Options

Sensor cleaning

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 22, 2006
    If you're going to go the brush route, I would suggest buying the Sensor Sweep brush from Copperhill for $12, rather than the one from Visible Dust for $107.

Although, be aware that the brush probably requires just as much, if not more technique than swabbing. The brush has to be scrupulously clean, and electrostatically charged. Then you get to make exactly one pass, clean and charge it again before making another pass. If you make two swipes with one clean/charge, you're guaranteed to redeposit the dust that you removed on the first pass right back onto the sensor (DAMHIK).

Your arsenal of sensor cleaning supplies should include a blower, brush and wet cleaning kit (e.g., Copperhill), and you should try them in that order. The idea being that blowing is least intrusive and least effective, while swabbing is the most intrusive and most effective.
  • Options
    SizemoreSizemore Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2006
    Cleaning the sensor
    What do you use? Has anyone here used this product?

CLICKY
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Sizemore wrote:
    What do you use? Has anyone here used this product?

CLICKY

nod.gif
    It works well.
    Sometimes a wet method will be needed.
    Read all the directions.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Sorry I didn’t mean to put this in the wrong section or start a new thread on the same topic. I never looked in here and saw this thread. Even an old blind hog like me can be led to find an acorn.
    After being led here and taking the time to read this thread I believe I’m going to give the Visible Dust method a try. It’s a bit expensive but O well..! I’ll drop back in here and let y’all know how the slaughter of those irritating dust bunnies goes. Thanks!
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    fish wrote:
    I just turned the body upside down, gave it a big honkin' blowjob with the Giotto rocket, snapped a sky shot, and boom! All the spots are still there. umph.gif

Another solution is to not shoot sky at f29. lol3.gif

I read a bunch of reviews on the Sensor Brush...sounds like a miracle. But $90 USD for two paint brushes?!
    Buy a makup brush(Nylon), preferably non glued(glued ones take more work).
    Wash with detergent. Leave to dry. Test on a filter, should leave no smugdes. there you are, done!
  • Options
    dasfasddasfasd Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2006
    sorry
  • Options
    AnsonAnson Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    sensor cleaning..methanol with swab technique ?
    I see that Eclipse methanol has been recommended for sensor cleaning with the swab method....

Ques:

Is it safe to use any (over the counter/ camera store) form of methanol for sensor cleaning purposes..

thanks
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Anson wrote:
    I see that Eclipse methanol has been recommended for sensor cleaning with the swab method....

Ques:

Is it safe to use any (over the counter/ camera store) form of methanol for sensor cleaning purposes..

thanks

This link made alot of sense to me and seemed to cover all bases and points of view very well

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/a_Brush_Your_Sensor/a_Brush_Your_Sensor.html

May I take your picture?
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    I received the visibledust kit the other day. I tried to remove the dust bunnies first with just the brush method without any luck. I used the swabs and sensor clean liquid and WOW that did it…..here’s a before and after.
    Large pix NOT dial up friendly.

Before1

Before2

After1

After2

It’s a bit expensive but you get what you pay for and it did a fine job of safely removing those nasty dust bunnies. Product shipping was fast and packaging was very professionally done. Mission accomplished….dust bunnies killed! clap.gif
  • Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I got my first SLR in Febuary and have taken over 5000 pics in the last 3 months. I suspect that I am overdue for a cleaning.

I'm a big fan of owners manuals and my owners manual says all kinds of stuff about what NOT to do to clean out my camera with scary words about destroying my camera by sticking things on the sensor.

I know that somewhere on the web is a page with detailed instructions about cleaning the sensor on my camera by someone who KNOWS what they are talking about and possibly 10 more by "some guy" who was told by his cousin Jeb that this is the way it's done, even though Jeb has never owned a camera.

I would appreciate to added knowlege.
    Thanks!
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    I don't have a Nikon, so I don't know your menus ettings. Also, you don't say if you want to do the wet or dry cleaning.

I'll describe what I do to the Canons.

I set the camera on the tripod, facing as directly down as I can get it, and as high as I can get it. Facing down, so no dust drops in, and high so that I can easily reach up and under.

I remove the lens or body cap. I go into the camera's menu and set the camera to its sensor cleaning setting: this keeps the shutter open and the mirror up, exposing the sensor. It will stay this way until the battery dies or I turn it off. Good idea to have a battery with lots of life in it. You don't want things snapping shut in the middle of cleaning.

I use the Sensor Brush. I blow the brush thoroughly for 10 seconds with compressed air. I make one swipe across the sensor. I clean the brush for another 10 seconds with compressed air. I make another swipe across the sensor, trying to hit areas I missed the first time. I may repeat this routine 4-5 times, just to be safe. When I'm done, I immediately put a cap on the open body, and turn the camera off.

Ready for action.

That detailed enough, Kat?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That detailed enough, Kat?

Yep, I suppose it is... Pray for me... If I kill this camera, it'll break my heart!

I just ripped apart my dishwasher and successfully fixed it. Quite fearlessly, I might add. But the idea of doing any possible harm to my dear camera instills a fear into my heart.

Thanks!
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    Yep, I suppose it is... Pray for me... If I kill this camera, it'll break my heart!

