Options

The Watermark Thread

Comments

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    I am following the tute about watermarks, but am stuck on the 4th point. How do I open the type tools menu to get the menu that appears on the screen??
    173175578-L-LB.jpg

There are several ways to add a watermark as an action in Photoshop. I know the NAPP had a recent tutorial on doing this. You can also do a Google search using photoshop action add watermark and see what shows.mwink.gifmwink.gif

Or you can do what Andy states in the next post.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    christulk wrote:
    PS. Is there an action I can use to put it on my photos that aren't uploaded to smugmug?

Click "Tutorials" in the Dgrin Navbar. We even teach you how to make Actions!
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Removing Watermarks
    I apologise if this has alreay been addressed (and I am fairly sure it has, but I am all coded out tonight from working on my webpage and my eyes are crossing on me!), but can someone please tell me if it is possible to remove watermarks from photos once they are there? I applied them to a particular gallery and then moved some of them to another gallery and they retained the watermark...

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    I apologise if this has alreay been addressed (and I am fairly sure it has, but I am all coded out tonight from working on my webpage and my eyes are crossing on me!), but can someone please tell me if it is possible to remove watermarks from photos once they are there? I applied them to a particular gallery and then moved some of them to another gallery and they retained the watermark...

Thanks in advance!
    I think under "photo tools" > watermarking, you can remove them there.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I think under "photo tools" > watermarking, you can remove them there.

Ah, so simple! I would have spent days looking for it!! Thanks so much:D
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    Ah, so simple! I would have spent days looking for it!! Thanks so much:D
    :) Let me introduce you to our help pages, too - http://www.smugmug.com/help

on the left side, pro, then watermarking.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    :) Let me introduce you to our help pages, too - http://www.smugmug.com/help

on the left side, pro, then watermarking.

thumb.gif

Thanks Andy. That's where I found the great information for creating my watermark, but didn't find how to remove it there... I think it was just too simple for me to work out after having dealt with all of the CSS and Javascript all day trying to get the slideshow working :D

Love your website btw and I am using some elements of it as a template in my dumbed-down version. Hope that's okay!
  • Options
    NavyMooseNavyMoose Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Chris_S wrote:
    Hi, I though I would share how I created a custom watermark that would work with both light or dark images.

I basically used an Arial font with an outline using these instructions:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690196
    and
    http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903

I'll quote below for easier access:

examples:

7557945-M-1.jpg

51671476-M-1.jpg

I followed these procedures and created a watermark. I saved it as a JPEG. I uploaded it to my misc gallery and told SmugMug to make it my watermark. I see a white field and my watermark text in the middle of it.

How do I get rid of the white space so only the text shows up? I tried fade and it did not do what I wanted. You could still see the huge white space.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Navy Moose
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    I followed these procedures and created a watermark. I saved it as a JPEG. I uploaded it to my misc gallery and told SmugMug to make it my watermark. I see a white field and my watermark text in the middle of it.

How do I get rid of the white space so only the text shows up? I tried fade and it did not do what I wanted. You could still see the huge white space.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Navy Moose
    It's probably fine :D pngs have to be viewed at original size to see them, and even then, not all browsers can display them.

Link us to the watermark itself, and also to aphoto you watermarked, k?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    Watermark and photo link as requested.
    The gallery is marked "private" because I keep all sorts of stuff like my watermark in there. Please let me know if you have a problem seeing it.

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3118995#175121721

This link is an example of a photo I would like a watermark applied to:

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3120328/1/170863651#170867951

Andy wrote:
    It's probably fine :D pngs have to be viewed at original size to see them, and even then, not all browsers can display them.

Link us to the watermark itself, and also to aphoto you watermarked, k?
    Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution.--
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    The gallery is marked "private" because I keep all sorts of stuff like my watermark in there. Please let me know if you have a problem seeing it.

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3118995#175121721

That's not a transparent png file. You must use Save For Web and choose png-24 in photoshop. Do that, and link me again once it's uploaded, okay?

Don't forget to crop it, too. No need for all the extra empty space.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    Watermark link as requested.
    Hi Andy,

Here is the new link. It still does not appear transparent, even though I saved it as a PNG file.

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3118995/2#175137774

Did I screw this up again?

Thanks!

Navy Moose
    Andy wrote:
    That's not a transparent png file. You must use Save For Web and choose png-24 in photoshop. Do that, and link me again once it's uploaded, okay?

Don't forget to crop it, too. No need for all the extra empty space.
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Here is the new link. It still does not appear transparent, even though I saved it as a PNG file.

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3118995/2#175137774

Did I screw this up again?

Thanks!

Navy Moose
    It's perfect. Now, under that photo, photo tools>make into watermark. Then use it to apply to a photo and see thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    Is it possible to apply this watermark to existing photos in galleries?
    Hi Andy,

Thank you for checking for me. Is it possible to apply this watermark to photos already in my galleries?

Thanks again!

Navy Moose
    Andy wrote:
    It's perfect. Now, under that photo, photo tools>make into watermark. Then use it to apply to a photo and see thumb.gif
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    Hi Andy,

Thank you for checking for me. Is it possible to apply this watermark to photos already in my galleries?

Thanks again!

Navy Moose
    Yes, please have another look at our watermarking help page, it says it all much better than I can :D

http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-watermark-protection
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Click "Tutorials" in the Dgrin Navbar. We even teach you how to make Actions!

