Options

Nice to meet you.

Comments

• Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Sean, as you know, "Sher" is a female name... And you know, before I sent you that message about those so-called "spots" way back when, I looked out on your site to see what your name was :poke,and there's not a clue that I could find other then an e-mail address! Thought you might have wanted to stay a secret...

You might consider identifying yourself a bit more!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    You might consider identifying yourself a bit more!

I did have a site with a full blown bio etc... at one time. including many more personal bits of information.

But for some reason I pulled it all....

why? I'm still not sure.

In this world of digital persona anyone with a little ingenuity and time can find out pretty much what they want to about me anyway via the big G search. So why not make it easier?

Very good point.
  • Options
    Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    Who are ya?
    Todd - just turned 39, married to a beautiful photographer with two gorgeous daughters and an assortment of pets.

Where are ya?
    After traveling part way around the world and throughout the U.S. I ended up in Cartersville, GA.

What do ya do?
    I am currently a Sr. Systems Engineer developing web applications. In my previous life I was a Sr. Controls Engineer developing custom control systems for systems integrators for many years.

How long shootin?
    I have been taking pictures for as long as I can remember. I started with a Kodak X-15F and was hooked from day 1. A friend sold me a used Minolta X-370 35mm with 3 lenses when I was in high school (this was a great camera and I still have it). Just after entering the workforce I bought a Canon EOS A2. Within the last few years I switched to digital with a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and now D200 (my wife came with all sorts of Nikon goodies). :)

Hobbist or Pro?
    I haven't sold any of my pictures so I guess you could just call it a hobby.

What else?
    What little spare time I have right now I enjoy spending it with my family, shooting some challenges on DGrin, building hot rod cars and trucks, riding motorcycles, 4-wheeling, camping, computers, computer programming, and website design. You can never have too many computers or too much photography equipment.
    Todd
  • Options
    MadridMadrid Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2007
    I'm back
    Very first, thank you Liywellon, HoofClix, Pat, and Tentation for your wishes. Once I get well, I will take revenge against the camera and wildly click and participate rolleyes1.gif . Oh! I have to warn everyone that I still use Spanish expression unporposely, so if I say something that doesn't make any sense, please ask me or forgive me.

Liywellon, yes we were neighbors here in SA. I live close to Bitters and 281....and the city is growing at an alarming speed.

Well, I love this thread. We are from everywhere, every age, every job and all loving photography. I am really honored to be in this group.

Marisa
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Does your nose work?
    Tentacion wrote:
    BistiArt....I'm amazed at your portfolio, and love your photos!! Thanks so much for sharing....if I am ever in the area, and my pockets can afford it, I would love to do that tour !!

PS: I don't think your an old fart..(I don't smell anything over here at least..Laughing.gif)

Take Care
    Donna

Thanks Donna,

Would elder with an unusual sense of humor properly replace 'old fart'?

Just entered some of those images in our State Fair competition. Its a juried show and I will be a volunteer to hold the images next Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights. Maybe there will be some more news which can be entered after that maylee...

I suspect we will see more of one anothers work...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Felicia wrote:
    What else?
    During the first 5 years or so of being back in the U.S., I hated living here. Then I had an epiphany and approached living in the States as I would living anywhere else in the world - an adventure of trying to understand the "native" culture. Slowly, slowly, I was assimilated and now truly love this nation.

I call it reverse culture shock... My wife is planning to write a book about it... We have both experienced it several times and know many others who go through it... Good to hear you have become well assimilated.
    clap.gif Winston
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007

I call it reverse culture shock... My wife is planning to write a book about it... We have both experienced it several times and know many others who go through it... Good to hear you have become well assimilated.
    clap.gif Winston
    Yep! You nailed it right on the nose! I think that when I finally stopped fighting the whole "you should love this country because this is where you are a citizen" voices in my head, and turned them upside down, I was a lot happier.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    EarthwatcherEarthwatcher Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 16, 2007
    Who are ya?
    Richard Donkin. My smugmug page is dickdonkin.smugmug.com
    Where are ya?
    Surrey in England
    What do ya do?
    I write columns for the Financial Times and various magazines
    How long shootin?
    This doesn't mean much. I've been taking pictures a long time but there have been many times when I haven't been taking pictures. It's like saying I've been fishing for salmon 30 years (but mostly only one or two weeks a year). It's only relatively recently that I have been taking photography a little more seriously. I guess that's too long an answer for a forum.

