Options

The Watermark Thread

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Try something like 200pt Myriad, but really, any font will do...

Don't give up!

There in lies the problem....I can only go up to 72pt...I guess I'll have to start saving the pennies for CS2.....eek7.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I've played with the watermarking quite a bit, but I have never gotten one to fit over the image the way I like it, in both Landscape and Portrait. I'm thinking about giving up......headscratch.gif

I made my diagonal and it seems to work on both landscape and portrait for my needs
    117443088-M-1.jpg
    126250081-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    There in lies the problem....I can only go up to 72pt...I guess I'll have to start saving the pennies for CS2.....eek7.gif
    Try typing in the # or just use image>image size> and increase the size :D
  • Options
    The Scribe of LightThe Scribe of Light Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Well, this may be obvious to some.
    ....but it's my first time putting something up that I hope to sell images.

The watermarks - they're for online viewing only right? They go away on the print right? As long as I use the watermark feature in the gallery and don't add it myself that is.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2007
    ....but it's my first time putting something up that I hope to sell images.

The watermarks - they're for online viewing only right? They go away on the print right? As long as I use the watermark feature in the gallery and don't add it myself that is.

Thanks
    Correct thumb.gif
  • Options
    David TomicDavid Tomic Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    I'm not sure if this has already been raised yet [I haven't been able to read all 10 pages of this thread], but I'm having issues with custom watermarks & replacing photos.

It seems theat when I replace a photo, SmugMug defaults back to the standard 'proof' watermark for the shot, instead of using the same watermark I had before.

That means that I then have to go and manually re-apply the watermark for each shot as well.

I'd just like to know if this is something which you're already aware of, and whether it's something that's likely to get fixed/changed?
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    I'm not sure if this has already been raised yet [I haven't been able to read all 10 pages of this thread], but I'm having issues with custom watermarks & replacing photos.

It seems theat when I replace a photo, SmugMug defaults back to the standard 'proof' watermark for the shot, instead of using the same watermark I had before.

That means that I then have to go and manually re-apply the watermark for each shot as well.

I'd just like to know if this is something which you're already aware of, and whether it's something that's likely to get fixed/changed?
    Hi David, link me to a photo in question, please? It doesn't work that way for me. What gallery, too - I need to see the gallery settings you have for watermarking :D
  • Options
    David TomicDavid Tomic Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi David, link me to a photo in question, please?
    I've already [manually] re-applied the correct watermark to the shots.
    It doesn't work that way for me. What gallery, too - I need to see the gallery settings you have for watermarking :D
    Watermaking isn't enabled by default in the gallery, because I'm using different watermarks for different shots.

Does that have something to do with it perhaps?

FWIW though, the gallery is here.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2007
    I've already [manually] re-applied the correct watermark to the shots.

Watermaking isn't enabled by default in the gallery, because I'm using different watermarks for different shots.

Does that have something to do with it perhaps?

FWIW though, the gallery is here.
    Replace photo will only take the watermark that's defined in the gallery settings. Otherwise, it'll use the default PROOF watermark.
  • Options
    Chris_SChris_S Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Hi, I though I would share how I created a custom watermark that would work with both light or dark images.

I basically used an Arial font with an outline using these instructions:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690196
    and
    http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903

I'll quote below for easier access:
    Here is my method making a font outline where I'm able to apply effects to the outline without effecting the appearance of the font itself.

1. Open a new document (CTRL+N)

2. Type anything you wish.

3. Go to Select\Load Selection and then press OK and you should have a selection around the font you just typed.

4. Go to Select\Modify\Expand\ and type in a value of about 3 and press OK

5. Now press CTRL+SHIFT+N and press OK to create a new layer.

6. Now get a big paintbrush and paint it the color you want the outline to appear.

7. After you have finished painting the outline layer, just drag the text layer on top of the outline layer you just created.

8. Now you can apply effects to the outline layer without making changes to the actual font itself.

examples:

7557945-M-1.jpg

51671476-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2007
    Horizonal vs. Vertical
    My watermarking works perfectly...most of the time.

I've noticed that 480x640 (vertical photos) get properly watermarked, but 640x480 (horizontal) will not! I have to load a larger horizontal file, then the watermark takes...why?

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    No Watermark on 'originals'
    I also notice that watermarks do not show up on 'original' size photos. I guess that's truly the original file, right? There is no way to allow the customer to see the photo at the original resolution (substantially larger than a 'large' photo) but with a watermark? Seems like the original size (resolution) is exactly the photo you want to protect.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    I also notice that watermarks do not show up on 'original' size photos. I guess that's truly the original file, right? There is no way to allow the customer to see the photo at the original resolution (substantially larger than a 'large' photo) but with a watermark? Seems like the original size (resolution) is exactly the photo you want to protect.
    No, because we print from the originals - and then there'd be no way to print w/out the watermark.

Most pros block originals and only show larges. I don't have a better answer for you, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2007
    What about 640x480
    Np...I figured that. Thanks.

What about the Horiz vs. Vert. question???
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Np...I figured that. Thanks.

What about the Horiz vs. Vert. question???

Andy...any thoughts about this? Is there a difference in the minimum resolution for horizontals vs. verticals?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2007
    Bump
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Horizonal vs. Vertical

I've noticed that 480x640 (vertical photos) get properly watermarked, but 640x480 (horizontal) will not! I have to load a larger horizontal file, then the watermark takes...why?

- Gary.
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Andy...any thoughts about this? Is there a difference in the minimum resolution for horizontals vs. verticals?

