Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

It's been just over 10 weeks and I'm down 13lbs to 194 on my way to 175.

Mike Lane wrote:

Mine is now 150 :ivarwings.gifivarwings.gif

cheerleader.gif A *huge* congratulations to you both ~ wow, those are some fabulous results and a total inspiration for the rest of us on the sidelines!

I'd like to read the China Study book and any of the few others mentioned in this thread - I could buy it, but first I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in doing a book swap with me? Sort of spread the knowledge, book train sort of thing. I have 80+ books on veg*nism, mostly cookbooks (general, ethnic, regional, ... huge, small ... children, adults ...) but also a few how-to and why-be books on being, becoming and/or raising a veg*n. If you're interested in swapping, please PM me and maybe include a few titles or types of books you're interested in swapping for. I also have natural living and health books if you're interested in further information on detoxing your body or your child's from exposure to environmental toxins - pardon the slight OT but it seems to be a natural segue ne_nau.gif ).

Hope to hear from ... someone. Anyone. Bueller? :smooch
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Great idea, Stirfry. But just as an FYI, you can email SmugMug and they'll send you a free copy of The China Study.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Great idea, Stirfry. But just as an FYI, you can email SmugMug and they'll send you a free copy of The China Study.

Really? Could I do this too?? Well, I'm sure you wouldn't have stated this in public if I couldn't! Cool!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    B
    Mine is now 150 :ivarwings.gifivarwings.gif

Yay, Mike! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your wonderful news!
    Elaine

• Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Really? Could I do this too?? Well, I'm sure you wouldn't have stated this in public if I couldn't! Cool!

That's what the man said!

And Andy, too!

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks, David! Email sent. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

:uhoh I remember the invitation being extended, I've just always felt guilty about accepting it. I'm Asian. I'm Catholic. There is a lot of guilt running through my veins!!

I appreciate the reminder, David iloveyou.gif and since nobody wants to swap books with me Laughing.gif, I'll probably be in touch with Smugmug soon :D to take advantage of the generous offer.
  • Options
    edited October 3, 2007
    stirfry wrote:
    :uhoh I remember the invitation being extended, I've just always felt guilty about accepting it. I'm Asian. I'm Catholic. There is a lot of guilt running through my veins!!

I appreciate the reminder, David iloveyou.gif and since nobody wants to swap books with me Laughing.gif, I'll probably be in touch with Smugmug soon :D to take advantage of the generous offer.

I emailed and inquired and got a friendly reply that my book would be shipped in the morning! Step away from the guilt! :D
    Elaine

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Smugmug/DGrin rocks, no? clap.gif
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Smugmug/DGrin rocks, no? clap.gif

YES! I got The China Study today! Thanks so much, Smug gurus! I've already read chapter 1 and I'm heading to bed earlier than usual so I can keep reading. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    A very interesting new book, with implications beyond just diet, attacks the "consensus" that a high fat diet is unnatural or unhealthy.

First, it wasn’t clear that traditional diets were especially lean. Nineteenth-century Americans consumed huge amounts of meat; the percentage of fat in the diet of ancient hunter-gatherers, according to the best estimate today, was as high or higher than the ratio in the modern Western diet.

Second, there wasn’t really a new epidemic of heart disease. Yes, more cases were being reported, but not because people were in worse health. It was mainly because they were living longer and were more likely to see a doctor who diagnosed the symptoms.

... The American Cancer Society and the surgeon general recommended a low-fat diet to prevent cancer.

But when the theories were tested in clinical trials, the evidence kept turning up negative. As Mr. Taubes notes, the most rigorous meta-analysis of the clinical trials of low-fat diets, published in 2001 by the Cochrane Collaboration, concluded that they had no significant effect on mortality.

The author's point that a "cascade" of opinion skewed the discussion of high fats diets away from the basic science, has interesting implications for another 'hot' issue of the day.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    A very interesting new book, with implications beyond just diet, attacks the "consensus" that a high fat diet is unnatural or unhealthy.

The author's point that a "cascade" of opinion skewed the discussion of high fats diets away from the basic science, has interesting implications for another 'hot' issue of the day.

