Options

The Watermark Thread

Comments

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I must say my first adventure in watermarking went swimmingly. Have a look see in this gallery.

Okay - How'd ya do it? I can do the clear embossed look in CS2 but not sure how to create this look for my SM watermark.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I must say my first adventure in watermarking went swimmingly. Have a look see in this gallery.
    VERY NICE Mike! clap.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Okay - How'd ya do it? I can do the clear embossed look in CS2 but not sure how to create this look for my SM watermark.

Here you go, a tutorial all about creating the clear beveled watermark look in photoshop and using that as your watermark on your smugmug site. Enjoy. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Here you go, a tutorial all about creating the clear beveled watermark look in photoshop and using that as your watermark on your smugmug site. Enjoy. thumb.gif

3 attemps & 2 hours later i still cant get it...god i hate computers. Anyone else got this going from mikes plan ?
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    gus wrote:
    3 attemps & 2 hours later i still cant get it...god i hate computers. Anyone else got this going from mikes plan ?

Worked like a charm for me thumb.gif THANKS MIKE clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Gus - make sure you do some additional work, such as emboss, to your text after you remove the fill.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    gus wrote:
    How can I help Gus? Do you have your attempts up online somewhere? ear.gif

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    I think we should all just use Mike's example. Straight to the point. rolleyes1.gif

Got my old PS action tweaked to generate a nice watermark & with a minor hiccup it works great. The hiccup? For whatever reason the preview & list of current watermarks shows me nothing, but after applying it I'm seeing what I expect. In the end, my images are marked so I'm not going to worry much about it--likely user error somewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    I think we should all just use Mike's example. Straight to the point. rolleyes1.gif

Got my old PS action tweaked to generate a nice watermark & with a minor hiccup it works great. The hiccup? For whatever reason the preview & list of current watermarks shows me nothing, but after applying it I'm seeing what I expect. In the end, my images are marked so I'm not going to worry much about it--likely user error somewhere.

11doh.gif An action! That would have been so simple and obvious!

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2006
    OMG!!! SM has watermarking!!! And a bunch of other features!!! I'm so happy I almost cried when I saw the blog! clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif1drink.gif:): iloveyou.gif

Now I have to find the time to set up all the new features. eek7.gif:D
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2006
    Another H2o marking Question
    My portfolio gallery is not watermarked at this time but I have set a water mark for my "Art for your WAlls" gallery....but I find that when I move a copy from portfolio to Art..... gallery they are not watermarked.
    Do I have to do a completely new upload for the watermaking to happen?
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited August 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    My portfolio gallery is not watermarked at this time but I have set a water mark for my "Art for your WAlls" gallery....but I find that when I move a copy from portfolio to Art..... gallery they are not watermarked.
    Do I have to do a completely new upload for the watermaking to happen?
    Not a new upload, but for photos you've moved, that aren't watermarked, you can use the watermark tool under photo tools after you've moved it. OK?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Not a new upload, but for photos you've moved, that aren't watermarked, you can use the watermark tool under photo tools after you've moved it. OK?
    Thanks for the tip - worked for my galleries where the watermark setting just wouldn't do anything. So far turning on the watermark gallery wide worked only on new galleries for me. Any idea why?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

EDIT: PS: The manual watermarking function via photo tools also watermarks pictures of just 800x600! Haven't tried it for smaller pictures yet, but I would like how this turns out.

EDIT2: You can even upsample a 800x600 picture to any picture size you like with still having the watermark on.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Okay here's something with watermarking/custom size I don't understand:

With originals turned off the 1000px wide picture and even the 1600px one has a watermark - of course these are upsampled from the 800px large image. (gallery link).

BUT when I turn on originals the 1600px wide picture doesn't have a watermark anymore, while the 1000px one still has it. (gallery link).
    Why isn't my bigger photo protected anymore? That confused me a lot as I wanted to use a bigger photo for ebay, but then it hadn't my name on it anymore. I ended up uploading a manually watermarked photo.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Trish323Trish323 Registered Users Posts: 908 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    SM won't upload PNG watermark...
    ..Followed Andy's tut for watermark.(Thank you!)..saved for web and as png. file...but smugmug won't allow png. upload..when uploaded as JPG the background is not transparent....was a step missing in the tut or more likely......what did I miss???
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Trish323 wrote:
    ..Followed Andy's tut for watermark.(Thank you!)..saved for web and as png. file...but smugmug won't allow png. upload..when uploaded as JPG the background is not transparent....was a step missing in the tut or more likely......what did I miss???
    if you use the drag and drop method of upload SM will take it.....I could not get send to SM to do it though...
    Than view as original and you should see the transparent version...
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2006
    if you use the drag and drop method of upload SM will take it.....I could not get send to SM to do it though...
    Than view as original and you should see the transparent version...

