Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Hmmm
    Great idea schmoo! Copyright may well be a huge problem, agreed. But it's a great idea all the same!!

'Stock photos' meets 'stock recipes'!!
    rolleyes1.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Great! I'm glad there is some interest in this. I wrote to Customer Support at TasteBook and they promise to get back to me within 1 business day.

I hope their reply is actually useful, but if not I'll second Mike in the call for lawyers.... :D

Edit: That was fast! I heard back already and the verdict is: We cannot have recipes that are copied from published works. However, modified recipes are not copyright infringement so if you've got recipes you've altered and want to share, then step 'em up!
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Great! I'm glad there is some interest in this. I wrote to Customer Support at TasteBook and they promise to get back to me within 1 business day.

I hope their reply is actually useful, but if not I'll second Mike in the call for lawyers.... :D

Edit: That was fast! I heard back already and the verdict is: We cannot have recipes that are copied from published works. However, modified recipes are not copyright infringement so if you've got recipes you've altered and want to share, then step 'em up!
    Well, in that case, I'm in.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I'm in on the cookbook. My SmugBoy (shizam) needs to step up and start photographing my cooking, or I need to figure out how to use all his lights and stuff....

I'm enjoying a nice big bowl of butternut squash curry right now and trying to figure out what I want to do with these huge radishes my produce delivery people just dropped off.

Edit: I just realized I dropped in and started talking with no background at all. My husband works for SmugMug and started there about two months after I started eating like this. It was a very happy coincidence that many people there eat like me and have partially converted him, and it makes cooking lots easier. I've lost a ton of weight without trying and feel great. I've been vegetarian since I was 11, and tried going vegan before but didn't stick with it, and ate lots of vegan junk-food. Going all the way and eating all whole foods has made it a lot easier, for some reason.
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hi Teresa,

When I started this it made so much sense to me that allowing myself some treats would be the best strategy to keep myself eating this way. Surely it can't be what you eat 10% of the time that hurts you, so why not splurge a little now and then?

I think this is exactly what gets me in to trouble. For the first 8 weeks I only ate good stuff. I had zero refined sugar. Perhaps it's because I have blood sugar problems (or perhaps it's merely my complete lack of self-discipline), but if I eat any sugar at all, I just want to keep eating it.

When I don't eat it, I don't miss it. When I try to eat it occasionally, I want to keep eating it. So I'm back to avoiding it altogether for now. I might get to the point where having treats occasionally will work. But two months on just the good stuff wasn't long enough for me to not want to keep eating it after trying a little. :-)

Teresa
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    ttorres33 wrote:
    I think this is exactly what gets me in to trouble. For the first 8 weeks I only ate good stuff. I had zero refined sugar. Perhaps it's because I have blood sugar problems (or perhaps it's merely my complete lack of self-discipline), but if I eat any sugar at all, I just want to keep eating it.

When I don't eat it, I don't miss it. When I try to eat it occasionally, I want to keep eating it. So I'm back to avoiding it altogether for now. I might get to the point where having treats occasionally will work. But two months on just the good stuff wasn't long enough for me to not want to keep eating it after trying a little. :-)

Teresa

I can so relate to this! I like the idea of not HAVING to eliminate refined sugar, yet when I try to just go moderate with it, I find myself in trouble more than I'd like. But I'm determined that 2008 must be a year for conquering these issues!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Im about to BBQ a steak thats literally 400mm long & weights 700 grams. Ive had it bathing all day in 6 cloves of crushed garlic..butter & olive oil. Its going on the grill beside 2 onions & baked potatoes. Chased only by a huuuuge lump of warm chocolate mud cake with chocolate fudge for icing & swimming in ice-cream.

Just letting you blokes know im still reading this thread.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Im about to BBQ a steak thats literally 400mm long & weights 700 grams. Ive had it bathing all day in 6 cloves of crushed garlic..butter & olive oil. Its going on the grill beside 2 onions & baked potatoes. Chased only by a huuuuge lump of warm chocolate mud cake with chocolate fudge for icing & swimming in ice-cream.

thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    gus wrote:

thumb.gif
    you're going to eat a 25 oz steak, onions, a baked potato, and a massive lump of rich cake? Gross! rolleyes1.gif Even at my worst (teenage years not withstanding) I could never eat that much. Now, even a quarter of that steak would make me a permanent fixture on the porceline throne that night and the next day. rolleyes1.gif

:puke

• Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    I'm in on the cookbook. My SmugBoy (shizam) needs to step up and start photographing my cooking, or I need to figure out how to use all his lights and stuff....

