Options

Sensor cleaning

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Just a follow up ........ Oh My God I Did It clap.gif :ivar clap.gif
    All by myself I tell you I am shocked at how easy it is to clean the sensor.

Ohhhhh boy why is the fear factor so strong when it comes to the inside of the camera??

I was terrified to attempt to do it in case I really stuffed up,
    but if you follow the directions, and study the pictures all should be fine.

Took me six goes to get the grease off the sensor,
    but I'm so relieved to know I can do it myself from now on.

Happy as a pig in mud I am, I am thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

Ohhhhh boy why is the fear factor so strong when it comes to the inside of the camera??

I've read here (DGrin) and other places that the prevailing opinion is that the need to clean the sensor generally decreases over time. The thought being that a lot of the dirt/grease/grim that is being cleaned off the sensor filter early on is stuff that is "left over" from the camera manufacturing process.

I don't know if this is actually true, but my experience has tended to bear this out. I used to have to clean the sensor filter about once a month. Now it's the required frequency has dropped to about once every 2 months (depending on where I've been shooting and how often I've swapped lenses).

As for the suggestion that a "Dirtiest Sensor" thread be started - well, here it is! - so, like I say there, "I showed you mine, now show me yours!mwink.gif"
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Skippy wrote:

I followed ArtScott's recommendation and went with the Copperhill method. The proprietor is fabulous and the hand-holding can't be beat;. nevertheless, i related to your post because, quite literally, when I actually did it for the first time my hands were shaking! Haven't had occasion to try it again b/c the sensor looks good.