Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    My cousin-in-law is an avid cyclist, and is contemplating an Eat To Live diet, but is worried about workout energy. You have any resources he could read on keeping on this diet while training? ear.gif
    That's a very good question. I'm finding myself experimenting a lot without a really good book to fall back on.

There are some great endurance athletes who eat this way, like Scott Jurek, who has dominated ultrarunning for more than a decade, but I'm not sure what he eats during his runs other than hummus and whole wheat pitas.

I've heard some athletes, like Dave Scott, 6-time IronMan world champion, say peanut butter on whole wheat really does it for him. I don't know why that would work because peanut butter is very slow to digest and high in fat, but for some reason it really seems to do it for me too. That and Odwalla drinks like Blueberry B Monster, Mango Tango, etc. I also eat Berries Gomega Odwalla bars and various dried fruits I mix together.

I have to admit, however, that when I really get out on the ragged edge duriing a race and the blood sugar is low, I'll reach for engineered foods like gels.

I ran a 5-miler last March on a 4.5-mile loop course and got passed twice by a guy who had the best 50-mile time of the year (and he went undefeated in his other races). He went down on orange juice, broth, and nut/raisin mix at the aid stations.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    That's a very good question.....

Thanks!

Any thoughts on this book?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    Health vs Performance
    This thread is priceless! Nutrition and lifestyle ideas that are unmassaged by the marketing machine are few and far between these days.

I think it's important to keep in mind that nutrition for health, well being, and balanced living is far different than nutrition for strength, performance and physical endurance.

Note also that, while excercise and movement are very important to health and well being, endurance/performance sport does not necessarily promote, but often diminishes, physical health.

One lifestyle is an investment in health and well being while the other is an investment in performance and endurance.

Anyone have any comments on Dr. Oz? He sure gets a lot of press up here in Winter Wonderland.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:

Thanks Anne for the recipe. thumb.gif I'm off work next week and hope to have more time for cooking and experimenting with some new menus so I will cook up a batch. Right now I'm just winging it and don't have time in the evenings for much cooking. It's been 3 weeks and has (so far) been an easy adjustment. I knew the holidays was actually a good time for me to get started....yes, the yummies are sitting around the office, but I'm not even tempted! So perhaps I will lose 10 lbs. this season instead of gaining!!! :D I'm glad to see the discussion leaning towards reading materials and energy and endurance. I'm not an athlete by any means, but I have always reached for protein to keep me mentally alert at work as well as for physical endurance. I take heart medication that slows me down, with caffeine being a no-no, boosting my energy level has always been an issue. Now I'm not so sure what a good replacement snack would be. Mostly I have pre-packaged individual servings (as in keep your hands out of the nut bowl!!!) of nuts and cranberries. I also have discovered hummus....who knew??? eek7.gif Wow...so many flavors! Not sure why I avoided it for so long! I keep some in the office fridge, and it sure helps curb hunger quickly. Generally I am feeling really good...better than before, that's for sure. If work wasn't so very stressful right now, I think I would be feeling even better ... it is beyond challenging right now. I'm taking extra supplements just to combat stress and fatigue. I'm so glad this thread exists....there's so much info out there to digest!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:

It looks great, Anne.

Think this would hold together in a crockpot rather than stovetop?
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks!

Any thoughts on this book?
    I read it before The China Study and have a lot of respect for it. I was thinking about it when making my last post.

I think it's interesting that he coaches so many top athletes in various sports from Lance to football players, and he says almost always they're eating too high a protein diet that's making them sluggish. He's all about clean-burning carbs, low fat, easy on the protein.

I remember beans and rice, grape nuts for breakfast, energy bars low in fat on the bike, etc. He did comment that eating lactose is like putting wet logs on a fire.

Interestingly, I just found out that mother's milk is in the 5-6% protein range. So at the peak of human growth and development, nature is providing 6% protein. Cow's milk is 47%.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Thanks!

I've passed the info on. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    He did comment that eating lactose is like putting wet logs on a fire.
    Interesting analogy. We used to put wet wood on the stop the fire from burning out too soon. A way of reining in the horses, as it were.

