Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I finished up the back of the card....
    238911154-L.jpg

Opinions/criticism? Anything is appreciated! Thanks for looking!
    David -

for some reason the 2 image from the right doesn't seem to belong.

OK - looking at it again - the other 3 are closeups and the last is a wide - sort of reminds me of the SAT test - which one doesn't belong. I do like the other 3 by the way.

I like the 2 fonts but not really the block one. Your name pops with that one font. and the script is good.

Just MHO :D.

Cheers
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    David -

for some reason the 2 image from the right doesn't seem to belong.

OK - looking at it again - the other 3 are closeups and the last is a wide - sort of reminds me of the SAT test - which one doesn't belong. I do like the other 3 by the way.

I like the 2 fonts but not really the block one. Your name pops with that one font. and the script is good.

Just MHO :D.

Cheers

You're totally right; the 3rd image isn't the same as the others... I just loved that photo though; but, I think I either need to balance it with one more far away, or add a fourth head-shot to make it more balanced.

The block font: I thought it was cute :) It really grabs your attention though.. Or, do you not like it due to it being harder to read?

What did you think of the back of the card?
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    You're totally right; the 3rd image isn't the same as the others... I just loved that photo though; but, I think I either need to balance it with one more far away, or add a fourth head-shot to make it more balanced.

The block font: I thought it was cute :) It really grabs your attention though.. Or, do you not like it due to it being harder to read?

What did you think of the back of the card?
    I like the third picture by the way but I think you lose too much with it at that size - if this is a business card it will be even smaller than on screen and if it is a post card it is thumb size and you lose detail in it.

I love the first 2 fonts and the 3rd is a little harder to read and it is a case of doesn't go with the other 2. More like a ransom note almost....if they were 3d blocks like the kid blocks might work as you do portraits but still think it detracts from the other 2. Your name looks cool and your info is in the same color so the font difference works, blocks are a different color.

again mho

Cheers
  • Options
    MichaelBorgerMichaelBorger Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I'm having some text issues with Photoshop and anti-aliasing, but here is a first attempt at a business card. I'm a grad student first and aspiring photographer second, but hey, you never know, right? A few prints could help pay off some student loans!

Please, comments and constructive critcism most welcome. I think the title text is maybe a touch too dull. Making it bold seemed a bit much, though. I'm taking a page from Andy's book and not putting a phone # on the card. Do you think I should add my email address or force people to go to my website to email me?

240902560-M.jpg
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I'm having some text issues with Photoshop and anti-aliasing, but here is a first attempt at a business card. I'm a grad student first and aspiring photographer second, but hey, you never know, right? A few prints could help pay off some student loans!

Please, comments and constructive critcism most welcome. I think the title text is maybe a touch too dull. Making it bold seemed a bit much, though. I'm taking a page from Andy's book and not putting a phone # on the card. Do you think I should add my email address or force people to go to my website to email me?

240902560-Th.jpg
    I'm thinking that your little photographer dude sitting on the hill will be quite lost when you make the card smaller like I just did.

It's an interesting picture, but IMHO, the sky is too bland. Not blue enough or orange enough to wow me. It's also a very noisy image. The color noise in the distant mountain and fog is really pronounced. I guess what I'm saying is are you sure you want this image to be the one that represents you on your business cards?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm thinking that your little photographer dude sitting on the hill will be quite lost when you make the card smaller like I just did.

It's an interesting picture, but IMHO, the sky is too bland. Not blue enough or orange enough to wow me. It's also a very noisy image. The color noise in the distant mountain and fog is really pronounced. I guess what I'm saying is are you sure you want this image to be the one that represents you on your business cards?

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. You raise some of the issues I was wondering about myself - I was hoping to see if someone else noticed the same things and sure enough, you did. I'll have to scour my website and try to find a more suitable photo to use. Unfortunately, it seems that the best photos do not always make the best business cards because of text placement, having a background to allow text to stand out and 'busy photos'.

For example, this is one of my favorite photos, but I don't think it's very conducive to a business card.

23679158-M.jpg
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited January 8, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, Mike. You raise some of the issues I was wondering about myself - I was hoping to see if someone else noticed the same things and sure enough, you did.
    A non-photograph thing that jumped out at me when I looked at the card is the difference in fonts between the card and your web site. I much prefer the look of "mike's eyes photography" on your galleries over that on your card.