I'm enjoying a nice big bowl of butternut squash curry right now and trying to figure out what I want to do with these huge radishes my produce delivery people just dropped off.

Edit: I just realized I dropped in and started talking with no background at all. My husband works for SmugMug and started there about two months after I started eating like this. It was a very happy coincidence that many people there eat like me and have partially converted him, and it makes cooking lots easier. I've lost a ton of weight without trying and feel great. I've been vegetarian since I was 11, and tried going vegan before but didn't stick with it, and ate lots of vegan junk-food. Going all the way and eating all whole foods has made it a lot easier, for some reason.

Yay Beth!!! :ivar

I had no idea you were a recent convert to the vegan thing. Since I only met you in Glacier I just assumed you were a pro at it.... esp as the rest of us were busy having Meatloaf Incidents and all! :D

I'd love to hear your recipes (especially that butternut squash, sounds good) but don't let shizzy's lack of photos stop you from sharing them. Unless you do want to play around with the cameras I want to try everything I can possibly fit in my schedule and I've always loved experimenting with food photography. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Wow Gus, you must be hungry enough to eat the crotch off a low-flying duck!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Shizam's dinner, my breakfast
    Steamed broccoli

Roasted potatoes
    Sweet potatoes and Yukon gold cut into bite size pieces, mircowaved until tender sprinkled with salt and pepper and roasted at 450 degrees on a baking sheet sprayed with oil. Tossed every 15 minutes until crispy.

Roasted portabella mushroom
    Rubbed with a little sesame oil and drizzled with soy sauce, roasted with potatoes for the last 10 minutes

(original recipe from Vegan with a Vengence, recommended by Ben MacAskill - book and recipe)
    Garbanzo Gravy

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
    1 Onion
    2 Teaspoons Mustard Seeds
    3 Cloves Garlic
    1 Can Garbanzos/Chickpeas (2 Cups if you thought ahead and cooked them yourself)

Assorted herbs and Spices
    I used:
    Teaspoon fresh rosemary
    Teaspoon fresh sage
    Two shakes oregano
    Teaspoon paprika
    Two shakes smoked chili flakes
    Teaspoon cumin
    Two shakes coriander

Lemon juice and sherry vinegar, about a tablespoon of each

1/4 Cup Flour (whole wheat seemed to work fine)
    2 1/2 Water or Veg Broth

1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast

Slice/chop the onion and cook over medium heat in oil (less oil would work fine) for 20 minutes or so, until soft and browned, but make sure to keep the heat low enough that this happens slowly. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes more.

Add drained chickpeas and use a potato masher or fork to smoosh them up. Add spices and acids (juice and vinegar)

Whisk together flour and liquid, add to pan, lowering heat.

Stir until mixture comes to a light boil, then reduce to low and cook for a couple minutes more to thicken. Add nutritional yeast and cook for a minute more, adding more liquid if it seems too thick.

Done. This made quite a bit. I think I'll sautee up some of the baby shiitake mushrooms I got last night with my produce delivery and add those to the leftover gravy and eat it over a spinach kinish (sp?) for breakfast. Yum (it's a comfort-food sort of morning here in Mountain View, CA)

239197467-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    wings.gif

Thank you so much and wow... that is one beautiful photo. You don't mind if I take both and put them into the SmugDiet TasteBook?

I certainly hope you're allowed to eat it warm and fresh, too, not just as leftovers? That you don't have some kind of archaic ancient Egyptian pecking order in your household... lol3.gif
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    MMmm yea, soo good.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    No, no pecking order here, I had already eaten when Sam came home craving this gravy Ben had been going on about, and we had all the ingredients.... Do with it what you will.

If I have other recipes/photos in the future, should I post them here or send them to someone else to put on that recipe page or?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Beth,

I know that most of us are flexible on measurements, but since oil is restricted on the Eat to Live diet, what is the minimum you estimate you could use for this recipe?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    I tend to not use any oil at all, but the first time I make something I sometimes try to follow the recipe, which is why I included the oil. So next time I make this, I'm just using a dry non-stick pan and adding water if the onions start to stick.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Schmoo raises a good point. How about we try to keep the recipes as strict to the guidelines in ETL as possible? i.e. no salt, traces of oils, and keep it to nutrient dense foods? ear.gif

Also, we do have to keep in mind that we need to be using recipes that are at the very least modified from any cookbook, if not altogether original. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Schmoo raises a good point. How about we try to keep the recipes as strict to the guidelines in ETL as possible? i.e. no salt, traces of oils, and keep it to nutrient dense foods? ear.gif