Re milk: I understand there is also a very different selection of proteins in human milk and that the fat and sugars are different as well. Another note is that the composition of human milk changes with time and environment as the child ages and various stressors are applied. Thing is, milk is meant for infants and small children and they have an almost completely different physiology than adults.
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I remember beans and rice, grape nuts for breakfast, energy bars low in fat on the bike, etc. He did comment that eating lactose is like putting wet logs on a fire.

Baldy, I haven't read his book, but what type of rice is yea and what does he say is nay? Some sources are OK with brown rice and other grasses; some allow long grain white; others say all are verboten.

Also, all lactose, including hard cheese (moderation of course)?
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Baldy, I haven't read his book, but what type of rice is yea and what does he say is nay? Some sources are OK with brown rice and other grasses; some allow long grain white; others say all are verboten.

Also, all lactose, including hard cheese (moderation of course)?
    A lot of the athletes he coaches are on the very pointy end of the field, such as Lance. During the Tour, the cyclists eat a diet with all fiber stripped because it slows digestion -- a good thing for you and me but not so good if you have to process 12,000 calories a day.

So he didn't seem too concerned with white versus brown rice. I believe that for most of us, the extra fiber is a very good thing.

I know Lance's doctor used to bring wheels of Parmesan cheese to the team from Italy.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cool. After watching that one, I watched a bunch of others, and liked this one. I think I'll do a math lesson with my kids in the kitchen this weekend!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd9XnyNGXGs&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yd9XnyNGXGs&rel=1&border=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    I got my DVD today. His talk is outstanding & astounding. So many compelling examples.

Here's one:

In the 80s when the low-fat craze swept the nation, Nabisco had a problem with graham crackers. They really needed the low fat label, but removing fat made them taste like health food, which would ruin sales.

So they added sugar to push the calories per serving from 100 to 150, enough that the fat percent dropped low enough to win the coveted low-fat label. Cinnamon Grahams with sugar on top, Honey Grahams, etc.

Their market research showed that women bought them, men balked at the low-fat claim because they thought it would ruin the taste, but they were willing to take a bite. Turned out they liked them and ate the same number as before, ingesting the same amount of fat but 50% more calories.

In the 80s we didn't eat less fat, just more calories, so the national waistline went up.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    I got my DVD today.

....hmmmm.....tempted..... :D I may just get that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    My year-end update!

I started on this in the middle of July, and started at 210 lbs. I wanted to lose 40 lbs. by the end of this year.

Well, I've nearly made it. I'm 4 lbs. shy of my goal, but hey, the year's not out! I highly doubt that I'll all of a sudden lose those 4 lbs, at least at the rate I've been losing lately. It's slowed down to a crawl.

I'm feeling great, I'm getting my head around the new types of food to make, and it's going great. For a long time I was eating the same things all the time, and it was fine. It's still fine, but now I'm enjoying trying new things. Stews are my new thing. Throw it all in a pot, and in no time, it's some creamy, vegetabley goodness.

Anyway, thanks to all for the support, ideas and knowledge. I feel great! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    My year-end update!

I started on this in the middle of July, and started at 210 lbs. I wanted to lose 40 lbs. by the end of this year.

Well, I've nearly made it.

Stews are my new thing. Throw it all in a pot, and in no time, it's some creamy, vegetabley goodness.

Anyway, thanks to all for the support, ideas and knowledge. I feel great! clap.gif

Congrats, Dave! Excellent!

I've discovered homemade vegetable soups! I have never been a soup person - but starting with carmelized onions, adding in all kinds of other veg, garlic, rosemary, veg broth, simmer away, add salt and pepper at the end and blend it to a creamy, thick texture and it is delicious.

Good work!

ann
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    Have you tried Dr. Fuhrman's Anti-Cancer Soup? I love that.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Have you tried Dr. Fuhrman's Anti-Cancer Soup? I love that.

No - not yet. Just looked at the recipe on line - the cashew addition sounds great!!!

