Options

The Watermark Thread

Comments

• Options
    thenimirrathenimirra Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    thenimirra wrote:
    Thank you Andy, your images and your site are my inspiration. Thank you for being so willing to help out us newbies. I have learned so much already being a part of smugmug! clap.gif

I tried to turn the image into a watermark, but I still have that ugly white background. How do I just make type into a watermark? How do I just create type on a PS file that doesn't include the white background?
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2007
    Can't get watermark onto picture
    I read the tutorial here about making a watermark for your photos. I have been able to do that, but I don't know how to get it from my documents to my photo. I could really use some help on this.....Thanks.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    Dogdots wrote:
    I read the tutorial here about making a watermark for your photos. I have been able to do that, but I don't know how to get it from my documents to my photo. I could really use some help on this.....Thanks.

So - you have a watermark image created using smugmug? If so, Login to your smugmug account, go to a gallery, and from any image choose "Watermarking" from the "Photo Tools" menu.

198641448-M.jpg

This will bring up a screen showing all the thumbnails for all of the images in the gallery.
    198641484-M.jpg

Click each image's thumbnail to select it for watermarking (or choose the "select all" from the top). Then, make sure the "add" radio button is selected and the appropriate watermark is in the drop-down box. Click on the "Watermark" button and it should go. It can take several minutes for all images to watermark. You may have to reload the page to get the watermarked images to show.

Remember, if the image's longest side is less than 800 pixels then it will not be watermarked.
  • Options
    I don't have a watermark thru smugmug. I got the how-to in the tutorials here in dgrin. I just don't know how to transfer it onto my photos in Photoshop. The information you gave me though is good and I will hang onto it because I was going to join into smugmug....just haven't done so yet. When I do it will come in handy. Maybe the tutorial is just for watermarks in smugmug....hummm. Do you know?
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    I don't have a watermark thru smugmug. I got the how-to in the tutorials here in dgrin. I just don't know how to transfer it onto my photos in Photoshop. The information you gave me though is good and I will hang onto it because I was going to join into smugmug....just haven't done so yet. When I do it will come in handy. Maybe the tutorial is just for watermarks in smugmug....hummm. Do you know?

O.k. Your original post didn't give all of the details. So you have an image file on your computer that you want to use as a watermark.

In order to do that in PS all you have do is open the image you want to watermark. Then, open your watermarking image in PS.

198676979-M.jpg

With the watermark image active choose the layers palette, and drag the image's layer icon onto the photo you want to watermark. In the example above you would click on the icon for "Layer 0" and drag it on top of the bear image. When you release the mouse the watermark image will be a new layer. Repeat as necessary, add more blending options, change the watermark layer's size, etc.

Don't save this file as the original jpg image!!!!. Save it as a different name or save as a PSD file.
    198677007-M.jpg
  • Options
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear in what I was saying in my earlier posting. I thank you for the information and will try it out today. I'm so new to using the tools in Photoshop. Which means I have sooooooo much to learn. Can you explain smugmug to me?
  • Options
    Dogdots wrote:
    I Can you explain smugmug to me?

Well, there is so much to Smugmug that explaining it all could be time consuming, However, the basics are here: http://www.smugmug.com/visitor-help/

You shoot, you upload, you share. People visit, people like, people download, purchase, comment, etc. By far one of the best photo sharing sites. You control the content, look, and feel of your site or you can choose to use of smugmug's themes to share your photos. Themes are basically pre-set looks that you can either use as-is or tweak to your own desire. A lot of help is available here at dgrin when you want to customize, but are not sure how to go about doing it.

I am sure others can provide more information.
  • Options
    I will check into it. You have been a big help.
  • Options
    Leigh0190Leigh0190 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    Help!
    I follow the example for watermarking exactly. When I upload it to smugmug, though, it is just a big block of whatever color the watermark is supposed to be in. No letters, just a big blob of color. Help???
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:
    I follow the example for watermarking exactly. When I upload it to smugmug, though, it is just a big block of whatever color the watermark is supposed to be in. No letters, just a big blob of color. Help???

Did you upload a *.png file with transparency for use as the watermark? If so the png file will look weird when viewed in your gallery. This is because Windows and the fact that your gallery may not be showing showing the original. Turn on originals for that gallery and view the image at that size. Still weird?

If still weird then how did you save the file? Photoshop - Save for Web?

If the original file is o.k. then watermarking process should be o.k. since it uses your original file as the watermark.
  • Options
    thehikingdudethehikingdude Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Silly Watermark Question
    I just started up my Smugmug site this weekend and got my first order. It would appear that the person was trying to crop out the watermark on most of the pictures they ordered.

I am correct in thinking that the watermark doesn't show up in the prints, right? I wanted to be 250% sure that's the case before I said anything about it.

Do others say anything in reference to the watermark so folks know that it doesn't show up on the actual prints?

The Newbie
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    If you applied the watermark using Smugmug's watermarking feature then that watermark will not print. Smugmug does not alter the originals that you upload, and the originals are used for printing. If you applied the watermark using Photoshop or other photo editing software before you uploaded the image then it will print as it is part of the original.

Set up proof delay on your galleries so that you can tweak their crops without having them reorder them.

Also, why do you have originals enabled for your galleries? Kind of defeats the purpose of selling. mwink.gifdeal.gif
    I just started up my Smugmug site this weekend and got my first order. It would appear that the person was trying to crop out the watermark on most of the pictures they ordered.

