Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I will enjoy the fermented forms of soy, which do not have the same problems inherent in them that non-fermented soy do. Or, at least, that's what I've read, and I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it works for me.

That has been my experience, but I grew up eating these foods so maybe my body is just accustomed to them :D whereas I did not try soy milk until adulthood. I can tolerate soy milk, but there is a definite change in the
    'gastric mood' as you mention mwink.gif which is why we use it infrequently. Interesting to note that your weight loss hit a plateau with the use of soy milk.

We serve tempeh at the restaurant, and it has always been a big hit -- tastewise it is more palatable than tofu (for most), texturewise it shares the semi-chewy texture as meat dishes, and it's friendly on the intestines thumb.gif. If anyone wants tried and true tempeh recipes, just PM me [ETA: with your email address] - we have several.

Art - I love having regular patrons like you - it's like Cheers, where "everybody knows your name" :ivar!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Anyone looking for help with the discipline of sticking to your new way of eating, you could try using the Seinfeldian Chain.

Every day you acheive your goal, whatever it is, you put a big red X on the day. After a while, you have a chain. Your job: don't break the chain.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    *sigh* I may just have to melt some plastic and get a Vitamix... thanks for the refurb pointer David, that will save me some $$. thumb.gif Do any of you use the dry blades, or will the wet ones pretty much do?

More questions:

This smoothie website recommends adding vanilla protein powder to the recipes. Any thoughts on this?

I have been adding soy milk to my smoothies -David, what did you substitute (if anything)?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    he recipes. Any thoughts on this?

I have been adding soy milk to my smoothies -David, what did you substitute (if anything)?

Water. :D It was fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    Did you get the dry blades too?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Did you get the dry blades too?

No. I got the 5000, which as a refurb was the same cost as the 4500. Although, if I had bought the 5000 from amazon, it may have been the same new, without shipping (amazon prime) and tax.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    10 foods you don't eat that are good for you, sez a magazine.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 10, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    10 foods you don't eat that are good for you, sez a magazine.

Wow! With the exception of goji berries I eat all those things fairly regularly!

I'm eating healthy and didn't even realize it... YIPPEEE!!!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2007
    So here is something to ponder. My husband is (semi willingly) starting to think about cooking this way more than we have been (hubby cooks, and is really good). He told me that the reason for it is because:

"since you've been eating this way, your mood has really improved".

Now that is something I had not noticed - other than the fact I feel pretty good most every day. And can do my clothes up easier. And a friend commented that I am looking better too!
    :D
    ann
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    My mood is much improved, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2007
    I bet your skin, hair and nails all look better too!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited August 11, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    I bet your skin, hair and nails all look better too!

Look at TO's avatar pic. That's not him as a child - it's a recent picture.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 11, 2007
    Depression is a big problem with men in middle age and, knock on wood, I have absolutely no feelings that resemble it. My understanding is that a good diet and some exercise are the best things you can do to prevent depression.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Wow! With the exception of goji berries I eat all those things fairly regularly!

I'm eating healthy and didn't even realize it... YIPPEEE!!!

Goji Berries mmmmm

The Costco goji berries are too sweetened. But they work great in morning oatmeal.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Look at TO's avatar pic. That's not him as a child - it's a recent picture.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Depression is a big problem with men in middle age and, knock on wood, I have absolutely no feelings that resemble it. My understanding is that a good diet and some exercise are the best things you can do to prevent depression.
    I can attest to exercise making a huge difference to mood.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    *sigh* I may just have to melt some plastic and get a Vitamix... thanks for the refurb pointer David, that will save me some $$. thumb.gif Do any of you use the dry blades, or will the wet ones pretty much do?

More questions:

This smoothie website recommends adding vanilla protein powder to the recipes. Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, water works. And if you include some juicy fruits or pretty wet veggies (romaine lettuce, for example) you hardly have to add any water at all, anyway.

I believe the dry blades/canister are for grinding wheat, rice, etc. My mother-in-law has 'em and uses them occasionally, but everyone else I know just goes for the regular old Vitamix. thumb.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    My weight loss stopped completely when I started on the soy in my smoothies, I started breaking out, and things weren't going as "smoothly", if you catch my drift. :D

TMI

(toooooo much information) biggrinbounce2.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    That smoothie site recommends putting in whole apples. Seems like a bad idea to me. I've always heard that apple seeds have cyanide in them. ne_nau.gif

And, as for recipes, I've been just chucking in fruit and spinach, and I can't say as there's a way to make a bad smoothie. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    That smoothie site recommends putting in whole apples. Seems like a bad idea to me. I've always heard that apple seeds have cyanide in them. ne_nau.gif

And, as for recipes, I've been just chucking in fruit and spinach, and I can't say as there's a way to make a bad smoothie. :D

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/apples.asp
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    Angelo wrote:

Interesting. True, but not a huge concern. And, most importantly to me, not something I would want pulverized in my smoothie!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    So, there's a big family wedding today - we're all getting dressed up.

Have to say, it's SOOOO nice to fit into clothes instead of busting out of them!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Interesting. True, but not a huge concern. And, most importantly to me, not something I would want pulverized in my smoothie!

I agree
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    found on misscelllania.com

mansprogress.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    found on misscelllania.com

mansprogress.jpg
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Re: soymilk, I'm suspicious of it too. Why's it white? So much processing? And they sure like to add a lot of stuff to most soymilks like sugar and carrageenan... I don't know much about carrageenan. What's the deal?

My oldest son loves to put carrot juice in his smoothies so he can tolerate more veggies in the smoothie. Carrot juice tends to sweeten it up.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    I feel so much better without the soymilk. And, the lbs. started dropping again. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

There is cyanide in apple seeds but the amount of seeds needed to be poisonous is around a peck to a bushel at one time and I think any seed could be dangerous in that amount.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    There is cyanide in apple seeds but the amount of seeds needed to be poisonous is around a peck to a bushel at one time and I think any seed could be dangerous in that amount.........

I'm still not putting it in my Vitamix. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm still not putting it in my Vitamix. :D

OK OK OK, we get it.... NO SEEDS IN THE VITAMIX!!!

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    OK OK OK, we get it.... NO SEEDS IN THE VITAMIX!!!

lol3.gif

Pips, Angelo. Pips.

:D
    Moderator Emeritus