Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Hey everyone, I designed this card a few days ago and ran it by the wife and she loved it but she isn't real particular. Would you guys tell me what you think of it? Thanks

card.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 17, 2008
    Russ,

The size of your card is unusual and will make it difficult to print (not to mention adding to the cost). There is nothing wrong with unusually sized cards. A card that's "different" will attract attention and if it's unique, could offer an advantage because it does stand out.

I would choose a standard sized card in this case. You can download templates from the various card vendors to help adjust the size.

The design is a bit busy and a tad confusing. Is it "EP" or "Erbeman Photos"?
    I might lose the "EP" and center your name and title on the card. Also consider leaving more room on the edges to prevent problems with the cards are cut.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Russ,

The size of your card is unusual and will make it difficult to print (not to mention adding to the cost). There is nothing wrong with unusually sized cards. A card that's "different" will attract attention and if it's unique, could offer an advantage because it does stand out.

I would choose a standard sized card in this case. You can download templates from the various card vendors to help adjust the size.

The design is a bit busy and a tad confusing. Is it "EP" or "Erbeman Photos"?
    I might lose the "EP" and center your name and title on the card. Also consider leaving more room on the edges to prevent problems with the cards are cut.

Excellent feedback. I'll work on that and post another one up soon.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    LexPhotoLexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Time to reorder!
    So I am almost out of my business cards. Thought "great time to create". Let me know what you think! All ideas welcome!!
    Thanks!

Front
    333621235_LSELv-M.jpg

Back
    333621281_3GZ3C-M.jpg
    LEX....
    as in Al-ex :wink

www.alexaphotos.com
    "Capturing Life...One Moment at a Time"
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    LexPhoto wrote:
    So I am almost out of my business cards. Thought "great time to create". Let me know what you think! All ideas welcome!!
    Thanks!

Front
    333621235_LSELv-M.jpg

Back
    333621281_3GZ3C-M.jpg

I'm digging the pictures and the colors of the pic, but in my opinion, the "Alexa Photography" and the emblem are the wrong colors. They are pastel colors and they aren't jivving with the picture. I guess they are fine on the back but I don't think they look good on that pic. A simple text color change and you're there. thumb.gif
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    Alright after taking Ian408's suggestion this is what I've come up with: Tell me what you think.

preview.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    Alright after taking Ian408's suggestion this is what I've come up with: Tell me what you think.

preview.jpg

Much better. I noticed the font is difficult to read as it gets smaller. You might consider a larger font or perhaps changing it to a more block style (Verdana or Times New Roman). I might also leave off "Erbemanphotos.com" above your e-mail address as it's redundant and make the title font a bit smaller.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    LexPhoto wrote:
    Thanks!

Front
    333621235_LSELv-Ti.jpg

Back
    333621281_3GZ3C-Ti.jpg

Hi Alex wave.gif
    If you're going to have a double sided card, why not make the front simple and elegant and put the list of your services, etc. on the back?

So business name, contact info on the front, list of services, on the back.

I would also remove the lone "alexaphotos.com" as it's redundant.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    I'm digging the pictures and the colors of the pic, but in my opinion, the "Alexa Photography" and the emblem are the wrong colors. They are pastel colors and they aren't jivving with the picture. I guess they are fine on the back but I don't think they look good on that pic. A simple text color change and you're there. thumb.gif

Thanks for the honesty. The reason they are pastel is because they match my website colors. Something to "connect" the card to the site, so to speak. Plus I was thinking that if the name stands out, its a good thing. Just what I was thinking. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the compliments!!
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    michaeltjmichaeltj Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 17, 2008
    Hey guys. This is actually my first post on Dgrin....
    I'm working on a business card and wanted to get some criticism on my current mock-up. I am going for a professional and elegant look.

I think the background letters in this one help by keeping it from being too boring.
    333688304_Nrpf4-X3.jpg

This one is very simple without the background letters.
    333688339_9X4yd-X3.jpg

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    LexPhoto wrote:
    Thanks for the honesty. The reason they are pastel is because they match my website colors. Something to "connect" the card to the site, so to speak. Plus I was thinking that if the name stands out, its a good thing. Just what I was thinking. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the compliments!!

Ahhh, well I guess that makes sense.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Alex wave.gif
    If you're going to have a double sided card, why not make the front simple and elegant and put the list of your services, etc. on the back?

Hello Ian!

My last card had all the info on the back and I found that if I wanted to post the card somewhere (bulletin board, etc) the important information was on the back and the "catchy" part of the card did show the vital info. So I was trying to get the best of both worlds with this one.

The lone alexaphotos.com is the website and the other is the email so I would like both on there. Though I did think of putting Website: and Email:, but was afraid of getting too wordy. Humm things to think about!! thumb.gif
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    michaeltj wrote:
    Hey guys. This is actually my first post on Dgrin....
    I'm working on a business card and wanted to get some criticism on my current mock-up. I am going for a professional and elegant look.

Thanks for the help!

Hello Michael and Welcome!! clap.gif
    Dgrin is wonderful, with a wealth of information and great people!

Anyway, Like the card!! I like the one with the background letters better, but maybe a bit lighter still, almost transparent. Also, if you have a simple logo or symbol for the business, maybe use that instead so your eyes dont tend to see all the repeated letters.

I would also stick with just first and last name instead of all three (unless you go by all three when being addressed).

Otherwise, looks great!! Well done! thumb.gif
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    michaeltjmichaeltj Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 17, 2008
    LexPhoto wrote:
    Hello Michael and Welcome!! clap.gif

Anyway, Like the card!! I like the one with the background letters better, but maybe a bit lighter still, almost transparent. Also, if you have a simple logo or symbol for the business, maybe use that instead so your eyes dont tend to see all the repeated letters.

I would also stick with just first and last name instead of all three (unless you go by all three when being addressed).

Otherwise, looks great!! Well done! thumb.gif
    Thanks for the help! I changed the transparency and removed my middle name:
    333717801_XXFFz-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Alex wave.gif

K Ian....I revamped the card a bit. The front was a bit crowded, so I moved some things around. Let me know what you think. I also took off the email address. Most people will go to my website before they email anyway and my email address is on the website!

333753790_NmfmH-S.jpg

333753809_TDfjo-S.jpg
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    michaeltj wrote:
    Thanks for the help! I changed the transparency and removed my middle name:
    333717801_XXFFz-X3.jpg

Michael,

Like the transparency much better!! Looks good. The thing you need to be careful with is the trimming area. It may cut off some of the J and M. I like the idea, the font just makes me want to lean a bit! lol If the makes sense.
    Also, have you thought about getting an email that is directly related to your business? That way people can easily remember it and it can link back to your business and not GAtech. Just yet another idea! ne_nau.gif
    LEX....

www.alexaphotos.com
  • Options
    scottycamscottycam Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    Nice cards! Here's mine. this is one side of it, its glossy and the other side contains my contact info. Very Simple and Clean.
  • Options
    scottycamscottycam Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2008
    scottycam wrote:
    Nice cards! Here's mine. this is one side of it, its glossy and the other side contains my contact info. Very Simple and Clean.

here's the back...
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    Michael,

Pay no attention to that "G" in my tag mwink.gif

I don't know your standing at Tech, but you may want to consider a different email address. If you are a student, well, I don't think you will be at Tech forever, and even if you work there, things change.

I have had a problem with two different "work" emails in the last 8 years, and three different ISP based emails since 1997.

I changed my "permanent" address to a Google Gmail addy. This way I know I will always have the same email address forever. Well, that is unless Goggle goes away, but I don't think that will happen.

And the best thing about it is that I have have my Gmail set to automatically forward everything to my email address at work.

You may want to consider it, or not :D

Just thought I would mention it.
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2008
    LexPhoto wrote:
    K Ian....I revamped the card a bit. The front was a bit crowded, so I moved some things around. Let me know what you think. I also took off the email address. Most people will go to my website before they email anyway and my email address is on the website!

333753790_NmfmH-Ti.jpg

333753809_TDfjo-Ti.jpg

Better.
  • Options
    joviphotojoviphoto Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I just had these printed at VistaPrint.com and tonight found this site. I would appreciate your critiques. There are some phenomenal cards out there! Of course, the watermark is not present on the card. Thanks!

338253931_Xkn2X-S.png

This doesn't show well here, so I'm including the link.

http://JoviPhoto.smugmug.com/photos/338253931_Xkn2X-S.png
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    joviphoto wrote:
    I just had these printed at VistaPrint.com and tonight found this site. I would appreciate your critiques. There are some phenomenal cards out there! Of course, the watermark is not present on the card. Thanks!

338253931_Xkn2X-S.png

http://JoviPhoto.smugmug.com/photos/338253931_Xkn2X-Ti.png

A dark font on a dark picture is always tough to read. My suggestion would be to find a photo that's maybe indicative of your work and which is not a "tight" shot as this one is. Perhaps a couple walking or something else that leaves room for the text info on the card. The font color should be a contrasting color too.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    A dark font on a dark picture is always tough to read. My suggestion would be to find a photo that's maybe indicative of your work and which is not a "tight" shot as this one is. Perhaps a couple walking or something else that leaves room for the text info on the card. The font color should be a contrasting color too.
    Good thoughts. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    joviphoto wrote:

338253931_Xkn2X-S.png

http://JoviPhoto.smugmug.com/photos/338253931_Xkn2X-S.png

i'm not really keen on it. the photo's colors are off. i'd suggest either going b&w with it and popping it or adjusting the levels and saturation because it just looks too flat IMO. i have to agree w/ ian on the choice of typeface color as well. it doesn't provide good contrast and clashes with the skintones. perhaps if you make the image b&w, you could use a bright white for the typeface to really set it out.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2008
    Okay, that's what I'm looking to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Options
    tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2008
    This was my first crack at it. I hope to redo them pretty soon, adding my website. I also plan to lose the colorization photo on the back opting for something else.

Front:

2702258549_6daa237687.jpg

Back:

2703077816_9e89191007.jpg
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    tinfish wrote:
    This was my first crack at it. I hope to redo them pretty soon, adding my website. I also plan to lose the colorization photo on the back opting for something else.

Front:

2702258549_6daa237687.jpg

Back:

2703077816_9e89191007.jpg

fantastic card!! just needs URL and is PERFECT! clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    Just did some new ones. I stay away from images and go for readability in low light situations. I also don't do specialties. I'll do almost anything or farm it out to someone that can for a small commission. My job it to be the customers' photographer. This card works in every situation.

Cheers,
    David

Side #1:
    340135939_4B4pD-S.png

Side #2 (with room to write on) :
    340135972_FLNAJ-S.png
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2008
    Just did some new ones. I stay away from images and go for readability in low light situations. I also don't do specialties. I'll do almost anything or farm it out to someone that can for a small commission. My job it to be the customers' photographer. This card works in every situation.
    I really like it David! It has a lot of class!
  • Options
    tinfishtinfish Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2008
    com3, thanks for the comment. appreciate the feedback.

David, I agree very classy card. I have considered something similar as a secondary card for potential clients outside of wedding photography.
    Jeff Harbin
    "Life of Riley" Photography
    www.lifeofrileyphotography.com