Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    So, it's not really a business card, since I don't run a photography business. Think of it as a business sized card that I might want to hand out if I happen to take someone's picture.

I'm about to send it off to get printed, but I want to get any and all feedback before I waste my $10 on a big, fat mistake. The look is from the banner I designed for my pathetic little website. Be harsh, cruel, and unexpected, please.

52669847-M.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Be harsh, cruel, and unexpected, please.
    I wouldn't use so much capitalisation which can be very heavy and harder to read, and would prefer smaller font sizes generally.

However this is one of few examples of cards in this thread which demonstrate how a clean, uncomplicated design can achieve the purpose with some real style - and thereby lend credibility to the photographer.
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    So, it's not really a business card, since I don't run a photography business. Think of it as a business sized card that I might want to hand out if I happen to take someone's picture.

I'm about to send it off to get printed, but I want to get any and all feedback before I waste my $10 on a big, fat mistake. The look is from the banner I designed for my pathetic little website. Be harsh, cruel, and unexpected, please.

David, I like the design! My only concern would be how will your pictures reproduce when they're shrunk down. Have you tried printing this out in a 2 x 3.5 format?

Jack
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

In a Land Far, Far Away...In A Time When Text Was King... [size]how'd i do?[/size]

I'm not a big fan of embossed text. I might leave off the e-mail address. Why?
    As someone said earlier, it's a way to spend an extra moment with a
    potential client.

Here's my idea for a card.

52674474-M.jpg
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    I wouldn't use so much capitalisation which can be very heavy and harder to read, and would prefer smaller font sizes generally.

However this is one of few examples of cards in this thread which demonstrate how a clean, uncomplicated design can achieve the purpose with some real style - and thereby lend credibility to the photographer.

Thanks for the comment. The font I chose for my banner on smugmug is Trajan, which is only caps. There is no lower case in the font. Not sure I want to change that, but in general, I also do not like all upper.

Funny about the font sizes. I was worried they were too small.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    In a Land Far, Far Away...In A Time When Text Was King... [size]how'd i do?[/size]

potential client.

52674474-Ti.jpg

Ah, but they aren't potential clients. Like your card, Ian. Nice and clean.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    David, I like the design! My only concern would be how will your pictures reproduce when they're shrunk down. Have you tried printing this out in a 2 x 3.5 format?

Jack

No, I haven't. I should though, huh?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Thanks for the comment. The font I chose for my banner on smugmug is Trajan, which is only caps. There is no lower case in the font. Not sure I want to change that, but in general, I also do not like all upper. Funny about the font sizes. I was worried they were too small.
    Some fonts are like that! I like the way you have carried the style of your Smugmug page across to the card to provide a consistent look and feel.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    I knew there was a reason that I put this up here.

So here's two more. I like the idea of getting rid of the big friggin' name, I mean, who really cares, anyway? It's in the URL, right?

First is Trajan, the font on my site, the second is Optima, stretched out a bit.

52711301-M.jpg

52711328-M-1.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    ian408 wrote:

potential client.

52674474-S.jpg

be nice if www.408views.com landed at your smugmug site, eh Ian? Lemme know if you need any help with that...
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Ok guess I'll jump in too
    52715653-M.jpg
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    lynnesite wrote:
    Thanks, Sam, and Ginger, how about putting www. before gingersnap.smugmug.com? People are used to looking for the www. I know you weren't looking for a critique.

jds, overnightprints.com has a nice layout guide to make sure your layout works within their trimming parameters.

Like you, Dee, I have two businesses, like being able to run up small bunches of different variations, keeps it fun.

You guys that scanned your cards--you didn't create the originals yourselfs in PS or equiv?

This is a big sore point for me, I have sites with and without www. and constantly I have trouble with people not getting my site because they add "www." to one that shouldn't have it. I have a hard time keeping my cool with these people. The DNS system is so simple why can't people understand it? On the other hand I understand that most people are just users and never try to understand what they are doing, but do people just add names/numbers to a street address that they are given just because some other address uses them? Why then to do those same people do this with an internet address and then act like it is my fault that the site is not at this new address that they just made up?