Interesting reading. That may be another book to add to my bookshelf. For what it's worth, neither the China Study nor Eat to Live recommends the low-fat diet you'll see popularized in the USDA food pyramid. Both Campbell and Furhman talk about consuming foods that are low in animal protein. Fuhrman does mention that we should stay away from foods that are all fat such as oils but that is mostly because they are so low in nutrition for the amount of bulk and number of calories you get along with them.

That NYT article didn't detail the conclusion in the book about how much fat we should be eating (if that conclusion is made) so I don't know what they consider to be a low-fat diet. I wonder if the book's author would object to the WHO recommendations (pdf - page 56. Percent values are percentage of total calories):
    • Total fat - 15 to 30%
      • Saturated fatty acids - <10%
      • Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) - 6 to 10%
        • Omega-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) - 5 to 8%
        • Omega-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) - 1 to 2%
      • Trans fatty acids - <1%
      • Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) - By difference
    • Total carbohydrate - 55 to 75%
      • Free sugars - <10%
    • Protein - 10 to 15%
    • Cholesterol - <300 mg per day
    • Sodium chloride (sodium) - <5 g per day
    • Fruits and vegetables - 5400 g per day
    • Total dietary fibre - From foods
    • Non-starch polysaccharides (NSP) - From foods
    I wouldn't call 15 to 30% of one's calories from fat a low fat diet. :)
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-the-new-york-times-diet-and-fat.html
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    YES! I got The China Study today! Thanks so much, Smug gurus! I've already read chapter 1 and I'm heading to bed earlier than usual so I can keep reading. thumb.gif

Wow! Thanks SmugMug! I just recieved my copy of The China Study also!
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif And the follow-up comment.

re: the follow up comment. Read The China Study, if you haven't already.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 15, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

The New York Times ran quite a piece on this book last month and I did my level best to understand it. But I just couldn't gr0k it.

I had the same problem with the second article. The opening example, that Koop was wrong about ice cream... Was he really? It is filled with the worst form of saturated fat & refined sugar. It's low in nutrition, packed with calories, absent of fiber. And every study I'm aware of implicates it in heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis and diabetes. Why pick that as your opening example?

On the other hand, there do seem to be plenty of high-fat foods that are healthy, such as walnuts.

I'm not sure what point Taube is trying to make. He doesn't seem to have done any original research, he has no patients...does he cite some data in the book he doesn't site in these articles?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    Dear Abby :

This morning i cooked up a huge pan of bacon/eggs & french toast & then proceeded to empty the contents of the small bottle of Maple Syrup i bought at the gift shop in Alberta 2 weeks ago.

The rush was much quicker than expected. Having never eaten it before i dont know if that is how one is supposed to eat it but i am now 100% thoroughly addicted to Maple Syrup.

What should i do ?
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    The New York Times ran quite a piece on this book last month and I did my level best to understand it. But I just couldn't gr0k it.

I had the same problem with the second article. The opening example, that Koop was wrong about ice cream... Was he really? It is filled with the worst form of saturated fat & refined sugar. It's low in nutrition, packed with calories, absent of fiber. And every study I'm aware of implicates it in heart disease, cancer, osteoporosis and diabetes. Why pick that as your opening example?

On the other hand, there do seem to be plenty of high-fat foods that are healthy, such as walnuts.

I'm not sure what point Taube is trying to make. He doesn't seem to have done any original research, he has no patients...does he cite some data in the book he doesn't site in these articles?

Thanks for the link.

In answer to your question, I dunno.

This is the stuff that caught my eye. No idea if he's cherry-picking and leaving out important qualifiers. ne_nau.gif No idea if he's even ethical. He may just be another guy trying to make a buck on a best-seller about food, they're thick on the ground.
    These researchers point out that there are plenty of reasons to suggest that the low-fat-is-good-health hypothesis has now effectively failed the test of time.

I find the "cascade" concept interesting, applicable as it is to other issues of the day. Other than that, I'm amused by the debate over a seemingly settled issue. Again, because of its resemblance to another topic.
    Sid.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited October 16, 2007
    These researchers point out that there are plenty of reasons to suggest that the low-fat-is-good-health hypothesis has now effectively failed the test of time.
    I believe there is a some powerful goodness in the Atkins diet, which is that it eliminates junk carbs--cookies, pastries, candy, soda, white bread, etc. I don't think there's any controversy about them being low in nutrition, high in calories and strongly linked to the big three chronic diseases.

