Fred Miranda's Big Decision (now the evolution of Dgrin)

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Andy,
    Andy wrote:
    Whatever your drug is:-) :Dmwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Art, you big girl, this isn't about you, it's about me! lol3.gif

So stop taking it so personally that we don't have a forum for that 1 guy out there who wants to sell his Hasselblad, k?
    blbl.gif

JÁ mít tvůj děvče.wings.gif Dekuji mockrat! Nerozumim cesky ja .

It is not bladS I am interested in selling ..but the Leicas..... OKAY ACTUALLY Kievs and Jupiter lenses.......maybe.:D

Andy wrote:

Better?

thumb.gif

Much better....THANX!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    JÁ mít tvůj děvče.wings.gif Dekuji mockrat!
    Prosim. Ale ted mne laskavje rekni jak delas tady ty klicky a hacky? headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Prosim. Ale ted mne laskavje rekni jak delas tady ty klicky a hacky? headscratch.gif
    However ted me prince's feather rekni as forth as delas tady you klicky plus hacky? Really??headscratch.gif

As I said...I donot speak Czech....and my online translator is not very reliable:D.....http://www.tranexp.com:2000/Translate/result.shtml

It was fun....btw.....I said I got your girl......

Didn't you get the memo, it is no longer about DoctotIt...It is All about us little guys....the soft spoken customerwings.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:

I don't know if that was a joke or not...but naked juice is something that I just found not long ago and it's pretty neat stuff!

:D

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    I don't know if that was a joke or not...but naked juice is something that I just found not long ago and it's pretty neat stuff!

:D

- RE

You guys are so lagged.... :jose
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2007
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Amazing. I go away for the weekend to do some house & car work, and come back to a B/S forum formatted like what people have been begging for for years at FM. DGrins' moderators rock. clap.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 5, 2007
    DGrins' moderators rock. clap.gif
    All you gotta do is ask, and we'll do our best to make it so. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Fred Miranda Compromise
    Fred Miranda has compromised and added a "Buy and Sell Subscription" as a stand alone offering outside the photo hosting option for $45. The buy and sell subscription is $24.90 and allows you to post items for sale at FM, but not use the FM photo host. The $45 dollars per year allows you to do both.

Thoughts? (It's still not attractive to me as a 'once in a while' seller.)
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    Fred Miranda has compromised and added a "Buy and Sell Subscription" as a stand alone offering outside the photo hosting option for $45. The buy and sell subscription is $24.90 and allows you to post items for sale at FM, but not use the FM photo host. The $45 dollars per year allows you to do both.

Thoughts? (It's still not attractive to me as a 'once in a while' seller.)

That is better if you plan on selling items throughout the year. Or just pick 3 months a year to sell several things, get the 4.90 subscription for those months, sell to your heart's content, then cancel your subscription each time. This way you spent on $15 in fees.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Monthly...
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    That is better if you plan on selling items throughout the year. Or just pick 3 months a year to sell several things, get the 4.90 subscription for those months, sell to your heart's content, then cancel your subscription each time. This way you spent on $15 in fees.

That was my line of thought too. I only sell big ticket items (or a whole lot in once shot) on FM, and they usually sell within a few days.
    Paying $4.95 on top of getting several hundred dollars back - come on, paypal fees and s/h cost WAY more...ne_nau.gifmwink.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 6, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:

That is definitely a way to keep the fees down...........had never thought of that angle but he does offer the $45 dollars to be billed monthly and the Buy and Sell Subscription can only be purchased in a lump sum.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • mmahoneymmahoney Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    It's more than the B&S forums
    I've been at FM for 3 years with close to 1,000 posts, many friendships, and much good advice taken and hopefully some given.

Two thirds of my gear has come from the FM B&S forum at great prices with no hassles but I don't live on the B&S forum there .. more often I'll check the sports or pro forums to see what's happening, and maybe post a reply or two or ask a question.

So it's more of a community type of deal for me .. and losing the community is the real risk Fred is taking by charging to post in his B&S forum .. boatloads of FM refugees are now joining other forums primarily as a place to trade their gear, but will also participate in the other forums as well and will probably become regular contributors. And that is how a site grows, and that is how FM will be challenged with a loss of members .. and at a time when the site is painfully slow, the software is outdated, the moderators are overworked & touchy, some of the members feel unwelcome, and Fred is asking for money ne_nau.gif

An unfortunate byproduct of growth is often losing appreciation for the very things that gave the growth in the first place.
    Mike
    edited March 7, 2007
    mmahoney wrote:
    I've been at FM for 3 years with close to 1,000 posts, many friendships, and much good advice taken and hopefully some given.

Two thirds of my gear has come from the FM B&S forum at great prices with no hassles but I don't live on the B&S forum there .. more often I'll check the sports or pro forums to see what's happening, and maybe post a reply or two or ask a question.

So it's more of a community type of deal for me .. and losing the community is the real risk Fred is taking by charging to post in his B&S forum .. boatloads of FM refugees are now joining other forums primarily as a place to trade their gear, but will also participate in the other forums as well and will probably become regular contributors. And that is how a site grows, and that is how FM will be challenged with a loss of members .. and at a time when the site is painfully slow, the software is outdated, the moderators are overworked & touchy, some of the members feel unwelcome, and Fred is asking for money ne_nau.gif

An unfortunate byproduct of growth is often losing appreciation for the very things that gave the growth in the first place.
    Mike
    On Fred's behalf, he has really been active in a thread that will promote a better forum. He has about 5 changes he will be making, and these changes will bring probably 50% of the members back. Between the $25 fee and the sort/search/speed/forum breakout, it will be close to the more modern boards (hopefully!).