James.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    52711328-M-1.jpg
    Now you're cooking!
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Now you're cooking!
    DavidTO wrote:
    52711328-M-1.jpg

Dub dub dub now I know why you like David's Card So Much! lol3.gif
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    There is no lower case in the font. Not sure I want to change that, but in general, I also do not like all upper.

Funny about the font sizes. I was worried they were too small.

Photoshop has an interesting feature in the text layout pallet thingie. Not sure of the proper name. It lets you use all capital letters, but it looks like there is an upper and lower case to it. The capital case letters are a larger font. Let me know if this does or doesnt make sense. I could look up the pallet name and the feature name, and paste an example, hehe.
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    This is a big sore point for me, I have sites with and without www. and constantly I have trouble with people not getting my site because they add "www." to one that shouldn't have it. I have a hard time keeping my cool with these people. The DNS system is so simple why can't people understand it? On the other hand I understand that most people are just users and never try to understand what they are doing, but do people just add names/numbers to a street address that they are given just because some other address uses them? Why then to do those same people do this with an internet address and then act like it is my fault that the site is not at this new address that they just made up?

James.

one way to solve this problem is to add the exact url. Like http://username.smugmug.com . This way they can type it exactly as it is and it will work. Or you could buy a domain name *I guess they are $3us on yahoo* and have it redirect them to the site you want automatically.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    GerryDavid wrote:
    Photoshop has an interesting feature in the text layout pallet thingie. Not sure of the proper name.

It's called "Small Caps"

It's the fourth box in from the left
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's called "Small Caps"

It's the fourth box in from the left

Ya, what he said, hehe. Thanks.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited January 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    be nice if www.408views.com landed at your smugmug site, eh Ian? Lemme know if you need any help with that...

It eventually will. I need to finish a few things first :)

BTW DavidTo, I like the second where the text is a bit stretched out.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    It eventually will. I need to finish a few things first :)

BTW DavidTo, I like the second where the text is a bit stretched out.

Ian

Yeah, me too. I ordered it. Just wish I had move the shot of my boy in the blue slide a bit to the left. Oh, well.

Thanks all for the help!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Dub dub dub now I know why you like David's Card So Much! lol3.gif
    OMG! Just when he was doing so well!
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Here's my business card

Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    And here's one I've designed but haven't had printed yet due to cost

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Here's my business card

Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Very nice!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Here's my business card

Nicola
    Iconic Creative

I also really like your design. At first I read "ironic" and was trying to figure out the front of the business card and how it said that, hehe.

I tried to go to your smugmug account but the link doesnt seem to work for me in mozilla. It just takes me to smugmugs front page.
  • Options
    mslammersmslammers Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    Mels Card
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10211&stc=1&d=1137542956Here is mine.
    Mel
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    This is a big sore point for me, I have sites with and without www. and constantly I have trouble with people not getting my site because they add "www." to one that shouldn't have it. I have a hard time keeping my cool with these people. James.
    If it's that big a hassle for you, why not put http:// in front of the address? Or do you already?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    If it's that big a hassle for you, why not put http:// in front of the address? Or do you already?

I have it that way already, that is what blows my mind, why can't people just try it as written.

James.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2006
    GerryDavid wrote:
    I also really like your design. At first I read "ironic" and was trying to figure out the front of the business card and how it said that, hehe.

I tried to go to your smugmug account but the link doesnt seem to work for me in mozilla. It just takes me to smugmugs front page.

Ironic!! I like it! Maybe I need a rethink rolleyes1.gif

That's weird cos I'm using Mozilla too (on mac) so it should be fine. Try http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com again, it should work as I log in myself using that address on mozilla.

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Raghu Rai
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 18, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    Here's my business card
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

very nice!