If what Taube is saying is people who once thought those foods were good is wrong, he certainly has overwhelming evidence on his side.

But if he's saying the low-fat diets Dean Ornish and Caldwell Esselstyn prescribe didn't stand the test of time, he's got some of medicine's most persuasive data against him. I'm not aware of anyone who has debunked the results Ornish and Esselstyn get from putting critically ill heart patients on low-fat, whole-plant diets that reverse their heart disease and diabetes.

I didn't undersand why he took on Dr. Koop and ice cream. Is there some argument that it's healthy?
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    The loon from www.junkscience.com (and thusly fox news rolleyes1.gif) picked this story up too. Apparently one of the top ten junk science moments of 2006 is that ice cream is actually good for you.

ne_nau.gif

• Options
    KlayKlay Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2007
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    New recipe up! http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3166906 clap.gif
    191622076-S.jpg
    I posted it exactly as I received it from my brother, Ben, with the one exception of using brown rice instead of white basmati rice (and I adjusted the cooking time accordingly).

I'm sure it's delicious as written, but I made some modifications based on what I had on hand, and the fact that I have a history of burning rice on the stove. So, just FYI... the following also work:

Instead of the 2 red bell peppers, I used a bag of Trader Joe's three-pepper blend. It's in the frozen aisle and has 1 lb. of red, yellow, orange, and green peppers all chopped up and ready to use. I just tossed a bag of that in the Vitamix.

I don't use taco seasoning, so I threw in (approximately) 1 1/2 TBS chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tsp paprika instead.

I put rice and the blended up broth&veggies in my rice cooker and tossed in an extra 1/4 c. rice or so (for a total of 2 1/4 c. brown rice) and just pressed "start". It was done when the rice cooker told me it was done!

Also, I had some black beans already pressure cooked, so I used those instead of canned beans.

We served this up in whole wheat tortillas with guacamole and fresh chopped tomatoes. But I've been eating the leftovers just plain, and it can be its own meal for sure. Thanks, Ben! wings.gif

-Anne

Mmmmm... That sounds really good, I'm going to try it.
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Eating well, feeling great.
    So I stumbled upon this thread shortly after the shootout and after reading about all the great results many of you have written about, I was convinced to try it.

I have problems with low blood sugar and before I switched my diet was eating a high-protein diet which consisted of small meals every 3 hours. I've tried a million different diets in an attempt to find that happy equilibirum where food didn't make me feel terrible. It was a constant struggle of not having an appetite and then suddenly being famished.

Three weeks ago I finished reading Eat to Live and started on the diet he describes. I've already seen immediate results. I'm sleeping better, have more energy and I feel great. I've never eaten so many fruits and vegeatables in my life. I have had zero problems with low blood sugar and no longer have to eat every 3 hours.

So I wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and so many links to great resources.

Teresa
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    ttorres33 wrote:
    So I stumbled upon this thread shortly after the shootout and after reading about all the great results many of you have written about, I was convinced to try it.

I have problems with low blood sugar and before I switched my diet was eating a high-protein diet which consisted of small meals every 3 hours. I've tried a million different diets in an attempt to find that happy equilibirum where food didn't make me feel terrible. It was a constant struggle of not having an appetite and then suddenly being famished.

Three weeks ago I finished reading Eat to Live and started on the diet he describes. I've already seen immediate results. I'm sleeping better, have more energy and I feel great. I've never eaten so many fruits and vegeatables in my life. I have had zero problems with low blood sugar and no longer have to eat every 3 hours.

So I wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared their experiences and so many links to great resources.

Teresa
    :ivar wings.gif

AWESOME keep it up
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Juvenile Diabetes research - omega 3 fatty acids may lower risk.

Sad to see them touting dietary supplements instead of real food!!!
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Dr. Fuhrman makes so much sense... If the food pyramid was written by the Center for Disease Control instead of the USDA, which has deep conflicts of interest, it would look a lot more like Fuhrman's:

173704344-O.gif

The political scandal that surrounded the most recent food pyramid from the USDA is enough to make you sick before you eat all the junk it allows.

Obviously, Fuhrman got it wrong:
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    ...yeah.. he left the pizza & ice-cream out.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    HA! Fuhrman is never wrong. Check out his latest revision to Eat to Live...

214956027-O.jpg