Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    SnakerootSnakeroot Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2008
    Yes!!!
    Awesome, I TOTALLY agree with you! I just came in here to see if anyone had raised the issue before. I couldn't possibly explain this idea to some of the computer illiterate members of my family and expect them to remember each time they viewed pics. SmugMug, PLEASE protect US, the people who PAY for your service and trust our photos to your safekeeping. Please do NOT overlook our security for the convenience of the freeloaders we share our pics with :)

Thank you!

Awesome wrote:
    Hi,

There is a really simple feature that would be great to change.
    When you put a site-wide protection password and even when you login, there is a box allowing to not be remembered on the computer.

It says: "I'm using a public computer, don't save this password."

So my request is pretty simple, can't you turn this sentence the other way, stating: "This is a trusted computer, please remember me the next visit"

Why am I asking this ?

1/ Every other site do it like that. For example, you login in yahoo, the box says "keep me signed in". Even this forum does it, proposing "remember me"
    And so if every other site (or the vast majority of them) do it like that, you are accustomed to it and usually would not check it on a public computer because you (or any of the viewer of your protected smugmug) are accustomed to check it only at your place.

2/ If you happen to forget to check the box, usually no big deal, but as with the system today, too bad for you, you are remembered.

3/ Ok I understand it can be a pain in the neck to have to put your password each time, so well maybe the first time, you will not check the box but then you will know and do it the first time (as you learnt to do using the other websites like yahoo and this forum)

4/ As with the system today, if your viewers do not check the box while looking at your smugmug in a public library, in a cybercoffee, at work or in a university facility... well too bad for you ne_nau.gif

The important thing is really for a site-wide protection. You give a unique password to all your friends and now you have at least 70 guys living their lives in different places and each time they happen to look at your smumug, not giving a damn to this box, they make more and more useless your password.

I find this feature really disturbing and thus would just like to see it turned the regular way, more secure and as convenient as the one in place (again, if you want to be remembered you just have to check a box)
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    dragonrant wrote:
    This is more of a nitpick than anything really. If I've already got a ton of pictures uploaded, why not let the user choose one of those as the profile picture instead of uploading a new one?

This is already available. Go to the photo, open the "Photo Tools" drop-down and choose "This is me".
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2008
    How about some kind of sets/folders within galleries? I'd love to divide things up in a gallery for clients. For example, have some way for clients to just view your favorites, or just formal shots, just candid, etc.
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    REALLY needed!!
    Ok, Andy... here's a chance to redeem yourself! :-)

A while back when I really started to get into customzing my site 360photostock.com I distinctly remember you telling me I that if I use this following naming format, my image titles would be turned into key words.

Here's the format you suggested at the time: my_flower.jpg

Then after I went and renamed many of my image titles, I found out from you that Smugmug had a "bug" that was being worked on which PREVENTED the system from finding the image titles as keywords based on that naming convention.

So, I abandoned that idea (a bit disappointed too mind you).

Fast forward to recently: I found out Smugmug had FIXED the bug that was keeping the system from turning our file names into keywords using the my_flower.jpg title format!

So, here's my request. Wanna guess? :-)

Allow us to CHANGE the file name of the images right in the Smugmug system. I would like to see that in the same place we are taken to when one clicks on one of the drop down choices in photo editing......

Edit Keywords / Captions. I'm hoping to see Edit File Name along with the already Edit Keywords, Edit Description.

Currently, in order to change the file name of our uploaded image........ we can't. We'd have to re-upload or replace every image AFTER changing all the filenames on our PC first. Not really practical :-)

TIA. I know it was not your fault specifically, Andy. But, you did direct me to do one thing, only to realize a bug in the system would not allow it to work.... AFTER I had done all the work :-(

Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Markjay wrote:
    TIA. I know it was not your fault specifically, Andy. But, you did direct me to do one thing, only to realize a bug in the system would not allow it to work.... AFTER I had done all the work :-(

Markjay
    I'm sorry Mark but I don't think that's possible :(
    I wish I had a better answer for you, I really, really do.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    brianb wrote:
    I'm pretty sure some of these have been mentioned before, but anyway...

1) The addition of "Hide Photo" is a good step, but could be improved by:
    a) give some obvious indication to the album owner which photos are hidden when they're browsing the album (a small overlay on the thumbnail corner, for instance)
    b) Bulk Hide Images. This would make it easy to see all images in a album, indicate which ones are hidden or not, and make to easy to just go through and click click click... save to change a whole bunch of images to hidden/not hidden.