I do think that you should add your email address to your card.

I don't think you need the title "photographer" before your name. The focus should be on your name. If you want to place "photographer" on the card I would treat it like a title on a normal business card. Your name should be the focus, with the title either following or under your name, possibly in a smaller type.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rmcdrmcd Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I think the title text is maybe a touch too dull. Making it bold seemed a bit much, though. I'm taking a page from Andy's book and not putting a phone # on the card. Do you think I should add my email address or force people to go to my website to email me?

Hi Michael,

IMHO, a business card is something you want to give someone so that they can get in touch with you. However, if it is a tool to drive people to your web site, then by all means, only put your web site address on there. For me, a business card should provide as much contact information as possible. I would find it strange that your phone number is not on there. Sure they can find it on your web site, but if someone just wants to talk to you about an opportunity, your are putting a hurdle in their way. In my experience, if I talk to someone, they are much more likely to hire me than if they just browse through my web site. Hiring a photographer is as much about personality as it is about ability. Your potential clients are much more likely to hire you once they hear your friendly and confident voicethumb.gif

As for the card itself, I like the image you used, even if there's some noise in it. It has lots of room for the text and is a photo that you have taken yourself. Also, at the size it will be printed, I'm not sure it would be visible. It depends on how you get your cards printed, I think. I would use a larger font for the business name and being consistent with your web site is a good idea.

Just a few thoughts for you! I hope they help!

Richard

Richard McDonald
    Ottawa - Gatineau, Canada
    http://rmcd.smugmug.com
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I like simple, clean cards...so overall the concept of your design isn't bad. But I agree that the sky is a little bland. There's also almost too much of it...a big emptiness. Would it be possible for you to replicate the shot in some manner? Maybe not the same location, but the same concept with the photographer in frame (larger) and something more to fill the top.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    I like simple, clean cards...so overall the concept of your design isn't bad. But I agree that the sky is a little bland. There's also almost too much of it...a big emptiness. Would it be possible for you to replicate the shot in some manner? Maybe not the same location, but the same concept with the photographer in frame (larger) and something more to fill the top.

Thanks - I like clean cards as well, which is why I chose this one. It's hard to replicate as I took it at about 6am from the summit of freezing cold Haleakala :) Maybe on my next trip over to Maui. I could just completely black out the silhouette and add more to the bottom while adjusting the color of the sky and cropping out some of the top, i.e. just shifting the silhouette 'up'.

Would perhaps this similar photo be better? It's the same concept but I like it because it has a bit more 'action' in the sense that there is separation between all the people and they are all striking a different pose. Like above, I'd 'bump it up' by adding more black to the bottom and cropping out some of the top sky.

As you can tell, I'm trying to stay within the 'clean' concept - I don't like busy designs and I think that many of my photos, while nice (um, I think...?) may not make the best cards.

193914109-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Mike, sorry don't see a pic if you meant one to be in that post. I looked at your site and some of your underwater pics are really great and would make (I think), a nice-looking business card...specifically these 3...

http://www.mikeseyes.com/gallery/3201213#176479640-S-LB

http://www.mikeseyes.com/gallery/2895290#155708974-S-LB

http://www.mikeseyes.com/gallery/3151409#173030328-S-LB

The black and white one would not be one that you'd want to write over the picture, but maybe let it take up 1/2 or so of the card, and put the info on the blank side... Just a few thoughts.
    Jen

• Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Mike, sorry don't see a pic if you meant one to be in that post. I looked at your site and some of your underwater pics are really great and would make (I think), a nice-looking business card...specifically these 3...

http://www.mikeseyes.com/gallery/3201213#176479640-S-LB

http://www.mikeseyes.com/gallery/2895290#155708974-S-LB

http://www.mikeseyes.com/gallery/3151409#173030328-S-LB

The black and white one would not be one that you'd want to write over the picture, but maybe let it take up 1/2 or so of the card, and put the info on the blank side... Just a few thoughts.

Thanks again, Jen. Would you believe I did the underwater shots with a regular old point and shoot and an u/w housing? However, that trusty old Olympus got flooded in Thailand in November, so I don't think I'll be doing much u/w for awhile (not sure my grad student lifestyle will let me afford a housing for my D70)! Which also means I may not want to use an u/w photo for my card - but I do appreciate you taking the time to check them out. :D Still, maybe I'm over-thinking it.....

Not sure why the photo was deleted, but here it is (I hope):

193914109-M.jpg

If not, please click here. Again, I'd adjust it like I mentioned in my previous post. By the way, I'm really enjoying looking at your own photos (when I should really be working on this grant proposal instead!).
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Thanks Mike! :D I like the silhouettes in that photo a lot...but again it's almost too much sky and still kind of bland. Too bad about your camera getting flooded. Have you thought about getting the Olympus 770SW...rated for 10 meters and much cheaper than an uw housing!
    Jen

• Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Unfortunately, it seems that the best photos do not always make the best business cards because of text placement, having a background to allow text to stand out and 'busy photos'.

So do a little art direction and purposely take a shot that fits your needs. Include the suggestions Mike, Jen & Denise have made into mocking up a layout, and then take the shot you want. Nothing says you are stuck using an image you already have.

Once you figure out the shot you want, take them at several different focal lengths and move the focus point around the frame to hit different spots using the rule of thirds. Make sure some have lots of 'extra' space around the edges for different post-shooting crops.

Then you will be able to take the various design elements and create the stunning card you want to win over clients with.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    yoyomayoyoma Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Critique my new business card
    Tell me what you think. Also, if you know of a good site to get them printed, let me know -- I want them to be thick with good color.
    2188800008_5ecea689ba_o.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    yoyoma,

This is a much better place to get business card critique than the Whipping Post is, since the WP is for pictures. I've moved you post. Good luck! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Here's mine. :D

fastcatstudiobizcard1.jpg

I'm trying to go for something simple yet has connection with my website ...
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008

fastcatstudiobizcard1.jpg

It needs more C.R.A.P. imo. Contrast, Repitition, Alignment, and Proximity. The "Fast Cat Studio" font is different than the rest of the fonts, but it's not all THAT different. Don't be a wimp (no offense, that's a line straight from the non-designer's design book), if you're going to make something different, make it very different. The text is a jumble of assorted alignments. Fast Cat Studios is right justified to somewhere near the middle of the card though it's difficult to tell with the lion doing a wheelie graphic. The Louise St.Romain and Photography text is left justified to some random point on the left side of the card. And the last two lines are centered just to make sure everyone knows that you know where the right, left, and centered buttons are in photoshop.

It's kind of a big, huge jumble and my eye doesn't know what to look at or what information is important. It isn't simple-looking at all, it's confusing. I'd scrap it and try again. Remember C.R.A.P.

Contrast - Make things stand out when they NEED to stand out. And when you do, REALLY make them stand out. You probably don't want to mix two similar fonts (if you've got sans-serif for most of the card, use a serif or decorative font for the title if you're going to change the font at all).

Repitition - Make your card one cohesive unit by repeating graphical or typographic elements in a sensible way.

Alignment - Aligning the right edge to the center of the card has nothing to do with the centered text below it. If you're going to right align, right align everything (or vice versa). Avoid center aligning
    unless
    it
    is
    painfully
    obvious
    that
    center
    alignment
    is
    intended.

Give the eye somewhere to go, just like in photography.

Proximity - Everything on your card is pretty much spaced the same. The header is basically as far from your name as your name is from your title as your title is from your contact details. I don't know what is what or why something is important or where I should focus my attention. Give my eye what it needs. deal.gif

Hope that helps.

• Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008

your website doesn't work... anytime i see moto related sites, i immediately go to em... yours 404'd. :(
  • Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Well, here it is again:

fastcatbizcard2a.jpg
    Hopefully its more coherent...

and com3, try it again, its working now :D
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2008
    Well, here it is again:
    Hopefully its more coherent...

and com3, try it again, its working now :D

i already posted mine earlier in the thread, but here it is again...maybe it'll help you form ideas? it's gloss on both sides (which has it's downfalls...like, you can't write on it very well...'specially since it's black) and the edges are rounded and it's on HEAVY stock.

(doesn't have URL on front...that's just watermark)
    151896510-L.jpg

and this is the back
    151896075-L-1.jpg

here's my OOOOLD biz card from back in the day... didn't like it much though...
    152035594-L-1.jpg

i'm gonna be redesigning my card again in the next week or so, as i'm about to run out...and i get bored of the same thing all the time. :D
  • Options
    Alex NailAlex Nail Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    Well, here it is again:

fastcatbizcard2a.jpg
    It's nice, the drawing is great but I think you need some more work on the fonts and layout of the card. Firstly it would make more sense to me to have email@fastcatstudio.com, this will result in the website and email being easier to remeber.
    The fonts are very different to eachother and I think this is my greatest issue witht he card. The old font fits in less well with the theme of the card and your target market. so I would adopt a more modern font, perhaps the same as "Fast Cat Studio". I would also sa that the modern font is perhaps over complicated with the shadow and the highlight

FASTCATSTUDIO.gif
    It's not what you see, it's how you see it.
    http://www.alexnailphoto.com
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    My card is most definitely a work in progress. I know that I need to work the dusty dog to be more logo-ish. That's my aim. So, I put forward here for your review my card. This is the front. C&C most greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    And, here's the back of my card. Is there a way to upload two images in one post?
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    just spent the last 20 or 30 mins making this for new card... this is the back... haven't made a firm decision on the front yet... whatcha think?

243979592-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    dusty-dog wrote:
    My card is most definitely a work in progress. I know that I need to work the dusty dog to be more logo-ish. That's my aim. So, I put forward here for your review my card. This is the front. C&C most greatly appreciated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22454&stc=1&d=1200447633
    Not too bad there. Your outline dog is a work in progress, so no need to critique that too much right now. You may want to end up losing the highlight and dropshadow, that seems a bit much honestly. Also I'd probably reconsider the textured background if I were you.

I would definitely right justify the contact information at the bottom and align it with your business name and stuff at the top.

Oh, and you can post multiple images if they are stored somewhere on the net. There's a pretty good online photo sharing site called SmugMug that you may have heard of. deal.giflol3.gif

• Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I went with a two-sided card.

cardscanzf5.jpg

I've got to say this is probably one of my favorite cards displayed on here!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Ok, I've liked both suggestions so much I put my order on hold to experiment some more. I want to leave the front pretty much as-is, but I've played with the card back a bit. I used Dave's suggestion of a definition for flipography, put at the top of the card, and moved the website to the bottom...leaving room in the middle for contact info. What do you think...to busy? Good?

235943960-S-1.png
    I really like the idea.. i think you need more of a typewriter type text though..
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    Diane S wrote:
    227096083-S.jpg

This is an old one.... or "What NOT to do". I have learned a lot since then, thanks to this forum. Too many fonts, too busy, yikes, what was I thinking? And I was trying to find a "brand" or logo design and this wasn't working. My biggest question was whether to include a photograph on my cards. But I was finding the photos I used on the card were too client-specific...in other words, I shoot weddings, location portraiture, studio portraiture, families, babies and events. And this card wouldn't 'speak' to a prospective wedding client.

Hence, the change to a non-photo business card with just my new logo/branding. I now use these tourqouise and brown colors for all my packaging and this name logo is my watermark etc etc.

Oh and as a side note... I create personalized client business cards for each of my clients with one of THEIR shots from their session on 8 'business cards" that I create on wallets using my business card design.. I just add their photo to the side and shrink my biz infor.to the left and add their name to their picture. They LOVE LOVE LOVE this 'gift' and share it with all their friends and KEEP my personalized-client business card in their wallet. I ran into a client I did a YEAR ago and he showed me the wallet-business card with my photo of his family was STILL in his wallet a year later... BEST AND CHEAPEST FORM OF ADVERTISING I EVER INVESTED IN!!! (similar to my card above, but with my new logo brand and more streamlined)

ok.. so here is my streamlined, information only business card. This is the front and the back lists what photography I do. So, how can I improve with this ? All help is appreciated. Thanks, Diane

227096089-M.jpg

I adore your 'new and improved' card!
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,268 moderator
    edited January 16, 2008
    dusty-dog wrote:
    I agree with Mike's suggestion to right-justify the text.
    And I also don't like the embossed background, would prefer to see a plain background.

Also - while I like the photo you plan to use on the back, I don't feel like the front and back of your card belong together. When I first saw the back of your card I assumed that you focused on bird photos. While your site does contain a number of bird galleries, there are many other subjects too. What are you trying to say with your card?

--- Denise