The drag and drop doesn't work for png eitherne_nau.gif
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2006
    Trish323 wrote:
    The drag and drop doesn't work for png eitherne_nau.gif
    I used the universal drag and drop w/ multiple successes.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2006
    Trish323 wrote:
    Use the universal Drag and Drop, with a png-24 file. If you are still haveing trouble, Trish, email it to the help desk we'll take a look at it.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2006
    I used the universal drag and drop w/ multiple successes.

Thank you!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Use the universal Drag and Drop, with a png-24 file. If you are still haveing trouble, Trish, email it to the help desk we'll take a look at it.

Hi Andy!

Thanks. Maybe add that little tidbit of info on the watermarking tutorial?

Good work at SmugMug! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    What if you do NOT want digital downloads
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you turn OFF the ability for people to purchase digital downloads?

Even though I put zero (or no price) in the price column for the digital downloads I still see that users can purchase the 1MP personal download. For some galleries I don't want ANY downloads.
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Daddio wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you turn OFF the ability for people to purchase digital downloads?

Even though I put zero (or no price) in the price column for the digital downloads I still see that users can purchase the 1MP personal download. For some galleries I don't want ANY downloads.
    Are you logged on ?
    Try logging out and purchasing a photo.

Dna
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Daddio wrote:

Hi, gallery link please?
  • Options
    DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Ahhh...now I get it. Big difference between setting the price to ZERO vs. leaving it blank.

Sorry, thought I'd tried that already!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    So here we go. I've found the time to try playing with some watermarking. clap.gif

I have a logo that is basically a graphic version of text typed in a particular font. The original format is a bmp. I do not have the font. I can cut and paste this into any other graphic format using irfanview. I do not have any other graphics program other than windows paint. eek7.gif

What I want to do is make this embossed into the photos like VH1 used to do on TV back in the day. (If anyone actually remembers that. rolleyes1.gif) If that's too complicated, I'd just want a translucent version of the logo that I can place in the corner of every photo.

Any assistance appreciated. I'm not sure how the whole clear thing can be done with the limited tools I have. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    SamirD wrote:
    So here we go. I've found the time to try playing with some watermarking. clap.gif

I have a logo that is basically a graphic version of text typed in a particular font. The original format is a bmp. I do not have the font. I can cut and paste this into any other graphic format using irfanview. I do not have any other graphics program other than windows paint. eek7.gif

What I want to do is make this embossed into the photos like VH1 used to do on TV back in the day. (If anyone actually remembers that. rolleyes1.gif) If that's too complicated, I'd just want a translucent version of the logo that I can place in the corner of every photo.

Any assistance appreciated. I'm not sure how the whole clear thing can be done with the limited tools I have. ne_nau.gif
    Great question for the Finishing School. Post it there, the experts can let you know. I don't know about Irfanview, I'm sorry...
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Great question for the Finishing School. Post it there, the experts can let you know. I don't know about Irfanview, I'm sorry...
    Thank you for the quick reply Andy. I'll post it there and see what happens. I can't wait to get started on having everything watermarked. I'm sure I'll gain quite a bit of referral traffic from all the sites where my photos are linked. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    11doh.gif An action! That would have been so simple and obvious!

I got your action right here.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I got your action right here.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif That just didn't sound right when I first saw it in my email...
  • Options
    HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Watermark not applied to all photos in gallery
    This gallery had a watermark applied to all photos using the watermark option in Photo Tools. Two pictures in the gallery were not updated. If you select one of the individual pictures and look at Photo Tools, the Watermark option is not there.

I selected a different picture, selected the watermark tool and tried to apply it again to the two affected pictures, but it still doesn't show. Any idea what's happening here? I've got at least one other gallery with the same problem.

Thanks