2) Copy Album/Gallery. I like to upload a private album for each shoot for backup/order photos for me & family, but then for some albums I'd like to make images from it available for sale/public, but not with all the same images. It would be great to just say "Copy Album", and it creates an exact duplicate with a different album name ("Copy of ..."). Then it would be easy to go into the new album, remove images that I don't want public, and change the album settings. Currently I'd have to reupload the images (never make me reupload the same image!) or do "Make 2nd Copy" for each image and then move them (what if there's hundred's of images? Yuck!)

3) Image Make 2nd Copy (Bulk). Same reasoning as #2, but sometimes it'd be easier to just do mulitple images at once instead of the whole album.

4) Image Copy To... (single image and bulk versions.) Instead of the 2 step process of Making a 2nd Copy and then Moving the Image to a new location, combine this into one step.

All these should be easy enough, as I've started using the API to create my own interface to do these exact things!

5) Allow album owners to rate images 0-5 stars themselves (display of these ratings to the public can be a setting to toggle). It'd also be nice if this rating could be picked up from images exported from Adobe Bridge/Lightroom (although that's stored in XMP metadata not EXIF I believe). I currently go through images from a shoot, rate/flag them, export them, then upload them to smugmug (into a personal private gallery). Now see #2/#3 above (Copy Album). It'd be a whole lot easier for me to copy the best images into a public gallery if they already had the ratings from Lightroom (or if I could go through once and rate them). I'd also be a good option to sort images in a gallery by their rating. Currently I'm trying to compare filenames or pick & choose and its not very efficient (And reexporting/reuploading is impractical. I already uploaded the exact image I want to use, don't make me upload it again!)

Thanks for reading!
    Brian
    I second these suggestions. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    grapejapegrapejape Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    Snakeroot wrote:
    Awesome, I TOTALLY agree with you! I just came in here to see if anyone had raised the issue before. I couldn't possibly explain this idea to some of the computer illiterate members of my family and expect them to remember each time they viewed pics. SmugMug, PLEASE protect US, the people who PAY for your service and trust our photos to your safekeeping. Please do NOT overlook our security for the convenience of the freeloaders we share our pics with :)

Thank you!

I 3rd this idea. I have given my site-specific password out to a lot of family members who use it on "who know where" computers. I don't mind it asking them every single time they access the site for it.

I wonder if this causes problems with the way Smugmug "grandfathers" in passwords though. For example, if you have three galleries with the same password - you only have to enter it once and then you can access all three.

- Jason

- Jason
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2008
    RE: file names
    I'm sorry also :-(

But you know Andy, I don't believe that it's not possible....
    it's just not requested enough. If enough paying customers requested it....
    it would become possible.

Thank you for responding at least.

Markjay

Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry Mark but I don't think that's possible :(
    I wish I had a better answer for you, I really, really do.
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    superunknownsuperunknown Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2008
    Email Lists in Address Book?
    I share albums with several friends and family, and frequently enough that it's painful not to have a way to group addresses into lists. Am I missing something? SmugMug calls itself "The ultimate photo sharing site," and yes, I'm very happy with it, but this seems to be an important feature that's missing when it comes to photo sharing. :-)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    I share albums with several friends and family, and frequently enough that it's painful not to have a way to group addresses into lists. Am I missing something? SmugMug calls itself "The ultimate photo sharing site," and yes, I'm very happy with it, but this seems to be an important feature that's missing when it comes to photo sharing. :-)
    Thanks for the FR!
  • Options
    SnakerootSnakeroot Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Batch downloads
    YES! I completely agree. Batch downloads would be a great thing. I have heard that even when you add multiple photos to the cart and buy the downloads, you still have to download one picture at a time. I haven't tried this yet, but if this is the case, what a pain! If there's no "free" way to download a batch of pics, at least make the paid process easier.

greenpea wrote:
    Right now you can only download a single image at a time by either right clicking or selecting "Save Photo". How about the ability to select multiple images (like you do in the shopping cart) and then be able to download those selected images in a single bundled up zip file?
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Layout SmugMug search results page
    Following my statcounter results I've noticed that visitors seem to find the SmugMug search results page on my site very inconvenient and confusing making they immediately leave the site.

Very often, visitors enter my site through a photo link (sent via e-mail by another visitor) or through a google search and then they are "caught" in a gallery. If the images are not what they look for, instinctively they enter a keyword in the search box top right.

When they enter a keyword in the search box, they only get the results of the keywords in the gallery they currently are in. If this keyword cannot be found in the gallery, they get no results.

I noticed that ALL visitors leave the site when there come up no results. The visitors seem not to notice that the search is just limited to the gallery they are in and they don't seem to know they have not searched my whole site.

Also, they seem NOT to notice that above the gallery search results, there is the notification (in smaller print) "searching in:.... OR search in:....." and they neglect these options to search my site (perhaps they don't notice these options in grey and white color).

In conclusion: the layout of the search results page is visually NOT convenient and is very confusing to the visitors.

I'd want a revamp of the search results page/possibilities, eventually a complete standard site search when visitors enter a keyword (instead of a standard gallery search) or at least visually very clear instructions to do a search, and if possible with more options, like "gallery search", "category search", "entire site seach", "smugmug search" BEFORE initially clicking the search button.

Luc
  • Options
    colinjcolinj Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    You can put me down as yet another user requesting nested categories and for individual galleries to belong to multiple categories.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Also, they seem NOT to notice that above the gallery search results, there is the notification (in smaller print) "searching in:.... OR search in:....." and they neglect these options to search my site (perhaps they don't notice these options in grey and white color).
    Add this to your CSS :D

#otherSearches {
    border: 2px solid red;
    background: white;
    padding: 2px 0 0 10px;}
    #otherSearches .title {color: red !important;}
    #otherSearches a.nav {color: red !important;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    SynchroSynchro Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    Question about interfacing with Pro labs
    This is my first time using the forum. I read that one of the new upcoming features with the new cart is the ability to interface with pro labs. Is there any way to get some details on this. My "day job" is managing a Photo Processing Shop with plans to incorporate a portrait studio into the mix and we are keeping our fingers crossed that we may soon be able to have the ability to have our portrait customers order online via SM (we currently are set up with another company - but the quality of the photos on the screen are no comparison to SM), but allow us to do the order fulfillment - is this part of the plan?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    What would be nice is if there was a Family & Friends log in password like the
    Guest password but only allow captions and keywords to be changed, nothing
    else.
  • Options
    TomNisbetTomNisbet Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2008
    Report on Gallery Settings
    This weekend I created a bunch of new galleries and sent out emails to let people know that they were available. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that I forgot to set proof delay until the first order was placed and shipped using my cruddy, compressed images from the gallery.

It would be great to have a reporting screen that shows a summary of the gallery settings, with one line per gallery and columns for the settings. This would give a quick view of my overall site, where I'd be able to quickly pick out missed configurations. As it is, it is easy to inadvertently mess up a setting or to forget to copy settings to a gallery.

After realizing the mistake, I used SmugBrowser (awesome!) to bulk-apply some settings, but even with that, there is no good way to see multiple gallery settings to get confidence that all is OK.

Cmon, I know you must have a few summer coding interns there looking for something to do! :-)
  • Options
    pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Link Photos to different galleries
    I second this request. I need several virtual galleries with photos that overlap into each... Something like the ability to select many photos at once, then choose "Link to Gallery" option that would link the photos to a different Gallery
    NWMtnGuy wrote:
    I'm sure many people have already echoed this comment, but "virtual galleries" are probably my #1 feature request. I am planning to add photo galleries based on geography, but one of the challenges is that I also want to present some photos based on a different photographic theme. For example, I may have sub-categories based on each country in South America, but I also want a virtual gallery called South American Portraits which features individual photos from many different galleries in different sub-categories. This would be much easier to manage than having multiple copies of photos, and would make sure all comments get attached to a single copy of the photo.

At the risk of mentioning the competition (competition is good, right?!), Zenfolio does a really good job of this through "collections". I'm sure you guys have played with it, but I think they have that feature nailed.

Dale
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    I second this request. I need several virtual galleries with photos that overlap into each... Something like the ability to select many photos at once, then choose "Link to Gallery" option that would link the photos to a different Gallery
    You can do that now with keywords. Add a "virtual gallery" keyword,
    something like "gallery1", to photos for the gallery and use this link.

http://nickname.smugmug.com/keyword/gallery1

You can add multiple keywords to the same photo so they show in the
    different "virtual"/keyword galleries.
  • Options
    scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2008
    Forgive me if this was addressed in the previous 50 pages of this thread. :D

I would also like better statistics reporting, or at least the statistics available as some sort of downloadable file. I don't even mind if the downloadable statistics were the current set of statistics. I just want to be able to hang on to them.

Since this currently is not an option, I began setting up a database for me to store my info. This brings me to my second request...

I would like the previous month's individual photo stats be available for at least 2-4 weeks after the month they represent ends. In other words, I would like to still have access to June's photo statistics during the month of July. SmugMug still provides the gallery summary stats so it would appear that SmugMug still has the info.

Thanks!
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    Almost there...virtually
    Allen wrote:
    You can do that now with keywords. Add a "virtual gallery" keyword,
    something like "gallery1", to photos for the gallery and use this link.

http://nickname.smugmug.com/keyword/gallery1

You can add multiple keywords to the same photo so they show in the
    different "virtual"/keyword galleries.

Allen, the process you described above works pretty well (online)...I can identify a group of photos from across all of my galleries using single or multiple keywords in combination. I can then (online) view them in slideshow mode...that's cool.

I see that I can add all of them (and even deselect some after adding them) to the shopping cart for purchase...that's cool too.

What I can't do (unless the capability is there, and I'm just not aware of it)at this point is:

1) arrange the photos in the virtual keyword gallery (to display in a different order, for example, in slideshow mode).

2) deselect (or simply hide) some of the photos in the virutal keyword gallery I created. I suppose I could get creative with additional keyword edits to accopmlish this, but that would seem to be a rather cumbersome exercise.

3)"Re-caption" the photos in the virtual keyword gallery....why?...because the captions on the "original" photos (from their original galleries) will very likely be entirely out of context in the virtual keyword gallery.

4) "Save" the virtual keyword gallery to my SM homepage with the modifications made in 1, 2, and 3 above.

5) "download" a copy of my virtual keword gallery to my local drive for further processing (to make my own dvd slideshow with music, for example).

I'm still confident (OK, "hoping") that SmugMug will soon provide the capability to perform each of these five feature requests. I want to acknowledge you and PBolchiver (the king of gallery re-directs which, for some reason, is still a mystery beyond my grasp), and others for the "workarounds" and assistance you've offered to fill the virtual gallery gap.

Thanks, PapaJay
  • Options
    emjaydeeemjaydee Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2008
    customized slideshows
    I think it would be great if you could create a custom slideshow in a gallery that only showed certain pictures. Maybe it could work similar to the "move to other galleries" tool, where you could select all the pictures you want in the slideshow, name the slideshow, and then the tool would spit out a custom link you could give to friends/family/whoever so that they would only see the photos you wanted in the slideshow.

Otherwise, the only way to accomplish this is to make a new gallery with just the photos you want them to see in the slideshow right?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2008
    emjaydee wrote:
    I think it would be great if you could create a custom slideshow in a gallery that only showed certain pictures. Maybe it could work similar to the "move to other galleries" tool, where you could select all the pictures you want in the slideshow, name the slideshow, and then the tool would spit out a custom link you could give to friends/family/whoever so that they would only see the photos you wanted in the slideshow.

Otherwise, the only way to accomplish this is to make a new gallery with just the photos you want them to see in the slideshow right?
    You can keyword to a group of photos you want in a certain slideshow and use
    the keyword feedURL. I did this here with a whole bunch of different
    keywords. Click "See slideshow" under most of the thumbs. On any of the show
    pages see the slideshow selection menu to change shows.
  • Options
    emjaydeeemjaydee Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2008
    Interesting, that might work. I could just assign a specific keyword to the group I want in the gallery. Its not as clean a solution as I was thinking of, but it would definately work....thanks

Allen wrote:
    You can keyword to a group of photos you want in a certain slideshow and use
    the keyword feedURL. I did this here with a whole bunch of different
    keywords. Click "See slideshow" under most of the thumbs. On any of the show
    pages see the slideshow selection menu to change shows.
  • Options
    danny ddanny d Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Increase number of Featured Galleries
    I love the featured galleries idea, however with having so many galleries I thought having the availabilty to showcase more than four would be extremely useful !
  • Options
    digitalitiesdigitalities Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2008
    Watermark generator tool
    I'm experimenting several ways to create watermark (font colors, type, text, etc) and I realize that it would be really handy to have a watermark generator tool included in SmugMug.