I've read The China Study (thanks for lending that to me, Baldy), but not Eat to Live. Can someone summarize the 'rules'? I started eating like this because I was feeling sick and poorly a lot of the time and eating what seemed to me to be real food (fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains and nuts in moderation) was what I tried, and it worked, I hadn't heard of any of these books before...
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    I've read The China Study (thanks for lending that to me, Baldy), but not Eat to Live. Can someone summarize the 'rules'? I started eating like this because I was feeling sick and poorly a lot of the time and eating what seemed to me to be real food (fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains and nuts in moderation) was what I tried, and it worked, I hadn't heard of any of these books before...

Health = Nutrition/Calories
    meaning nutrient dense, not calorie dense foods (exception is seeds and nuts that we need for the fats, which are very important)

no salt
    no sugar
    no refined or salted foods
    no white anything
    nothing "fortified"
    whole, plant based foods
    no or extremely little oil (empty calories)
    fats should be in their "original packaging" (nuts, seeds, etc, not pressed oils)
    lotsa lotsa greens
    not so much on the starchy stuff, but they're OK
    unlimited fruits, veggies and beans

Read the book! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Also, we do have to keep in mind that we need to be using recipes that are at the very least modified from any cookbook, if not altogether original. thumb.gif

That seems like it'd be ruling out a lot of really good modified recepies that are 99.9% of the way there for the sake of dogma. Plus it would encourage others to try to find a way to modify it past that last .01%.

eh? ne_nau.gif
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    That seems like it'd be ruling out a lot of really good modified recepies that are 99.9% of the way there for the sake of dogma. Plus it would encourage others to try to find a way to modify it past that last .01%.

eh? ne_nau.gif

I think we're agreeing? What I'm saying is eliminate oil and salt where you can. thumb.gif Just my thought.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think we're agreeing? What I'm saying is eliminate oil and salt where you can. thumb.gif Just my thought.
    How about we just get a bunch of vegan recipes and vet them at the end? Or maybe have people add suggestions for substitutions before print.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    How about we just get a bunch of vegan recipes and vet them at the end? Or maybe have people add suggestions for substitutions before print.

Yeah my recipe posted here was in no way ready for a book, I just made it the one time and used what I had around to make a meal. We could all try out the various recipes and compile our modifications/substitutions in the end.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:

We could. I'm just trying to save Schmoo some editing. Having to rewrite recipes already submitted is more work for her. Or tracking everyone down for their changes is, too. But I'm just throwing out ideas. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    I guess my post was more along the lines of the other recipes previously posted, just putting it out there to share.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Beth, I still think it works. thumb.gif I appreciate having recipes ready-to-go before entering them into the book, it is a HUGE help. I think the idea of having recipes be as they are (as close as possible) and having a preface explaining common modifications within the ETL guidelines is a great one. I mean, we're all adaptable, right? Especially when it comes to the kitchen I don't think I've ever met anyone who measured things out to the decimal when following a recipe! :D
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    I guess my post was more along the lines of the other recipes previously posted, just putting it out there to share.

Awesome! And the meal looks fantastic. I'm definitely going to try it. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    Here's my contribution, an experiment that went fairly well tonight. :D

Moroccan-Style Tagine with Chickpeas

239326562-M-1.jpg
    • Olive oil, 1 tsp or less
    • 3 cups vegetable broth
    • 2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed
    • 1 large chopped onion
    • 4-5 cloves garlic, smashed under a knife
    • ¼ cup raisins (regular or golden)
    • ¼ cup (or less) slivered almonds
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 1½ teaspoon paprika
    • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
    • ½ teaspoon tumeric
    • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    • Several large grinds of the pepper mill
    • 1 vine tomato, diced
    • coarsely chopped cilantro

Chop and heat the onions and garlic in the olive oil in a heavy pan. Sautee until tender.

Add the vegetable stock, raisins and garbanzos and bring to a simmer. Add the spices and mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and then lower heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to bring the flavors together and allow the broth to reduce slightly.

Stir in the nuts shortly before taking off the heat and top with fresh tomato and cilantro. Serve with whole wheat pita.
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Here's my contribution, an experiment that went fairly well tonight. :D

Moroccan-Style Tagine with Chickpeas

I vouch for the yummy-ness quotient of this dish. Though I'm not a fan of tomatoes, so I opted out of that part. Just throwing my 2 cents in.
    Travis