Andy?????
  • Options
    Bourbon CowboyBourbon Cowboy Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Perhaps someone can help me with this problem. I can't get the "PROOF" to go away. I've turned off the watermark option in the galleries, but it's still there. I'm using the right-click protection, and I feel that's enough (I think). Any ideas?
    Mark
    Bodies: D700/D300/D50/D50IR/F100/FE2. Lights: SB-900/700; SU-800; SD-9; SB-400.
    AF Lenses:14-24; 24-70; 70-200; 28-105; 28-200G; 18-70; 70-300VR; 35/2; 300 2.8 AF; Tamron 17-35, & 90mm; Sigma 50 1.4.
    Old School: 75-150 Series E; 200 f/4 Ai'd; 135 2.8 Ai'd; 85 1.8 Ai'd; 50 1.4 Ai'd; 28 3.5 Ai'd.
    Cool Stuff: Wacom Intous3, CS3, LR2, Bogen 3021 & Super Repro, Arca Swiss B1, etc.
    www.theprintsofdarkness.net
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Perhaps someone can help me with this problem. I can't get the "PROOF" to go away. I've turned off the watermark option in the galleries, but it's still there. I'm using the right-click protection, and I feel that's enough (I think). Any ideas?

Turning on or off the watermarking option in your gallery preferences just affects whether or not new images uploaded to that gallery are automatically watermarked. It has no affect on the presence or lack thereof of a watermark on the images that are already in the gallery.

After logging in to your site go to the gallery with the problem. Once there you need to select the watermarking option on the <photo tools> drop down menu in your gallery. Then you need to Select All, then choose the Remove option, and then click on Watermark. Wait a few minutes and refresh your screen. Your photos should start showing without the "PROOF".

171512365-L-LB.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2007
    Right Click is not enough

Right Click protection only works if the user doesn't really know what they're doing. There are browser add-ins that allow you to override the right click protection scheme. The watermark remains your best bet...make it large enough and present enough to deter would-be-thieves without being too annoying.

And don't expose your originals...they are never watermarked (even if you turn it on).

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2007
    Bumped again
    Bumped again: Request #3:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GJMPhoto
    Horizonal vs. Vertical

- Gary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GJMPhoto

Andy?????
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Gary,

Can you provide link(s) to 480x640 images that got watermarked (with image information turned on)? As far as I know you shouldn't be able to watermark any image whose longest side is less than 800 px.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Gary,

Can you provide link(s) to 480x640 images that got watermarked (with image information turned on)? As far as I know you shouldn't be able to watermark any image whose longest side is less than 800 px.
    Yes, please supply us with links to images of which the longest side is equal to or less than 800 that are watermarked. They should indeed not be watermarked, and that should be investigated by us thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Examples
    ivar wrote:
    Yes, please supply us with links to images of which the longest side is equal to or less than 800 that are watermarked. They should indeed not be watermarked, and that should be investigated by us thumb.gif

All of the photos in http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/3075570
    will be less than 800 in longest length. The verticals are watermarked...the horizontals are not.

So I understand...the smallest we can make our files to upload quickly, but also be watermarked is xxx by 801 or 801 by xxx ???
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Examples
    ivar wrote:

All of the photos in http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/2950347
    will be less than 800 in longest length. The verticals are watermarked...the horizontals would not be (I don't think that gallery has horizontals, though).

So I understand...the smallest we can make our files to upload quickly, but also be watermarked is xxx by 801 or 801 by xxx ???
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    All of the photos in http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/2950347
    will be less than 800 in longest length. The verticals are watermarked...the horizontals would not be (I don't think that gallery has horizontals, though).

This file http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/2950347#165762871
    is 2448x3264 so it is watermarked. Make sense?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Bad example
    Andy wrote:

I probably gave you a bad example....

I'm not near my photo PC right now, so I'll be more careful this evening and repost a good gallery to look at.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Andy...I can't verify without going back to my computer at home, but isn't http://www.garymorgenphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3075570#167759387
    (IMG_6577) a vertical 480x600 with watermarking?
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Andy...I can't verify without going back to my computer at home, but isn't http://www.garymorgenphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3075570#167759387
    (IMG_6577) a vertical 480x600 with watermarking?
    Yeah that's a bug, even Images less than 800px on the long side, if they are portrait oriented, will get watermarked. If you want that watermark removed, you'll need to reupload the photo, and also uncheck the watermark-upon-upload option in your gallery settings. Sorry about that. It's been reported, no timeframe on the fix, but we will fix it.

It's not good to upload small images anyhow, if you plan on selling prints, you won't have all print sizes for sale. You can see our resolution requirements here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality#minprintres
    If the photos don't have large enough resolution, the print sizes are removed from the shopping cart to guarantee the best quality.

Hope this is helpful!
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2007
    Thanks
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah that's a bug, even Images less than 800px on the long side, if they are portrait oriented, will get watermarked. If you want that watermark removed, you'll need to reupload the photo, and also uncheck the watermark-upon-upload option in your gallery settings. Sorry about that. It's been reported, no timeframe on the fix, but we will fix it.

It's not good to upload small images anyhow, if you plan on selling prints, you won't have all print sizes for sale. You can see our resolution requirements here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality#minprintres
    If the photos don't have large enough resolution, the print sizes are removed from the shopping cart to guarantee the best quality.

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks!!! I knew I wasn't crazy :) I do want to keep the watermark, so I'll just leave them alone.

That particular album is just to allow the customer to view the photos, the sales are outside of smugmug (because Smugmug does not yet support package pricing)...so I uploaded the smallest pics I could to save time (and space).

Thanks - Gary.
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Types tool menu??
    Hi,

I am following the tute about watermarks, but am stuck on the 4th point. How do I open the type tools menu to get the menu that appears on the screen??

Thanks.

PS. Is there an action I can use to put it on my photos that aren't uploaded to smugmug?
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D