Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Trying again...
    My last idea was soundly trounced. Good riddance. Here's my next biz card idea. Obviously I'm going for minimalism that will display some photography. I'm married to a military girl so my contact info will be sparse. Only my email won't be changing. But I'll have plenty of area on the back of the card to write down my phone number.

So, what about this one?

85137851-L.jpg

back:
    85139628-L.jpg
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Mike - I like the card. I've actually been playing around with a similar idea for my card. A nice photo that naturally has some empty space in it for contact information/logo/etc.

It's not a bad idea to "art direct" a photo purposely for your business card. I'll post mine when it's ready - but I basically included white space at the bottom of the photo for the text.

Your photo works well for this approach.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    cool card
    coldclimb wrote:
    This is a cool thread. I put a layout together a few months back that would fit with many of my photos, so here's one that seemed to work well.

NOw this is a cool card, the best I have seen. I have to copy it
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    My last idea was soundly trounced. Good riddance. Here's my next biz card idea. Obviously I'm going for minimalism that will display some photography. I'm married to a military girl so my contact info will be sparse. Only my email won't be changing. But I'll have plenty of area on the back of the card to write down my phone number.

So, what about this one?

back:

Now your talking mike...show what youve got.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Front
    381145.jpg

Back
    381146.jpg
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    UNCTEPUNCTEP Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Here's mine - just received from *cough* overnight prints *cough*
    I think they turned out pretty nice.

Front:

cardresize.jpg

Back:

cardback3resize.jpg
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 18, 2006
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    85137851-L.jpg

Much better!!!!! thumb.gif (although I'm not fond of double-sided cards)
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Mine,

the philosophy is that the cards needs to be fairly simple because these will be used as event cards as well (so I'll hopefully give out a lot of them). The Event Id will either tie into a PHP script that takes my event number and matches it to the event ID on swmugmug or perhaps I'll just use that number - not sure yet.

These cards haven't been full refined yet - but they are the direction I am thinking about anyways =) .. C&C please.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    fotodojo wrote:
    Mine,

the philosophy is that the cards needs to be fairly simple because these will be used as event cards as well (so I'll hopefully give out a lot of them). The Event Id will either tie into a PHP script that takes my event number and matches it to the event ID on swmugmug or perhaps I'll just use that number - not sure yet.

These cards haven't been full refined yet - but they are the direction I am thinking about anyways =) .. C&C please.

Nice! Eye-catching and memorable. Fun. Took me a minute to figure out that the sword was a sword, I think because in the one it's coming right out of the corner of the head. Or maybe I'm just slow...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice! Eye-catching and memorable. Fun. Took me a minute to figure out that the sword was a sword, I think because in the one it's coming right out of the corner of the head. Or maybe I'm just slow...

Yeah you're right - the illustration one should have the sword moved to a better angle - nice catch =) !. I'v been staring at these for a while now so I totally missed that.
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    First Business Card
    Well, here are the first attempts. My site concentrates on panoramas both horizontal and vertical, primarily mountain landscapes.
    cardchoice.jpg

Dale B. Dalrymple
    www.dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Those are possibly the most creative BC's that I've seen...
    fotodojo wrote:
    Mine,

Great work...thumb.gif
    By Grace, alone...
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    One of my musician clients had me use one of the images from our photo session to create his business card.. he went for the mysterious half/shadowed look... the backside has all his information.
    90064498-S.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    fotodojo wrote:
    Mine,

excellent!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pixappealpixappeal Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    finally got around to it...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=8785&stc=1&d=1130534051

Would someone be interested in walking me through how to create a card similar to this one (vertical). I have PSCS2, as well as Illustrator, buyt I'm afraid that my knowledge is very limited.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
    Mike Adrover :photo

www.pixappeal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    pixappeal wrote:

Would someone be interested in walking me through how to create a card similar to this one (vertical). I have PSCS2, as well as Illustrator, buyt I'm afraid that my knowledge is very limited.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Mike, If you mean a VERTICAL business card template??? I use Vistaprint.com and they give you a template for vertical or horizontal business cards. Just pull it up in PS and add photos and text. The template is actually just a guide to show you where the cards are cut and the 'safe' margins when printed. I have been very happy with vista print.. and they are always offering discounts and sales.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    Diane S wrote:
    Mike, If you mean a VERTICAL business card template??? I use Vistaprint.com and they give you a template for vertical or horizontal business cards. Just pull it up in PS and add photos and text. The template is actually just a guide to show you where the cards are cut and the 'safe' margins when printed. I have been very happy with vista print.. and they are always offering discounts and sales.
    Diane,

That is precisely what I want to do; however, I'm having a difficult time placing the pictures on the template itself. I can't seem to resize them in PS and it's really frustrating. Can you help with that?

By the way, I took a peek at your site and have to say that I love your work!!!

