Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    good linky courtesy of petteri
    petteri sulonen's site
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Terriific link. What does he mean about a store "sizing" an artist's brush? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    That was cool, great web site. After doing the Copper Hill thing, I really think a brush will get most of the standard stuff. I balked at paying $100 for a set of brushes, but the Cotman 777 I can get locally for $11 and for the extra money saved I am more than happy to wash the brush a couple times to get the coating off thumb.gif

I was out in sub zero weather shooting landscapes and I noticed a spot that wouldn't budge, probably from condensation. The wet method was still the only way it would go away.
  • clicketclicket Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Has anyone tried the sensor brush?

I've read good things so far.

The price has kept me away so far.

Dave
    I have, and found it most effective. Expensive ? Utterly, but I now offer my friends to clean their sensors. Friendship has no price... mwink.gif
    -- Christian (B->
  • risourcerisource Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    lots o spots
    Afraid I had spots on my shots, I did what you said. I went immediately outside, set f/22 in aperture preferred mode, raised the camera to my eye and looked straight up and took a few shots of the sky.

I didn't need to go to photoshop to see them. There were spots all over the image. In fact, there were spots even on the lens, the camera, and my glasses.

I guess I have to wait until it is not raining and go do it again.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    No mirror lock up...
    In all of the directions to clean the sensor, the first step is to "lock up the mirror"

Well, I have an unhacked 300D that doesn't have mirror lock up.
    What do I do?

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    davev wrote:
    In all of the directions to clean the sensor, the first step is to "lock up the mirror"

What do I do?

dave.
    Dave maybe Im missing something here.
    You should have a setting for sensor clean on your cam.That will lock the mirror up and open the shutter.
    edited April 2, 2005
    davev wrote:

What do I do?

dave.
    Read your manual. AS MHJS says, there's a menu setting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Read your manual. AS MHJS says, there's a menu setting.
    Yep, press menu button, go 3 to the right, and there it is.

thanks.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2005
    OK, my sensor needs cleaning. The manual says to use nothing but a bulb, no brush, blowing the air in. No canned air. This is the popular Canon 20D. It says not to put ANYTHING past the place where the lens goes, just to blow the air in from the bulb.

I read about half the pages here, and it doesn't sound like the method in my manual is going to do anything except make a bunch of techs laugh.

I owned the Rebel a year and didn't have the trouble with dust that I am having now after 2 months.

Scared to clean it and scared not to, too broke to have it done or to buy expensive "brushes" that I am not supposed to use anyway. I would just clone over the dust, but it doesn't seem to show up until I post the shots, then it shows up big time, everyone notices it, even I can see it before it is through.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited April 4, 2005
    Ginger,go ahead and try a blower.It may help.Face the cam down and blow up into it.It could dislodge the bigger stuff.
    I was scared to death the first time I tried the other methods posted here.In fact I still get nervous which ever way I do it.
    I found that the easiest way for me was the brush method.
    New cameras have fleck, its tiny flakes of the new parts wearing in.Blowing may get rid of it.
    Another thing I found out is changing lenses.I will not do this outside and I do it as quick as possible with the lens off,holding the cam downward.
    Also check your back lens element.I been using a blower on those as well.I have seen some big stuff come off.
    edited May 2, 2005
    blow first, then copperhill method
    i've been using a blower first, then the copperhill method.

here's a little animation that shows the results

21055981-L.gif

as you can see, the blower takes care of most of the dust. one quick pass with the sensorswipe, and i was done. note that i don't get crazy, you can see that there's still some tiny bits of dust on the lower right corner - you'll never, ever see this on screen or in print - remember, when you test shoot, you're shooting at f/22 against a sky so you can see what's there! in real life, at a resonable aperture, those last little mots will never be seen so i don't worry 'bout 'em :D
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2005
    When do you decide that it is cleaning time? I started to notice some spots when shooting product over a white background, I tried the blower bulb route and amazingly the big ones went away. Now I am wondering if I should still clean copperhill route? Should I clean this?

Sky, F22 auto leveled in Nikon Editor
    21339820-M.jpg

Same shot not auto leveled for those like me who didn't understand at first why
    21339817-M.jpg

James.
    edited May 5, 2005
    The way I look at it is if I dont see it on the images I shoot ,no need to clean it.
    Why take risks?
    I dont use auto levels on my images at f22 or any for that matter.
    That is just a guage to see how dirty it is.
    If I see them at f8 I clean:D
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Well I went to the store tonight and bout a sensor cleaning kit. :uhoh all it did was rearange it and the sensor swabs that are listed on the website are all sold out. I have the eclipse now I just have to find a good sensor swab cause the ones in the kit sucked. Oh well I tried, I didn't break it, and I can clean it when I can get some good swabs.

If you try this make sure you have good swabs. I blew it out first with some air and that didn't do too much.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited June 28, 2005
    Warning!!!!!!
    WARNING!!!!

If you get the copperhill kit, or the SensorSwip by it's self, do NOT carry it in carry-on when you fly. Security in Manila was not amused last week, it seems that the SensorSwip looks like a knife in X-Ray, they tried to tear it apart to be sure there was not a blade hidden in it. Put it in your check-in.

James.
    edited June 29, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    WARNING!!!!

If you get the copperhill kit, or the SensorSwip by it's self, do NOT carry it in carry-on when you fly. Security in Manila was not amused last week, it seems that the SensorSwip looks like a knife in X-Ray, they tried to tear it apart to be sure there was not a blade hidden in it. Put it in your check-in.

James.
    Thanks for the tip, very interesting.
    Sid.
  • dpfranzdpfranz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2005
    blower/baby snot sucker
    andy wrote:
    i agree with waxilodeon, the blower blows. get some eclipse, and a spatula and wipes from copperhill, and do it proper. usually one or two swipes is all it takes.

and no more fugly!
    I have used a baby snot sucker (little bulb blower) ever since my first DSLR, and have never had any problems. I have never had to touch a sensor, and the occasional dust bunny comes right off with the bulb blower, which I bought at the drug store for about $5. I do occasionally combine it with my vacuum cleaner hose from an inch or two away, just to help get rid of the dust, rather than leave it in the camera.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited July 7, 2005
    2 good tips
    dpfranz wrote:
    I have used a baby snot sucker (little bulb blower) ever since my first DSLR, and have never had any problems. I have never had to touch a sensor, and the occasional dust bunny comes right off with the bulb blower, which I bought at the drug store for about $5.
    Drug store, eh? Good tip #1
    dpfranz wrote:
    I do occasionally combine it with my vacuum cleaner hose from an inch or two away, just to help get rid of the dust, rather than leave it in the camera.
    Vaccuum assist. Good tip #2

thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited July 22, 2005
    Drug store bulb blower
    Drug store bulb blower:

If you use any blower, clean it first with dishwashing detergent and several rinses to get any release powder out of it. (Dry it thoroughly before using it, of course.) When blower bulbs are formed in the factory, they use a mold to form the shape of the bulb. The mold is coated with either a silicone release compound or a dry release powder. That powder can be a pain if blown unintentionally into a camera.

One fellow on the DPReview forums had terrible problems with the powder evidently contaminating the sensor.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 22, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Drug store, eh? Good tip #1

Vaccuum assist. Good tip #2

thumb.gif
    All I can say is that I tried that with a vengeance, and it didn't work. Both the blowing and the sucking.

For me, they both sucked.
    Sid.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Drug store bulb blower:

If you use any blower, clean it first with dishwashing detergent and several rinses to get any release powder out of it. (Dry it thoroughly before using it, of course.) When blower bulbs are formed in the factory, they use a mold to form the shape of the bulb. The mold is coated with either a silicone release compound or a dry release powder. That powder can be a pain if blown unintentionally into a camera.

One fellow on the DPReview forums had terrible problems with the powder evidently contaminating the sensor.

ziggy53
    Thanks ziggy...i got my giotto rocket blower in the mail last night & was about an hour from doing the job. I will recon & re-deploy.thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    edited August 7, 2005
    so, dslr owners, have *you* cleaned your sensor lately? deal.gif
    edited August 7, 2005
    *** warning do not use a vacuum! ***
    dpfranz wrote:
    I have used a baby snot sucker (little bulb blower) ever since my first DSLR, and have never had any problems. I have never had to touch a sensor, and the occasional dust bunny comes right off with the bulb blower, which I bought at the drug store for about $5. I do occasionally combine it with my vacuum cleaner hose from an inch or two away, just to help get rid of the dust, rather than leave it in the camera.

sorry but i must disagree with you, dpfranz. folks have reported horror stories about this. and it makes sense. do not use a vacuum of any kind, big, small, whatever, on your sensor. to much chance for user-error here deal.gif

btw, a baby snot blower? :nono why spend about $1000 on a camera body and then scrimp a few bucks on a blower? get the real thing... a giottos rocket blower for a few seconds (cost, about {url=http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=772203&search=giottos+rocket+blower]$12 usd[/url] to get any big bunnies out... then swabs. i use the copperhill method.
    edited August 7, 2005
    The way I look at it is if I dont see it on the images I shoot ,no need to clean it.
    Why take risks?
    I dont use auto levels on my images at f22 or any for that matter.
    That is just a guage to see how dirty it is.
    If I see them at f8 I clean:D

15524779-Ti.gif!
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    WARNING!!!!

James.
    And the eclipse fluid is pure methanol, you aren't ment to take that on the plane either, it turns you into a radical nut job or something.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I must soon but I'm skeered eek7.gif and I have the liquid and the proper $50 worth of swaby things to last a lifetime....
    edited August 13, 2005
    jogle wrote:
    And the eclipse fluid is pure methanol, you aren't ment to take that on the plane either, it turns you into a radical nut job or something.
    :uhoh They didn't notice that one and I didn't think of it.

James.
  • AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2005
    Ooh, that was nifty...invaluable thread indeed!
    'lock up and clean up', that is!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    So.. I was feeling brave and I cleaned my sensor... all excited looked through my lens and the motts are all still there ne_nau.gif so.. I cleaned it AGAIN! and they are still there... :uhoh sloshed some on the lens and stuff but where are these little crittors...eek7.gif