Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    heatherwhiteheatherwhite Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Here's an example of my card. Of course, c&c is welcome. The final product has less black border; the logo is centered and my name on front is right-justified.

front
    2196418056_57788e03d8.jpg?v=0

back
    2196417984_e5456a9b84.jpg?v=0
  • Options
    ArchiTexasArchiTexas Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I like the simplicity of your card, all black with white type looks elegant - I can imagine your card looking very nice when printed on some quality black stock. I also like how you grouped the info/contact text into a graphic element. I like the back the best. The only part that doesn't work for me is the cursive type on the front. Its way too inconsistent with the rest of your card. Everything about your card seems very "contemporary" and "graphic design" oriented except that cursive type on the front, it not contempoary or very graphic at all - traditional, yes, but not contemporary. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for sharing.

ERF
    Here's an example of my card. Of course, c&c is welcome. The final product has less black border; the logo is centered and my name on front is right-justified.

front

back
    http://erfphotoart.com

Olympus E510 and Gigapan mount
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008

front

back

i like that a lot! clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,260 moderator
    edited January 16, 2008

back
    I like the simple presentation of your name and photographer (title), and the black and white has a clean look to it.

I find the different fonts on the two sides of the card to be a jarring difference. I'd prefer to see something a little more similar.

The second, more detailed image? Your name and photographer look fine. The text to the right is pushed too close together, and the lack of vertical spacing makes it difficult to read.

I would prefer to see one web site address, not three. You should provide obvious links within each site to navigate to the other two.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    I find the different fonts on the two sides of the card to be a jarring difference. I'd prefer to see something a little more similar.

The second, more detailed image? Your name and photographer look fine. The text to the right is pushed too close together, and the lack of vertical spacing makes it difficult to read.

I would prefer to see one web site address, not three. You should provide obvious links within each site to navigate to the other two.

--- Denise

i disagree with everything except about having too many URLs.
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008

front

back
    I see your card is a hot topic; I love it
    i like the different fonts, the multiple URLS, I love the block of information to the right, also the black and white. another one of my favorite ideas!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    heatherwhiteheatherwhite Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Thanks for all the input!
    Not that I have to answer for my actions :), but...
    Archi--I went with the different fonts because of the dichotomy of the traditional font and the modern font; too much of the same font gets boring, and my website, smugmug and blog all have the cursive "logo", so I used that for continuity. I wanted to go with a block font that contrasted yet still "fit" with the cursive (too much swirly cursive is a bad thing, imho); I think it kinda goes in an opposites-attract-kinda-thing. But I am glad you shared your opinion; I'm glad we all think differently...be too boring otherwise, and no fuel for discussion :).
    com3--thanks!
    denisegoldberg--thank you for the complement...I like to be 'jarringly different' :) In this world of now-ness, I provided 3 links (in addition to it helping with the almost-square pattern) because, if you're like me (in terms of webpages anyway) I want to go where I want to without having to take a detour. This way, a client can go directly where they want to without having to go to the main site, waiting for the flash to load, etc. But I will think about it. And really I was going for more of a graffic impact. Had I been writing anything longer than a business card, definitely would have spaced better. (You beat me anyway...you have four links listed on your forum post :)
    cantfeelmyfingers--I think you have the best taste ;)

Really I do appreciate all the comments...after all, I did ask for critiques/criticism! And I look forward to hearing any more.
    Later.
    Heather
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Wouldn't Ginger be proud this thread is up to 1000 replies? wings.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:

On the way to find a subj for the challenge, I happened on having done this photo, so I made a business card out of it. The info on it is all the info people need from me.

Where would you all suggest I get it printed inexpensibly on the internet?

Or as cheap as possible.

g

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=94820&postcount=1
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ShutterbugmomShutterbugmom Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    First Photo Post and also my card
    Well, here's my first photo posted. I figure this is a good place to start. Not sure I'm ready for the Whipping Post, I've been reading some of those. I need to grow thicker skin for that one. Laughing.gif

Seriously, I do welcome your feedback. I am thinking of getting them printed on metallic paper. (and of course the tele number won't be blurred) I think it's pretty much how I want it, but it'll be good to see what you all think. I lightened it just a little from how I had it at first and I think I might like the darker version a little better. Thanks for looking.

Blessings!

244277426-M-1.jpg
    http://shekinahphotography.com
    Worshipping the Creator and capturing His awesome creation!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Hi Kathleen and welcome.

Wow, what a spectacular sunset! (or was it a sunrise) - nicethumb.gif

In terms of the graphic layout, I have three comments:

1. The words "Shekinah Glory" in the lower right of your card appear a bit crowded against the black silhouette of the distant hills. Try moving the your entire photo up a few milimeters (this may mean needing to clone some black onto the bottom of your card) so that "Shekinah Glory" at the bottom right ends up surrounded by a bit more black at the top edge of the text, not squeezed against the horizon like it is now.

2. The main font that you use for the main title, the words "fine images by", and your name is quite distinctive. Some of the letters, like the capital S, almost have a petroglyph like quality to them - which is cool since this compliments the background image. I'm not fond of the smaller script at the bottom though. The font used for the fine print is kind of quirky and IMO distracts and competes with the main font above. Maybe a simpler font? The fine print could be in a simple, business like font, while the main titles could use the distinctive font you have selected.

3. Last comment: Because of the very bright sunspot in the beautiful image that makes up your background the visual focus of the entire composition is the sun in the lower right third of the card. This composition is reenforced by the sunrays that radiate out from the sun towards the edge of your card. this, to me, is actually very cool since the photo is beginning to dictate the overall composition of the graphic layout. Having said this, I think that your card would be stronger if your business name, the words "fine images by", and your name were not centered in your card. center justifying this text has nothing to do with the image behind it. Try left justifying your main titles and see if you can align the "K" in Kathleen to just barely touch, or align with, that uppermost sunray at the far left of your card. In fact the word "Kathleen" actually does have a relation hip with the sun in the way the lower diagonal leg of your K sweeps and points directly at the sun, aligning with one of the rays. You may need to play around with this awhile to get the main titles to relate to the background better. I think your good card could become a great card if the text elements played off of the background image more. Otherwise you've only superimposed words over a photograph.

Just my two cents - thanks for sharing.

ERF

Well, here's my first photo posted. It's on my business card. I figure this is a good place to start. Not sure I'm ready for the Whipping Post, I've been reading some of those. I need to grow thicker skin for that one. Laughing.gif

Seriously, I do welcome your feedback. I am thinking of getting them printed on metallic paper. (and of course the tele number won't be blurred) I think it's pretty much how I want it, but it'll be good to see what you all think. I lightened it just a little from how I had it at first and I think I might like the darker version a little better. Thanks for looking.

Blessings!

244277426-M-1.jpg

• Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    got it! new front of card... it'll be on there sideways... but i already flipped it around a buncha times, and no matter what, still looks like dude is crashing (cause he is). oh, and the "4theriders.com" wont' be on there..that's just auto watermark when i upload to smugmug.

244338700-L.jpg

it took me about 30 mins to get the back done... took me the last 1.5 hours to do the front! argh! i was getting tired of the old one and i'm almost out of my batch of 1000...

...and final back of card...
    243979592-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Well, here's my first photo posted. I figure this is a good place to start. Not sure I'm ready for the Whipping Post, I've been reading some of those. I need to grow thicker skin for that one. Laughing.gif

Blessings!

244277426-S-1.jpg
    I've got to tell you, I think Papyrus is the most overrated, overused, least attractive font out there. Just look through this thread and you'll see tons and tons of cards that use that same font.

That said, I'm sure there are situations where using it can work, but definitely not in combination with that handwritten font that you use at the bottom of your card. Fonts need to be the exact same or completely different. A decorative sans-serif does not go well with a different decroative sans-serif.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,461 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008

Blessings!

I'll just add that I would not use the yahoo e-mail. You have your own domain, why not use something like "info@shekinahphotography.com"? It looks more professional that way. I'd also remove the "Shekinah Glory ©2007". :D
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Thanks so much for all the great ideas and comments! They are very helpful. I will work on and post a revision in the near future. I posted that and then came down with something and have been in bed.

For the record, I still like the Papyrus for the title and my name. I think it works for the subject matter and like I said, I like it. I will change the bottom font, though. I knew there was something I still wasn't happy with and that just may be it.

I also like the idea of moving it to work better with the sun rays.

Thanks again for your help and thoughts!

Blessings, Kathleen
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Okay, I tried to use some of what you all said. I may not have done them the exact way you were thinking. Still not sure about the font sizes and placement.

This is the darker version of the photo. I think I like it better because you can see more of the sun rays. Let me know which you all like better.

I even tried to go with no Papyrus, but just didn't like it. I like the Papyrus because it goes well with the theme of my whole business which is Biblically based.

Comments????

244718581-M-1.jpg
    Here's the before for comparison...

244277426-M-3.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Okay, I tried to use some of what you all said. I may not have done them the exact way you were thinking. Still not sure about the font sizes and placement.

This is the darker version of the photo. I think I like it better because you can see more of the sun rays. Let me know which you all like better.

I even tried to go with no Papyrus, but just didn't like it. I like the Papyrus because it goes well with the theme of my whole business which is Biblically based.

Comments????

244718581-M-1.jpg
    I think it's important to show the URL as well as the email address. Yes, most of us know that given the email address that the site name is probably www.shekinahphotography.com, but I suspect there are still many web neophytes out there who may not realize that. You know the (type of) people you are reaching out to though; maybe I am looking at this with an overly cautious eye.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I think your revision is much better, but I agree with Denise about the web address. If I had to choose one, I'd put the web address on there over the email adress, because once they get to your site, they can probably email you from there, right? Also, I wonder how it would look to move your name over so it lines up under "Fine Images by"? Those two lines go together and the way it is now, at first glance they seem like separate items. Just a thought...

(Can you tell I've just been reading the The Non-Designer's Design Book?)
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Dusty Dog Digital
    This card is a work in progress, but I was using your advise to make revisions. I think I'm closer. I'm going to work with a graphic artist friend of mine to make a sharper dusty dog logo. I think that's what this card really needs. I'm having issues showing my images, I think. I'm sending this off and hope it shows.

Front:

2592474#244728022-A-LB

http://dusty-dog.smugmug.com/gallery/2592474#244728022-A-LB

Back:

2592474#244728019-A-LB
    http://dusty-dog.smugmug.com/gallery/2592474#244728019-A-LB

2592474#244728019-A-LB
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    dusty-dog wrote:
    I'm having issues showing my images, I think. I'm sending this off and hope it shows.

Front:

2592474#244728022-A-LB

http://dusty-dog.smugmug.com/gallery/2592474#244728022-A-LB

Back:

2592474#244728019-A-LB
    http://dusty-dog.smugmug.com/gallery/2592474#244728019-A-LB

2592474#244728019-A-LB
    I think the problem with displaying (not displaying!) the images is that they are in a password-protected gallery. The gallery can be private, but if you want to show the images here I don't think that it can be password-protected.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Thanks, Elaine and Denise. Here's a revision. You can see how the text looks lined up.

244732977-M.jpg
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I think the problem with displaying (not displaying!) the images is that they are in a password-protected gallery. The gallery can be private, but if you want to show the images here I don't think that it can be password-protected.

--- Denise

Are they linking or attaching, rather than inserting? I insert images from a private, password gallery all the time. headscratch.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Are they linking or attaching, rather than inserting? I insert images from a private, password gallery all the time. headscratch.gif
    That's a linked image, so it's displaying directly from the gallery.