Thanks Andy and David!
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2007
    Correct watermark still not showing up
    Hi Andy,

I followed the steps you pointed out and I still do not see a watermark on the existing photos. The new photos I uploaded just now don't have the correct watermark on them. I changed the watermark in gallery tools to my custom one, and the watermark still shows "Proof".

Here is a link showing one of my new photos with the "Proof" watermark.

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3119130/1/175952806/Original

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

Navy Moose
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, please have another look at our watermarking help page, it says it all much better than I can :D

Ansel Adams
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 22, 2007
    NavyMoose wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I followed the steps you pointed out and I still do not see a watermark on the existing photos. The new photos I uploaded just now don't have the correct watermark on them. I changed the watermark in gallery tools to my custom one, and the watermark still shows "Proof".

Here is a link showing one of my new photos with the "Proof" watermark.

http://navymoose.smugmug.com/gallery/3119130/1/175952806/Original

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks!

Navy Moose

Hi :)

I took a look at the above gallery, and used your custom watermark and they watermarked fine :) If you wish to change the watermark, go into the gallery, and underneath a photo, click on photo tools, then watermarking. At the top of the next page, click select all, choose your watermark, check add, and then watermark. You do the same to remove them, except check remove.

Let us know if you have further questions!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    Watermarking works!! :-)
    Hi Barb,

I got it to work this time! Thank you!!

Navy Moose
    Barb wrote:
    Hi :)

I took a look at the above gallery, and used your custom watermark and they watermarked fine :) If you wish to change the watermark, go into the gallery, and underneath a photo, click on photo tools, then watermarking. At the top of the next page, click select all, choose your watermark, check add, and then watermark. You do the same to remove them, except check remove.

Let us know if you have further questions!
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Mac watermark creator?
    Anyone have a recommendation for a mac application that will allow me to make a custom watermark, other than Photoshop? Maybe a free download, i.e. freeware. I just need to make a basic watermark and import to smug. I currently use one of the Dgrin examples but it's too large for me to place on a corner of a photo or customize.

If no mac app's are out there, mabe a recommendation for a PC app, also freeware if possible. I'm not cheap or anything, its just going to be a one time application use.

Thanks
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    J.T. wrote:
    Anyone have a recommendation for a mac application that will allow me to make a custom watermark, other than Photoshop? Maybe a free download, i.e. freeware. I just need to make a basic watermark and import to smug. I currently use one of the Dgrin examples but it's too large for me to place on a corner of a photo or customize.

If no mac app's are out there, mabe a recommendation for a PC app, also freeware if possible. I'm not cheap or anything, its just going to be a one time application use.

Thanks

Well, for the PC there's always good, old MS Paint which is usually installed with windows. Make a new image, add some text with the font you like, and save as a gif, jpg, or png file. May not be great, but that image can be used as a watermark in smugmug.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2007
    J.T. wrote:

Thanks
    You don't Post Process at all? ne_nau.gif

Try Irfanview, it's a freeware pc app.

Try The Gimp - open source photo app :)
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    Thanks for the information. I'll try that and see what I get.
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, for the PC there's always good, old MS Paint which is usually installed with windows. Make a new image, add some text with the font you like, and save as a gif, jpg, or png file. May not be great, but that image can be used as a watermark in smugmug.
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    Thanks Andy. Well I do some basic post processing with iPhoto but nothing like I could do with an Adobe program. My Mac is a bit too slow for the power of Photoshop or Aperture and will have to wait until I upgrade.

Thanks for the info with Irfanview, I'll try that too.

John
    Andy wrote:
    You don't Post Process at all? ne_nau.gif

Try Irfanview, it's a freeware pc app.

Try The Gimp - open source photo app :)
    John "J.T."

Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D

SB 600

• Options
    Leigh0190Leigh0190 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    How do i watermark pictures for blogging?
    I have a watermark and use it on smugmug, but when i blog people would be able to right click and get my images, as the watermark doesn't show up on a blog. Is there some way for me to watermark my blog pictures? All I have is photoshop elements, and is from like 2001 or 2002.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:
    I have a watermark and use it on smugmug, but when i blog people would be able to right click and get my images, as the watermark doesn't show up on a blog. Is there some way for me to watermark my blog pictures? All I have is photoshop elements, and is from like 2001 or 2002.

Thanks!

When blogging why don't you just provide a link to your Smugmug images that are already watermarked? In your gallery you can enable sharing, and disable originals. So your watermarked image links will be something like ..../0123456789-L.jpg or ..../0123456789-M.jpg or ..../0123456789-S.jpg.

These images are the watermarked versions. So, using them in blogs will give you some degree of protection. For example:

183173723-S-LB.jpg
  • Options
    Leigh0190Leigh0190 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I really would like some way to put the actual pictures on the blog, because I put them there before they go on my website as a preview to families. So far I've just done friends for fun so it hasn't been an issue but I want to get it figured out so I can be prepared. If anyone knows how to do this...
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Hello, all I'm a newbie to the world of digital photography and PhotoShop.

I'm trying to create a watermark with only type, save it as a photo and then download it as an image so I can turn it into a watermark.

However, I just want the typed out words, not the white background.

Can someone explain to me how to do this? I have PSC2. Thank you!
  • Options
    thenimirra wrote:

Can someone explain to me how to do this? I have PSC2. Thank you!
    You bet. We have a step by step.

From here
    you will find the link to it at the very top thumb.gif
  • Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    Thank you Andy, your images and your site are my inspiration. Thank you for being so willing to help out us newbies. I have learned so much already being a part of smugmug! clap.gif