Hobbist or Pro?
    I take pictures for fun mostly but have had some published in newspapers. I haven't made enough yet to cover the cost of the gear so I can't and wouldn't call myself a pro.

What else?
    I'd like to enter for a competition or two but don't really know how. I'm not at all technical and often find some of the technical comments a bit intimidating. I'm interested in getting my better pictures to a wider audience and wonder how best to go about that.
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Who are ya?
    Dave Jester. Retired from Marines after 26 years. Divorced but have two wonderful kids that live in Lafayette, La

Where are ya?
    Originally from Tennessee but after traveling around the world a few time I finally settled in ORLANDO, FLORIDA.

What do you do?
    Usually nothing but my boss catches me sometimes and expects me to work for my paycheck! I work at Universal Studios.

How long shooting?
    Can't remember that far back! Since I was a child many moons ago. First real camera was a Canon AE-1 I think. I have since switched to Nikons and Mamiya.

Hobbist or Pro?
    Since I do a lot of things for people and businesses for $$ I guess you could say a freelance Pro.

What else?
    I like to shoot just about everything. Love doing people, animals, landscapes, etc. Did a lot of military stuff in the Marines. I now do a lot for the Hooter's Restaurants in my spare time. Tough job but someone has to do it!
  • Options
    fmkjrfmkjr Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Who am I?
    Who are ya?

Frank
    My smugmug page is: here
    I participate in the daily photos: Daily photos

Where are ya?
    Chippewa Twp, PA Which is north of Pittsburgh, PA and within a few miles from the Ohio border.
    What do ya do?
    Manager with a fortune 100 company (started with the co. in the mid 70's). A very good job which keeps be busy and constantly learning.
    How long shootin?
    I picked up my first SLR in '74... Right out of high school I purchased a Minolta SRT201 which I used to document life (including my girls growing up) until 2001 when I purchased my first digital camera. Later in 2001 I purchased a Sony F707 when my grandaughter was born and that was when I seriously got back "into" photography.

Hobbist or Pro?
    I shoot 1-2 events per weekend. However, nearly every event I shoot is volunteer. I have shot two weddings this year as a second shooter. My five year goal is to retire from my current position and have a photography business profitable by the time I retire.

What else?
    Photography is a serious passion for me. I enjoy most types of photography but find the greatest joy in capturing the beauty that God has given to us in nature. The second type of photography I enjoy is event photography (mainly weddings). This is due to the joy and laughter found at most events. clap.gif

My favorite photography quote:
    Photography is too much fun to be considered legal.

ps great thread!

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Psalms 19:1
    We now need to not destroy it and capture its beauty for all to behold.

http://www.kendralla.com
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I'm an editor and writer for a magazine at NASA.

Do you work at headquarters? I used to work at the OCC which is next door and often ate lunch at NASA. Two photographers who passed in the lunch line...?
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2007
    Who are ya?

Gary Glass. 47, married, 2 teenage kids, 1 simpleton cat.

Where are ya?

Charlottesville, Virginia. Born in Terre Haute, Indiana. Lived a lot in Bloomington, Indiana. (Went to IU.) Lived in Asia a couple of years (Japan and Taiwan).

What do ya do?

Computer programmer. I've worked for all kinds of companies, but mostly seem to gravitate toward start ups. Haven't struck gold yet, but maybe this time...

I've done lots of other things too. Was a nurse for a while.

How long shootin?

Can't remember when I got my first camera. I was maybe 10? It was one of those little Kodak box cameras that took 126 film. I've had a camera almost always ever since, except when I was in Asia, for some damn reason. Imagine being in the Himalayas without a camera! What was I thinking? I really only started to seriously study technique a few years ago. Before that I guess I just shot on instinct.

Hobbist or Pro?

Not trying to make money at it, if that's what you mean. Pros shoot for different reasons under different constraints. I just want to chase whatever inspires me.

What else?

I have three degrees, but my first was in English literature, because I wanted to be a writer. I've written three novels. None of them have been published yet. That is so wrong.

I have several websites, but I'm lazy about doing much with them:

Photos: http://shutterglass.com
    Blog: http://glassification.com
    Novel: http://onlybegotten.com

I'm reading Proust.

I've been watching a lot of Italian movies lately.

I'm worried about peak oil.
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    Born in Terre Haute, Indiana.

I do a bit of work based out of Terre Haute and always enjoy my time when I'm there.

Nice town and good young crowd of people.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    lbphotographylbphotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    This has been an interesting thread to read through.

Who are ya?
    I'm Vicky, 32 and lovin' it! I am married & a mom to 2 (girl-9, boy-6).

Where are ya?
    Currently living in Southern MD. I am a native Texan and my husband grew up in FL. We are both looking forward to living in TX some day. We are a military family and came here by way of CO (where my daughter was born) then England (where my son was born).

What do ya do?
    I am blessed in that I can stay home with my babies. My entire working career lasted a total of 4 years and 8 months. Those 4 years were spent serving in the Air Force, where I met my husband. Once we moved to England I quit working to stay home with the kids and haven't gone back since. I like it that way! Besides being a wife and mother, I am also a college student. It's taken me a while to get here so I am only working on my Associates, and I don't go full time (until this semester that is) so it's taking me longer to complete then usual. My current major is Art/photography - the only problem with that is I am attending the local community college and they really don't have very many photography classes. I'm hoping that will change soon though.

How long shootin?
    Since about 2000, so 7 years now. I have always had a passion for photography but didn't get my first decent camera till I got married and moved to England. My husband also loves photography and so over the years we have slowly upgraded our equipment and have been using Canon for about 6 years. I just upgraded to the Rebel XTi and my hubby uses a D60. Our business name is Lynn Burton Photography, which is comprised of our middle names. We use a SmugMug Pro account which can be found here. There are more galleries that need to be added, so it's not complete yet.

Hobbyist or Pro?
    It's currently a hobby, but we would love to make this into our own business some day. As I said, I am working on my degree right now and mainly that was so I could learn more of the technical areas of photography. My passion is nature/travel photography, but I have recently been working on learning more portraiture (studio/candid) as well as event photography. I just invested in a mobile studio, and when I get more comfortable with it all I hope to start getting my name out there.

What else?
    Not much really. I love to read when I'm not busy with everything else that's going on. I love to travel whenever possible (currently have a trip to the Dominican Republic planned, and hoping it won't get cancelled due to a hurricane). I enjoy volunteering at my kids' school and love spending time with my family.

It's been great "meeting" all of you!
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    Do you work at headquarters? I used to work at the OCC which is next door and often ate lunch at NASA. Two photographers who passed in the lunch line...?

I work from home most of the time, but I do run up to HQ once every couple weeks. I grab lunch there sometimes, though the food on the 9th floor is better. Or I would go to the Roosevelt building around the corner. :D

I love these "small world" moments. clap.gif
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Nice To Meet You All of You also....(Such wonderful reading, so interesting)

PS: I absolutely loved England, didn't go to London though...Laughing.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Marisa - A Post Surgical Suggestion
    Madrid wrote:
    Very first, thank you Liywellon, HoofClix, Pat, and Tentation for your wishes. Once I get well, I will take revenge against the camera and wildly click and participate rolleyes1.gif . Oh! I have to warn everyone that I still use Spanish expression unporposely, so if I say something that doesn't make any sense, please ask me or forgive me.

Hola, Marisa!

Yo hablo un pocito Espanol, so go right ahead, maybe I'll learn something:D.

Regarding the coming surgery, if the problem was properly diagnosed and you have a good surgeon, you will probably feel immensely better afterwards. If you are interested, post-surgical recovery could likely be much enhanced with some CranioSacral therapy. You could request some sessions with a physical therapist trained in it, if there are any on staff.

You can search for a local practitioner using this link: http://www.iahp.com/pages/search/index.php where you can choose different therapeutic modalities - CranioSacral therapy and Visceral manipulation are the ones I'm familiar with and use in practice, and are both very gentle and non-invasive. You can find out more than you would want to know about CST from this Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosacral_therapy

Regardless whether you have any interest in these things or not, I wish you a successful surgery and recovery and lots of happy shooting when most of the dust settles.

Blessings, Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• Options
    edited August 19, 2007
    I do a bit of work based out of Terre Haute and always enjoy my time when I'm there. Nice town and good young crowd of people.

Yipes! I'll never go back.
  • Options
    drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Greetings from Oregon!
    Who are ya?
    Currently identified as Dane, a spiritual being having a human experience on this most interesting planet. This includes a good marriage going on twenty years, and two terrific daughters from a former life. This body just turned 61, and sometimes when I'm lugging 20+ pounds of photo gear up a steep hill, it feels that way, too! mwink.gif

Where are ya?
    Ashland, Oregon, in the Pacific Northwest. Grew up in California with a love for nature. Moved to St Louis for Chiropractic College, then on to Minneapolis, MN where I lived for about 21 years, suffering from topographical deficiency (serious lack of mountains). I would get up to Lake Superior (awesome place thumb.gif) or travel to the Black Hills of SD or the Rockies whenever I had the chance. My wife and I sold our home in 2003, (after my youngest graduated from high school and left for Stanford) and hit the road with a minivan and a tiny trailer. Oh, yes, and a shiny new Canon Digital Rebel and a laptop computer with Photoshop Elements!

We were looking for "our place" (one that had mountains) and thought it would only take about 3-6 months. Hah! Two years later, after many wonderful travels, we settled in Ashland, with lots of respectable mountains and even bigger ones, like Mt. Shasta in Calif, or Crater Lake, within an hour or two drive.

What do ya do?
    We're still in "temporary" retirement, aside from a little healing work. I'm still licensed as a Chiropractor in MN, but don't really do much of that these days. I use mostly other alternative healing modalities.

Since that fateful day in 2003, most of my time has been devoted to this photographic passion, which for the time being at least, I have the privelege of indulging. wings.gif

How long shootin?
    I bought my first camera, a Pentax SLR with a manual light meter mounted on top, in Japan at age 19 (1965), when I was in the Navy. Got pretty serious about it for a while when I was an undergrad in college, spending many happy hours in the darkroom, but later sold my then extensive Pentax system when I needed money for Chiropractic College. I later bought another SLR, but didn't have the passion about learning that I'd had before, and it gathered a lot of dust. When I got the DSLR in '03, it all came back in spades, the passion, that is. clap.gif

Hobbyist or Pro?
    Wannabe Pro - now I just need to find a way to get people to pay me for doing what I love to do - mostly nature photography and now a developing interest the human-nature-spirritual relationship. Anyone interested in doing a little mentoring in this regard would be welcomed, since I'm not very good at marketing!bowdown.gif

What else?
    From my website:

Mission

"I feel the most important challenge for humanity at this juncture does not lie in conquering anything. That time is past, or soon will be. What lies before us now is the challenge of raising our consciousness and opening our hearts in regards to our relationships with ourselves and each other, with Spirit, and with this beautiful planet we call home. I want to help people remember their innate connection with Mother Nature and with each other.

It is crucial that we make the leap from seeing ourselves as separate individuals trying to survive and hoard as much as we can get, to a higher vision. We need to experience ourselves as integral parts of a larger, exquisitely interconnected whole, whose well being depends on mutual respect, cooperation and sharing.

My mission is to make that leap fully myself, and to help others to do the same. I offer my photography and healing work as my personal contributions to this enormous, exciting, and (at times) painful & frightening process of myself and humanity waking up."

In Gratitude for this Forum and it's Inhabitants,

Dane
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

• Options
    willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Who are ya?
    Willa (never would've guessed that from my username would ya?)
    34 y/o, happily married 14 years, 5 kids (4 boys, 1 girl) ages 5,6,8,10 & 12

Where are ya?
    Northwest GA

What do ya do?
    Laundry. Lots of it.mwink.gif

Full time mom. Homeschooling the 2 youngest, chase the other three around to the many sports and other activities they're involved in.

How long shootin?
    Hmmm. . .off and on since I got my first little 110 when I was about 9. Had an SLR in HS and early college, but it bit the dust and couldn't afford to replace it for a long time. Point and shoot for a while after that. Then three years ago DH got me my DSLR for our anniversary, and I've been completely addicted ever since.

Hobbist or Pro?
    Like most on this board so far, I'm falling a bit in between. Right now I would not feel right calling myself a pro, but I have made a *little* bit of money, and I would definitely love to get to a place in the future where I could supplement our income with my photography, particularly since photography provides me with so many opportunities to make money while spending MORE time with my kids rather than less (shooting their sporting events, etc)

What else?
    I am SO grateful for smugmug. It is pure genius, and this forum is wonderful. I have so little time to really devote to learning better photography right now, due to kids/family I can't realistically spend the time or money to take classes, so I am incredibly grateful to have such a rich, helpful resource right here. You guys are so GOODbowdown.gif , so helpful, but so gentle and encouraging. Thanks!!clap.gif
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
  • Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2007
    Who are ya?: It's in my sig but, in case you missed, my name is Aaron. I'm 27 but, have been told I am an "old soul" mwink.gif Have a wonderful girlfriend of 2 and a half years that I currently live with, along with her 7yo daughter.

Where are ya?: Born, raised, and currently living in Southern Maine.

What do ya do?:
    I'm kind of a "Jack of all trades" for a hotel located on the coast of Maine, handling everything from reservations to IT issues.

How long shootin?: Did nothing but snapshot photography for the past 15 or so years until this past Winter when I got my D50. I had always been into art, primarily drawing and painting, but never felt I could quite fully express myself. Having "discovered" photography, I am now COMPLETELY hooked. I have since purchased a few other cameras and am starting to learn film techniques and hope to set up a darkroom sometime soon.

Hobbist or Pro?: Hobbiest for now. I have received quite a bit of interest in prints of my work, though I have not actively pursued it yet as I feel I still have a lot to learn. I don't see myself ever getting into studio or contract work but, working in a small artist community, my goal is to get some work shown and maybe be able to earn a little suplimental income in one or more of the local galleries, though this is a WAYS dow the road from now.

What else?: I have been told I am rather intense and intimidating in person, though I'm not sure why as I'm kind of the quiet hermit type ne_nau.gif I spend most of my time reading, editing pics, or out in the woods. My favorite quote sums it up, "[SIZE=-1]I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.[/SIZE]" Thoreau
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Who are ya?: My name's Tanveer. I am 28 years old, and live with my wife. Been married for over 2 years. Known her since school(12 years)

Where are ya?: I belong to a town call Ludhiana, which is in Punjab, the "farming" state of India. I work in Noida, which is actually a suburb of New Delhi. Currently in SFO Bay area on a short trip. This is quite a beautyful country you guys got!. I have never seen sands so white.

What do ya do?:
    Well I am a VLSI guy, working for a company which makes software for VLSI companies.

How long shootin?: 1.5 year I should say, though cameras have always facinated me. Before this I had the powershot A20.

Hobbist or Pro?: Hobby all the way. Pro? Maybe some day when I retire, till then its hobby hobby all the way

What else?: My other passion is Automobiles. I am a moderator at the forum team-bhp.com. You can call me car crazy. I am droolin all the time in california and my T-shirts a full of spit. Seeing a ferrari is like seeing God!
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Ya had me for a moment!
    stirfry wrote:
    Where are ya?
    I'm in the only US state permitted to fly its state flag at the same height as the national flag. Ready, set, GOOGLE! :baldy

As an oldtimer who still respects the flag and trys to follow proper flag etiquette I had never heard this and had to check it out. Here is what I found at www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html.

red.gif Is Texas's the only state flag allowed to fly at the same height as the US flag?
    No, this is an urban legend. All state flags may fly at the same height as the U.S. flag. The U.S. flag must be on its right (the viewer's left), however. Texas's laws are consistent with those of the other states. See Texas flag code.

Thank you though for giving me a reason to revisit the flag code and refresh my memory. As a Viet Nam era vet, the son of an army sgt and the father of an army sgt, my heart breaks when I see folks who disrespect our flag.

Hinson
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    Who are ya?:
    I am Gary Ayala. Fifty-ish, divorced, father of two wonderful, (when they choose to be), well-adjusted, smart & talented, beautiful, daughters. (My life has been pretty much a roller-coaster ride ...)

Where are ya?:
    Southern California. Born and raised in Chino, about 30 miles due east of Los Angeles. First home was in Rancho Palos Verdes now residing in La Mirada. I have lived in Japan, Korea, France and traveled/worked on five out of seven continents.

What do ya do?:
    I do consulting. I've merged from environmental engineering to construction management.

How long shootin?:
    My first exposure to photography was in the sixth grade. Armed with my uncle's Mamiya Sekor, my cousin and I walked around town and shot everything ... dead or alive. We developed and printed in the bathroom. I decided at that point that photography was cool and that to be a photo journalist would be a great way to make a living.

Hobbist or Pro?:
    Presently, photography is a hobby. For a decade ana half I worked as a photo journalist for major market daily newspapers in Southern California and overseas wire service.

What else?:
    I have the greatest dog in the world (... an I can juggle.)
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Who are ya?:
    I'm Peter (you can guess the surname). Just turned 40 last year and got a DSLR as a reward mwink.gif I've been married 16 years to my wonderful Chinese wife and have two beautiful daughters 4 & 7, who seem to be growing up way too fast.

I'm British by birth, not by choice, so don't hold it against me rolleyes1.gif

Where are ya?:
    I'm currently living in South East Asia in the Philippines (been here 3 years), which is probably the most beautiful, unvisited place ever. The lack of infrastructure makes it a tough destination to travel around for the average traveler, but for those who do, it's an amazing experience. We will be here for a lot longer (if I don't get fired from my job!)

I spent 18 years in Hong Kong, initially working as a Christian missionary with drug addicts, triad members and street sleepers. Ended up working for Cathay Pacific Airways helping design their various websites. Had a myriad of jobs in between.

Before that I lived in Holland with my parents. I did say I was British by birth not by choice!

What do ya do?:
    I'm currently a"e-Collaboration Manager" which means I get to do a lot with e-business kind of stuff. Not very exciting, but quite interesting in a weird sort of wayeek7.gif

When I'm not working, taking photos or hanging out with my family, I play golf. I used to fly power kites, until I broke my arm and I realized thayt I'm not 15 anymore! :cry

How long shootin?:
    I owned my first camera when I was 17 and had a lot of fun in the darkroom! It was only since I got my DSLR 8 months ago when I really started to "learn" about how to take good photographs - which is the main reason I joined this wonderful group of great photographers bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Hobbist or Pro?:
    A hobby and always will be. I'm blessed with enough time to "learn" and shoot at the moment as well as have a good job.

I have only sold one photo, of a volcano here in the Philippines, for a commercial product in the UK - after my head stopped swelling and returned to it's normal size, I realized that I wouldn't be doing that everyday so I should keep my day job and just keep enjoying capturing the moments :-)

What else?:
    That's about it really. I'm really looking forward to learn more from all of you while keeping it fun - not always an easy thing to do, as I tend to get too serous about myself!
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I had to be one of the lurkers to make a post. I used to be on smugmug, left for a bit but came back because the set-up really is awesome. I have watched the amazing talent in this contest from the early stages. It's great and you guys are amazing. So since us lurkers can feel like we know you, here is a lurker!

Who are ya?
    My name is Karen and I am the just not 30 anymore, the 3 was replaced by a 4, nagging partner to one and mother of two boys and a girl - all either in their teens or heading there. Hooley dooley! I was a solo parent for near on 8 years. Tough but life making times.

Where are ya?
    In the Blue Mountains, Australia. The area is gorgeous but rugged. The mists are what I linger for! The waterfalls need to grow UP the mountains, not down.

What do ya do?
    As someone else said, a lot of laundry! It never stops! I cook badly, stay up too late, love to listen to music, talk too much and have numerous kettles on the boil at one time. I am mother and partner first, the rest is the rest of my day. I also have studied astrology and write a horoscope. There's something different to the mix and have done so for the last 4 years or so!

How long shootin?
    Twenty years I reckon. I started when I worked on a cruise ship in my 20's around the South Pacific. Then it was time to have babies. I started again and sold many landscapes in my late 20's and was heading towards adding portraits/weddings but kind of lost my gear in the separation. OUCH! Started again in the digital realm which has been a huge learning curve from film. Still learning and mesmerised by how much more you can do. Exciting!

Hobbist or Pro?
    Amateur always. I do some weddings and have sold some things but it is such a learning curve, I could never count myself as a pro. I contribue to a European art service which rocks my world as well. All that dark light and mood. Nifty.

What else?

I like to look at the pictures!!!! Can you ever get bored looking at other people's work? I can't!
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    OK, my turn
    Who are ya?
    I'm Linda and I'm fifty-something years old. Been married since 1980. :eek1 I was born in the U.S. and speak English, Estonian, and German.

Where are ya?
    I live on the east coast U.S. in New Hope, Pennsylvania.

What do ya do?
    I work as a technical writer for a publisher of financial and business news. I don't make the big bucks writing news articles, but I do write documentation that helps those folks do their job. That's my day job and I need that to support my music and photography habits. I'm also a freelance musician and play piano and clarinet professionally. Just last year I started taking mandolin lessons for fun and I'm having a blast with them.

How long shootin?
    On and off since I was a kid. The cost of film and developing made this go in spurts. Upon getting a digital camera about 5-6 years ago I started shooting more regularly. Currently I own a Canon EOS20D and a Canon SD900.

Hobbist or Pro?
    Definitely still a hobbyist. Too much to learn still. Have made a some $$ selling photos but I'm not going to quit my day job just yet.

What else?
    I retired from the NJ Army National Guard in 2003 after 23.5 years of service. I was a musician in the National Guard all those years.

I love studing other peoples' photography to see how they see the world. :):
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    I can't believe I just noticed this thread. hmmm. Too busy with with these mind games that Shay has given us.

Who are ya?

Heather. I am married to a wonderfully patient man who doesn't complain when I make him stop frequently (and often suddenly) to take pictures when we travel.

Where are ya?
    Washington state, but I travel all over the northwest. I am originally from Idaho so all the posts from SaltFork just make me homesick.

What do ya do?
    I am DoctorIt junior in training. Except for I am working on thermodynamics which is much easier than non-newtonian fluids. This is a backup career in case the photography doesn't pan out.

How long shootin?
    11 years since I took my first photography class, which is a long time for someone under 30. :D

Hobbist or Pro?
    Pro whannabe. I am mostly just trying to earn extra money for school, but the more the better.

What else?
    I really really really like to snowboard. Is it winter yet?
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    OK, I’ll bite.

Who are ya?
    I'm Kevin, 42, no children, a wonderful girlfriend of 8 years, 2 cats, a few bicycles and way, way too many other interests.

Where are ya?
    Western suburbs of Chicago, Illinois.

What do ya do?
    My one sentence answer is "I build toys for scientists". I design, build, modify and fix the systems used to study nuclear structure (protons, neutrons). It’s varied, often creative work. I’m never bored and usually have fun at my job.

How long shootin?
    When I was about 13, an uncle gave my father a bag of old screw mount lenses and a couple GAF slr's (yes, the viewmaster people). I promptly absconded with most of it. I used the GAF until the shutter finally collapsed. I bought a Pentax slr and went on from there. Once I got out of college I got rather busy and took only travel snapshots for years. I picked up a digital P&S a few years ago but it wasn’t until I bought a DSLR last December that I got interested again in photography.

Hobbyist or Pro?
    I worked for a photographer while in college, made some money and spent most of it on camera gear, beer and pizza. I’m a hobbyist. I have a lot to learn and relearn. I’ll just work on that for a while.

What else?
    Quick to laugh. I like to watch the sunset. Not too crazy about being up for the sunrise. I like good food. I eat my own cooking, still like mom’s better. Spend a lot of time riding bikes (see the part above about food). I recently completed the restoration of a 1960 Mini Cooper. I spend way to much time reading stuff online and looking at other peoples gorgeous pictures and not out trying to make my own…..
  • Options
    menebomenebo Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Who are ya?
    My name is Michelle (late 30's)and I have been married for 13 years, have a golden retriever of the same age and three smart and wonderful girlies.

Where are ya?
    I live in Issaquah, WA...20 minutes east of Seattle.

What do ya do?
    I'm a full time mom and part time photographer.

How long shootin?
    I took a class in highschool and really enjoyed it, but I didn't pick it up again until I had my first baby. Actually, I really got into it when I was pregnant with my second daughter. I read "How to Photograph Your Baby" by Nick Kelsh while I was 8 mos pregnant standing in a coffee shop. Tells you how quick a read it was! That book changed my life. What simple, easy ideas to take great pictures! All of the pictures on my website (www.enebophoto.com) were taken with window light in my kitchen (yes I made my clients sit on the floor!) but I have since started using lights (the weather in the Pacific NW is too gray to rely on good natural light alone) so I've had to come over to the 'dark' side and start using strobes. It's a challenge.

Hobbist or Pro?
    I get paid to take pictures so I guess that makes me pro, but I still have so much to learn that I have trouble with that definition. I have photographed more than 500 families. My photography pays for all of our fun vacations, extras like computers and covers all those 'unforseen' expenses (like car crunches!) and I am so blessed!

What else?
    I shoot film for all my clients because it is much more forgiving than my digital camera. DGrin is really making me think creatively and try out all sorts of new things with my camera. LOVE IT! (Maybe someday I switch over for my business.)