Inserted images show in the forum inside of a box. And I believe that kind of image is copied and stored somewhere within the forum.

--- Denise
  • Options
    dusty-dogdusty-dog Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:

Yeah, I have also. I dunno what the issue is. How do you show your images? I've been trying "Right Click" --> Properties --> Location. It's not working. What am I doing wrong? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    dusty-dog wrote:
    Yeah, I have also. I dunno what the issue is. How do you show your images? I've been trying "Right Click" --> Properties --> Location. It's not working. What am I doing wrong? ne_nau.gif
    Your gallery has a password which means you can't link to those images externally. Simply remove the password in your gallery customizations and you'll be all set. More from our help pages: http://dusty-dog.smugmug.com/help/private-albums
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Hi Shutterbug Mom,
    I like your improvements, this is much better than your first post.clap.gif

It looks like the font size is different on your name compared to the words "Fine Images by". That bothers me because you end up with four lines of text and every line is a different height. I wonder if it would look better if "fine images by" and your name were the same height? You might also want to play with the idea of deleting the phrase "fine images by" altoghether and just listing your name. Not sure about that though, I'd see how it looks first.

Rgds,
    ERF
    Thanks, Elaine and Denise. Here's a revision. You can see how the text looks lined up.

244732977-M.jpg

• Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    ArchiTexas wrote:
    Hi Shutterbug Mom,
    I like your improvements, this is much better than your first post.clap.gif

It looks like the font size is different on your name compared to the words "Fine Images by". That bothers me because you end up with four lines of text and every line is a different height. I wonder if it would look better if "fine images by" and your name were the same height? You might also want to play with the idea of deleting the phrase "fine images by" altoghether and just listing your name. Not sure about that though, I'd see how it looks first.

Rgds,
    ERF

Yes, I think I agree about getting rid of "Fine Images." Your card already says "photography" and is showing a "fine image," so maybe it's a little redundant to say it in text form. Maybe just your name or "by Kathleen Bowman" would suffice. thumb.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Well, it looked really plain with just the business name only, so I tried something else. What do you think of it now?

244772375-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Well, it looked really plain with just the business name only, so I tried something else. What do you think of it now?

244772375-M.jpg

Well...now it's difficult to tell if Shekinah Photography is supposed to be centered or left justified...there's just a little more space on the right than there is on the left. In the previous version, Shekinah seems to be lined up with info@ on the left and then your two lines with your name were also lined up together on the left. In this version, nothing seems to be lining up and it doesn't feel as clean or pulled together. I prefer the last version, and if you don't want to get rid of Fine (Art) Images By, I would keep both lines the same size font. There's my .02!

It has been very helpful to me to observe this thread as I'm just getting ready to try and put my own card together. thumb.gif

EDIT: And just to clarify, in my previous post, I didn't mean to imply it should only have the business name. I meant to stick with the business name and then just have Kathleen Bowman under it. I thought the word "name" being thrown around may have caused some confusion, regarding business name vs. personal name.
    Elaine

• Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Another attempt. I am so glad to have your help and suggestions on this. My family seems to love everything I do and I understand, but sometimes it's not too helpful. :D

I swapped the bottom text and moved the top text over so it's flush. I also shunk the line containing my name. I would take fine art images out, but people keep asking for portraits and that's not what I do, at least for the most part.

What do you think, now?

244815899-M-0.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Another attempt. I am so glad to have your help and suggestions on this. My family seems to love everything I do and I understand, but sometimes it's not too helpful. :D

I swapped the bottom text and moved the top text over so it's flush. I also shunk the line containing my name. I would take fine art images out, but people keep asking for portraits and that's not what I do, at least for the most part.

What do you think, now?

IMO, this is your best version yet! thumb.gif Is there a reason you've opted for email address over web address? I'm interested to hear what the more experienced card designers say.

EDIT: I do wonder about switching those bottom two items back though...the sun in your picture was peeking out just between them before, which was kinda nice.
    Elaine