Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    I would have to agree with Denise about the smugmug url.......but otherwise I definitely think the card will capture peoples attention and get them to check out your site. thumb.gif

Thank you I will have to check out the domain thing never had a problem with the smugmug myself, it's always been my photos that sell my work not the namenod.gif
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 29, 2010
    Scott293 wrote: »
    ...never had a problem with the smugmug myself, it's always been my photos that sell my work not the name
    That's true, but the URL contributes to a professional image, as does your web page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    printergirlprintergirl Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Scott293 wrote: »
    Thank you I will have to check out the domain thing never had a problem with the smugmug myself, it's always been my photos that sell my work not the namenod.gif

Absolutely Scott, but having a domain name, even if it is just parked and redirects over to SmugMug, comes off as so much more professional. Something like www.scottdavisphotography.com, or whatever, just appears more professional. Then when you have an email address like scott@scottdavisphotography.com (again whatever domain you go with), it really ties your marketing all together. I purchase a domain name for less than $10 a year and just redirect it to SmugMug to show my work. Actually I use a landing page at that domain, so I can redirect the customers to either my website or my blog. Very cheap to do.

Also good in case, for whatever reason, you decide to go with something other than SmugMug, you have a fixed page you can use that customers can always find. I know some photographers who maybe have a wedding site on one service, a portrait site with SmugMug, a blog somewhere else, etc. They use that one domain as their landing page and don't have to have a million different business cards printed with different addresses. Just a thought.
    ~ Nora

WebsiteBlogFacebookTwitter
  • Options
    jbextenjbexten Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    I created this card from my first wedding shoot.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    jbexten wrote: »
    Are you using this as a business card? It seems that a web site address and an email address or phone number is needed to make it useful. Or is your contact information on the back of the card?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Are you using this as a business card? It seems that a web site address and an email address or phone number is needed to make it useful. Or is your contact information on the back of the card?

--- Denise

Yes, that information is on the back of the card...I could not figure out how to upload more than one image. Is this possible?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Yes, that information is on the back of the card...I could not figure out how to upload more than one image. Is this possible?
    Not by uploading, but by linking to images on the web. See "How to post photos on dgrin" in the thread Dgrin - How To Do Most Anything.

You've probably already handled this, but I'll ask just in case... did you check with the bride & groom about using their image on your business cards?

--- Denise
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010

I hate to say it but the guardrail in the background doesn't send the best message about your business.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Not by uploading, but by linking to images on the web. See "How to post photos on dgrin" in the thread Dgrin - How To Do Most Anything.

You've probably already handled this, but I'll ask just in case... did you check with the bride & groom about using their image on your business cards?

--- Denise

Yes, they both signed model releases and have no issues with me using there images for advertising.
  • Options
    snowphotosnowphoto Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    business card
    847838888_9dAvs-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Allan FG wrote: »
    I hate to say it but the guardrail in the background doesn't send the best message about your business.

I wasn't too sure about the bridge guardrail either...the groom is a farmer and this shot was not planned...they just happened to walk to this location and turned around. What do you think about the rest of the image?
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    That's true, but the URL contributes to a professional image, as does your web page.

--- Denise

Thanks for the info, but you never did say you liked my card or not other than th URLheadscratch.gif
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

• Options
    edited June 29, 2010
    Absolutely Scott, but having a domain name, even if it is just parked and redirects over to SmugMug, comes off as so much more professional. Something like www.scottdavisphotography.com, or whatever, just appears more professional. Then when you have an email address like scott@scottdavisphotography.com (again whatever domain you go with), it really ties your marketing all together. I purchase a domain name for less than $10 a year and just redirect it to SmugMug to show my work. Actually I use a landing page at that domain, so I can redirect the customers to either my website or my blog. Very cheap to do.

Also good in case, for whatever reason, you decide to go with something other than SmugMug, you have a fixed page you can use that customers can always find. I know some photographers who maybe have a wedding site on one service, a portrait site with SmugMug, a blog somewhere else, etc. They use that one domain as their landing page and don't have to have a million different business cards printed with different addresses. Just a thought.

Thank you very much for the info, I will start working on this as soon as I get the time.
    Scott Davis

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    Not sure if this would interest anybody here, but Moo is having a "contest" of sorts where they are going to do 500 free business card redesigns.

We just got an email that they accepted our application and are going to do ours :)

http://businesscardproject.com/
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2010
    I think it's best we move on here. People have offered constructive criticism and there has been no progress. It's probably best to not post a business card unless you're willing to respect other people's opinions.
    I totally agree, Ben. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    5x5photo5x5photo Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Designed and printed mine from FedEx Office online. The first batch I made just had my email and phone number, it was before I made my website. This is the new batch I'll be having printed up soon now that my website is completed. (please note the email address on the card is not yet valid. I'll be setting it up shortly, but in the meantime there is a link on my site to email me.)
    - Luc
    976 Photography
    www.976photography.com
  • Options
    bradtroyphotographybradtroyphotography Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Brad Troy Photography
    Fairly plain...trying to decide if I want to redesign it to include my work.

739215866_DibLz-L-2.png

Brad Troy Photography
    View my Landscape, Cityscape & Nature Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." ~Ansel Adams~
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    5x5photo wrote: »
    Designed and printed mine from FedEx Office online. The first batch I made just had my email and phone number, it was before I made my website. This is the new batch I'll be having printed up soon now that my website is completed. (please note the email address on the card is not yet valid. I'll be setting it up shortly, but in the meantime there is a link on my site to email me.)

I'm not really a fan of the very template-like look. This looks like something straight off VistaPrints or another budget printer.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010

739215866_DibLz-L-2.png

I would include some sort of work of yours. I think it's a little too plain. If you had a bolder color scheme for your logo/branding, I'd say you could just have what you do now. But for those colors, you definitely need something more eye-catching.

Also, I have to admonish you for the gmail address. You already have your domain, so why not create an email there? You can even have GMail for your domain. And if it would really be a hassle, you could just create a forwarding address that would redirect to your existing gmail.com account. But you definitely want to look professional with your business card, and having an email at your domain is the easiest thing you can do to look more professional.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    5x5photo wrote: »
    Designed and printed mine from FedEx Office online.
    Either keep the card very simple or use an image that represents your work. An image of a camera does nothing to promote a professional business.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010

Is the image on your card as fuzzy as the image in your banner? I'd recommend replacing it in both places if that is true.

Plus - I have no idea what that image represents.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    Is the image on your card as fuzzy as the image in your banner? I'd recommend replacing it in both places if that is true.

Plus - I have no idea what that image represents.

--- Denise

Denise,
    I appreciate the thoughts. The image is an abstract take on film, where film = photography. Certainly outdated now as I shoot digitally. It is crisp on the business card itself. I have an idea for a new business card look; I think my bigger challenge will be making it into a page header for my site. We'll see where it goes. I'll probably be posting some new ideas here soon.

Brad Troy Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." ~Ansel Adams~
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010

739215866_DibLz-L-2.png

My old card is above. A redesign can be seen here. It is clean in the main file, posted in lowwwwwww quality:

932965441_UGAAh-M.jpg

Feedback is welcome; still have to look into the email address. The address on the new card is not active. I'm also looking for suggestions on a potential new header for my website as it currently shares a theme with the old card.

Brad Troy Photography

• Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    My old card is above. A redesign can be seen here. It is clean in the main file, posted in lowwwwwww quality:

932965441_UGAAh-M.jpg

Feedback is welcome; still have to look into the email address. The address on the new card is not active. I'm also looking for suggestions on a potential new header for my website as it currently shares a theme with the old card.

I would strongly recommend against using Papyrus. It's an interesting font, but highly overused.

Even the font's creator seems to lament its popularity! (almost halfway down the page)

I think Papyrus is a great font when used in relation to antiquity and such things, but that's about it.

Also, at print size, I doubt that your contact info would be all that easy to read.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    I use Moo.com.

I know they're higher priced, but the quality is phenomenal and EVERYONE comments and REMEMBERS my cards! I have five different front images and the same back image.

920729110_sLNCH-M.jpg

920729042_m8Eq3-M.jpg

920728987_JY7kb-M.jpg

920728931_C4YQD-M.jpg

920728877_m82C9-M.jpg

and the back side:
    920729140_VyS7B-M.jpg
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I use Moo.com.

I know they're higher priced, but the quality is phenomenal and EVERYONE comments and REMEMBERS my cards! I have five different front images and the same back image.

Is your slogan really trademarked (™)?
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I use Moo.com.

920729110_sLNCH-M.jpg
    Is your slogan really trademarked (™)?

Ditto. Marjohn, if you're going to add (tm) to your cards, you might want to actually trademark it. ;) A quick search of USPTO shows a couple dozen "one click at a time" variations trademarked but not "one click at a time" all by itself or "capturing life one click at a time".
  • Options
    imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Pixoul wrote: »
    Ditto. Marjohn, if you're going to add (tm) to your cards, you might want to actually trademark it. ;) A quick search of USPTO shows a couple dozen "one click at a time" variations trademarked but not "one click at a time" all by itself or "capturing life one click at a time".

Per the TEAS application:

"What about the trademark symbols TM, SM and ®?
    Any time you claim rights in a name or mark, you may use the "TM" (trademark) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim, regardless of whether you have filed an application with the USPTO. However, you may use the federal registration symbol "®" only after the USPTO actually registers a mark, and not while an application is pending. Also, you may use the registration symbol with the mark only on or in connection with the goods and/or services listed in the federal trademark registration."

I'm still debating on logo--then will file TEAS application and $325.00

Let me just say I'm not trying to stir a hornet's nest or stir a debate... this was just the information I found when I started to apply and per everything I've read, it's best to have your logo AND tagline filed together...
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    I'm still debating on logo--then will file TEAS application and $325.00

Let me just say I'm not trying to stir a hornet's nest or stir a debate... this was just the information I found when I started to apply and per everything I've read, it's best to have your logo AND tagline filed together...

Oh, no hornets nest, my point was that there are enough "one click at a time" variations already registered in other lines of business that you definitely want to get the ball rolling on a registration before someone else beats you to the punch with "capturing life one click at a time" in any business category or "one click at a time" in the photography category.

Even if you have proof of first use in commerce it still costs money to hire a lawyer and file a notice of opposition if someone else registers it out from underneath you.
  • Options
    whitsabout21whitsabout21 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2010
    Whits about...
    I just wanted to add.