Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2010
    acevesf wrote:
    Great question, I've seen it posed to other before as well. But honestly I prefer the ease and usability of gmail. I have a godaddy account with e-mail but yuck!

You can use google apps to link your domain name to a gmail interface. The best of both worlds!

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2010
    front:

20100314-fceg2abc7marujtuy9g6duhmp.jpg

back:

20100314-j2iyw96yipejbuhpu1af74iuix.jpg

Just ordered this off VistaPrint... this is a screenshot of the preview page from there (original photoshop file is saved on another computer so...)

My husband thinks the photos will be too small when printed. But he didn't like our old cards either...

front:

20100314-k1f7ruy6ij16t1jr8que2rsruq.jpg

back:

20100314-bwwh7kw7jsdk5e8e99ufcrwd51.jpg

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2010
    I'm finally getting around to trying to order some business cards and I would like some critiques/opinions on them.

1.) Rose image positioned on "safe lines".
    809871612_pQEUy-M.jpg

2.) Rose image full bleed position.
    809894040_HD2sz-M.jpg

3.) Rose image full bleed with address/email bar moved.
    809896243_gNrid-M.jpg

4.) No Image.
    809871753_D8nXb-M.jpg

I was thinking of having these printed at Vistaprint.ca and the images you see above are the full bleed size. Now, image #1 is lined up with the safe lines in the vistaprint template which means when it gets printed and trimmed there will be a black border but it will only be visible in the corner where the vase is. Will that look ok? Or should I try and put the image to the trim line?

Also, the two cards that have the images positioned at the full bleed part will have some of the vase and possibly some part(s) of the flower cut off. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that but also I'm not sure how I feel about the black border that would be there if I went with card #1.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    I just had these made up to replace my other business card that includes my printing and promotional products business. Wanted one for just photography.
    810530144_6cUWx-S.jpg

back
    810530121_Pmvr6-S.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited March 15, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote:
    I just had these made up to replace my other business card that includes my printing and promotional products business. Wanted one for just photography.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to get across here. The image on the front of your card seems unrelated to nature / weddings / portraits / events photography.

And while I like the quote on the back, the images on the back of the card are unrelated to the message. I'd prefer no image on the back.

In addition, I'm a bit surprised that you don't have a custom URL and an email address that matches your domain.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Kyle D wrote:
    I'm finally getting around to trying to order some business cards and I would like some critiques/opinions on them.
    The rose image pulls my eye away from the text on your card, and it seems to me that it is unrelated to your business. Of the 4 cards shown, I'd go with the no image card. I think I would prefer the text to one side or the other as opposed to centered.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Kyle DKyle D Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    The rose image pulls my eye away from the text on your card, and it seems to me that it is unrelated to your business. Of the 4 cards shown, I'd go with the no image card. I think I would prefer the text to one side or the other as opposed to centered.

--- Denise

Thanks for that. I guess it is back to the drawing board with these.
    Kyle D.

Not allowed to enter Henry's alone anymore...

Kyle Derkachenko Photography
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    20100314-bwwh7kw7jsdk5e8e99ufcrwd51.jpg

Sorry to say this, but your brand name does not convey quality. By labeling it "Affordable Digital" Photography, it really seems cheap and commoditized. If this is your business name, I'd try to minimize the "affordable" part.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    back:

20100314-j2iyw96yipejbuhpu1af74iuix.jpg

Are you trying to promote your business or SmugMug's?

While it's nice to point folks at smug, I doubt that the Powered by SmugMug pro logo means anything to your customers and prospects. I would recommend removing the smug logo from your card.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    Are you trying to promote your business or SmugMug's?

While it's nice to point folks at smug, I doubt that the Powered by SmugMug pro logo means anything to your customers and prospects. I would recommend removing the smug logo from your card.

--- Denise

+1.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Sorry to say this, but your brand name does not convey quality. By labeling it "Affordable Digital" Photography, it really seems cheap and commoditized. If this is your business name, I'd try to minimize the "affordable" part.

I agree. thumb.gif This was our OLD business name - old business cards, as I stated in my post. The new business name/url was the two top cards, also in my sig.

• Options
    rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    What do you guys think of mine? I want to get some feedback before I print them.

Card Front:
    RGPBusinessCardFront.jpg

Card Back:
    RGPBusinessCardBack.jpg
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:
    What do you guys think of mine? I want to get some feedback before I print them.

Card Front:
    RGPBusinessCardFront.jpg

Card Back:
    RGPBusinessCardBack.jpg

I know they are larger than normal print but the pixelation on the graphic is not good, make sure it does not show at business card size. More contact info for when people do not have access to computer or web.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:

Card Front:

Card Back:

The aperture blades look cheesy and way over-used. The logo looks like you designed it in Photoshop and not Illustrator. The font you used is hard to read. The back of the card is too busy for my tastes. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I was a little worried about the pixelation of the aperture blades. I will make some changes and repost.

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

• Options
    edited March 15, 2010
    K, I made a few changes to both the front and back. I'm happy with the back, but I feel the front is lacking a little. Any suggestions/criticisms?

Front:
    RGPBusinessCardFront-1.jpg

Back:
    RGPBusinessCardBack-1.jpg

• Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    I would like to get everyone's opinion of my first card draft. This is the first card I've designed and I wanted to keep it very simple. It certainly is that but is it too simple?

Thanks in advance!

Front:
    811473333_63kfU-O.jpg

Back:
    811483928_BNcCM-O.jpg

Edit: added the missing W!
    Travis
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I would like to get everyone's opinion of my first card draft.
    Missing a 'dub'! :D

BTW, what font is that on the front side?
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    Missing a 'dub'! :D

BTW, what font is that on the front side?
    crap! rolleyes1.gif

I just retyped it before uploading and missed that completely. It's Myriad Pro Light Semibold used throughout. The front was done in Illustrator, was cut out and given a drop shadow for a little depth.
    Travis
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    thoth wrote:
    I would like to get everyone's opinion of my first card draft. This is the first card I've designed and I wanted to keep it very simple. It certainly is that but is it too simple?

I really like the design, but I have no idea what you do based on the card. Yes, it probably is just a bit TOO simple. I would suggest listing what you specialize in, so you don't leave everyone guessing.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    ClubFlysClubFlys Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2010
    ClubFlys Business Card
    The design I have been using for the past year or so..

proofl.th.png

And these are the cards I use for my normal photography clients.. I have two designs to give to specific demographics.

lasherphoto20080907roun.th.jpg lasherphoto20080907roun.th.jpg

lasherphoto20090331roun.th.png
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2010
    BeachBill wrote:
    I really like the design, but I have no idea what you do based on the card. Yes, it probably is just a bit TOO simple. I would suggest listing what you specialize in, so you don't leave everyone guessing.
    Thank you, Bill. I do get caught up on vague sometimes. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Is Anyone Crazy Like Me?
    O.K. I have read all these pages and almost stopped on pg 7 and I get to the end here and same guy w.w. is also at the end, well I am posting my card anyway close your eyes if you are in new zealand. I love the very pro cards and the not so pro cards everyone has showed. My card is done this way for many reasons and from the repeat business it works for me. I am wondering is there more people out there with strange cards? Feel free to make comments on mine as I may change it with a valid reason.[IMG][/img]815168449_aTRbf-M.jpg
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    Deb, one thing that really bothers me with your card is the images of the birds. They're not all the same size, and in the bottom corner, they do not align.

The font bothers me, the color of the font bothers me, and even the pictures bother me ... but at least have the images aligned.

If this works for you, great! I would just suggest working on the alignment of the images.

Jeremy
    Jer
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2010
    Deb, one thing that really bothers me with your card is the images of the birds. They're not all the same size, and in the bottom corner, they do not align.

The font bothers me, the color of the font bothers me, and even the pictures bother me ... but at least have the images aligned.

If this works for you, great! I would just suggest working on the alignment of the images.

Jeremy
    Thanks for the input Jeremy, I know that things don't line up but it really only bothers the pro's not everyday people they could care less.As for the font color etc It is what people remember when ordering another in the series, they don't need a website[I only put one in 45 days ago for organizing etc.] they just say send me the bluebird etc because they have a card. If I were to do weddings people,sport, almost anything else I would of course have to show some professionalism but my market does not require nor demand something that I am not able to do nor want to do. I will when I learn how to align do that because it would look better to me too,but it may take me a while to learn as i don't have ps,cs, or a programe just got my 1st computer this year.But I think you will have this color burnt into your brain for a while driving you crazy,and you will tell at least one other person about this horrific card you saw and well ,word of mouth good or bad is advertising and at least one kid will squeal with glee if mommy or daddy buy them a BRIGHT BIRDIE for their room, I do the standard good shots to but I don't advertise those I sell them privately.Most pros don't get this type of advertising at all but I think many [not all] beginners get so carried away with over thinking things a little to much sometimes. IF YOU LEARN YOUR TARGET MARKET DO WHAT WORKS FOR THAT AND LIVE A LITTLE. wings.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2010
    I have eight cards, because I couldn't make up my mind. rolleyes1.gif

It works out though, because different people like different ones, and they're all being picked up at one point or another.... : )

Hmmmm I kinda like that idea! Corner the market!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2010
    deb22 wrote:
    Thanks for the input Jeremy, I know that things don't line up but it really only bothers the pro's not everyday people they could care less.As for the font color etc It is what people remember when ordering another in the series, they don't need a website[I only put one in 45 days ago for organizing etc.] they just say send me the bluebird etc because they have a card. If I were to do weddings people,sport, almost anything else I would of course have to show some professionalism but my market does not require nor demand something that I am not able to do nor want to do. I will when I learn how to align do that because it would look better to me too,but it may take me a while to learn as i don't have ps,cs, or a programe just got my 1st computer this year.But I think you will have this color burnt into your brain for a while driving you crazy,and you will tell at least one other person about this horrific card you saw and well ,word of mouth good or bad is advertising and at least one kid will squeal with glee if mommy or daddy buy them a BRIGHT BIRDIE for their room, I do the standard good shots to but I don't advertise those I sell them privately.Most pros don't get this type of advertising at all but I think many [not all] beginners get so carried away with over thinking things a little to much sometimes. IF YOU LEARN YOUR TARGET MARKET DO WHAT WORKS FOR THAT AND LIVE A LITTLE. wings.gif

I'm not so sure I follow this logic. Given the small size of the photos, the dissonant design is probably what will be remembered. Why don't you try a double-sided card? Make one side a solid color background with your name, number, and website in a more pleasing font. On the other side, put pictures. Put 4 pictures and make them take up the entire back side.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2010
    I made a few changes to my card. What do you guys think?

Front:
    RGPBusinessCardFront-1.jpg

Back:
    RGPBusinessCardBack-1.jpg

• Options
    edited March 24, 2010
    I'm not so sure I follow this logic. Given the small size of the photos, the dissonant design is probably what will be remembered. Why don't you try a double-sided card? Make one side a solid color background with your name, number, and website in a more pleasing font. On the other side, put pictures. Put 4 pictures and make them take up the entire back side.
    Ben, You don't follow the logic because you and Jeremy assume that this card is my only card, My whole point is know your market- you are a pro people photographer and MUST show quality on your card.This card is for parents with kids and kids can't read a quality font and don't care if things don't match exactly,They also don't turn the card over or see anything other than the color and the bright birds. I said I had good reason for doing it this way yet no one asked what they were,I find that funny really as I think you are trying to help but looking only through your own eyes and perspectives rather than wondering why I use this and to whom am i marketing etc. We all seem to get a little carried away sometime's with perfection and it is not always needed, not in my type of art for obvious reasons. P.S. I have given a choice to clients just to see which they pic, the standard or this and a good majority pick this one,mostly because they only want a contact # and don't care like we think they do. Think like you did when you were a kid ,most of us bought mom a charm for her bracelet on her birthday, mothers day, christmas etc we buy the same thing if we think she loves it, this series is just like that when mom likes birds and dad buys one for 'Johnny' to give her then mothers day comes and now he wants to give her a yellow bird etc. You get the idea,this scenario works in many different ways from kid to parent or parent for child. I do the regular good shots as stated above but these outsell anything I do by a large majority. Hope this clears up things for people and really unless you are HAVING to show your skill on your card relax and have some fun once in a while.wings.gif