In any case, the community members at FM that have moved around a bit all win. You are now a member of other communities, and FM will be revamped to a better forum as a result. There is no real downside, except a little of the revenue sold on FM goes to the site.

Only time will tell! Welcome to this site, the mods are friendly and quickly respond, and the members are great.
    edited March 7, 2007
    mmahoney wrote:
    Mike

Very well said Mike............very well said.
    edited March 7, 2007
    mmahoney wrote:

Mike

Very good points. I've been at FM since '03 (gah! that long?!) and I've seen the growing pains. I think part of the issue is the growth bringing in less-constructive members & how the community handles it. But that's something all fora have to deal with if they are successful. Right now FM is going through a rough spot (I've seen a lot of stupid arguments). I figure the current upheaval will convince some (hopefully mainly less-welcome types) to move on.

I don't see the exodus as entirely an either FM or other fora thing. I hang out both here and at FM (and sometimes POTN as well...ok I'm a junkie...) and I'll bet a number of the refugees will do the same in time.
    edited March 7, 2007
    So I took a look at POTN for the first time...I have more looking to do, but the very first thing I noticed was...ads everywhere. I hate ads on websites I frequent, and I'm sure glad that dgrin will never have any ads or ask for any subscription fees. That plus the added benefit of our shootouts, contests, I just wish more people would discover our dgrinny goodness. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    So I took a look at POTN for the first time...I have more looking to do, but the very first thing I noticed was...ads everywhere. I hate ads on websites I frequent, and I'm sure glad that dgrin will never have any ads or ask for any subscription fees. That plus the added benefit of our shootouts, contests, I just wish more people would discover our dgrinny goodness. :D

POTN has all kinds of contests, and they have forums dedicated to mini-contests, like macros, what comes before me is.., etc. The ads are somewhat distracting, yes.
    edited March 7, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    POTN has all kinds of contests, and they have forums dedicated to mini-contests, like macros, what comes before me is.., etc. The ads are somewhat distracting, yes.

And they use SmugMug to host their photos. Small world, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 7, 2007
    POTN is a very well established site - one of the more well established photo forums out there really. But dgrin is at a point in its existence where it has more of a 'club feel', probably similar to what POTN was like a long while back. Hopefully dgrin can remain this way for a long time......
    edited March 8, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    dgrin is at a point in its existence where it has more of a 'club feel', probably similar to what POTN was like a long while back. Hopefully dgrin can remain this way for a long time......

Why? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Why? ear.gif
    Because it's friendly and cosy. A nice place to be.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Because it's friendly and cosy. A nice place to be.

Hey, I didn't ask you! Sheesh! You're a mod, for goodness sakes. I'm talking to you about this every day! :D

Seriously, I am hoping for some specifics about what is lost when you get the size of a place like POTN. And part of what I'm looking for is ways to keep whatever that is, yet still grow and be of use to more and more people.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey, I didn't ask you! Sheesh! You're a mod, for goodness sakes. I'm talking to you about this every day! :D

Seriously, I am hoping for some specifics about what is lost when you get the size of a place like POTN. And part of what I'm looking for is ways to keep whatever that is, yet still grow and be of use to more and more people.

Open communications with members that are courteous and considerate of others. As memberships grow, you will get that element that is strictly looking out for themselves (scams, discourteous, chip on their shoulder, know it all etc), so then the only options left to mods are to either create rules in which govern these bad apples or ban them, and they just come back with a vengeance under a new name, etc. It is the 80/20 rule, you start putting 80% of the rules in place for the bad 20% of the population. You see with the laws that are passed daily.

Hope this helps.
    edited March 8, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    Open communications with members that are courteous and considerate of others. As memberships grow, you will get that element that is strictly looking out for themselves (scams, discourteous, chip on their shoulder, know it all etc), so then the only options left to mods are to either create rules in which govern these bad apples or ban them, and they just come back with a vengeance under a new name, etc. It is the 80/20 rule, you start putting 80% of the rules in place for the bad 20% of the population. You see with the laws that are passed daily.

Hope this helps.

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

There are advantages and disadvantages to growing to the size of something like POTN. Advantages would be more people seeing your work and potentially providing feedback, more people viewing your items for sale and potentially buying them, more items for you to look at and buy, exposure to a larger group of photographers and their expertise and so forth.

I think that some disadvantages though would be more and more people joining that are not productive or that try to contribute to the forum, when you post photos for feedback they slip down to page 6 quicker than you can say "please", moderators have less and less time for attention to issues that you bring up, threads have more of a chance to turn into flame wars simply due to people being there to argue and so forth and so on.

There is something to be said for a forum that is still sized to the point where everyone knows everyone and there is kind of a set of unwritten rules that keeps everyone in "check" in certain areas. I think that a lot of that goes out the window when you reach a certain level of membership.

I have seen some people join a forum like POTN, never receive the level of feedback or communication with the other members that they were looking for and just leave the forum for good after a short time.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2007
    bauerman wrote:
    when you post photos for feedback they slip down to page 6 quicker than you can say "please"...

I have seen some people join a forum like POTN, never receive the level of feedback or communication with the other members that they were looking for and just leave the forum for good after a short time.

nod.gif

First thing I noticed when I visited POTN yesterday.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

But he nailed it. Right now Dgrin still feels more like a small town where you know everyone and the trboulemakers haven't found it yet. POTN and FM have grown to big-city size. Good points are lots of input and many varied members; bad points are the troublemakers have now been attracted and have reduced the patience of some valued old-timers or driven others off.
    edited March 8, 2007
    But he nailed it.

I know he did. But as moderators, we're talking about these issues all the time; I've heard enough from him :D. I just wanted to make sure that I heard it all from you guys, since you do have a different perspective than we do.

This feedback is great. Keep it coming! ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus