Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    alduinalduin Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 19, 2008
    How about a way to send someone a link to an unrestricted version of a gallery?

For example, I love the watermarking and protection features of the pro account for public display purposes, but I'd love to be able to use the "share" feature to e-mail a link to family that bypasses the watermarking and size restrictions placed on the public. To secure it a bit, perhaps add a field to specify a number of days after which the same link would just lead to the public watermarked and smaller-sized images.
  • Options
    The Scribe of LightThe Scribe of Light Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Pro Feature(s) request
    I've used SmugMug for over a year now as a professional site. The customization options and what some more talented people than I with HTML can do are what attracted me.

However as a professional, I often find myself in a situation where customers want to order more than one print at a time, and I want to offer the ability to either offer a package at a reduced price, or an option of a discount on the number of prints/sheets ordered. This seems to be fairly common practice in the portrait environment.

The only way I can offer it is if I source the printing myself, and the billing etc. While I don't mind doing this, sometimes I have family members who want to buy portraits of the session I did and they don't live nearby. The website is their best option to be able to look & buy immediately.

However the inability to offer discounting/packaging online I feel is costing me some sales sometimes.

I'd asked about this when I first joined up, and some comments were made that there were some things being looked at, but it's been over a year now and I was wondering if that was being looked at any harder?
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Isn't this already there?

Not for the gallery the image is in it would seem. Case in point, I set the pricing at the gallery level, now I want to change the gallery level pricing, but I want to keep the current prices on the images in the gallery already. Hack around: copy pricing to another gallery, then back to the image.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    eregistereregister Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2008
    Package Pricing for Pros
    I've just started using SmugMug and so far think it's great! However, for a pro account we need some way to create packages to offer. Such as 1-8x10, and 2-5x7 for $xx.xx. There are certainly lots of other sites catering to this type of thing but most are much more expensive and not as easy to use.

Thanks,
    Ed
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    EZ Print Product Offering: Frames
    Sorry if this has been asked before...a search of 'Frames' turned up thousands of entries...none of which dealt with Frames for photographs!ne_nau.gif

I noticed that EZPrints offers photo Frames as a product. Will you offer them as well???

- Gary.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Packages and coupons. Coupons and packages. Packages and coupons. Coupons and packages.

Andy knows how I feel about this.

Either Smugmug developers are working feverishly to get this done right and get it done soon, or they don't care about their pro customers and are trying to cater more to the amateur base.

Seeing as I know that Smugmug cares about their pro customers, I can only assume they are working feverishly.

But until then.... ne_nau.gif is all I can say. No news is no news.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2008
    However the inability to offer discounting/packaging online I feel is costing me some sales sometimes.

It is costing me all the time. From reading the tea leaves, the new shopping cart that was rolled out was a step towards integrating packages and coupons. That means we are getting closer, but I don't know what hurdles remain between now and a full roll out.
  • Options
    hrsahrsa Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    One of the most needed features for me is to be able to put "Most recently uploaded" photos on my page, so my visitors would be able to see what's new
    http://hrsa.ru
    Currently using Canon EOS 40D + Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L USM + Sigma AF 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye + Canon Speedlite 430EX
  • Options
    JannemanJanneman Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Communities should not be dictators
    hrsa wrote:
    One of the most needed features for me is to be able to put "Most recently uploaded" photos on my page, so my visitors would be able to see what's new

Hello,

My idea when I joined SM was to customise my site and share my photo's with others for critique and comments. Well part one works fantastic. Unfortunately sharing your gallery with a community for the feedback kills all customising I did before.
    This is a big problem in my view and should be repared.
    I see two possibilities:
    1- Always maintain the customising of a gallery as intended by its creator.
    2- Depending on where I come from it either is customised according to the community or according to the original site.
    I clearly prefer option 1 because it confronts others with other looks from which we might learn how to improve our own customising.

Hope this can be changed because I really hate my customising being killed :yikes
    Greetings, Jan
    http://kooreman.smugmug.com
    :D
    Save 5$ on your subscription fee when you subscribe to Smugmug;
    Use this referral code ( n6vdfbmkCEeXU ) in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
  • Options
    PhotoMarkusPhotoMarkus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2008
    Janneman wrote:
    My idea when I joined SM was to customise my site and share my photo's with others for critique and comments. Well part one works fantastic. Unfortunately sharing your gallery with a community for the feedback kills all customising I did before.

Hope this can be changed because I really hate my customizing being killed
    Hi Janneman! Another vote for retaining the customization when joining a community! Please SmugMug, fix this. The current system defeats the original idea! Many thanks,
    markus
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    Email invitation default photo selection
    I had difficulty deciding where to put this (feature requests, support, customization)...

When sending an email invite for a large gallery (one with multiple "pages" in SmugMug style, for example), I'd like to use the "featured photo" for the entire gallery as the selected photo for the email.

The problem is...if the gallery featured photo happens to be in a "page" other than the very first one, clicking the "Click for more photos" link in the email invite defaults to the first image in that particular "page" rather than the first image for the Gallery itself. Can this be changed?

By contrast, on the Homepage, clicking on the featured photo for a gallery takes one directly to the first image of the gallery (just like you'd expect), regardless of which "page" the featured photo resides in...so why not use the same logic in an email invite????

As a literary equivalent, the current arrangement is like suggesting to a book reader that they begin reading by starting in one of the middle chapters....which makes very little sense.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I had difficulty deciding where to put this (feature requests, support, customization)...

When sending an email invite for a large gallery (one with multiple "pages" in SmugMug style, for example), I'd like to use the "featured photo" for the entire gallery as the selected photo for the email.

The problem is...if the gallery featured photo happens to be in a "page" other than the very first one, clicking the "Click for more photos" link in the email invite defaults to the first image in that particular "page" rather than the first image for the Gallery itself. Can this be changed?

By contrast, on the Homepage, clicking on the featured photo for a gallery takes one directly to the first image of the gallery (just like you'd expect), regardless of which "page" the featured photo resides in...so why not use the same logic in an email invite????

As a literary equivalent, the current arrangement is like suggesting to a book reader that they begin reading by starting in one of the middle chapters....which makes very little sense.
    Thanks for the FR, Papa.
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2008
    Here is one I have been thinking about...
    I have been thinking about this for some time. I would really like to have all my galleries displayed in some sort of tree (maybe something similar to the windows "explore" tree. That would make it easy to see what galleries were in what subcatagories and categories.

I have tons of galleries and sometimes the organization gets a little crazy. Having a tiered display (any maybe the ability to move gallries by dragging and dropping) would be a great feature.

That being said... don't let this feature request take priority over packages and coupons. :D:D:D
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Watermark for Videos?
    I hoping I'm not the only one that needs this, but I think adding an ability to watermark videos like the photos would be very useful. It would be essential for me as video is as large of a component of my content as photos are.

I've started a thread and poll on it here so SM can get some feedback from us:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=95279
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    ClickItClickIt Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Add: Photos Printed and Downloaded to Control Panel
    I'd really like to know what photos my friends and family are downloading and printing from SmugMug. I can already see how many views by photo which is cool, but is there a way I can see this other data?

Thanks!
  • Options
    battsbatts Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    Edit captions/keywords (bulk) and similar suggestion
    This function is great but could be better if there was a save button at the bottom. It really sucks when you have a large gallery, tab through and bulk caption/keyword them, only to have to scroll up all the way to the top of the page to click "Save" when changes are made. This could be polished with a nice save button or something at the bottom if there are over X number of photos in the gallery. Try this one with 100+ photos and it is pretty clear. One could use the Home/End buttons but not sure if everyone thinks of those things.

Would also be nice if it was applied to similar functions like Rotate Photos, Adjust Thumbnails, Color Effects, etc..
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    gallery thumbnails
    I would really really like to see Smugmug give us some control over the size of the thumbnails for our galleries.

I understand now that the size is preset at 150x150 for under 5 galleries and 100x100 for over.

I would like to see a larger size available as I think both those sizes are too small to really reach out and draw someone into a gallery.

And I would to be able to pick that one size for all galleries so that my site is more consistent.

Any ideas if this is in the works or even feasible?

Thats my 2 bits
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    Brett MickelsonBrett Mickelson Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    It's been asked a hundred times I'm sure, but it still bugs me that EXIF data is lost in the uploading process.

I know that it is recorded, but I would like to see it embedded in the display image files.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Comments Gallery v image
    just thougt it would be good if it was clearer that comments can be given just for image - as it stands it seesm to me that some commenst of the very few I have (inculuding from own family) were meant for a single image but were given to the gallery e.g. 'I like this one'

I know it probbaly seems really obvious to most people but both my family and myself have made this mistake so it must still be easy to do despite the controls being there...ne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    It's been asked a hundred times I'm sure, but it still bugs me that EXIF data is lost in the uploading process.

I know that it is recorded, but I would like to see it embedded in the display image files.

Just to make sure everyone understands. EXIF data is not lost in the uploading process. It is still there on your original image and you can still see the EXIF when you view the original on Smugmug.

The issue is that they do not preserve the EXIF data on the new sizes of your image that they create so if you look for EXIF on the medium, large, XL, XL2 or XL3, you won't find any. I have long been a fan of including at least the basic EXIF info (copyright info, caption and key camera parameters such as camera body, lens, shutter speed, aperture and ISO) onthe web viewing sizes.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    I Simonius wrote:
    just thougt it would be good if it was clearer that comments can be given just for image - as it stands it seesm to me that some commenst of the very few I have (inculuding from own family) were meant for a single image but were given to the gallery e.g. 'I like this one'

I know it probbaly seems really obvious to most people but both my family and myself have made this mistake so it must still be easy to do despite the controls being there...ne_nau.gif

I "ditto" this request, and for the same reasons...it's not uncommon for comment posters to incorrectly post a "gallery" comment to an individual photo, or a comment intended for an individual "photo" to the entire gallery.

Instead of leaving the "comment type" selector ("entire gallery" or "this photo") in a "last type used" position, forcing the commentor to choose each time a comment is added would be "safer" (or at least force the selection to be made at the beginning of each new "session").
  • Options
    boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Not sure if this has been asked before, I didn't go through the entire thread.
    It would be great to be able to flag photographs across any kind of gallery (Public, Unlisted, even Password Protected) as being a "Portfolio Photograph".
    Once the first photograph has been marked like that, a new Public gallery is automatically created called "Portfolio" (or any other default pre-set name) which will contain every photograph marked as "Portfolio Photograph" ...

... just an idea, I want to create a Portfolio on my Smugmug homepage and have most of the photographs I want to use already in other galleries. Would be nice if we didn't have to upload new ones but just mark existing ones as Portfolio material.

Thanks!
    -B
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Optionally force Full Screen Slideshow on email invite.
    I'd like the ability to force the recipient of an email invite to 1st view the gallery in the automatic fullscreen slideshow view (NOT the drop-down slide show option). Why? Because...

(1) (especially for 1st-time email invite recipients) an automatic slideshow requires no knowledge of how SmugMug works, or any knowledge of SmugMug's many viewing options (which can be a bit overwhelming, even for repeat viewers). Just click the "see photos" (better yet, how about a "see fullscreen slideshow" option when preparing the email????), and voila!, sit back and enjoy the show. One can opt-out at any time by hitting the escape key.

(2) even though I often provide viewing instructions (for how to launch the fullscreen slideshow) in the email invite itself, it's apparent from my analysis of Statcounter page view results that most of my recipients have difficulty, and frequently end-up in the wrong place in the gallery.

Related Request:
    Add the automatic Full Screen Slideshow link to the "Get a Link" list for cutting and pasting into an email or web link.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I'd like the ability to force the recipient of an email invite to 1st view the gallery in the automatic fullscreen slideshow view (NOT the drop-down slide show option). Why? Because...

(1) (especially for 1st-time email invite recipients) an automatic slideshow requires no knowledge of how SmugMug works, or any knowledge of SmugMug's many viewing options (which can be a bit overwhelming, even for repeat viewers). Just click the "see photos" (better yet, how about a "see fullscreen slideshow" option when preparing the email????), and voila!, sit back and enjoy the show. One can opt-out at any time by hitting the escape key.