Simple and useful with at least:
    - font size
    - font type
    - text colour
    - text (single line)

something really simple that would help to create watermarks as those you placed in the new smugmug homepage slideshow without using external programs. (E.g.: simpler than this http://creatr.cc/creatr/)

I'm getting too spoiled? headscratch.gif (that's possible)

- Sergio
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2008
    When using the date range search.... is there a way to display the results in the order of the picture being taken?

I did a search of photos from July 6 thru July 9
    http://thegearharts.smugmug.com/date/2008-07-6/2008-07-9#328702996_ygej7

The results list the most recently taken photo first and the oldest photo last.

Seems it would make more sense to reverse that order. I mean, the "start day" is July 6, and the "stop day" is July 9. The start picture should, then, be a July 6 picture.

It would also be nice, at that point, to be able to use July 9 as the "start day" and July 6 as the "stop day", which would display newest results first. Doing a search like that shows no results.

Hope that makes sense.
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Dynamic Virtual Galleries
    I've been a member for 2 weeks now and I very fustrated at not having a virtual gallery type solution.

Seems like it would be simple create user defined dynamic gallery (or virtual gallery). In the "Customize Gallery" screen, add a "Dynamic" section that allows us to define the search filter that dynamically populates the gallery... That way everyone could create their galleries anyway they see fit...

For example, you could be very generic in the Dynamic section, like:
    Keyword contains "Boys Camp"

Or you could get very specific like:
    Date Taken > 1/1/2008
    and Date Taken < 2/1/2008
    and Camera contains "40D"
    and Keyword contains "flowers"
    and Keyword contains "red"
    and keyword contains "Customer: Walmart"

This way, all we need to do is just tag new photos with keywords, and they show up in the correct galleries automagically!

Rhuarc wrote:
    I had a couple of features that I was wondering what the current status of the requests was. If this is the wrong thread to do this in, or if it needs a new thread please feel free!

1) Virtual Galleries - I realize this has been requested for a very long time, but I was wondering if there was any further updates on this. The ability to upload a picture one time to a main gallery category and then have that photo displayed in numerous other Virtual galleries would be fantastic! (and yes, I know all about all of the workarounds, they just aren't that streamlined and are kind of a PITA IMHO)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Request Detail for Packages when they finally arrive!
    I have posted this before...but with the new changes to the cart in prep for things like packages, I thought I'd put it in again:

I would like the ability to allow customers to put multiple images into a package. For example, if I have Package #1 = 1 8x10 and 2 5x7s for $3.5 Million, I would like to allow my customers to select one image for the 8x10 and perhaps a different one for the 2 5x7s. The packaging is for pricing purposes, not necessarily multiples of the same image.

Personally, I don't have a problem if I'm restricted to images from the same gallery, though having the ability to mix images from different galleries into a package pricing structure has it's attraction as well.

Is any of this in the thought pattern for packages???

Thanks,
    - Gary.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2008
    Thoughts on upload from CS3
    I've just used the Upload images from Bridge add-on and it's terrific!!! My first experience was pretty positive...here are a couple of thoughts for potential improvements:
    • The whole process needs a visual envelope:
      • The windows that pop up during the transfer are on a file by file basis. There are pauses between each file during which you're not sure if there is more work to be done. The completion screen pops up after a substantial delay...folks on dgrin are already commenting that they're closing before seeing the completion message.
      • If there were some kind of visual 'in progress' indicator (eg., uploading 3 of 29), we could tell where we were in the process and have a feeling for how much longer to wait, etc.
    • Selecting the gallery
      • The list of galleries is at it's most granular level, it would be nice to have the hierarchy of our category / sub category / gallery maintained. This would make it easier to select locations
      • Galleries are selected with a single click and the upload starts immediately. I clicked on the wrong gallery once and found myself scrambling to cancel, delete files, etc. Have a one-click highlite for gallery selection and then a separate fixed-location upload button similar to the bulk modification tools. An additional keystroke would be worth avoiding the mishap.
    Thanks! Again, a very nice (and needed) feature!

- Gary.
This discussion has been closed.