Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Oooo yum, that does look good! And here I am wondering what to eat tonight....
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    What time should I be over for supper? That looked great Schmoo!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    I try to use grapeseed oil when I have to use a little oil for a recipe. It's lighter and for that reason it has long been popular in France.

I like that it has a much higher smoke point than olive oil, lower saturated fat, and much higher antioxidant levels. I get it from Amazon grocery and it lasts forever.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I try to use grapeseed oil when I have to use a little oil for a recipe. It's lighter and for that reason it has long been popular in France.

I like that it has a much higher smoke point than olive oil, lower saturated fat, and much higher antioxidant levels. I get it from Amazon grocery and it lasts forever.

I knew I forgot something on the grocery list. I remember this discussion several pages back but it slipped my mind. Thanks Baldy! :D
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Cool information here. I spent way too long reading all 665 posts. I am still not sure if I can do it, but it is something to consider. A challenge for me is that I am allergic to tomatoes... I even have to watch how much I put on pasta.

I just sent out the e-mail to request a copy of the book, figure knowledge is power and I can see if it works for me.

A goal is to complete a marathon, so maybe the next thread along this idea is training tips. I looked at team in training which Knary got me started on, but work travel kind of killed that idea.

Plus for those that know me will find the humor of me making post #666
    rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    BB - of course you CAN do it, the question is: WILL you do it? mwink.gif

I don't see why your allergy should stop you - I don't eat much tomato at all. It's certainly not a requirement for Eat To Live. Give it a shot, you may find (as I have) that it's easier than you think. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Cool information here. I spent way too long reading all 665 posts.
    Great, Bradford! Your book is on its way. Congrats on the running shots I saw in your gallery.

We have another forum, Fried Quads, that has a marathon forum you might wanna check out.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Hahaha. Olive oil with zero calories...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSNvujONuQ
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hahaha. Olive oil with zero calories...

That's funny. "I don't think I like your math. I like their math better." rolleyes1.gif

Kinda disappointing that was the only thing on their site. :cry
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

Basically, we face the fact that cheesecake is not going to be healthy, no matter what we change. And, changing stuff makes it taste not-as-good so a small slice is not nearly as satisfying.
    Au contraire! First, some background. I am the opposite of most of you in this thread. I'm sedentry, and weigh nearly 300 pounds. I like food... decadent food, including cheesecake. And you know what? My partner makes a cheesecake that's just as good as the "real" thing by substitute up to 1/2 the cream cheese with medium to firm tofu, and use low-fat cream cheese for the remaining portion. I swear you won't know the difference from the normal 100% regular cream cheese variety, save for the texture which is in my opinion even nicer... you get an almost velvety texture using this method.

But I gotta say... I have been consuming this thread a bit at a time for the last few days, and today I asked my partner if he'd be willing to forgo meat for health's sake and he, to my surprise, said yes! He's drinks an outrageous amount of milk, and too much cheese too. I had to give up fish when I met him as he abhors it and in turn he gave up pork as I am not a fan of it. So all that's left for us is chicken and red meat, but we eat an aweful lot of red meat.

I'm gonna finish reading this thread over the next few days, and probably order the books (already added them to my Amazon wish list ;-) ) but I am really happy to see this "support group" like atmosphere here... will make it easier for me to make this change should I decide to do so.

Anyway, off to bed... got a volunteer photo shoot tomorrow for which I borrrowed a friends 70-200L F4 and I can't wait!

Jamie
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    BB and Jamie kudos to you for reading the whole thread! It took me about three days to get through it all but after I did it was enough to get me the momentum necessary to make the changes and I have enjoyed every step of it thus far. I hope it's the same for you. thumb.gif

For those who would be interested in keeping track of the SmugDiet cookbook, here is a link to the preview on TasteBook.com. You can browse the recipes as I add them and even click the "Preview book" at the banner above the list to see how it all comes together. Unfortunately we can't change the photos on the tabbed pages (pork loin? cheese? chocolate cake?), nor can we upload our own cover photo but it's still pretty nice to have all of our green light recipes in one place.

The preview changes as I update, so it's always up-to-date with how the book actually looks.

Please keep them coming, guys! We have up to 100 pages to fill up. clap.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    BB and Jamie kudos to you for reading the whole thread! It took me about three days to get through it all but after I did it was enough to get me the momentum necessary to make the changes and I have enjoyed every step of it thus far. I hope it's the same for you. thumb.gif

For those who would be interested in keeping track of the SmugDiet cookbook, here is a link to the preview on TasteBook.com. You can browse the recipes as I add them and even click the "Preview book" at the banner above the list to see how it all comes together. Unfortunately we can't change the photos on the tabbed pages (pork loin? cheese? chocolate cake?), nor can we upload our own cover photo but it's still pretty nice to have all of our green light recipes in one place.

The preview changes as I update, so it's always up-to-date with how the book actually looks.

wings.gif I can't wait to get my hands on the completed book! Plus, it'll make a nice gift for family or friends that want to get a start on changing their diet! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Great, Bradford! Your book is on its way. Congrats on the running shots I saw in your gallery.

We have another forum, Fried Quads, that has a marathon forum you might wanna check out.

Uh oh another forum to read to keep me from sleeping.

Thanks for the book.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    jkcashin wrote:
    Au contraire! First, some background. I am the opposite of most of you in this thread. I'm sedentry, and weigh nearly 300 pounds. I like food... decadent food, including cheesecake. And you know what? My partner makes a cheesecake that's just as good as the "real" thing by substitute up to 1/2 the cream cheese with medium to firm tofu, and use low-fat cream cheese for the remaining portion. I swear you won't know the difference from the normal 100% regular cream cheese variety, save for the texture which is in my opinion even nicer... you get an almost velvety texture using this method.

HealthIER....maybe. Healthy? No. deal.gif

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    Hey, anyone watching the Discovery series, The Truth About Food?

Mehmet Oz is a pretty good doctor who appears on Oprah but has a reputation for going very soft to keep the ratings up. On Discovery, they do a bunch of experiments on humans with showmanship to keep it entertaining and it's pretty good. :D

Last night he posed the question, "If you took humans with life-threatening blood pressure and cholesterol and put them on their ancestral diet for 12 days, what would happen?"

"To do that, we needed 12 volunteers with high blood pressure and cholesterol, a human habitat at the zoo next to the apes with signs that say 'don't feed the humans,' a surveillance team to insure they don't cheat, and a dietician to bring in their food."

They brought in 12 pounds of veggies, fruits, and nuts per person per day and let 'em eat all they could hold. :eat :eat :eat The humans shared their leftovers with the apes, who gobbled them up.

It was very funny, because they showed all the jokes they made about broccoli, running off to the bathroom in the middle of the night, etc.

After 12 days, every person's blood pressure had dropped to normal. The average cholesterol drop was 23%. eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

YouTube clip.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    I don't know how I lived without a DVR - I've got this series set to record, thanks Baldy. It's on Discovery Health by the way, not the main Discovery network for those looking for it. Too bad, because it would get more exposure on the main channel.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I don't know how I lived without a DVR - I've got this series set to record, thanks Baldy. It's on Discovery Health by the way, not the main Discovery network for those looking for it. Too bad, because it would get more exposure on the main channel.

For those who have no DVR or Discovery Health channel, you can see clips to all the shows here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/nonflash.shtml
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    For those who have no DVR or Discovery Health channel, you can see clips to all the shows here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/flashapp/nonflash.shtml

Awesome! Thanks!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    ttorres33 wrote:
    I think this is exactly what gets me in to trouble. For the first 8 weeks I only ate good stuff. I had zero refined sugar. Perhaps it's because I have blood sugar problems (or perhaps it's merely my complete lack of self-discipline), but if I eat any sugar at all, I just want to keep eating it.

When I don't eat it, I don't miss it. When I try to eat it occasionally, I want to keep eating it. So I'm back to avoiding it altogether for now. I might get to the point where having treats occasionally will work. But two months on just the good stuff wasn't long enough for me to not want to keep eating it after trying a little. :-)

Teresa

I can't eat refined or any other sugar...I am dibetic...but I keep a couple of small jars of "NOW" brand stevia powder for a replacement and I also keep at least 1 pound of dried stevia leaves for use in herbal and other teas.....I am trying to develpe a tea that drives my blood sugar down...my current concoction has dropped my BS from a severe 275 to under 80 in just a couple of hours and itstayed there...until I stumbled upon these HUUGE persimmons (or at least that is what I was told they were atthe local aisian market ....large about the size of med tomato and also a lighter red than most tomatoes) the taste was great not really sweet, sweet so I figured I was safe and had found a new fruit....WRONG!!!! my BS shot up to almost 700...but drinking my tea brought it down...now I have figure out the amount of each of the ingredients, Mushrooms, peppermint, rooibos, and stevia leaves...stevia doesn't like being cooked so i put it in my 2 gallon container and just let it steep while at work....

Also if you get a craving for sweets...a stevia leaf on the tongue will 99.9999% of the time cure it as it is as muchas 50 - 300% more sweet than sugar.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:

The downside of all these channels is someitmes you don't even know they exist. Just turned it on and learned how to calculate my BMI. Next episode is about vegetarian Martial Artists eating meat.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Mehmet Oz is a pretty good doctor who appears on Oprah but has a reputation for going very soft to keep the ratings up. On Discovery, they do a bunch of experiments on humans with showmanship to keep it entertaining and it's pretty good. :D

Last night he posed the question, "If you took humans with life-threatening blood pressure and cholesterol and put them on their ancestral diet for 12 days, what would happen?"

"To do that, we needed 12 volunteers with high blood pressure and cholesterol, a human habitat at the zoo next to the apes with signs that say 'don't feed the humans,' a surveillance team to insure they don't cheat, and a dietician to bring in their food."

They brought in 12 pounds of veggies, fruits, and nuts per person per day and let 'em eat all they could hold. :eat :eat :eat The humans shared their leftovers with the apes, who gobbled them up.

It was very funny, because they showed all the jokes they made about broccoli, running off to the bathroom in the middle of the night, etc.

After 12 days, every person's blood pressure had dropped to normal. The average cholesterol drop was 23%. eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

YouTube clip.

I saw the segment. Entertaining, but ultimately useless as far as drawing any meaningful conclusions, isn't it?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    They brought in 12 pounds of veggies, fruits, and nuts per person per day and let 'em eat all they could hold. :eat :eat :eat
    12lbs? You know, There is a great reference by the WHO concerning what you should eat called Diet, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases which you can find as PDF here. It says the following on pg 56:
    • Total fat - 15 to 30%
      • Saturated fatty acids - <10%
      • Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) - 6 to 10%
        • Omega-6 Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) - 5 to 8%
        • Omega-3 Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) - 1 to 2%
      • Trans fatty acids - <1%
      • Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) - By difference
    • Total carbohydrate - 55 to 75%
      • Free sugars - <10%
    • Protein - 10 to 15%
    • Cholesterol - <300 mg per day
    • Sodium chloride (sodium) - <5 g per day
    • Fruits and vegetables - 5400 g per day
    • Total dietary fibre - From foods
    • Non-starch polysaccharides (NSP) - From foods
    It was just until the other day that I realized that 5400 g was somewhere around 10lbs and I thought that can't be right and that they must have meant 540g. But now that I'm reading you say that they were giving them 12lbs of fruits and veggies per day I realize that, no, the WHO really does mean 5400g (which is 11.9lbs) of fruits and veg per day in those recommendations.

Wow!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    I sometimes think of how humans evolved and what they ate - like the earlier talk of us not being anatomically built as omnivores. We are designed to eat...what exactly? I am having trouble reconciling these WHO recommendations with thoughts of early humans.

Our poor early ancestors couldn't really have foraged for 12lbs of fruits and plants per person per day, could they? Seems like a tall order. Obviously (or maybe not) they were opportunistic feeders and would have eaten anything they could find but it's still hard to wrap my head around it.

Not to mention that there likely wouldn't have been the variety of foods available like what is recommended today. Think of all the different regions of the world that are represented in your meals these days - probably South America, Florida, California, and Europe at least. Early humans would have had none of this variety. How did they thrive? WOuldn't they have been missing key nutrients not found in their local food sources?

I'm probably not articulating these thoughts well (due to infant-induced sleep depravation), but maybe you see what I'm getting at?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I'll get a new blood test in a few months, but I just had to see my Dr. on an unrelated matter... and while there, he took my BP.

4/2007: 130/100
    1/2008: 120/85

clap.gif can't wait to see my blood labs in a couple months.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

ahem!!!... it sure would be .... ahem.... nice to get some more recipes in this thing....Lane....ahem!.....any MacAskills out there? :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    We successfully made a chicken dish into a tofu dish last night! I just need to rewrite the recipe and try for some pretty pics. Then should I submit it here for approval, or what?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    We successfully made a chicken dish into a tofu dish last night! I just need to rewrite the recipe and try for some pretty pics. Then should I submit it here for approval, or what?

Elaine, sounds deelish. Post it here, pleeeaze! thumb.gif

Yes, any more recipes? Bueller? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    ahem!!!... it sure would be .... ahem.... nice to get some more recipes in this thing....Lane....ahem!.....any MacAskills out there? :D
    I'm sure Anne would have been happy to help if she hadn't been pushing a kid out recently! rolleyes1.gif

More from Andy's better half would be awesome in the meantime deal.gif
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Simple Salad
    I made a very simple salad for dinner tonight that turned out to be delicious.

I boiled a pound of green beans (still crunchy), then chilled them. Mixed them with 1/2 a pound of cherry tomatoes, half a can of black olives, two green onions, red wine vinegar mixed with a very small amount of olive oil, and fresh black pepper.

I used to only use balsamic vinegars, but have been experimenting with different red and white wine vinegars and it's added a lot to simple vegetables. Also fresh ground black pepper is infinitely better than what you get out of most grocery store shakers. Invest in a grinder, so worth it.

These may be obvious to most, but I'm brand new to cooking and they've made a big difference in enhancing flavor of otherwise simple foods.

Also, Bethy's garbanzo bean grazy over potatoes was delicious. I had already eaten dinner and still wolfed down a big helping of it.

Teresa
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 8, 2008
    Hey Schmoo wave.gif How's my Pho coming lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?