Fred Miranda's Big Decision (now the evolution of Dgrin)

Comments

• StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    That's great. Been wanting that on the other forum for a long time. Makes it easier for the buyer to sort through what they want. The only downside I see is for a seller. We have to post twice if we're selling lenses and other equipment. Not a big deal though.

Hiya Rebelxtnewbie! Good to see you on Dgrin too. I can't wait to get my new macro lens from you. Talk soon
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    The sub forums are OPEN! clap.gif

Thanks for the feedback. This is a HUGE improvement.

Give us a bit of time to move threads deal.gif
    Oh and you "old timers" please help the new folks with where to post, thanks!
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The sub forums are OPEN! clap.gif

Thanks for the feedback. This is a HUGE improvement.

Give us a bit of time to move threads deal.gif
    Oh and you "old timers" please help the new folks with where to post, thanks!

This is going to be great! Make it even easier to feed my lens addiction in one convenient stop.

Thanks Andy and gang for all your hard work here at Dgrin.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 2, 2007
    photobug wrote:
    Yes, that's a good idea.

The way the sub-forums are titled, it looks like Canon gear goes in one, Nikon in another, and all other gear
    While y'all were yappin, I just figured it out and made Andy do it. :D

The Dgrin way has always been simple and fun, so I give you 3 sub-forums... we're populating them now.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 2, 2007
    photobug wrote:
    Great idea.

I have a longstanding problem with the Search feature in forums -- it won't let me search for a 3-character string because the search engine thinks a priori that too many resutls will be returned. Is there any way to allow those kind of searches? Many strings are short but still unique enough (PQI and ATP come to mind) that only limited results will turn up. (I could imagine searching for "5D" or "D70", too, although more results would probably pop up)
    We're thinking about this, but it's obviously a much more difficult problem.

stay tuned
    Erik

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    photobug wrote:
    Great idea.

I have a longstanding problem with the Search feature in forums -- it won't let me search for a 3-character string because the search engine thinks a priori that too many resutls will be returned. Is there any way to allow those kind of searches? Many strings are short but still unique enough (PQI and ATP come to mind) that only limited results will turn up. (I could imagine searching for "5D" or "D70", too, although more results would probably pop up)

google search

site:dgrin.com d70
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    This is cool, I love the idea. POTN has a buy, sell, and deals, so this is pretty close. Also, this means the flea market could be more of an open discussion area on where to put things, and to house the FREEBIE thread and FEEDBACK.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    We're thinking about this, but it's obviously a much more difficult problem.

stay tuned
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Good point, guys.

Which is better - in the forum title, or the forum description? ear.gif

I think it looks much cleaner to have the "compatible" part in the description.
    edited March 2, 2007
    silica wrote:
    I think it looks much cleaner to have the "compatible" part in the description.

How do php Boards work with searching one large thread with thousands of replies vs searching a subforum?

I have always wondered why feedback was always one thread in various forums, and not just a dedicated forum with a sticky that had the feedback template. Searching seemed easier with many posts instead of one thread, but maybe not. People invariably post a thread about feedback anyway as a new post by accident, and it could just simply be moved to the feedback forum if there was one. As always, I am a noob when it comes to setting up php boards, I have only done my own on my online store (www.invisicord.com) and it does not get alot of traffic except by spambots.
    edited March 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    While y'all were yappin, I just figured it out and made Andy do it. :D

The Dgrin way has always been simple and fun, so I give you 3 sub-forums... we're populating them now.
    thumb.gif
    And, we're done thumb.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    And, we're done thumb.gif

Once again, the DGrin team comes out with support that we didn't eve know we needed!! clap.gifclap.gif You guys are amazing!

Welcome to all the newbies as well. Hope you are able to feel right at home here!
    edited March 2, 2007
    TeamSpeed wrote:
    Also, this means the flea market could be more of an open discussion area on where to put things, and to house the FREEBIE thread and FEEDBACK.
    Bingo, that was the method behind my madness. nod.gif
    Erik

edited March 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Bingo, that was the method behind my madness. nod.gif

Great minds think alike.... iloveyou.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Hey just a suggestion, but why not make sub-divisions for Minolta-Sony, Olympus etc ones as well. Granted they probably will have the least amount of threads, but for those users just one area where they wont be bombarded with other gear will help as much as the current Nikon and Canon sub-divisions help us Canonites and Nikonauts. ;)
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    Hey just a suggestion, but why not make sub-divisions for Minolta-Sony, Olympus etc ones as well. Granted they probably will have the least amount of threads, but for those users just one area where they wont be bombarded with other gear will help as much as the current Nikon and Canon sub-divisions help us Canonites and Nikonauts. ;)

I WILL SECOND THAT!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    mr peas wrote:

I suggested the same thing earlier in this thread, here:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=55196&page=10

The segregated B/S are a good idea........
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited March 3, 2007
    Selling suggestion
    One thing that gets a little tedious with a fast growing community are those that don't take the time to familiarize themselves with the rules/guidelines, so they just post items for sale, and then you get the slew of "what is the price", "how old", "pics?", etc. The DOC suggested I put future forum suggestions into this thread, as it will become the "how to make this better and not turn into FM" thread.

So here is a repeat post I made elsewhere. Just a suggestion, but it could turn into something useful.

Suggested Selling Template? These sometimes work, and if posted as a sticky template, folks can point new members to the template.

Title: FA/FS: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Item/Product ID: xxxxxxxxx
    Asking Price & Currency: $xxxxx.xx

Age of Item/# Uses:
    (Date Code, Purchase Date, # Actuations, etc)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Item Description:
    (like new, chips, scuffs, warranty repaired, refurb, non-smoking?, etc)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MSRP Prices & Locations:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fees/Shipping Disclosure:

(PP, S&H, Type of Shipping)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shipping Locations:
    (CONUS, CAN, UK, etc)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why Selling:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

References:
    (ebay ID, other Forums/IDs)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Contact Directions:
    (PM, Email, etc)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Images and/or Image Links:

edited March 3, 2007
    mr peas wrote:
    I think it would be clutter (too many forums) at this time. We made the Kitchen Sink be the catch-all. If things heat up, we'll consider it - thanks for the suggestion!
    edited March 3, 2007
    SmugMug "Flickr coupon" offer...
    Hey, by the way, lemme share a little tidbit with y'all here...

Image upload, or lack of it, was a big reason we got a lot of newcomers here. We all know images add a lot to a sale listing. So if anyone wants a good image hosting account, I'll shamelessly recommend SmugMug. But I'll also offer you a (not-so) secret way to get 50% off your first year:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2007/01/31/the-dark-side-of-the-flickr-acquisition/
    Erik

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 3, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey, by the way, lemme share a little tidbit with y'all here...

Image upload, or lack of it, was a big reason we got a lot of newcomers here. We all know images add a lot to a sale listing. So if anyone wants a good image hosting account, I'll shamelessly recommend SmugMug. But I'll also offer you a (not-so) secret way to get 50% off your first year:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2007/01/31/the-dark-side-of-the-flickr-acquisition/

Posting this could kill my referral bizness. :cry
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I think it would be clutter (too many forums) at this time. We made the Kitchen Sink be the catch-all. If things heat up, we'll consider it - thanks for the suggestion!

HOWEVER....it can also be interpeted as WE DON'T CARE unless you use Nikon or Cannon...if you want recognition then switch to OUR brand of camera......To me putting in a "kitchen sink" sub form is not cute...it is like saying the garbage dump.......as this was the nomenclature when I was a professional cook....Kitchen sink ment anything that could not be served by it self for whatever reason, ie the garbage................

Is it any different than having galleries for our products on our own sites.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited March 3, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    HOWEVER....it can also be interpeted as WE DON'T CARE unless you use Nikon or Cannon...if you want recognition then switch to OUR brand of camera......To me putting in a "kitchen sink" sub form is not cute...it is like saying the garbage dump.......as this was the nomenclature when I was a professional cook....Kitchen sink ment anything that could not be served by it self for whatever reason, ie the garbage................

Thanks Art, we'll surely consider it as things progress. As you can see, we have a record of being responsive to folks' wishes, desires and needs around here deal.gif
    edited March 3, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:

Art, you big girl, this isn't about you, it's about me! lol3.gif

Too many sub-forums and stickies and this and that look disgusting! Not to mention they add to the clicking I have to do for daily moderation purposes. We've always always tried to make dgrin as clutter free as possible. So stop taking it so personally that we don't have a forum for that 1 guy out there who wants to sell his Hasselblad, k?
    blbl.gif
    Erik

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    My 2 cents
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Art, you big girl, this isn't about you, it's about me! lol3.gif

Too many sub-forums and stickies and this and that look disgusting! Not to mention they add to the clicking I have to do for daily moderation purposes. We've always always tried to make dgrin as clutter free as possible. So stop taking it so personally that we don't have a forum for that 1 guy out there who wants to sell his Hasselblad, k?
    blbl.gif

While I agree that too much of a structure leads to chaos deal.gif , I honestly think that by adding just one extra forum for Other Manufactures Cameras/filters and such, and leaving the Kitchen Sink for non-camera related gear (studio equipment, computer hardware, software, etc.) would help a whole lot and would not increase mod's duties by too much.

While Canon and Nikon are sure the biggest dogs on the block for DSLRs, their combined market share in P&S, MF and other formats is definitely less than 50%.

Flea Market is already structured better than FM's B/S was, yet I do believe that making just this one addition would make it much better iloveyou.gif

FWIW..ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    While I agree that too much of a structure leads to chaos deal.gif , I honestly think that by adding just one extra forum for Other Manufactures Cameras/filters and such, and leaving the Kitchen Sink for non-camera related gear (studio equipment, computer hardware, software, etc.) would help a whole lot and would not increase mod's duties by too much.

While Canon and Nikon are sure the biggest dogs on the block for DSLRs, their combined market share in P&S, MF and other formats is definitely less than 50%.

Flea Market is already structured better than FM's B/S was, yet I do believe that making just this one addition would make it much better iloveyou.gif

FWIW..ne_nau.gif

I would have to agree - do you guys think that we are one extra forum away from complete anarchy in the Flea Market? rolleyes1.gif
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

FWIW..ne_nau.gif

While things are easy for me to find since I am a Canonite, I can see that having a 3rd section devoted to cameras and camera equipment for brands other than Canon and Nikon would be a help. Just my .02 cents, and we all know how much that is worth! :D
    edited March 3, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    While things are easy for me to find since I am a Canonite, I can see that having a 3rd section devoted to cameras and camera equipment for brands other than Canon and Nikon would be a help. Just my .02 cents, and we all know how much that is worth! :D
    Better?

http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

thumb.gif
    edited March 3, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Just my .02 cents, and we all know how much that is worth! :D
    Yeah, about .02 cents.

But the customer is always right.
    Erik

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2007
    I knew it!
    Andy, Erik - if you were chicks, I'd kiss you! iloveyou.gif
    But since you're not - beer (or drink of your choice; Andy: that includes Blue Label mwink.gif ;-) is on me deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited March 3, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Andy, Erik - if you were chicks, I'd kiss you! iloveyou.gif
    But since you're not - beer (or drink of your choice; Andy: that includes Blue Label mwink.gif ;-) is on me deal.gif
    :nono

Naked Juice