(2) even though I often provide viewing instructions (for how to launch the fullscreen slideshow) in the email invite itself, it's apparent from my analysis of Statcounter page view results that most of my recipients have difficulty, and frequently end-up in the wrong place in the gallery.

Related Request:
    Add the automatic Full Screen Slideshow link to the "Get a Link" list for cutting and pasting into an email or web link.

EMAIL:

Dear Papajay, you should see my photos of Scotland! Click on this link :)

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5004377&AlbumKey=rYQfZ
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Not sure if this has been asked before, I didn't go through the entire thread.
    It would be great to be able to flag photographs across any kind of gallery (Public, Unlisted, even Password Protected) as being a "Portfolio Photograph".
    Once the first photograph has been marked like that, a new Public gallery is automatically created called "Portfolio" (or any other default pre-set name) which will contain every photograph marked as "Portfolio Photograph" ...

... just an idea, I want to create a Portfolio on my Smugmug homepage and have most of the photographs I want to use already in other galleries. Would be nice if we didn't have to upload new ones but just mark existing ones as Portfolio material.

Thanks!
    -B
    Thx for the request, you can do that now with a keyword gallery, post in the forum if interested in how-to thumb.gif
  • Options
    boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thx for the request, you can do that now with a keyword gallery, post in the forum if interested in how-to thumb.gif

Hah cool, thanks a lot Andy! Will do a search on keyboard-gallery first then ask if I can't figure it out!

One more request/question: I'd love for the photographs that I post on the web ( forums, emails, blogs, etc. - NOT my website) to have a white/black/custom-color frame extending Xpixels on each side. Currently, to do that, I have to either manually add that margin/frame in Photoshop, or manually create an Html & CSS rule to do it.

The Html & CSS method is fine for photographs I post on MY website since I have full control over the code, but would love if SmugMug would automatically (only for selected photographs maybe, or only for photographs with a tag at the end of the filename) do that for me.

Thanks again!
    Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
    Bogen 055XPROB
    Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV
  • Options
    raulpeschraulpesch Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Smugmug video feature requests
    I **love** the possibility to upload high quality video to Smugmug.
    Below are a few feature requests to make this service even better:

1) an indicator to show that the video is buffering. Currently the screen stays black if you have a slow(er) connection and this causes confusion with some viewers...

2) would be great if there was an option to display embedded videos 'undimmed'. Currently, embedded videos are dimmed until you press play.

3) an option to default to a specific format/size (eg. iPod format)

4) support for more codecs, specifically the VC1 codec used by Windows Movie Maker.

5) a new (more expensive) subscription model which allows uploading of larger, lengthier videos.

6) I saw this feature at another site: the possibility to give comments in the video (at a specific time/frame).
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Currently direct click on the larger picture does nothing in most cases. It would be nice if it could advance to the next image (or the first one if you're already on the last one)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    raulpesch wrote:
    I **love** the possibility to upload high quality video to Smugmug.
    Below are a few feature requests to make this service even better:

1) an indicator to show that the video is buffering. Currently the screen stays black if you have a slow(er) connection and this causes confusion with some viewers...

I agree with this one. I am finding viewers are very confused by a black screen while an HD video is loading. The Smugmug flash player needs more initial feedback (probably some sort of animation that shows download progress). The thermometer at the bottom isn't enough and it often goes away until you mouse over it again. We need something in the middle of the video area.

While we are ultimately going to delight them with quality video, their first impression is the opposite because they aren't sure whether it's working or whether it's broken and their experience, if anything, is probably a more instantaneous startup like YouTube has. I know we can't necessarily do that with the higher quality video, but that's why we have to show them good progress while it's loading.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AngryScotAngryScot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    all thumbs available from any gallery view?
    Would be wonderful to maintain my gallery settings (viewer controlled) but have a seperate button so the gallery can be viewed in all thumbnails to find an image. It is time consuming having to scroll through galleries that have 14+ pages to find a single image (yes I know I can search but this is from a "viewers prepective") also when I am hunting for a single image I normally switch the gallery to all thumbs find the image then set the gallery back to viewer controlled.

Thanks!

EDIT:

OK I am stupid, I didn't see the style drop downs on the top right! Did someone change this in the last few minutes? headscratch.gifeek7.gif:D
This discussion has been closed.