Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Bishop GideonBishop Gideon Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Ooo! OOOooo! My turn! My turn! :)

I'm still playing around with the idea, but here's 5 designs I'm looking at, let me know what you think. Thanks!

card_1.jpg

card_2.jpg

card_3.jpg

card_4.jpg

card_5.jpg
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008

I'm still playing around with the idea, but here's 5 designs I'm looking at, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Are those standard sized business cards?

I like the black and white concept, but I don't care for photos on a business card and I'm not keen on the embossing/drop shadows either.
  • Options
    jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Here is the Proof for my newest card. I just had to put the WTD toon on the back! With permission of course.

J

280472943_zsqas-XL.jpg
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2008

card_1.jpg

card_2.jpg

card_3.jpg

card_4.jpg

card_5.jpg

I like #5 followed by #2. My only concern about this card is the font for the telephone number is a little hard to read......

Interestingly enough, one poster said he doesn't like pictures on a business card....but I believe that a photographer should show off some of his work on their card.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008

Interestingly enough, one poster said he doesn't like pictures on a business card....but I believe that a photographer should show off some of his work on their card.

IMO, you don't sell you photos from you card. A business card is a point of contact only. You refer your clients to your website. Your website is where you sell your work.

Can you really see a photo on a small 2 x 3.5 piece of paper?

....but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    IMO, you don't sell you photos from you card. A business card is a point of contact only. You refer your clients to your website. Your website is where you sell your work.

Can you really see a photo on a small 2 x 3.5 piece of paper?

....but that's just my opinion.

I am 10 times more likely to check out someones website if their business card catches my eye.........you can't really do that with ordinary "contact" information........but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    I am 10 times more likely to check out someones website if their business card catches my eye.........you can't really do that with ordinary "contact" information........but that's just my opinion.

I agree. It's all about the design. I've seen some really great cards that use photos, but I've seen some junk there too. Same thing about non-photo cards. I'm just a bit 'old school' and prefer my card to have no photo that's all. :D
  • Options
    dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    Just finished designing mine. Thoughts? Wanted to keep it clean, modern and simple. Also, anyone know of a good online printer that uses a nice, heavy stock? How thick are overnightprints'?

Cheers,
    D

Front:
    343313528_rN8xF-L.jpg

Back:
    343313501_yMECT-L.jpg
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    jbr13 wrote:
    Here is the Proof for my newest card. I just had to put the WTD toon on the back! With permission of course.

J

280472943_zsqas-XL.jpg

ahaha! love the idea of humor...never thought of or seen that before. clap.gif
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008

Mine too.
  • Options
    GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Well, here's mine. Sat down and 3 hours later had these .TIF's sent to overnight prints.

Buisnesscards.jpg
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

• Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Well, here's mine. Sat down and 3 hours later had these .TIF's sent to overnight prints.

compleeeeeetely off the subject, but i just checkked out a few of your shots in this gallery: http://gwagdesigns.smugmug.com/gallery/4774500_AKwdM#283281992_vUTPp and i liiikes. good stuff! thumb.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    Here's my new one, just sent off to printing:

front:
    344971711_P4Lvn-M.jpg

back:
    344971692_Jktfz-M.jpg
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited August 4, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I like this. Simple. Elegant.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    I like this. Simple. Elegant.

why thank you!!!! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    why thank you!!!! :D

Yes. Fantastic.

Is that an off-white? If not, I would think about a softer white. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:

I must agree with everyone, it is very elegant and very professional. I'm a big fan of keeping it simple.

Would love to get some feedback on mine too: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=888286#post888286

Also, can anyone who uses overnightprints let me know how thick the stock is? Any other good online printers that don't use cheap stock? I hate flimsy cards. Checked with a couple of local printers and what the want to charge is astronomical. Don't mind paying for good quality (especially since your business card portrays a lot about who you are) but don't want to be gouged either.

Cheers,
    D
  • Options
    KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    what do you think
    Here is my business card, what do you guys think?

IMG_1367.jpg
    ~Katie~
    :barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Mulder32Mulder32 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2008
    My latest creation
    Simple, to the point.
    Mike
    Canon 2 x 5D, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8IS, 50 f1.4, 580EXII, 2 x 550EX, CP-E4
  • Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Here's mine, just ordered a batch of them:

346124125_aNuPu-M.jpg
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2008

The problem is that a photo that you or I might think is great is only fair or uninteresting to someone else.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2008
    The problem is that a photo that you or I might think is great is only fair or uninteresting to someone else.

I never thought of it that way.....of course I thought everyone would love and admire my work. mwink.gif Of course I should have realized my wife and daughter dispelled that myth a long time ago..............
  • Options
    jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2008
    dlibrach wrote:
    I must agree with everyone, it is very elegant and very professional. I'm a big fan of keeping it simple.

Would love to get some feedback on mine too: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=888286#post888286

Also, can anyone who uses overnightprints let me know how thick the stock is? Any other good online printers that don't use cheap stock? I hate flimsy cards. Checked with a couple of local printers and what the want to charge is astronomical. Don't mind paying for good quality (especially since your business card portrays a lot about who you are) but don't want to be gouged either.

Cheers,
    D

Overnightprints cards a nice and thick. I get the UV coating also. I really like their cards for the price! I can't say how thick they are, you may find that on their website or email them.

J
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • Options
    emtajimemtajim Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    David

Nice work I like, simple and yet to the point and no doubt about what you do. Which program did you use to design your card?

I also have to agree with com3 super pics on your web site

Jim T

Buisnesscards.jpg
  • Options
    rsi1986rsi1986 Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    I used vistaprints.com. Great card for the low lowthumb.gif

347829600_bbWLZ-M.jpg
    Stimulating the economy one lens at a time. :super
    Robert A. www.imaginglifestyle.com

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Here's one I thought about giving a try:

ambiaperturecard.jpg?t=1218502476
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Bump on Vistaprints. Cheapo shipping = 3 weeks.
    There are 100+ pages here and there are a lot of suggestions. If you skip around 20-30 pages you will probably get a feel for what others like. A business card isn't just about what you like on a card. Some of the most difficult to read cards I've ever seen have been from design firms and photographers!

It is a perfect piece of white paper until we start messing with it. Take a look at all the templates that vista prints and others offer as suggestions that are fair to very good in design.

A couple suggestions.
    Keep to one font.
    Make it highly readable in terrible lighting conditions. This means no tiny type and no low contrast. Assume your audience is 18 to 80 years old.
    Find a card you like and be inspired (borrow) from it. :D

rsi1986 wrote:
    I used vistaprints.com. Great card for the low lowthumb.gif

347829600_bbWLZ-M.jpg
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2008
    Idlewild wrote:
    Here's one I thought about giving a try:

ambiaperturecard.jpg?t=1218502476

Idlewild, it's a gorgeous card, but the fonts are tiny even at this enlarged size. Printed as a standard business card, very few people will be able to read them.

Just a possibility... maybe you could print the image on one side, with your logo beneath it (and larger) in the black area. Then on the other side, have your contact info printed large and legible on a black background.

You definitely have a great sense of style... I'm just being practical here. :D
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    dlibrach wrote:
    Just finished designing mine. Thoughts? Wanted to keep it clean, modern and simple. Also, anyone know of a good online printer that uses a nice, heavy stock? How thick are overnightprints'?

Cheers,
    D

Front:
    343313528_rN8xF-M.jpg

Back:
    343313501_yMECT-M.jpg

Gorgeous!
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    Gorgeous!

Thanks, cabbey! :D