I just ripped apart my dishwasher and successfully fixed it. Quite fearlessly, I might add. But the idea of doing any possible harm to my dear camera instills a fear into my heart.

Thanks!
    Kat
    If you don't use the chisel or the screwdriver, you'll be fine. Or the hammer. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Laughing.gif. Yeah, as long as you're patient & careful you'll be fine. I use the well-known "copperhill" kit & am happy with the results. He has extensive instructions here: http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

For Nikons, AFAIK they want the AC adapter in order to lock the shutter open, unlike Canon. This is why I haven't cleaned my sister's D100--holding it open on bulb is just too risky & she doesn't have the AC adapter.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Had my sensor cleaned by a shop once in 14 months. I open that body in absolute filthy enviroments almost weekly & it rarely ever gets a major spot...if it does i puff it with a rocket blower.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    gus wrote:
    i puff it with a rocket blower.
    eek7.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    eek7.gif
    You own a DSLR & not a rocket blower ???? :uhoh Shirley we misunderstand each other.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    gus wrote:
    You own a DSLR & not a rocket blower ???? :uhoh Shirley we misunderstand each other.
    lol3.gif I have one. I just never imagined you were a puffer.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif I have one. I just never imagined you were a puffer.
    Im still waiting on a lung transplant after choofing away on some stogies in the car with steve & andy this time last year for 3 days.....man those 2 are a bad influence on a clean living young lad.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    which side (sensor) is up?
    ...completed 1st step of sensor cleaning...drums.gif

I took the before picture at F22 ...

Good lordy.... ridiculously filthy!
    IMG_3849sensorbefore.jpg

"If you could look through the back of the camera/sensor your image would be upside down and flipped horizontally. Imagine in photoshop the image is correct, though the back of the camera you would just do a 180 deg rotate.

I would think the dust in your case would be in the lower left of the sensor as you look into the front of the camera." Patch29...

question .... So, looking at this photo, the top half of the photo is obviously the worst by a country mile, when I am about to use the eclipse with swab method, should I press a tiny bit more on the section of sensor/protector that is the dirtiest (when about to clean the sensor/protector- will it be the top or bottom half, which is the dirtiest as I look through the front of the camera?

I remember reading a few posts on practing swipes before actually cleaning the sensor and the specific pressure to use....can't seem to find that post/s, if anyone could direct me to that explanation, it would be most appreciated as well.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    Bottom half.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    thanks
    Sid,

I just found the -how to link- on my latest pass through this thread ..I am set to go!

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=79272&postcount=4
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    Foghorn
    Sid, I just clicked on your Foghorn link....to funny!

I watched every Bugs Bunny and Gang cartoon ever made, probably 20-40 times!

Perhaps this is at least one reason why I could not figure out where the dirt is found on the sensor....tooo much time in front of the boob tube as a kid!
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2006
    So I recently picked up a pack of 'sensor swabs' - $50 seems like an awful lot for a little plastic spatula wrapped in a small piece of pec pad. Has anyone had success in keeping these plastic spatulas and making their own out of a 100 pack of pec pads?
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    Anson wrote:
    Sid, I just clicked on your Foghorn link....to funny!

I watched every Bugs Bunny and Gang cartoon ever made, probably 20-40 times!

Perhaps this is at least one reason why I could not figure out where the dirt is found on the sensor....tooo much time in front of the boob tube as a kid!
    lol3.gif

Enjoy your sensor cleaning!
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    TylerW wrote:
    So I recently picked up a pack of 'sensor swabs' - $50 seems like an awful lot for a little plastic spatula wrapped in a small piece of pec pad. Has anyone had success in keeping these plastic spatulas and making their own out of a 100 pack of pec pads?
    If you Google around you'll find folks have made their own sticks.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2006
    I purchases new spatula
    sp (purchased)

at kitchenware shop -of course!

hopefully my measurement was correct -(Rebel)- before cutting the proper width for the spatula...
    just yesterday, recieved the eclipse and pec pads ....intend to clean the camera later today...

I'll post my after shot after I give the camera a couple/three swipes?!!headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ssdsarahssdsarah Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2006
    I just ordered a kit for this... I have to admit that I am a little scared to do it but I am so irritated about the freakin' piece (probably pieces but it is the one big one that is bothering me...) of dust right smack in the middle of my shots that I am willing to do it.

I actually can't wait for the stuff to get here. I can't believe how many pictures I took in Alaska that I am going to have to take the dang dust spot off of. I am usually a person who avoids messing with the pictures after the fact. I am quite perterbed about how much extra time this is gonna cost me...

Cheers all!
    ~Sarah~
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2006
    Copperhill Method
    Tried and true, still using it. Works great.

97904024-M.jpg

not quite there,
    97903452-M.jpg

ahhh 2nd time works great :D
    97903461-M.jpg
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2006
    Question for you guys.
    Can I subsitute Ethanol/methanol with Acetone? Or will it dissolve the sensor coating?
    Andy wrote:
    Tried and true, still using it. Works great.

97904024-Th.jpg

not quite there,
    97903452-Th.jpg

ahhh 2nd time works great :D
    97903461-Th.jpg