I am correct in thinking that the watermark doesn't show up in the prints, right? I wanted to be 250% sure that's the case before I said anything about it.

Do others say anything in reference to the watermark so folks know that it doesn't show up on the actual prints?

The Newbie
  • Options
    thehikingdudethehikingdude Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    If you applied the watermark using Smugmug's watermarking feature then that watermark will not print. Smugmug does not alter the originals that you upload, and the originals are used for printing. If you applied the watermark using Photoshop or other photo editing software before you uploaded the image then it will print as it is part of the original.

Set up proof delay on your galleries so that you can tweak their crops without having them reorder them.

Also, why do you have originals eneabled for your galleries? Kind of defeats the purpose of selling. mwink.gifdeal.gif

Thanks for the answer!!!

I'm using the Smugmug Watermark Feature so it sounds like I can be assured of that. I'm using the Proof Delay as well.

I only have one gallery enabled with the ability to download original images. I did this on purpose as a freebie just to give the folks an opportunity to see what they are really getting when ordering prints. I read elsehwere that others have used this for marketing to get people used to coming back to check for more free downloads. I only started my site up over the weekend, but it seems to make sense to throw people a bone every now and then.

However, if you saw additional galleries allowing free original downloads I'd be very curious to know which ones allowed that.
  • Options
    Leigh0190Leigh0190 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Thanks!
    Just realized I never said thanks for the help! I figured out the watermark situation!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Leigh0190 wrote:
    Just realized I never said thanks for the help! I figured out the watermark situation!

thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    JetrangerJetranger Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    I didn't see this question asked ... but I see some watermarks rotated 45 degrees ... I don't see that option on the watermark edit screen ... does this have to be done in Photoshop?

Steve
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Jetranger wrote:
    I didn't see this question asked ... but I see some watermarks rotated 45 degrees ... I don't see that option on the watermark edit screen ... does this have to be done in Photoshop?

Well...not necessarily in Photoshop, but yes - rotating the image in your favorite image processosr is needed before uploading to Smugmug.
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    What is the optimal size for a watermark image? I need it to work on vertical and horizontal images...

Look here for the problem I'm having:

http://supersnapshots.smugmug.com/gallery/3701843

Thanks,
    Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2007
    Simple watermark question.
    Andy,
    It's time for an updated watermark. Quick question:
    When sizing the transparent document, the tutotial suggest 1600x200 - but any will do. I like the one you maked showing on the tutorial page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/custom-watermark-protection

with the "X". Is there a special size I should start with so it looks correct with either horizontal or vertical images?

Michael
  • Options
    MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    bump
    bump..

Andy,
    When sizing the transparent document, the tutotial suggest 1600x200 - but any will do. I like the one you maked showing on the tutorial page:

with the "X". Is there a special size I should start with so it looks correct with either horizontal or vertical images?

Michael
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Andy,

Michael
    Get a portrait-oriented and a landscape-oriented X3 image from your site... layer them in photoshop and start playing around :) That's what I did.

From the help page,
    it leads you here:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1690793#210147244

This watermark looks like this:

210148733-XL-1.jpg

and this

210147244-XL-1.jpg
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    What is the optimal size for a watermark image? I need it to work on vertical and horizontal images...

Look here for the problem I'm having:

http://supersnapshots.smugmug.com/gallery/3701843

Thanks,
    Nate

Nate, after looking at your watermark in that gallery, would you like a watermark like this?

226568868-M-1.jpg

And here is a post about how I created it

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=560664&postcount=26
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    That would be better.. but would it fit horizontal images too?
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    natephoto wrote:
    That would be better.. but would it fit horizontal images too?

Yep, it is a single copy of the text, then watermark created and tiled on smugmug. So it works well on portrait and horizontal photos.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Andy,

Thanks for the great background on creating a watermark! Nice easy steps!

I noticed your watermark is an embossed text watermark. How do you make the text embossed like that?

Thanks!
    John
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Watermark Everything
    Is there anyway to watermark every image on my site without having to set it up in each individual gallery?

Thanks!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    HoyBoy wrote:
    Is there anyway to watermark every image on my site without having to set it up in each individual gallery?

Thanks!
    Hi, I'm sorry there is not - you'll need to go to each gallery and watermark from the gallery.

Wish I had a different answer for you!
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'm sorry there is not - you'll need to go to each gallery and watermark from the gallery.

Wish I had a different answer for you!

Not a big deal, I was just hoping!

Thanks for the quick response!
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Is it normal behaviour that once you watermark your images you need to redo all your bulk zoom thumbnails?

I had previously spent many an hour changing the thumbnails with the bulk zoom tool and now when applying a watermark all this hard work is undone and I need to do it all again (I dont have watermarking for thumbnails turned on so not sure why smugmug is generating a new thumbnail).

Thanks,
    Craig.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Is it normal behaviour that once you watermark your images you need to redo all your bulk zoom thumbnails?

I had previously spent many an hour changing the thumbnails with the bulk zoom tool and now when applying a watermark all this hard work is undone and I need to do it all again (I dont have watermarking for thumbnails turned on so not sure why smugmug is generating a new thumbnail).

Thanks,
    Craig.
    Did you check the box to add the watermark on the thumbnails? If not I don't
    think the thumbs would be effected.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog