Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    re
    Wow! Awesome cards all...

Just a quick thought... Whats your opinion on web sites.. i was reading this thread and someone said your site shouldnt be so plain (ie..smug mug site) to be proffessional. I was reading the 2006 Photographers handbook and they state in it that your site SHOULD be a bit on the plain side... no confusing links to chase, no flash animation or less animation... nothing to make searching the site confusing or long.. huge files take longer to download and too much animation takes time to load too and ..god forbid, a potential client has to download the latest video player or flash player to view your site, you most likly have just lost a sale.

just a thought..

so, would you say your card should also be more plain that busy with pictures and fancy fonts that make it harder to read? not trying to "step on toes" here..just wondering what the general concenses might be.
    -zacker-
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    zacker wrote:

Just a quick thought... Whats your opinion on web sites.. i was reading this thread and someone said your site shouldnt be so plain (ie..smug mug site) to be proffessional. I was reading the 2006 Photographers handbook and they state in it that your site SHOULD be a bit on the plain side... no confusing links to chase, no flash animation or less animation... nothing to make searching the site confusing or long.. huge files take longer to download and too much animation takes time to load too and ..god forbid, a potential client has to download the latest video player or flash player to view your site, you most likly have just lost a sale.

just a thought..

so, would you say your card should also be more plain that busy with pictures and fancy fonts that make it harder to read? not trying to "step on toes" here..just wondering what the general concenses might be.
    -zacker-
    Works for me. All the points you mention are valid. Fancy sites are selling the site, not the photos.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2006
    zacker wrote:

just a thought..

-zacker-
    Something to think about also is....If you have a real fancy flash or video oriented site that takes tons of work to keep up...as a photog where do you want to spend your time...upkeeping a fancy site or shooting and 'shopping your product.......

Cards need to be EYE CATCHING......different from Joe photog...even if you do not consider your self a TRUE PRO....make that card Look like YOU ARE THE TRUE PRO YOU ASPIRE TO BE.....

jmho

For Business Card softeware I really like Moss Bay Software....only like $15.00 downloadable and works like a dream.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    I'm not so hot at Photoshop, and JUST started getting enough business to NEED cards, but I made this prelim-card until I create more professional ones.
    (aka, no one jump down my throat about the quality of it :smooch )
    55074814-S.jpg
    I won't "have a go at your design" , but will offer a suggestion if you don't mind, being a professional designer & designing business cards etc on a regular basis. What I would say is that you text is too close to the edges. You need to allow a minimum of 5mm, between the edge of the card and any important details such as text. This is to allow for "slippage" in the printing process. Sometimes the print stock can slip on the press & then when the printer comes to cut out your card the text is too close to the edge & gets cut off. Also just from a visual/design perspective it is a little too close. You need to allow a little bit of space to allow your text to "breathe", so see if you have anymore of the wall at the bottom so that your phone numbers aren't touching the coping of the wall. The numbers will then sit in their own space & stand out more. If you need anymore advice, just ask :):
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Great advice! :)
    I do have more of the wall and will re-crop and try again. Thanks!
  • Options
    ReneesEyesReneesEyes Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Here is a special one that I had made up for my veterinarian's office where they asked me to put up an exhibit:

petbusinesscarddog.jpg
  • Options
    ReneesEyesReneesEyes Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2006
    Oh my, it's HUGE!!!! Sorry! At least she's cute rolleyes1.gif !
  • Options
    bkiterbkiter Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2006
    I took the pics :D
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    New version of photocat's business card
    What do you think? Is this better then the ones I posted earlier this evening?
    I tried to implement the comments I got, thanks to all of you who took the time to guide me. I would be pleased with feedback if someone has time...

59635427-L.jpg
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Hi all,
    It was very helpful and interesting to see all the different styles of business cards. I have a few and here are 2 of miine. 59627694-S.jpg

59636695-S.jpg

Another idea ... I now create a 'client business card' on an 8x10 photo paper (metallic works GREAT) which holds 10 cards ...I use one of the images from their shoot and add my information on the card as seen above. They are thrilled to see their photo on 'my' business card and are quicker to pass out my cards when their picture is on the card.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 13, 2006
    Diane S wrote:
    Another idea ... I now create a 'client business card' on an 8x10 photo paper (metallic works GREAT) which holds 10 cards ...I use one of the images from their shoot and add my information on the card as seen above. They are thrilled to see their photo on 'my' business card and are quicker to pass out my cards when their picture is on the card.

Excellent suggestion. Not only will they be eager to hand out, but their friends
    will see them and think of you. Not bad at all thumb.gif

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I think I'll "borrow" it!
    Go for it! And of course, the idea is not original, I "borrowed" this idea from another photog friend....and the cool thing is, I save in photoshop a 'template' card with just my business information and then just 'slip' in the image for each client and create their own personal cards, which I give them when I deliver their print order. I have already had 2 clients call and ask for more business cards... never had that happen before :D

Here is another example of a 'client business card:

59714596-M.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    so i'm working on a re-design of my website and figured I needed a card to go with it...

what do you think?

