Options

Pages continue to load wrong/Weird problem - merged

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2007
    I'm at work so I can't spend a lot of time to debug, but here's what I've got right now. On XP, behind a firewall, Norton AV:

Baldy's link - main image does not show in FF2, looks fine in IE6. New FF tabs have the same problem.

1st Ivar link - main image does not show in FF2, looks fine in IE6. New FF tabs have the same problem.

2nd Ivar link - main image looks fine in FF2 and IE6.

Shift-refresh in FF2 fixes image problem for 1st Ivar link. Subsequent to the shift-refresh, all three links work fine in any tab.

HTH (got to get back to work!)
  • Options
    aam1234aam1234 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Don't use ie7.0 so don't know if this is universal or not. After going to a gallery there is no link to go back to the main page. Also, after, say, customizing a gallery there is no "save" button to accept/apply the changes :(:
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I haven't had the problem recently myself, but several people I've pointed at this gallery:
    http://bigal-sa.smugmug.com/gallery/2618609#138168079
    say they don't see the big pictures, only the thumbs. The worst comment I've had was this:

"I tried the link a number of times yesterday, but continually got errormessages or when I was at the site, it refused to show any pictures."

I'll try and follow up as to what browsers are being used, but I think it's quite sad that external parties are having problems.

[update]I've just visited one the people who couldn't see the pics. He was using FF, and a shift-reload sorted out his problem.[/update]
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    [*]Please visit http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559 - not working
    [*]Please visit http://ivar.smugmug.com/gallery/977602-not working
    and http://www.ivarborst.com/gallery/977602-yup this one works

and let us know if you see a difference.[/LIST]This would really help us, as we are having problems replicating the problem. Thanks thumb.gif

Lynns site and gallewries e.g. here: http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2545956#111035367
    work fine for me (today)

I weondered if that might be helpful as she had posted and oddly I can see her pics fine (Safari + 10.3.9)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    - not working
    ivar wrote:
    -not working
    and
    ivar wrote:
    -yup this one works
    ivar wrote:
    and let us know if you see a difference.[/LIST]This would really help us, as we are having problems replicating the problem. Thanks thumb.gif

Lynns site and gallewries e.g. here: http://www.lynnehulbert.com/gallery/2545956#111035367
    work fine for me (today)

I weondered if that might be helpful as she had posted and oddly I can see her pics fine (Safari + 10.3.9)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    ivar wrote:

Not working for me either.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I haven't had the problem recently myself, but several people I've pointed at this gallery:
    say they don't see the big pictures, only the thumbs. The worst comment I've had was this:

"I tried the link a number of times yesterday, but continually got errormessages or when I was at the site, it refused to show any pictures."

I'll try and follow up as to what browsers are being used, but I think it's quite sad that external parties are having problems.

[update]I've just visited one the people who couldn't see the pics. He was using FF, and a shift-reload sorted out his problem.[/update]
    I got this response from the person I quoted earlier:
    "When I get to the site, the bar at the bottom tells me that there is "error on the page". Near the top under "Pilanesberg 2007 fire" there is an inch high grey bar across the top of the page. Clicking on "Pilanesberg 2007 fire" does nothing except highlight that particular word. I have tried clicking on the slideshow but this only gives me a screen with "Loading Slideshow" and a moving indeterminate green shape (at the bottom there is also "error on page"). At the top it shows thatI am at 0 of 15 (and have been for 30 minutes now)."

He's using IE6. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Simon King wrote:

work fine for me (today)

Yes, this one works fine for me too.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I got this response from the person I quoted earlier:
    "When I get to the site, the bar at the bottom tells me that there is"error on the page". Near the top under "Pilanesberg 2007 fire" there isan inch high grey bar across the top of the page. Clicking on"Pilanesberg 2007 fire" does nothing except highlight that particularword. I have tried clicking on the slideshow but this only gives me ascreen with "Loading Slideshow" and a moving indeterminate green shape(at the bottom there is also "error on page"). At the top it shows thatI am at 0 of 15 (and have been for 30 minutes now)."

He's using IE6. headscratch.gif
    Sounds like a connection or cache problem. Do other SmugMug sites work for him?

Please have him clear his cache:
    1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options... .
    2. Choose the General tab.
    3. In the "Temporary Internet Files" section, click Delete Files... .
    4. To confirm the deletion, click OK.
    5. In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.

Let us know if this helps, please.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Not working for me either.
    Can you make me a screengrab of this page for us? that might give us a clue, as we are looking for some other thins as well. Thanks!

You can also post it on your Smug account, and give me a link, you don't need to specifically email it to me, as long as I can see it somehow.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Sure Ivar. But I have to run now, will post a screen grap a little later.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    Sure Ivar. But I have to run now, will post a screen grap a little later.

Thanks
    No problem, thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    say they don't see the big pictures, only the thumbs.
    Here's a grab of this site. I put the EXIF window up to show that it was working.

139268148-L.jpg

Same as yesterday, FF2 on XP, Norton AV, corporate firewall. Shift-refresh solved it yesterday (I'm not going to do that today for debug purposes). Every night when I leave I restart the machine. I came in this morning, fired up FF and got this. The gallery I post to DGrin from (where I uploaded this image to) is showing the problem currently as well.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Firebug from above

139269886-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Here it is. Notice that the main photo is not showing. There are other problems (mentioned earlier, but it's better to focus on this issue for now).

139270468-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    screen grabs of the 3 links you posted.

139270711-L.jpg

139270528-L.jpg

139270520-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    DJ, are you using FF2. If so, did you update it lately. Seems my problem started after the update, but that could be coincidence.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    aam1234 wrote:
    DJ, are you using FF2. If so, did you update it lately. Seems my problem started after the update, but that could be coincidence.

I don't remember when updates were done - I'm running 2.0.0.3.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Here's firebug dumps for the 2 Ivar galleries. The screen was long so there's 2 images to get it all in - thought it would be interesting to see any differences between the one that works and the one that doesn't.

Here's the one that's not right:

139272854-L.jpg

139272844-L.jpg

and here's the good one:

139272861-L.jpg

139272872-L.jpg

...hope I didn't get those backwards... :D
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Hm, somethign seems odd about your Firebug - notice that there are NO images listed? Here is what my Firebug looks like after visiting that same gallery:

139275569-L.jpg

You say that you are behind a corporate firewall, do you also know if you are usig a proxy? I say that because someone else who reported this same problem was behind a proxy and was able to update the cached css and js. Once he did that the problem was solved.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Hmm, maybe I screwed up something in the first Firebug? I just went back to that gallery tab (I had left it untouched). I closed the Firebug window, refreshed the tab (NOT shift-refresh), and looked at the Firebug. The console now has an error - it didn't before. AND the gallery loads properly now. eek7.gif And the Net tab looks more like yours.

Here's the console error:

photoHover is not defined 2618609#138168079 (line 1)
    onmouseover(mouseover clientX=0, clientY=0)

So I went to one of the tabs of Ivar's galleries (from the other thread) and refreshed (not shift-refresh) and now that gallery looks good, too.

All I did in the meantime was read your post and go the control panel-internet options-connections to see what was there. I am using a proxy; without changing anything I hit OK. Now these pages that weren't working seem okay.

Does any of this make sense to you, because it's all greek to me.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    I think the proxy has/had a cached version a corrupted javascript or css file. So when you shift+refresh sometimes you get the good version (maybe even bypassing the proxy temporarily), but after a while the proxy corrupts the file again (or never got rid of it to begin with).

If you know whoever is in control of the proxy, it would be great if they could reset it (or whatever smugmug.com files it has).

Please let me know if the problem comes back, I would love for you to look on our development servers to see if the problem is there too.

Thanks!
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Hmm, maybe I screwed up something in the first Firebug? I just went back to that gallery tab (I had left it untouched). I closed the Firebug window, refreshed the tab (NOT shift-refresh), and looked at the Firebug. The console now has an error - it didn't before. AND the gallery loads properly now. eek7.gif And the Net tab looks more like yours.

Here's the console error:

photoHover is not defined 2618609#138168079 (line 1)
    onmouseover(mouseover clientX=0, clientY=0)

So I went to one of the tabs of Ivar's galleries (from the other thread) and refreshed (not shift-refresh) and now that gallery looks good, too.

All I did in the meantime was read your post and go the control panel-internet options-connections to see what was there. I am using a proxy; without changing anything I hit OK. Now these pages that weren't working seem okay.

Does any of this make sense to you, because it's all greek to me.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    I think the proxy has/had a cached version a corrupted javascript or css file. So when you shift+refresh sometimes you get the good version (maybe even bypassing the proxy temporarily), but after a while the proxy corrupts the file again (or never got rid of it to begin with).

If you know whoever is in control of the proxy, it would be great if they could reset it (or whatever smugmug.com files it has).
    Sounds reasonable, except that I didn't shift-refresh - just a regular refresh. In the past that hasn't helped, where shift-refresh has.

Unfortunately I have no way of getting the proxy reset, I'm just a minnow in a large company's ocean. :D

Also, I have similar problems at home on occasion and I'm not running a proxy there.
    Please let me know if the problem comes back, I would love for you to look on our development servers to see if the problem is there too.

Thanks!
    I'll definitely keep giving you guys all the info I can, unfortunately this isn't my area of expertise so I don't know if the info is helpful or not. But I think more data is a good thing probably, especially with an intermittent thing like this.

Thanks -
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Also, I have similar problems at home on occasion and I'm not running a proxy there.

Yeah, I am not saying that the proxy is always the problem - it just has been for people who persistently have this issue. For home users a shift+refresh has solved it and they have not written back.

What is causing the files to be corrupted is more important though, which I will be looking in to next.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    What's interesting to me is Ivar's 2 links. One consitently failed and the other consistently worked. On the surface they look the same and link the same images. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    To me it makes the proxy/cache issue more valid. The ONLY difference between his example links are the URL - which the proxy uses to store it's cached version and identify it. It doest not know that abc.com/1.html is the same as def.com/1.html - so it stores two copies.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    What's interesting to me is Ivar's 2 links. One consitently failed and the other consistently worked. On the surface they look the same and link the same images. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    To me it makes the proxy/cache issue more valid. The ONLY difference between his example links are the URL - which the proxy uses to store it's cached version and identify it. It doest not know that abc.com/1.html is the same as def.com/1.html - so it stores two copies.

So does that mean we have a solution?ear.gifThat would be sweet!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    Cross your fingers, just implemented a small fix to see if it can work :) I would love everyone who is following this thread or reported a similar problem to please go check their sites.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Would be sweet indeed wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Cross your fingers, just implemented a small fix to see if it can work :) I would love everyone who is following this thread or reported a similar problem to please go check their sites.

Things have definitely improved! I can now see more than the thumbs and the gallewryr and picture controls are now visib;le

However the top of my home page is still not all there, but maybe that's a cache question..

Checked -nope the top of most pages still isn't loading properly. i.e. ican't quite see the tops of pages

Ill post some shots if I can..EDIT: here's one, now I can also see the contol,buttons but not the login etc controls.....?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..