenient thread link, well now, the would-be poster has a nice way to validate or come to his/her own pricing on the item.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I read that as "Canon Compatible Gear". Sigma lenses for Canon mount would go in there, for example. The only thing you would have to split out, if at all, is accessories. Give us some time to work out the details, but trust us on this: we'll make it easy on everyone involved. :D
    Good point, guys.

Which is better - in the forum title, or the forum description? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    One more maybe
    Maybe an "Other Manufacturer" area as well, not sure given the three categories that are present right now where the guy selling his Pentax K10D would place his ad. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Description.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Description.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Description.

Was this a response to my post about which sub-category to post the Pentax DSLR? I don't follow if so........
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Was this a response to my post about which sub-category to post the Pentax DSLR? I don't follow if so........

No, I should have quoted Andy. You posted while I was typing that one word out. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    So, one thing that's folks have asked for, we're going to try and deliver on. Separate forums for different types of gear. We're starting with
    Canon Gear
    Nikon Gear
    Other Gear
    Yes, that's a good idea.

The way the sub-forums are titled, it looks like Canon gear goes in one, Nikon in another, and all other gear -- e.g. Minolta, Sony, Pentax, Hasselblad, Toyo, whatever go into the third one. But really the third one (I think) is intended to be all that plus gear that isn't brand-specific at all, e.g. bags, memory cards, etc....

So my suggestion would be a minor tweak on the titles, to be:
    Canon-specific Gear (or Canon System Gear)
    Nikon-specific Gear (or Nikon System Gear)
    Other Gear
    That also makes it clearer that an item such as a Sigma lens with a Canon mount belongs in the Canon-specific Gear forum, whereas "Canon Gear" might appear to exclude it because it's not made by Canon. This is probably splitting hairs, but that's what engineers do :D
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    I do like seperating the brands but I think David's idea should be applied to Nikon as well. And if those two forums are related to the cameras themselves, do we not care about body and glass offerings for other brands... Olympus, Pentax, etc?

I do like the idea of all non-brand related accessories in their seperate forum.

edit: oops I was trumped! lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Which is better - in the forum title, or the forum description? ear.gif
    I'd vote for in the description.
    But we still need to figure out how to handle non-manufacturer-specific gear (as I mentioned, bags, memory cards, etc). The term "compatible" invites sellers to post twice, once in each forum ... which should be discouraged, for lots of reasons. I assume that we really only want eqpt in those forums (fora?) that only work with those particular systems, and everything else in the "Other Gear" category.

15524779-Ti.gif

an SB600 should not go in Other Gear
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Another thing we'll add asap:

A convenient way to search items and their listing prices. I always want to know what someone else recently listed a lens or body for, and if we pair that with a convenient thread link, well now, the would-be poster has a nice way to validate or come to his/her own pricing on the item.
    Great idea.

I have a longstanding problem with the Search feature in forums -- it won't let me search for a 3-character string because the search engine thinks a priori that too many resutls will be returned. Is there any way to allow those kind of searches? Many strings are short but still unique enough (PQI and ATP come to mind) that only limited results will turn up. (I could imagine searching for "5D" or "D70", too, although more results would probably pop up)

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    NDeb wrote:
    This is NDeb, AKA "Kepola", on FM. Looking forward to seeing you all again on DGrin! Aloha, -debbie:D
    Hi Deb!!!

Deb is a great seller too! I bought a lens from her last summer on FM and it was a great deal and a fantastic lens.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    Maybe like this - but it does add a third forum:

Canon Compatible cameras, lenses, flashes, etc…

Nikon Compatible cameras, lenses, flashes, etc...

Other Manufacturer cameras, lenses, flashes, etc…

Other Gear – lighting, bags, backdrops, memory, computers, etc…

At least this way the Pentax, Sony, Olympus people don't have to sort through the CF card, camera bag and muslin backdrop posts to find cameras or lenses of their chosen brand.