60005986-L.jpg

Sneak Peak to the site - http://wanderingthroughlife.com/ver3

Thanks,

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    so i'm working on a re-design of my website and figured I needed a card to go with it...

what do you think?

60005986-Ti.jpg

Nice shot, don't like the type or the layout. Too busy. Move your name down to the lower left with the rest of your contact info. The scripty font for the name of your business is too much, as is the outline. Make the phone number the same size as your URL. I pretty much know you're a photographer, so I'm not sure you need that info.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice shot, don't like the type or the layout. Too busy. Move your name down to the lower left with the rest of your contact info. The scripty font for the name of your business is too much, as is the outline. Make the phone number the same size as your URL. I pretty much know you're a photographer, so I'm not sure you need that info.

Awesome feedback!!! Thank you sooo much...

I always get caught when it comes to picking the right font....

I hate choosing fonts.... any suggestions as to which one would be a good one?

I will move my name down to the lower left with the rest of the stuff and make it match on size and such.

I could really use some thoughts on fonts though for the heading...

Thanks,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    How about the font you used on your proto-website?

You could use weight or color to distinguish between WTL and Photography. Maybe not even color, but black/white or dark gray/light gray.

I've mentioned it many times, but the book The Non-Designer's Design Book is most excellent. She's got one for web design, too.

Also, many of your slideshow pics look squished....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    How about the font you used on your proto-website?

You could use weight or color to distinguish between WTL and Photography. Maybe not even color, but black/white or dark gray/light gray.

I've mentioned it many times, but the book The Non-Designer's Design Book is most excellent. She's got one for web design, too.

Also, many of your slideshow pics look squished....

Thank you for the continuous feedback. I will work on it more when I get home....

As far as the pics looking squished.... you're the first to mention something like that... it looks fine on all my monitors.... hmmmm

can anyone else verify this?

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Hey Steven,
    .. just a word about your card.. love the image.. very dramatic. But a word about the placement of the words and the surfers... they might be TOO close to the edges of the card.. bring every thing in by about 1/8" more toward the middle.. I found out the hard way, the printer crops off about 1/8" border all the way around the edges when they go to print and cut. Even my client card with the blue toned family seen above has the url too close to the edge, I had to change it and move it to the right a bit.

Not much help on the font... David had GREAT suggestions, simple works best.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    any better?

I still hate fonts... but i could use more feedback :)

60065879-L.jpg

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    I think you may need to squeeze the edges in a tiny bit more. Just to be safe.

I snagged a template from one of the card printers that shows a card with
    what others might call a "title safe" area. It was a real help. Trouble is, I
    don't remember where from umph.gif
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I think you may need to squeeze the edges in a tiny bit more. Just to be safe.

I snagged a template from one of the card printers that shows a card with
    what others might call a "title safe" area. It was a real help. Trouble is, I
    don't remember where from umph.gif

I actually used the same template :) Came from OvernightPrints....

all falls safe :)

Thanks for checking though,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:

Steven

Now your cooking... easy to read and good spacing, but then I'm not a 'graphics expert' just a lowly commoner who likes the tilt on the 'photographer'.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Diane S wrote:
    Now your cooking... easy to read and good spacing, but then I'm not a 'graphics expert' just a lowly commoner who likes the tilt on the 'photographer'.

Better. I don't like the tilted word, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:

Steven

That's right. Overnight Prints was the place--thankyou!

It is technically title safe. But the nose of the surf board is just at the line
    as are the feet. But that might be because I had to resize the image.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Better. I don't like the tilted word, though.

so now i've got 1 vote to go with the tilted word and one to not go with it...

eeeeek

can't please everyone eh?

i'm not 100% sold on it just yet either... but keep falling short of finding a better solution.

Open to ideas,

Steven
    MM Portfolio

• Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    LiquidOps wrote:
    so now i've got 1 vote to go with the tilted word and one to not go with it...

eeeeek

can't please everyone eh?

i'm not 100% sold on it just yet either... but keep falling short of finding a better solution.

Open to ideas,

Steven
    As a designer I would say that the "TIlt" is too steep. Maybe only about 10-15 degrees rather than the angle it is now. I think its very harsh on the eyes like that & doesn't make the eye flow across the card. Everything else (ie clouds etc) is horizontal & all of a sudden something has been put across it at a sharp angle & it breaks the flow. Other than that I love the card, the colours & everything.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Alot of Very Nice Cards.

Here is my Business Card.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    These are the ones I finally printed
    54161138-M.jpg

The ends are the "backsides" that I used, the middle is the front.
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I really like it.
    Very Nice

Pamela
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net