Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 20, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    A fascinating article about how cancer cells thrive on simple carbohydrates and the way your body processes them.
    Wow. That's a find.

My wife went to a lecture on colon cancer tonight at El Camino Hospital. The doc who gave it said it's the #2 cause of cancer deaths, behind lung cancer. It's 95% preventable just by screening because it's slow-growing. If they find a polyp (like they did with me), you can bet that it would have formed into colon cancer given enough time.

Prevention is simple: no red meat and a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. You must avoid constipation. Do not brown (oxidize) your foods too much. Exercise.

He said, "Don't think that you can improve your diet after you get it and it will go away. It doesn't work that way."
  • Options
    starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Hey guys,

I wanted to learn a little bit more about the diet but the 100+ pages of posts are a little overwhelming. Baldy already offered me some help but I wanted to hear from some others as well. I'm just looking for a good place to start.
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    Hey guys,

I wanted to learn a little bit more about the diet but the 100+ pages of posts are a little overwhelming. Baldy already offered me some help but I wanted to hear from some others as well. I'm just looking for a good place to start.

IMO, one of the two most recommended books in this thread, Eat to Live, is the best place to start.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    IMO, one of the two most recommended books in this thread, Eat to Live, is the best place to start.
    FWIW, Eat to Live is great, but it wouldn't have been enough to convince me to totally give up meat products or to really get moving on eating a better diet. For me, The China Study really gave me the education and motivation I needed to start eating the right way.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    FWIW, Eat to Live is great, but it wouldn't have been enough to convince me to totally give up meat products or to really get moving on eating a better diet. For me, The China Study really gave me the education and motivation I needed to start eating the right way.

I agree, but the impression I got from Starky was the basic gist of how to eat on this diet. I prefer the China Study for the research/info but Fuhrman is much more straightforward about what/how/when to consume.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    It's a good time to be a vegetarian and vegan these days.

I was watching Earthling the other day and ... it makes me glad that I am a vegetarian turning into vegan. It's hard, though, to not have the craving for cheese and ice cream and lattes and etc.

It's definitely something you don't want to watch while eating dinner. I .. kinda made that mistake.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Cut an onion without crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1FfZiiK-I4
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    That sounds good, but that guy doesn't understand the dynamics of an onion. Not to mention the amount of food waste that's involved w/ that silly process. On top of that, he's cutting towards his hand. Total rook.

I got my first BA in Culinary Arts at CIA in NYC, so I've cut more onions than most..
    Don't do anything w/ the onion until you've completed this first step. Or it's a waste of time.

If you want to cut an onion w/ minimal tears. Just grab a wad of bread (any kind) and squish it up in your cheek (outside of your teeth) and leave it there.

Then cut the onion.

That simple.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    That sounds good, but that guy doesn't understand the dynamics of an onion. Not to mention the amount of food waste that's involved w/ that silly process. Not to mention he's cutting towards his hand. Total rook.

I got my first BA in Cullinary Arts at CIA in NYC, so I've cut more onions than most..
    Don't do anything w/ the onion until you've completed this first step. Or it's a waste of time.

If you want to cut an onion w/ minimal tears. Just grab a wad of bread (any kind) and squish it up in your cheek (outside of your teeth) and leave it there.

Then cut the onion.

That simple.

squish, as in chewed and gloppy?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    Nah, not that gross :D

Just wad a piece of bread that's big enough to puff out your cheek a bit and press it in your cheek pouch. It will squish a bit, but not to the point of gloppy thumb.gif

You want the bread to still hold it's air pockets (like insulation). This somehow magically traps the badness of onions.

I recommend spitting it out afterwards though. If you breathe through you mouth, the bread will be pretty "oniony" tasting.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 20, 2008
    starky987 wrote:
    Hey guys,

Hey Starky,

I sent you a copy of The China Study and it will be there tomorrow. Don't worry about the money, I'm not the slightest bit concerned. I only want the satisfaction of knowing I did some good in the world today.

The China Study is the why and ETL is the how, in my view. I always make a guess, "Can they handle the strong medicine of The China Study?" If my guess is yes, I send it first. Since you are a student, I guessed yes.

It has some charts and data which made my wife's eye's glaze some, but most people who like data love the book.
  • Options
    starky987starky987 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Hey Baldy,

you're absolutely right about the data and charts, especially since I'm a finance student. I really appreciate you sending me the book, I cant wait to read it. Take care
    Starky
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cut an onion without crying.

Everyone knows you need to wear your onion goggles. deal.giflol3.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Everyone knows you need to wear your onion goggles. deal.giflol3.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I stand corrected..rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the laugh!:D
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I stand corrected..rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks for the laugh!:D

I've been hanging onto that one for the right day. :D

I guess an onion in the vitamix is out? :cry 11doh.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

I flipped through this book at Coscto the other day. It is interesting, but I doubt it will lead to healthier eating, maybe a slight increase, but not much. I would probably find it useful for when I am on the road and my dining choices are limited. It is best at pointing out how unhealthy most food is.

Worst Airport Snack: Cinnabon Classic Cinnamon Roll. Packed with 813 hot gooey calories and 5 grams of trans fats.

Say it isn't so. :cry I have not had one in a while, but I have enjoyed a Cinnabon now and again. :cry
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    This clip from Forecast Earth was forwarded to me. It shows an Atlanta restaurant serving raw vegan foods, the full episode goes into food miles, etc, plus there is a bonus shot of a vita-mix in use. Their food looks good. I hope to get down there soon. :eat
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    I actually saw those at Sur la Table the other weekend and almost picked them up as a joke! I didn't know who I'd be buying them for, though. headscratch.gif

Jon, thanks for the bread tip! I think I've heard that somewhere but it totally slipped my mind. CIA, huh? That was my dream school. I mean, if I hadn't already had a background in biology.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    CIA, huh? That was my dream school. I mean, if I hadn't already had a background in biology.
    It's a great experience, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you talk to a full time chef (not cook) and find out what being a chef is really about.

I was averaging 90-100 hours a week when I was 21 (count on an average of 70 hour weeks minimum when you make it to a decent restaurant and are lead sous or exec) Sure I had bank, but my friends stopped calling and I lost out on allot of good times since I was always working or sleeping.

The food industry isn't all brie and bubbly. deal.gif

Penn state was much better for my career :D
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Sweet Potato 'Fries':

On a whim yesterday I bought a big bag of precut sweet potato spears. The recipe on the bag is as follows:
    3c spears
    1/2 t red pepper flakes (I added more)
    1t chili powder
    1 t salt ( I left it out)
    2T olive oil (I used less)
    1T lime juice
    1 clove minced garlic
    1/4t cayenne (I used a garlic/roasted pepper rub instead)
    1T spicy brown pepper(I used grainy dijon)
    1/4 t ground black pepper

Bake at 400F for 20 minutes, turn and bake an additional 10.

YUM! Served alongside Stirfry's bean burgers.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Coconut Curry Vegetables
    Made this Coconut Curry Vegetables recipe tonight and served it over brown rice. Really, really good and looks attractive enough to serve for guests too. The family said, "Put this one in the file and make it again". Sorry I forgot to take a picture before we ate it all.

Onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, broccoli, sugar peas with a coconut curry sauce served over brown rice.

For those of you in the SF Bay Area, this is supposedly the exact recipe that the PF Chang restaurant serves.

One thing that I liked about this recipe is that you can get everything all ready like chopping and even blanching the broccoli and sugar peas ahead of time and then do all the final stir-fry cooking in about 10 minutes. It works great when you aren't sure of the timing of people getting home, but when they do get home they're really hungry.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Thanks for the travel tips guys. I also missed the one I just thought of, is hey I am going to be in this area... anyone got any suggestions for food places?

On two slight tangents;

1) Did you know that today was "Forego Meat Day" I heard about it on the Bryant Park Project. Kind of interesting. If you want to hear the flip side to it, they also have a podcast about Eating Meat.

2) So while talking with the L&T Wife tonight about eating better, we realized that we have been feeding our dogs better than us. Our dogs, currently just dog, have been fed BARF - Biologically Appropriatte Raw Food. But we never thought to apply the same logic to us. So anyone else doing that for their pets?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    2) So while talking with the L&T Wife tonight about eating better, we realized that we have been feeding our dogs better than us. Our dogs, currently just dog, have been fed BARF - Biologically Appropriatte Raw Food. But we never thought to apply the same logic to us. So anyone else doing that for their pets?
    I've actually been very uneasy about the food we've been giving our little one but I'd never heard of BARF. I have to say that the acronym isn't selling it to me. lol3.gif

So this is one (very good) option. Are there many others? I'd love to hear about them while I do my own research.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Made this Coconut Curry Vegetables recipe tonight and served it over brown rice.
    Hmm... "1 1/2 packed brown sugar" headscratch.gif

Did you just skip that bit?

-Anne
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

-Anne

Yeah. 1 1/2 what? Probably tsp? given the proportions?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    I'd agree w/ tsp. Anything else would throw the taste off whack.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    So no late night healthy eating suggestions out there from all you health freaks?ne_nau.gif
    I know Google is my friend, but I wanted to ask in here first for any tried and true solutions.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    So no late night healthy eating suggestions out there from all you health freaks?ne_nau.gif
    I know Google is my friend, but I wanted to ask in here first for any tried and true solutions.

I would eat anything on the Eat To Live list.

Unprocessed.
    Unrefined.
    Plant based.

That means no salt, sugar, oil, white flour, white rice, etc..

Whole fruits, vegetables, beans and grains that you eat raw or cook yourself.

Enjoy! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:

-Anne

I went with 1-1/2 teaspoons. You could leave it out entirely and the curry sauce just wouldn't be quite as sweet. I thought it was sweeter than we needed so I'd probably go half next time.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question