Mike

• Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    pixappeal wrote:
    Diane,

That is precisely what I want to do; however, I'm having a difficult time placing the pictures on the template itself. I can't seem to resize them in PS and it's really frustrating. Can you help with that?

By the way, I took a peek at your site and have to say that I love your work!!!

Mike

Sure Mike.. I'd be glad to help.. probably best to email me for help and directions and we can try out a vertical layout with your pics.
    diane@dianeschaferphotography.com

Diane
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    pixappeal wrote:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=8785&stc=1&d=1130534051

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Mike:

I'm flattered you like my card enough to single it out. I would never attempt to recreate a card in PS or other photo program. You should use a layout program such as Illustrator or CorelDraw (as I did). I'm happy to assist you if you'd like.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    Angelo,

I like the card because of it's simplicity and overall 'clean' look- nice work!

I have illustrator, but I have never used it...if you think you have the patience to walk me through it I would love the help!

Thanks,

• Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    pixappeal wrote:
    Angelo,

I have illustrator, but I have never used it...if you think you have the patience to walk me through it I would love the help!

Thanks,

Sorry Mike, as I stated above, I use CorelDraw. I know nothing about using AI
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2006
    pixappeal wrote:
    Angelo,

Thanks,

I use Illustrator a bit - albeit on Mac, so the below is a sample "mac" workflow.

Pre-creation steps

a. Start by getting the correct document sizes together - depending how you print your card you will need to take into account things like Bleed sizes as well as what colour space you need to submit the file (usually CMYK) - it might also gbe a good idea to check what file format your printers accept (do they take .ai files directly or do you need to pdf it etc).

b. collect the photos you'd like to use into a folder, process them to your liking in your imaging app (photoshop, paintshop, aperture, etc )

The basic steps for the creation are are:

0. Save & save often (keep a few versions as well) =).

1. create a blank document custom sized x inches wide and y inches tall (usually in CMYK)

2. file->place your images and size them how you want. You should always be able to size the images by clicking on them and dragging the "edge boxes" (hold down the shift key to do a proportional size)

3. Align/Distribute the pictures to be equi-spaced and properly center aligned on your card. Get familiar with the align tool - it's your friend. You'll find it in the window->align menu (or on a mac you can press shift-F7).

a) Using the type tool lay down the text you want to appear on the card - don't worry too much about the formatting yet.

b) Apply consistent formatting to your text. Illustrator doesn't have styles unfortunately but if you limit yourself to only use a few styles you should have no trouble remembering the settings (font/size/alignment)

c) This is optional but you can group elements together when you're happy with their relative positions. Using the Object->Group and conversely the Object->Ungroup menus. Remember the align command ? - It works on text as well =).

5. Shift things around until you're happy with them.Using the pointer tool

6. This is important if your handing your printer the file as an illustrator format - make sure you either hand him any fonts you used OR convert the typing to outlines (in the type menu). Otherwise he'll end up printing your card with subsituted fonts which can be (make that "will be" ugly.

7. Depending on what your printer told you he'd accept you can now move to either "print to PDF" or save the illustrator files (why print to pdf and not save as PDF ? - print to pdf allows you to specify "bleed" & include fonts which "save as pdf" doesn't seem to. The bad news is that means you need to have Adobe Acrobat Professional/Standard (?) installed, which isn't free.

How this helps. If you need me to go into more detail for a specific step just yell (loudly, I am in Australia =))
  • Options
    cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    91583399-L.jpg

If anyone needs help also, I can assist with designs. My stuff is usually pretty saturated though, so if you're not a fan of bright & colorful, you may not like what I can do for you. Msg me if you want help.
    SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
    Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Here is mine. Feedback wanted.

Front

92553583-M.jpg

Back
    92553592-M.jpg
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Back
    92553592-S.jpg
    I like the front a lot. But the font that you used for Weddings Events Portraits Art ruins the whole thing for me.

• Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    92611345-M.jpg

Mike how about that?

I took out portraits because the more I thought about it, I don't really want to target that.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    bham wrote:
    92611345-M.jpg

Mike how about that?

I took out portraits because the more I thought about it, I don't really want to target that.
    It's not that you need to use the same font as the rest of your card necessarily, but that looks better to my eye (which has - as you've seen in this thread) led me astray before :uhoh

• Options
    edited September 3, 2006
    No I think your right. My goal was to set that part of initially from the numbers, etc. I originally had the other font, and it needed something else. I reversed added the box and change the font color and liked it and didn't initally think to change the font.

I think having the font consistent is good. I had tried many and they were either hard to read some letters or somewhat similar to what was I was using for the number and website.
  • Options
    mikeshotsmikeshots Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    I just started shooting motocross practices and races a few weeks ago. I wanted a nice, simple card with my web address and contact info. I'm sure I'll redesign this a few dozen times, but it's a start.