I just cleaned out the fridge - simmering away are 5 onions (carmelized first), broccoli, snow peas, carrots, bell pepper, spinach, one jalapeno, 4 heads garlic smooshed, a liter of organic vegetable broth and one potatoe grated so it acts as thickener. I may add some lentils or kidney beans too. I wish I had celery and leek on hand but didn't. I also didn't have any fresh rosemary. I do intend to blend it up.

Now, I have not fully read either Eat to Live or The China Study. I bought them for my dad for Christmas, as he tends to do things like gobble garlic pills rather than eat fresh food. I browsed through both books before wrapping them, and I actually do not like the tone of the author of The China Study. I think he has a great messsage, but I don't like the way he presents his arguement. But then, that is probably more me than himrolleyes1.gif .

Of course, I haven't fully adopted the program either, and have only had some small amount of weight loss (about 12 lb) and a general improvement in my joints.

ann
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    My year-end update!

Well, I've nearly made it. I'm 4 lbs. shy of my goal, but hey, the year's not out! I highly doubt that I'll all of a sudden lose those 4 lbs, at least at the rate I've been losing lately. It's slowed down to a crawl.

I'm feeling great, I'm getting my head around the new types of food to make, and it's going great. For a long time I was eating the same things all the time, and it was fine. It's still fine, but now I'm enjoying trying new things. Stews are my new thing. Throw it all in a pot, and in no time, it's some creamy, vegetabley goodness.

WOW!! Major respect. bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I have to say, I feel better now than I ever have in my life, even in my 20s.

Any idea what's happened to your blood chemistry?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

Any idea what's happened to your blood chemistry?

No. I was going to wait six months. After the 1st I'm making an appointment. I'll post the results then. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I'm 4 lbs. shy of my goal, but hey, the year's not out!

:ivar Congratulations, David ~ not only on the amazing weight loss, but also on finding a new way of life! Your results are incredible!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Snicker!!
    Baldy wrote:
    ... I have to say, I feel better now than I ever have in my life, even in my 20s. ...
    I must add... you're looking a little green around the gills there Baldy!
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl

Happy Holidays All !!!
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2007
    gregneil wrote:
    I'm almost 3 months into the diet, and I've lost 32 pounds -
    Hey Greg!

Nice work!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I almost missed your post until Ben pointed it out to me. Your parents stopped me at a wedding a couple of months ago and said they're trying to eat better because of what they're hearing from you. It's gonna be interesting to see what they eat during their 3 years in Albania. Ben is really impressed with the way you've taken no prisoners and embraced this.

It's so great that you started it when you're young. I heard a doctor say he'd gone to a medical conference where they taught that everyone in America has heart disease past the age of 65. You should keep this in mind for all your patients because their weakened circulation increases their risk for most diseases and impairs their ability to recover from surgery.

Now get Blotter to shape up.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    My year-end update!

clap.gif awesome news. Congrats and keep it up.

Me? 11months into it, 55+ lbs gone. It could be more, I've not weighed myself in a while. I feel 1000x better than I have ever felt.

I do know that my lovely dear wife got me a whole new buncha clothes for Christmas today, and it was cool to see sizes that were 6" less in the waist and L's and XL's instead of XXLs in the shirts/sweaters :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2007
    David, that's awesome! Huge props for sharing all your experiences here too! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Do You Want To Live Forever.

A Channel 4 documentary about Dr. Aubrey de Grey who believes that we could extend life indefinitely by addressing seven major factors in the aging process.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Greg!

Nice work!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I almost missed your post until Ben pointed it out to me. Your parents stopped me at a wedding a couple of months ago and said they're trying to eat better because of what they're hearing from you. It's gonna be interesting to see what they eat during their 3 years in Albania. Ben is really impressed with the way you've taken no prisoners and embraced this.

It's so great that you started it when you're young. I heard a doctor say he'd gone to a medical conference where they taught that everyone in America has heart disease past the age of 65. You should keep this in mind for all your patients because their weakened circulation increases their risk for most diseases and impairs their ability to recover from surgery.

Now get Blotter to shape up.

Thanks Baldy! Everyone in my family got their own copy of The China Study for Christmas this year. It's really been a life-changing book for me. Hopefully it will continue to spread. I'm having lunch with Blotto this week, I'll see if I can put a little friendly pressure on him... :)
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Holidays Crushed Me
    I'm glad to hear everyone is doing so well. I started this diet at the beginning of October and did great right up until about Thangsgiving. I succumbed to turkey and mashed potatos and delicious gravy. I didn't feel too bad about it because I figured cheating one day wasn't too bad. But between Thanksgiving and Christmas I started to reintroduce some of the things I had avoided. Once I had opened the door a little bit, it wasn't too hard to rationalize things like a little milk in my coffee won't hurt, cheese on my veggie burrito is okay, and so on and so on. It's a very slippery slope for me. I haven't fallen off the bandwagon completely. I still eat fruit for breakfast and salad for lunch just about everyday. But now that the big food holidays are past, I'm refocusing and am determined to get back on track.

I still feel much better than I had in the past. But I feel it when I cheat and that's great motivation to just stick to the diet.

Teresa
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    ttorres33 wrote:
    I still feel much better than I had in the past. But I feel it when I cheat and that's great motivation to just stick to the diet.

Teresa
    Hi Teresa,

When I started this it made so much sense to me that allowing myself some treats would be the best strategy to keep myself eating this way. Surely it can't be what you eat 10% of the time that hurts you, so why not splurge a little now and then?

But it turns out it's not about discipline for me. If I don't moderate, I lose the temptation and don't miss it. And I came to love what I eat now and don't feel I need anything else.

Mormons don't drink coffee, tea, alcohol, or smoke. You wonder, "Yikes! How do they do it?" And the answer is after awhile they just don't miss it (a lot of them compensate with Snicker bars rolleyes1.gif ).

I went on Safari to Africa last summer with friends and every day there were amazing buffets. At every meal as I loaded with veggies, everyone would comment, "how do you do it? I could never do that. You have so much discipline..."

Discipline? No. I love what I eat now and was in heaven. One little taste of butterscotch ice cream probably would have fanned the flames of temptation, however.
  • Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Mind the fructose, unless present in whole fruits...

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2007/2104024.htm

Jamie
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    So DavidTO brought this site to my attention and I thought it looked pretty darned spiffy:TasteBook.com - Create your own beautiful, personalized cookbooks!

Wouldn't it be a cool idea if we could have a collection of great homegrown SmugDiet recipes, complete with great Dgrin-grade photography? I think it could be a wonderful addition to the kitchen bookshelf, especially if you're like me and have lots of space now that you've chucked/archived your old cookbooks that no longer make The List. :D

We already have a gallery of recipes that people have contributed that looks fantastic. I'm sure since it's inception a lot of you who've made the change have some recipes of your own (or even modifications of old favorites that pass the requirements.) We'd love to immortalize them, too, if you're willing.

I'm gonna try playing around with it and see what comes of it. Feel free to continue sharing recipes and/or photos if you wish, and the nice thing about this format is that we can keep adding pages to it if we get more cooks.

Thoughts? ear.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    So DavidTO brought this site to my attention and I thought it looked pretty darned spiffy:TasteBook.com - Create your own beautiful, personalized cookbooks!

Wouldn't it be a cool idea if we could have a collection of great homegrown SmugDiet recipes, complete with great Dgrin-grade photography? I think it could be a wonderful addition to the kitchen bookshelf, especially if you're like me and have lots of space now that you've chucked/archived your old cookbooks that no longer make The List. :D

We already have a gallery of recipes that people have contributed that looks fantastic. I'm sure since it's inception a lot of you who've made the change have some recipes of your own (or even modifications of old favorites that pass the requirements.) We'd love to immortalize them, too, if you're willing.

I'm gonna try playing around with it and see what comes of it. Feel free to continue sharing recipes and/or photos if you wish, and the nice thing about this format is that we can keep adding pages to it if we get more cooks.

Thoughts? ear.gif
    I'm in, or I would be if I had any original recipes. All I have is recipes out of other cookbooks. Wouldn't that be a copyright violation? Of course, if we're not making a profit off of this, maybe it wouldn't?

Is there a lawyer in the house?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/