Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited January 24, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:
    Tell me what you think--I haven't printed these yet, just messing around with the idea. Feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Any chance of you posting a larger picture? I'm having trouble reading this one, may be "old eyes" syndrome!

From what I can see, the text in the upper left (against the hair) is difficult to impossible to read. It also feels like the combination of text laying on top of a "full card" photo makes it difficult for my eyes to decide where to focus. I'm drawn to the eye and not to the information on the card. (Of course that may just be me...)

--- Denise
  • Options
    Mulder32Mulder32 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Any chance of you posting a larger picture? I'm having trouble reading this one, may be "old eyes" syndrome!

From what I can see, the text in the upper left (against the hair) is difficult to impossible to read. It also feels like the combination of text laying on top of a "full card" photo makes it difficult for my eyes to decide where to focus. I'm drawn to the eye and not to the information on the card. (Of course that may just be me...)

--- Denise

Maybe I should make the font white then?
    Mike
    Canon 2 x 5D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8IS, 50 f1.4, 580EXII, 2 x 550EX, CP-E4
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Here is an update of mine.

Changes:

1. Font is the same (not mixed anymore).
    2. Lowered Opacity on players to make the text stand out.
    3. Removed Sports Photographer.
    4. Made my name and contact info bigger.
    5. Squeezed the text in closer to the middle to reduce the chance of it being cut off.

OLD:

businesscardfinished.jpg

NEW:

businesscardCMV.jpg

I may try to squeeze the text into the middle a little bit more on the sides as it comes close to the edge? C&C are welcome.

I will also be adding a new email address XXXXX@CMVisuals.net when it is set up.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:
    I can read it with the font changed to white, but my eye is still drawn to the eye in the center of the card and not to the information you are trying to present.

--- Denise
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:

I like it. Definitely white or a light, light cream/offwhite for the text. As Denise says your eye is drawn to the center. But I do then read the text. Given the uneven length of the contact info, the right justification works and doesn't interfere with the image.

It is a little creepy, but the 'photojournalistic approach' tagline seems to go with it. If you are OK with the fact some folks will find the focal point is an eyeball a turnoff, then go for it. You may actually stand out enough to differentiate yourself from all the other wedding & portrait photographers.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Matt336 wrote:
    Here is an update of mine.

Changes:

1. Font is the same (not mixed anymore).
    2. Lowered Opacity on players to make the text stand out.
    3. Removed Sports Photographer.
    4. Made my name and contact info bigger.
    5. Squeezed the text in closer to the middle to reduce the chance of it being cut off.

I may try to squeeze the text into the middle a little bit more on the sides as it comes close to the edge? C&C are welcome.

I will also be adding a new email address XXXXX@CMVisuals.net when it is set up.
    It still looks busy to me. Using shadows and embossing says "amateur" to me.

If you must use a photo, use only one. I would use the first one because it matches.

Here's a really quick example....
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2008
    changed card
    Changed my card from early--better or worse?
    Mike
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,462 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2008
  • Options
    keeprightkeepright Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2008
    I have to say that I've noticed a bit of a trend here: why do photographers put photographs on their cards?

Doctors and scientists don't make theirs white to match their lab coats, lawyers don't make theirs longer than the average piece of paper...

Since pretty much everyone has a portfolio on-line, why include an image on your card? I'd generally say that internet is one of the worst ways to see a photograph, but this is an exception.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2008
    Larger
    Made this larger.
    Mike
  • Options
    alexalex Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Mulder32 wrote:
    Made this larger.
    Not sure I'm qualified to comment on the design, but one thing I noticed right away is the long email and website address. I really think you should invest in your own domain name for your site and email. Unfortunately, the obvious choice seems to be taken already, unless that is your site as well. If not, I hope you can come up with something good, it is getting pretty hard these days.
  • Options
    Alex NailAlex Nail Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    keepright wrote:
    I have to say that I've noticed a bit of a trend here: why do photographers put photographs on their cards?

Doctors and scientists don't make theirs white to match their lab coats, lawyers don't make theirs longer than the average piece of paper...

Since pretty much everyone has a portfolio on-line, why include an image on your card? I'd generally say that internet is one of the worst ways to see a photograph, but this is an exception.

I cant agree with that at all. Since we are in the business of visual art it makes sense that our cards would try to put across what we are doing and how good we are. Its not a matter of needing a picture but more a matter of attracting more customers with one. You might say that business cards are too small for photos but I usually get complimentary remarks when I hand them out.

Alex
    It's not what you see, it's how you see it.
    http://www.alexnailphoto.com
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    alex wrote:
    Not sure I'm qualified to comment on the design, but one thing I noticed right away is the long email and website address. I really think you should invest in your own domain name for your site and email. Unfortunately, the obvious choice seems to be taken already, unless that is your site as well. If not, I hope you can come up with something good, it is getting pretty hard these days.

I agree with the length. The other email choices I wanted were taken. The web address was also taken, but down the road I defintely want to get my own domain name.
    Mike
  • Options
    glhphotosglhphotos Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    First try at business card
    I came across this site from Fred Miranda and decided that any conversation that had 1,000+ comments and nearly 100,000 views might be a place where folks would offer interesting feedback. I put together this business card after reading through the first 40 or so pages. My general idea is to change the photo depending on whether I was promoting weddings, portraits or landscapes. Making the change is easily done and allows for a little more customization. Comments?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    glhphotos wrote:
    I came across this site from Fred Miranda and decided that any conversation that had 1,000+ comments and nearly 100,000 views might be a place where folks would offer interesting feedback. I put together this business card after reading through the first 40 or so pages. My general idea is to change the photo depending on whether I was promoting weddings, portraits or landscapes. Making the change is easily done and allows for a little more customization. Comments?

attachment.php?attachmentid=22644&stc=1&d=1201906395
    The problem I see is that the text "Celebrating the treasured times of your life" is not aligned with anything. Why center align that arbitrarily when the rest of your card has a nice hard left edge? Also the image is not aligned with anything. It's just floating out there in space with a big mess of white space above it, a small amount to the right and left and next to zero below it. Step one, clean up the alignment issues :)

Step 2, clean up the proximity issues. You've got these groupings on your card: title (which includes your business name and your name and maybe your url. Or is your url supposed to be with your contact info? I can't tell.), contact information, and tagline. Your contact information is all spread out haphazardly. Think of it a little like cleaning your kitchen. If you've got stuff all over the place it looks messy and disorganized. But if you've got all your cups over here, all your plates over there, and all your silverware over there, it looks much neater.

Contrast and repitition look okay to me. You've repeated the font and the thin line motif. Your business name stands out more than anything without being that much bigger. I would say that your contact information gets lost because my eye is drawn to the massive black (out of place) tagline that you've got there.

That's my input thumb.gif I don't think it's terrible and with some adjustments, I think it can be a really nice card.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    The problem I see is that the text "Celebrating the treasured times of your life" is not aligned with anything. Why center align that arbitrarily when the rest of your card has a nice hard left edge? Also the image is not aligned with anything. It's just floating out there in space with a big mess of white space above it, a small amount to the right and left and next to zero below it. Step one, clean up the alignment issues :)

Step 2, clean up the proximity issues. You've got these groupings on your card: title (which includes your business name and your name and maybe your url. Or is your url supposed to be with your contact info? I can't tell.), contact information, and tagline. Your contact information is all spread out haphazardly. Think of it a little like cleaning your kitchen. If you've got stuff all over the place it looks messy and disorganized. But if you've got all your cups over here, all your plates over there, and all your silverware over there, it looks much neater.

Contrast and repitition look okay to me. You've repeated the font and the thin line motif. Your business name stands out more than anything without being that much bigger. I would say that your contact information gets lost because my eye is drawn to the massive black (out of place) tagline that you've got there.

That's my input thumb.gif I don't think it's terrible and with some adjustments, I think it can be a really nice card.

15524779-Ti.gif

Welcome to DGrin! :D
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    LedaLeda Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2008
    I love looking at all of these!

Card-LVLROSE.jpg

Since I've redone my logo the beginning of this year, my card really should be done too. Although, I still have ALOT of these...so I'll just wait.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    glhphotos wrote:

One thing I would suggest like I have suggested to many is to design a double sided card. Most places will do both and this can allow for a photo on one side and the other side for info.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    NHphotosNHphotos Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Watcha think
    headscratch.gif just created a few days ago. email & web is long; working on that.

www.NikkiHarrisPhotography.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    headscratch.gif just created a few days ago. email & web is long; working on that.

www.NikkiHarrisPhotography.smugmug.com

Anyone here? need to go to print, but would love your comments first!
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    Anyone here? need to go to print, but would love your comments first!

attachment.php?attachmentid=22686&stc=1&d=1202153781

just my .02:
    1) i think that at print, the text will be sized too small.
    2) your logo should be larger and brought down about 1/4-1/2 inch.
    3) spend the $8.95 to register a domain and replace the nikkiharrisphotography.smugmug.com with something like nikkiharrisphotography.com and your email with user@nikkinharrisphotography.com (or something like that). it's more concise, easier to type, and just more professional-looking. you can get email and web hosting/forwarding for practically free these days if you look around.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    dangin wrote:

just my .02:
    1) i think that at print, the text will be sized too small.
    2) your logo should be larger and brought down about 1/4-1/2 inch.
    3) spend the $8.95 to register a domain and replace the nikkiharrisphotography.smugmug.com with something like nikkiharrisphotography.com and your email with user@nikkinharrisphotography.com (or something like that). it's more concise, easier to type, and just more professional-looking. you can get email and web hosting/forwarding for practically free these days if you look around.

Thanks for the reply! I completely agree with the web & email. I'm trying to get my old web folks to turn my web address over to me which was originally nikkiharrisphotography.com, but they are stalling. Who would i go through to by email consise with web? is overall design ok? thanks again!
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    Thanks for the reply! I completely agree with the web & email. I'm trying to get my old web folks to turn my web address over to me which was originally nikkiharrisphotography.com, but they are stalling. Who would i go through to by email consise with web? is overall design ok? thanks again!

microsoft offers free hosting: http://officelive.microsoft.com/
    google hosting (i think it's still free?): http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

i like the overall design. just make it legible with the right sized typefaces.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:

What do you mean by 'turn my web address' over to me? Your domain was/is registered with Go Daddy. Who is Chad McMillan @ showcasenow.com? Chad is listed as both the administrative and technical contact. So if Chad 'registered' this for you, you may have wait. I'm not sure what Go Daddy's policy is on getting 'your' domain back, but approach them if Chad is the one dragging his feet. I don't see your name anywhere in the registration record, however.

When Chad does release the domain (if Chad is the issue), make sure YOU are the administrative contact when you move it to the new hosting service. The new host can be (& should be) the technical contact.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    NHphotos wrote:
    And if your domain is registered at godaddy, they also offer (at least) one free email account with the domain.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    What do you mean by 'turn my web address' over to me? Your domain was/is registered with Go Daddy. Who is Chad McMillan @ showcasenow.com? Chad is listed as both the administrative and technical contact. So if Chad 'registered' this for you, you may have wait. I'm not sure what Go Daddy's policy is on getting 'your' domain back, but approach them if Chad is the one dragging his feet. I don't see your name anywhere in the registration record, however.

When Chad does release the domain (if Chad is the issue), make sure YOU are the administrative contact when you move it to the new hosting service. The new host can be (& should be) the technical contact.

Didn't intend to paint a bad picture, Chad is a really great guy at a marketing/ advertising agency that my "real" job uses. He set this up for me awhile back. they have many clients and my website, for obvious reasons, is not a priority, which I completely understand!!:D I shouldn't have used the word "stalling"; but instead said that its not at the top of the list as something to complete immdiately. I'm certain that they will release it to me because they are GREAT guys (with awesome design skills!!); it just may take awhile and I was hoping to get business cards printed sooner rather than later.

Anyway, didn't mean to get off on a tangent, but thanks for the "release" advice.
  • Options
    Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Gonna send these off to print soon but would love to hear your opinions and suggestions before I do.
    Thanks
    Front
    Buscard.jpg
    Back
    BuscardBack.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Deadeye008 wrote:
    Gonna send these off to print soon but would love to hear your opinions and suggestions before I do.
    Thanks
    Front

Back

I think it looks great! I have heard that using black on the back of cards can be fustrating if you want to write on them as many people tend to do. But for design purposes I still like it!
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Deadeye008 wrote:
    Thanks
    Front
    Buscard.jpg

LOVE the shot of the kid (i assume yer son) on the right side. that's a great one! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    Thank you for the quick responses! Yep, that's my son. I have a 16x20 of that one hanging in my office.:D