Options

Pages continue to load wrong/Weird problem - merged

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited April 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
This is getting frustrating - pages loading without thumbnails, or without a few thumbnails, or without the main image loading... it happens only sometimes, but definitely often enough to be very annoying.

Here the latest example: the page fully loaded (only 2 images in this gallery)

138039266-L.jpg

Clicking on the non-existent main image brings up lightbox like this (note there are no scroll bars):

138039254-L.jpg

This is Firefox2 on XP. Shift-refresh made everything work properly, but that's not an acceptable answer IMO. I can't explain to every one of my non-computer savvy family members, or the random Little League parents that visit my site for that matter, to go figure out how to refresh your browser's cache if things don't look right. In most cases they don't know what the page is SUPPOSED to look like, so they don't know anything is wrong. They just go away.

I know BWG is aware there are issues (from this thread and others), but I haven't heard anything in a few weeks and the problems are still there. It can't just be my two computers that exhibit these issues. Has any progress been made or is this the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future?

Sorry for bitching and moaning...

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    It can't just be my two computers
    No but it can be an extremely small amount of people, versus the millions that visit our site.

The terrible thing is that people report this, and then for some, a day later, it's not an issue.

Poof - gone.

Have you tried these FF diagnostics, btw?
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=288184
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    No but it can be an extremely small amount of people, versus the millions that visit our site.
    Yeah, I get that.
    Andy wrote:
    The terrible thing is that people report this, and then for some, a day later, it's not an issue.

Poof.
    Yeah, I get that too. That's why it frustrates me, because if I have a problem once and don't change anything on my end, then I should have the same problem the next time. But I don't always. So where is the problem, with me or with the server that is sending the content?

In the thread I linked above, the images loaded after 4 minutes of inactivity. To use your phrase, poof, they just showed up. So obviously I'm not blocking them, right? The response was that 4 minutes "seems excessive". I agree.:D

I never had a single issue like this before the code change; that can't be coincidence. Something in the new stuff (which is way cool) is not quite bulletproof IMO.
    Andy wrote:
    Have you tried these FF diagnostics, btw?
    I have now, and they all show properly. I went to the "more" page link and checked all those settings too, all were fine. ne_nau.gif

I guess I'll just live with it, but I wanted you guys to know it still happens.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    I mis-spoke above. There was one thing in those diags - do you allow pipelining?
  • Options
    aam1234aam1234 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    weird problem
    The thumbs are showing but no full photos, even when clicking on them. The same if I'm logged in or out.

Anybody know why or how to fix it.

Thanks
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    The thumbs are showing but no full photos, even when clicking on them. And the same if I'm logged in or out.

Anybody know why or how to fix it.

Thanks
    Usally when I have a problem like this I'll delete the Smugmug cookies and
    everything comes back fine.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks Al,

I did clear the cache but it's still the same. I'll try the deleting the cookie and see how it goes (if I know how to delete it).

Thanks again
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Deleted the cookie and restarted firefox but it's still the same thing. Also, deleted the cookie and cleared the cache then restarted FF. No go :(

Edit: it works fine in IE 7.0, though I don't want to use IE.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Don't know if this is relevant or not but the problem started after I used that 3rd party java applet to load photos. Probably unrelated though.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Don't know if this is relevant or not but the problem started after I used that 3rd party java applet to load photos. Probably unrelated though.
    Can you do me a favor, and check out my site, www.ivarborst.com and see if the thumbs and main photo are showing there? Thanks thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Hi Ivar,

Your site is working fine, and you have some very nice photos too.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Hi Ivar,

Your site is working fine, and you have some very nice photos too.
    Thanks for checking my site, and for the compliment :D

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the photos. As soon as we have a solution, I'll let you know.

If you have any questions, let us know.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks, Hope you guys find a solution.

Appreciate the help.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Any update/progress. I'll be uploading many photos soon.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Any update/progress. I'll be uploading many photos soon.
    Have you tried the diagnostics here?

• Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Thanks Andy, everything checked fine from your link.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Thanks Andy, everything checked fine from your link.
    Are you blocking remote images somehow in your firefox?

This is only a problem on your firefox. We can see your images fine, your website is working fine. We have to find out what's going on with your installation. How about addons or plugins - got any?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Non of the above.

It seems, and correct me if I'm wrong Ivar, that it has to do with his applet. The issue started after I used his (excellent) little program for the first time. Hope I'm wrong though.

Edit: I have an idea. let me change the theme and see what happens. Will report back shortly.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Non of the above.

It seems, and correct me if I'm wrong Ivar, that it has to do with his applet. The issue started after I used his (excellent) little program for the first time. Hope I'm wrong though.

Edit: I have an idea. let me change the theme and see what happens. Will report back shortly.
    What applet?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Opps, can't change themes on individual gallery because the "tools" are not showing either :(
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    The applet is "send it to Smug Mug" or a similar name. Ivar wrote it, right.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    The applet is "send it to Smug Mug" or a similar name. Ivar wrote it, right.
    Actually, Omar Shahine, a customer, wrote that :D
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Opps, can't change themes on individual gallery because the "tools" are not showing either :(
    And this is with FF2 or IE7?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Ff2.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I mis-spoke above. There was one thing in those diags - do you allow pipelining?
    I would like to speak with you by phone.
    Can you PM me a # and when I can ring you?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I would like to speak with you by phone.
    Can you PM me a # and when I can ring you?
    11doh.gif...Called on the carpet... eek7.gif

PM coming your way in a moment.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    I believe Ivar is in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong) so he could be awake by now :)

Any updates, Ivar.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    I have a similar issue, see the "Weird Problem" thread. But Ivar and Andy are working on it. Thank you guys thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    I believe Ivar is in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong) so he could be awake by now :)

Any updates, Ivar.
    Correct, the Netherlands to be exact :D There is not much to give you at this time. We're still trying to narrow it down.

To be sure it's not a corrupt cache problem, first, make sure you clear your cache. Do this a few times. For browser specific instructions, see this.

Anyone who still sees the problem (main image not displaying), and wants to help us, please do the following:
    Email us at the helpdesk, and put 'mainImage problem - attn Ivar/Andy' in the subject line.
    Please let us know: This would really help us, as we are having problems replicating the problem. Thanks thumb.gif

*to make a screengrab in windows, make sure that the page is visible and press the 'print screen' button (may also say something like 'prnt scrn' or similar). Then, open a image editing program (MS paint will do) and paste the screengrab in a new image by pressing ctrl+v. Save the image.
    To make a screengrab on a mac, make sure the page is visible and press cmd+shift+3. The screengrab will be saved onto the desktop with a name as "Picture X.xxx".
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    I have a similar issue, see the "Weird Problem" thread. But Ivar and Andy are working on it. Thank you guys thumb.gif
    Yes, we are working on it. We can still use help from anyone who is having the same issue and wants to give a hand in solving it.

Please see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=516114#post516114 for the details. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2007
    Thanks,

Do you think it has to do with FF2. FF just updated my browser so that's a possibility.