Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    atom katom k Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Visitor-Searchable Pasword protected galleries!
    Cmon already, DO IT!! PLEASE! Like so many others, I spent A LOT of time entering descriptions and keywords so OTHER VISITORS - not just me! - can find photos

I don't get it. If I can search only after I've entered a password to get into the Owner View mode, wouldn't it be just as simple for anyone entering a password to have the same ability, without comprimising the privacy of the site overall??

Is this technically difficult to do, or just a lower priority?

Thanks
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    square thumbs - I wish...
    For my wish list: I wish the square thumbs (which I love) would default to the top of the frame on vertical photos! I always end up having to adjust TONS of photos because people's heads are cut off in the thumbs!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    Thanks for the FR thumb.gif
  • Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2008
    force a particular style for keyword search results
    It would be great if you could force a particular style for keyword search results (via CSS , without using the style picker).

This seems to be a popular request.

see http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=80114
  • Options
    TomNisbetTomNisbet Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 15, 2008
    square thumbs - I wish...
    For my wish list: I wish the square thumbs (which I love) would default to the top of the frame on vertical photos! I always end up having to adjust TONS of photos because people's heads are cut off in the thumbs!
    That would be a big help. It would also be nice if the aspect ratio for the thumbnail adjustment defaulted to 1:1 when the gallery is set to use square thumbnails. That simple change would save an awful lot of clicks when adjusting a bunch of photos in the same gallery.

As long as I'm wishing, how about the ability to to set a thumbnail crop of one photo and apply it to a selected bunch. The "default to top" setting would be close to perfect, but I seem to adjust most verticals to the "almost at the top" setting.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2008

seconded (or thirded or whatever 'ded' were at by now):D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2008
    TomNisbet wrote:
    That would be a big help. It would also be nice if the aspect ratio for the thumbnail adjustment defaulted to 1:1 when the gallery is set to use square thumbnails. That simple change would save an awful lot of clicks when adjusting a bunch of photos in the same gallery.

As long as I'm wishing, how about the ability to to set a thumbnail crop of one photo and apply it to a selected bunch. The "default to top" setting would be close to perfect, but I seem to adjust most verticals to the "almost at the top" setting.
    I also mentioned something like this, except what I prefer is to be able to work on a bunch of crops on the same page (my comment is on page 42), minimizing clicks and page loads.

Btw, is there a default to top setting currently? I might have not seen that.

Current I've been opening 2-3 tabs of the same gallery, and fixing thumbnail crops 3 at a time (seems to finish the 1st one by the time I click save on the 3rd one).

"6) Crop Thumbnail
    - Again, ratios could be listed rather than in a pull-down menu. You guys have chosen beautiful, professional looking fonts, and the HTML-style pull-down menu feels like it throws that off.
    - If my thumbnails are square, would it be possible to have the crop thumbnail default to a 1:1 square blue outline with the current focal point centered (currently defaults to full photo aspect)? Having to change the aspect to 1:1 just to fix the focal point of the thumbnail is a bit tedious, esp. doing them one-by-one. Sorry if this is something I'm personally not doing properly.
    - It's understandable that "Save Changes" takes a while to process on the server side, but fixing the focal point of every square thumbnail is tough. One suggestion is to mimic the 'Edit Captions/Keywords' page which displays all photos (user-friendly sized, SmugMug's forte!) and their correct-aspect blue crop boxes and default to the current photo in the list (if I was viewing photo #7, default to photo #7 but have all other photos ready if I wanted to fix the thumbnail crop on any others while I'm at it). This way, I could just click "Save Changes" once, and let it churn through all of them while I move onto more photos!"
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2008
    Featured Galleries
    This may or may not be a bug or an intended usage, but when I add featured galleries and it asks what position I want (#1,2,3,4) it doesn't seem to push the other galleries to later positions. Rather, if I choose to feature a new gallery in position #1, it will REPLACE what was originally there, meaning I have to manually shift all galleries down one position.

I'm assuming since only 4 galleries can be featured, their positioning is not of the utmost importance, but I feel like there should be control over the ordering. This goes back to my page 42 long post about more AJAX to help arrange galleries, just like SmugMug already has for photos.

While I'm at it, could we also get a setting to specify the # of featured galleries?
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

• Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    I also think a feature like this would be helpful. Although, I'd prefer it be implemented slightly differently. Rather than defaulting to the top of images in portrait orientation, I'd like to see the upper 1/3rd line of the square crop aligned with the uppoer 1/3rd line of the original image. I find this works best for the overwhelming majority of my portrait orientation images, because I, and probably most people, put people's faces (or eyes) on the uppoer 1/3rd line.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    More visual feedback for hidden photos
    I love that I can hide photos in my galleries, but I'd love more visual feedback on this. Maybe you can see a slight red X across the image - enough to show that something's going on without preventing you from seeing it when logged in.

The small check just isn't obvious enough - and there isn't any way to see how many photos are hidden, just the current one.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2008
    I love that I can hide photos in my galleries, but I'd love more visual feedback on this. Maybe you can see a slight red X across the image - enough to show that something's going on without preventing you from seeing it when logged in.

The small check just isn't obvious enough - and there isn't any way to see how many photos are hidden, just the current one.

Thanks!

Agreed! This would help a lot. At the gallery level, perhaps some indication of "150 photos, 15 hidden" would help too. Thumbnails would have to have the same visual feedback to make it easier to find hidden photos spread throughout galleries (esp. large galleries).

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008

Thanks!
    Third this idea. clap.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Visitor Subscription to Gallery Updates
    Not 100% sure if this has come up, but I would like my viewers to be able to subscribe to changes (update via e-mail asap/once-per-day/once-per-week options maybe?) in their galleries.

The example I have is that I just finished uploading a friend's wedding photos and I don't want to e-mail them everytime I make some changes or add new photos. I'm not sure how difficult this would be as a service, but perhaps we could start with notifications on any change, and then fine tune it for specific changes (photos replaced, photos added, even comments added). Basically a subscription to a gallery, much like a subscription to a forum thread. :)

The beauty of SmugMug is that visitors don't need to sign up to enjoy, and hopefully this will add to that! thumb.gif

• Options
    Seminole1986Seminole1986 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2008
    Feature request re email addresses
    Hi all,

My question concerns the email address list in the "share photo" menu. It seems my email address list is pretty long now yet I can't seem to find a way to check all the addresses at once and am forced to check each one seperately. This seems rather silly since a "check all" box would do the trick and be a rather simple thing to implement, I would think.

So, am I missing something? Is there a simple way to do this that I have just missed?

If not, well, where can I file a request to add a feature? FWIW, the Lightroom user group has a seperate forum just for feature requests, might be a good idea here too.

Thanks in advance.
    Capturing the world one frame at a time.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2008
    Hi all,

My question concerns the email address list in the "share photo" menu. It seems my email address list is pretty long now yet I can't seem to find a way to check all the addresses at once and am forced to check each one seperately. This seems rather silly since a "check all" box would do the trick and be a rather simple thing to implement, I would think.

So, am I missing something? Is there a simple way to do this that I have just missed?

If not, well, where can I file a request to add a feature? FWIW, the Lightroom user group has a seperate forum just for feature requests, might be a good idea here too.

Thanks in advance.
    thanks for the FR thumb.gif
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Tag photos for purchase
    I would like my customers to be able to tag photos for purchase without using the cart buttons. I'm thinking something similar to the "thumbsup/thumbsdown" feature. The customer just flips along through the photos and tags the ones he/she wants to consider for purchase. Then after they have gone through the whole gallery, they can sort by their picks and then decide which ones they want to move to the checkout cart.

Much the same way Lightroom allows you to use P (pick), U (unpick) in the Library Module to tag photos. Quick, easy --- miraculous.

I see this as a necessary feature for a wedding gallery where there may be 400+ shots --- don't you?

Sorry if this is an old thought.

Let me know what y'all think.

Cheers and have a great night!
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Create Gallery - Customize page
    After creating a new gallery bring up the gallery customize page and NOT
    the add photos page. Bet that the majority will not remember to set things
    like password, unlisted, thumbs, watermark to name a few. Happens to me
    all the time.:D

Imagine a large over-night upload of unprotected family photos. The
    security is not fail-safe. At least put a "customize gallery" button on the
    "create gallery" page with a RED warning note.

From another thread
    OffTopic wrote:
    ... The reason for this is that when the photos are uploaded to a public gallery they are immediately picked up by the feed...and once they're on "the internets" ...people may not be able to access the gallery/photos by clicking on the link AFTER you have set your privacy settings, but many feed readers show a large-sized thumb of each photo that people would still have access to. ...
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    The delete photos and move photos pages are almost completely useless
    without the filenames. Please add the filenames back in.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 21, 2008
    Allen wrote:

whatcha mean? headscratch.gif

They are there !! lol3.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

Not showing here in Firefox 2
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    We heard you and a bunch of others tell us loud and clear that you wanted 'em back. And so they are. Sorry it took so long we need to get this release out the door and it took longer than we expected thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

delete photos and move photos pages filenames missing

Just checked on laptop with XP, FF2 and IE7 and they are missing there also.
    Desktop with W2KP, FF2, Flock, and IE6 missing also.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    Not really a request...
    just a thought for the back boiler.....

http://gigaom.com/2006/09/18/8020-american-idol-of-digital-photography/
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    delete photos and move photos pages filenames missing

Just checked on laptop with XP, FF2 and IE7 and they are missing there also.
    Desktop with W2KP, FF2, Flock, and IE6 missing also.
    They are still missing for me too.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    They are still missing for me too.

--- Denise

EDIT: Figured out the bug, it's a permissions thing, we'll get it fixed, sorry about that!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Thank you all for adding my requested save photo feature when logged in :) Love it!
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Thumbnail auto creation
    The auto creation of square thumbs for portraits needs to be created using
    the top of the portrait and not the middle.

An amusing comment in the slideshow thread.rolleyes1.gif
    Here's the thing, the thumbnail is a square on the center of the picture and at the center of many pictures is the person's chest, so I'm force to have boob thumbnails! Can I at least move the positioning of the square, like I can in galleries?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Global update for single changes
    I want to be able to update my custom watermark across all watermarked galleries, without affecting any other changes in those galleries ( which may all have different settings)

Otherwise whenever I change my watermarks it's one flip of a job to do each gallery one at atime

'Twould be handy for other single changes too - like deciding on square thumbs across your site, or other new yet to come features, or even old ones..without changing the other settings of the individual galleries
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    vlherringvlherring Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    I agree wholeheartedly
    I have been trying to work with my prices and because I can't easily compare different prices or information -- it's not so much an issue of not being able to create a spreadsheet but it'd be MUCH faster to be able to download or print off [the black background prevents that] the various gallery prices and then work with them - I am trying to standardize pricing among images and it's a royal pain

I tried to create a Portfolio master list but that's all well and good but I can't tell that it works right = if we could have a download or print off of each gallery thaqt would help that process alot

TomNisbet wrote:
    I was able to paste the pricing table into an Excel spreadsheet and add columns to compute the markups and profits. I found that this made it easy to understand my prices and to compare multiple price lists. The price lists still needed to be entered manually back into SmugMug, but this wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, especially since my lists eliminate lots of things like non-Lustre prints and compact prints. I'll be happy to mail you a copy of my Excel template.

The price list feature I'd really like to see is saved price lists that stay associated with galleries so that changes in the list automatically apply back to the gallery. This would ideally work just like the portfolio pricing - a gallery would use a named price list instead of the portfolio list as its default, but individual prices could still be overridden. This would make the portfolio pricing just another instance of saved price lists. THAT would be awesome.
    Victoria L. Herring
    http://www.JourneyZing.com
    Customized travel research and planning
    Through the eyes of JourneyZing, Images that will Transport You.
    Photographs at: http://gallery.journeyzing.com
  • Options
    cjccjc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Feature request: ShareGroup RSS feeds
    Greetings fellow SmugMug fans.

I would like to suggest adding RSS feeds for ShareGroups.

Here's why I think this would be a great idea:

Since lots of my photos include kids (mine and those of friends), I keep very few photos on my public page. Instead, I maintain a ShareGroup for each audience who might want to view my photos: One for my family, one for church friends, one for co-workers, etc.

As things stand, I have to send each person an e-mail every time I add new photos or galleries.

The way the RSS feeds work for public galleries is GREAT. Let's add the same functionality for ShareGroups, since, in effect, each ShareGroup is like a semi-public portal.

For my "adoring fans" (love that phrase) who use RSS readers, it would be a real boon to have this feature. And my views would go up :D.

Possible variation: a desktop widget (or screensaver type widget) in place of a ShareGroup.

Please share your comments... let's see if this feature would be popular enough to be worth implementing. I've suggested it to our faithful Support Heroes, and they seem willing to consider the feature. If you like my idea, let them know!

Thanks everybody.

Christopher Copeland
    http://cjc-abc.smugmug.com/
This discussion has been closed.