Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    I scanned mine because the program that I used to make mine(before I knew the ins and outs of PS CS) does not do conversion to .jpg it will only save the file in its own format. So I just did a quick scan to share what it looked like. I plan to redo the card in PS CS soon though.

Tim
    You could try the print screen button to copy the window, then go into ps, create a new document and paste.

Someone mentioned about not wanting to have 2 cards. One one side could be business A, and on the other side business B. You wont have any white space to write a note but you would reduce the number of different cards.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    I sleep with the manager of a printing company & a good mate of mine is a computer magazine art designer thing-a-me-jig

It makes for cheap quotes ...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Woah... back it up, those clouds were 'made' with the plug-in: Aurora... what the? *heads to google to do some research*

The only Aurora I've had contact with flies using plasma and some help from my friends thanks to a little reverse-engineering.

Lynne, is your plugin for Photoshop:
    http://photoshop.pluginsworld.com/plugin.php?editor=adobe&software=photoshop&plugin=220
    ?

Yep, Digital Elements. I'm not very accomplished at using it. Here's the first version, used for a slide header without the opacity tweaked.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Beautiful card, really good.
    lynnesite wrote:
    Yep, Digital Elements. I'm not very accomplished at using it. Here's the first version, used for a slide header without the opacity tweaked.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited April 25, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I sleep with the manager of a printing company & a good mate of mine is a computer magazine art designer thing-a-me-jig

It makes for cheap quotes ...ne_nau.gif
    TMI there Gus...but if you were to take orders while here in the states for
    delivery later, wouldn't that make Yosemite a business trip :):

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Here is mine, slightly cropped, but you get the idea. I got mine printed at Vista prints. They even print magnets.
    3502740-M-2.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    TMI there Gus...but if you were to take orders while here in the states for
    delivery later, wouldn't that make Yosemite a business trip :):

Ian
    Mate everything has now changed to 'performance based'....im buying a prog to do 'em myself next time.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    I have all my b-cards online now.

A business card I use for kart races (printed as a 4x6 glossy at CostCo):
    18839222-S.jpg

A business card I use for motocross races (again, 4x6 glossy):
    18839505-S.jpg

And my generic business card (normal sized):
    20543888-S.jpg
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Seriously...did you expect something normal ?
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    still working on it... it'll have this included :D
    logo1024.jpg
    Digital-eye being a bit smaller and more of my personal data :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I'm still unclear with regard to what your having trouble with. Is it the key strokes in PS to put all this together or the creativity to get that wow factor?

Creativity needs to come from within, the key stokes I can help you with.

Sam
    Thats the problem, I'm not sure what I want it to look like, if I want a picture or not. I'm just stuck
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2005
    Thats the problem, I'm not sure what I want it to look like, if I want a picture or not. I'm just stuck
    The only advice I can offer is to start looking at all the photography web sites, phone book adds, and magazines you can lay your hands on.

Don't wait for a stroke of lightning to hit. Start with what you know needs to be on the card. IE: name, phone, e-mail. web site, ect. size the card in PS. start typing, choose the font, size, think color. play with it. When you get tired, stop save what you have and try again tomorrow. Nobody I ever knew printed up the first try of thier business card.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    20554952-S.jpg

'Gus yours has me thinking you've spent too much time listening to the Crumpler song. rolleyes1.gif

Bill, great work, really sells what you do. Uh, Shay, so does yours. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    photoshow wrote:
    Here is mine

Front
    20462099-S.jpg
    Someday I will have a real graphic designer do them. Design really is not one of my strong points

Very vivid, I like the front/why do you need a back?

(oughta spell portrait right on the front, though!)
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    This is a cool thread. I put a layout together a few months back that would fit with many of my photos, so here's one that seemed to work well.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited October 28, 2005
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    And I still haven't finished the site.

30235989-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Wow!
    That's all I can say after viewing these great cards. After looking at your cards my orginal one started looking prety sad, so, with your modivation, I set out to improve on it.

Remember I don't have a business, so it's just an informal contact card.

Critiques welcome. :D

Thanks,

Sam
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Man..some nice cards! Do you all actually print those? eek7.gif

Here's mine..simple like me. rolleyes1.gif:D

jbrcard.jpg
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    It's clear that most, if not all, the cards discussed in this thread have been designed by amateurs. It's also clear that many of the cards are the products of well-intentioned folk with not the slightest knowledge or skill in the area of graphic design.

There's one design above which might best be described, with my tongue firmly in my cheek, as 'chaotic' (no offence intended), and when you go to the related web site, the same graphic design offences are repeated there! IMHO good graphic design is not assisted by having a multiplicity of colours (particularly garish ones), fonts for Africa, and uncoordinated and unnecessary design elements flung across the card, web page, or whatever.

I liken this situation to the reality of most camera owners having no concept nor intuitive understanding of what constitutes good image composition, and thus being totally incapable of creating any picture with any endearing quality whatsoever. We see more than our share of dog and child shots posted on this site which come into this category, accompanied by a plaintive plea to 'please give me some feedback'.

I'm not in business as a photographer nor do I buy services from photographers, but I ask myself regularly why I would want to deal on a commercial basis with any of the full- or part-time commercial photographers on Smugmug whose business card and/or web site looks like an unmade bed. Yuk! I'd prefer to deal with someone whose business image is professional and well organised - wouldn't you?

Flash or Dreamweaver can no more 'design' a web site, nor Photoshop 'design' a business card, than Photoshop can 'make' a good photograph if the underlying design or image doesn't already exist.

If you can't look yourself in the mirror and convince yourself you understand the principles of graphic design, then I highly recommend 'The Non-Designer's Design Book' by Robin Williams before you start to design your card or web site (or even customise a Smugmug site, for that matter). This book is succinct, and easy to understand and remember.

I do like the design idea which Angelo has been pursuing for his card. It's clean, crisp and professional. Design is, of course, always in the eye of the beholder, but I think Angelo's design might be further improved by selecting some stronger images which will reproduce better in such small sizes (a bit like designing a postage stamp - some images don't translate well to very small sizes). The colour and size of the bird, for example, just aren't suitable, and the overall colours of all three of the left-most images are too much the same.

I've also raised the suggestion previously of moving the block of text containing the contact details so as to simplify and strengthen the overall design, as attached below. And if there were only three photos, not four, the left margin of the text could be aligned to the left edge of the right-most photo to strengthen the design even more.

Angelo, I hope this is helpful as you finalise your design.

41943695-M.jpg
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Ah gee, what's the matter?
    Tired of seeing the same old, same old, cliché fonts?

Were you around when desktop publishing tried to take over graphic design?

And now with digital cameras ANYONE can be a photographer AND a designer? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Do you know that most excellent illustrators make lousy designers?

I am a professional designer. I'm not so sure I'd be brave enough to post my non-existent business card (on my list of things to do) here for you to look at :D

It's easy to be critical isn't it? :):

Have you ever looked at what passes for business card design and logo design these days? Just do a search on the web for "business cards" and I'll probably feel your shudder all across the ocean rolleyes1.gif

And with all these "make your own website" programs around web design is now feeling the pain that graphic designers felt when desktop publishing encouraged anyone with an interest in art to become a self publisher.

I suspect in a lot of cases, most photographers just want something to hand out, something they can change easily themselves, and they don't want to pay a designer $500 to design a card and another $500 to design a logo -- much less pay $1000 for a good offset printer to print their full color cards on industry standard business card stock. They'd rather buy some glass!

Probably a lot of photographers are too busy trying to perfect their skills, they don't want to have to study design also.

And -- have you seen what's coming out of some of these design schools?

Everyone designing the same way, with the same "designer" fonts and hopping on the latest design fad and color fad?

Sometimes I think photography is headed the same way. Everybody now, let's do IR (because we can) and selective color (because it's in)! My little rant -- oh yes, and make sure it's Black & White -- it's the new color.

:): :): :): :): :):
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    oh yes, and make sure it's Black & White -- it's the new color.

Right on, Dee! lol3.gif Y'know what's funny? I've had to re-order cards like four times since first designing my card - I hand it to folks, and they ask for a few extras :D
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Look at my doggie picture and let know what you think! OK! Please! Pretty Please!

19481370-M.jpg

First off, if your going to say it, say it. I have no problem with straight on hard criticism, but I do, and always have, hate the "no offence" tag. If you know your comments might offend and you don't want to, then don't say them. If you don't care, and trust me, I wasn't offended, say them without the tag. Own up to what you speak without having an escape route.

I definately am not a graphic artist, but that doesn't mean I don't know art, composition, and theory.

I will be changing how my site works, but like you said, dreamweaver won't do squat in building a site unless you know what you're doing in the first place. That's the issue. I will know, someday, but with work taking up 50+ hours a week, and wanting to have somewhat of a life, it's a long process.

The garish colors are on purpose. Yes, I said on purpose. I wanted to assualt the eyes. I wanted the eyes to see my card anywhere, on a bullentin board, on the ground, on a bar, anywhere and have it stick out like a sore thumb. I wanted the reaction of what the f%$K is that and have them look at it out of curosity just like rubber necking at a gory car wreck. When you hit my site I want it to jump at you. I want it to draw attention. People remember Khaos. They remmber pretty lines and great complimenting colors and beautiful professional looking sites, but too often forget the name. It will chnage and I want it more like an unmade bed. But I'll have the person not annoyed, but more wondering, who slept there and what did they do. I'll have them looking for clues and finding things.

In case you haven't guessed, I don't want the make my wedding day perfect crowd. I want the make my shots of what I want look different. And currently I'm working towards setting galleries for that. Something different, but until then, I'll show the generic stuff.

Now that I explained my crap, I'll comment on your site. To me it's boring. Not one thing when I see that page says, hey, look, this might show you something exciting, different or just damn good.

I agree professionals looking to be professional for professional work in the public should have a well designed, simple but elegant site, but not everybody is selling vanilla, some of us are gooing with the upside down tequila shot with a boiler maker chaser.

If you think my stuff looks non-professional now, wait until I learn more. It will probably make your eyes bleed. Which will mean I succeeded in my goal.

Hearing someone thinks my stuff is shit is fine. However, many aren't ready for that because THEY ARE AMATEURS. You come off as I'm really good at this and you guys suck so bad it's pitiful. That would be fine if everyone was actually asking for it. It would also be fine if they were paying you to teach them. They'll take the I know more than you approach as long as you show them what you know. So, can you teach, or do you just make someone buy a book, take a test, and move on to the next person who knopws less than you?
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    I am going to mostly agree with you on your points. And I especially like your edit to Angelos card. It makes it stronger and bolder.

I do like the design idea which Angelo has been pursuing for his card. It's clean, crisp and professional. Design is, of course, always in the eye of the beholder, but I think Angelo's design might be further improved by selecting some stronger images which will reproduce better in such small sizes (a bit like designing a postage stamp - some images don't translate well to very small sizes). The colour and size of the bird, for example, just aren't suitable, and the overall colours of all three of the left-most images are too much the same.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    You know what ? I used to hire a lot of contractors to pump/clear sewage. Yep ...pull all those things out that everyone & their kids throw down there.

There was one old guy that i got from the last page of the local rag one day because my usual contractors couldnt get to the job in time. I ended up using him almost always for the next 3 years & when i left i made sure the new chap knew whom to contact.

I could ring & get him on site at 3am sunday morning...i could ring him 4pm fri afternoon when he was having a beer at the pub. I could ring him in the middle of a bloody thunder storm & he would always help me out.

I always liked to see other peoples faces when they asked for his biz card & he would pull a bit of the silver paper from a cigarette packet & write his name & number on the white paper stuck on the back of it & hand it to them.

Give me him anyday over the half page yellow pages advert with the 20 plumbers on call 24 hours. Im amazed that some people really think that just because you paid some money for some flashy print job that the person that turns up for the job or is on the phone is somehow better or more worthy of a 1st contact than the person that did it on a budget ?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    & write his number on the back of it & hand it to them.

Very cool, 'Gus. Do you notice a phone number on my card? :nah I always write my number on the back - Why? Becuase it allows me to have a moment or two more interaction with the person I'm giving my card to.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Wow! I'll tell you what's in the eye of the beholder, it's EGO!!!

How dare you presume to preach professionalism and impose your self-righteous opinions on others. And to do so publicly is simply abysmal.

I'm not interested in debating detail points with you on good or appropriate design but know this... I just happen to be the creative director for a multi-million dollar corporation with many a design industry award under my belt.

I also sit on the boards of three design schools in California.

dGrin is for the most part a forum of amateurs and is a very relaxed medium for sharing ideas. I am not going to make apologies but if I knew you were going to take a position so overheated with ego and opinion I would not have posted such an early draft of the card.

No one wants and certainly doesn't deserve to be hung out to dry by anyone with an attitude like yours.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    That's all I can say after viewing these great cards. After looking at your cards my orginal one started looking prety sad, so, with your modivation, I set out to improve on it.

Remember I don't have a business, so it's just an informal contact card.

Critiques welcome. :D

Thanks,

Sam
    Sam I love the two photos you chose. I have some suggestions about your use of fonts and balance but in the current air in the forum I refrain from stating them here. I'm happy to assist privately if you wish.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    20554952-S.jpg
    Gus, I like this a lot.
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    I highly recommend 'The Non-Designer's Design Book' by Robin Williams before you start to design your card or web site (or even customise a Smugmug site, for that matter). This book is succinct, and easy to understand and remember.
    Give a man a meal and he eats for a day, teach the man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.

man... i'm glad I didn't come to you when I was hungry... I would have had to read a book titled "Feed Yourself for Dummies"
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex