Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 19, 2008
    Bless youz for being so helpful. You could be after us with pitchforks and torches (I had a few of those today) and we'd understand, so it's really great of you to provide so many details when it's our bug.

What makes this one so nasty is we haven't been able to find a machine where we can replicate the problem. Don and Shizam think they're onto something at the moment, though, so we have all fingers crossed.
  • Options
    jasoncainejasoncaine Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    the Play Slideshow button that I see on other's galleries is not available on my galleries. How do I access that?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    jasoncaine wrote:
    the Play Slideshow button that I see on other's galleries is not available on my galleries. How do I access that?
    Might need to delete this in your CSS.

/* removes the full-screen slideshow buttons */
    .play_slideshow {
    display: none;
    }
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jasoncainejasoncaine Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Might need to delete this in your CSS.

/* removes the full-screen slideshow buttons */
    .play_slideshow {
    display: none;
    }

Duh on my part! That is pretty sweet looking show! Is there a way to disable the thumbs on the bottom so it is just a slideshow without the thumbs and navigation. Also ... not working in firefox ... any suggestions there?
  • Options
    fmedinafmedina Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2008
    Slideshow in Ubuntu 7.10
    Hello, I am running FF 2.0.0.12 on Ubuntu 7.10, with whatever is latest Flash player this release of Ubuntu has updated. When I enter a gallery I briefly see the slideshow button and then it turns green. I press it and the slideshow comes up, so it seems it is only the button that is funny. Mu gallery is fmedina.smugmug.com

thanks,
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    jasoncaine wrote:
    Duh on my part! That is pretty sweet looking show! Is there a way to disable the thumbs on the bottom so it is just a slideshow without the thumbs and navigation. Also ... not working in firefox ... any suggestions there?
    That's usaully caused by external links not enabled in show source gallery.

Insert this in the code.

showThumbs: 'false',</pre>
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    That's usaully caused by external links not enabled in show source gallery.

Insert this in the code.

showThumbs: 'false',

Hi All,
    We just released some fixes for the flash slideshow, please clear your caches, quit your browsers and try again if you've been having problems.

Samthumb.gif
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Hi All,
    We just released some fixes for the flash slideshow, please clear your caches, quit your browsers and try again if you've been having problems.

Samthumb.gif
    I've tried, and Allen has tried, and we can NOT get the slideshow here: http://www.wolfsnap.com/gallery/4275293_4RFRU to work. Can someone PLEASE help me? Pretty Please? bowdown.gif I've tried everything I can think of, and it just doesn't want to work.

David
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I've tried, and Allen has tried, and we can NOT get the slideshow here: http://www.wolfsnap.com/gallery/4275293_4RFRU to work. Can someone PLEASE help me? Pretty Please? bowdown.gif I've tried everything I can think of, and it just doesn't want to work.

David

Done:

You had %26 in place for _every_ &, you only need %2526 in place for ampersands in your feed url, I also removed &format=rss from the feedurl which probably wasn't absolutely necessary but its not required.

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Done:

You had %26 in place for _every_ &, you only need %2526 in place for ampersands in your feed url, I also removed &format=rss from the feedurl which probably wasn't absolutely necessary but its not required.

Sam
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbow
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    On Monday I placed a post about my homepage slideshow not working in Safari, and Firefox since the update. And the border not showing on vertical sides of photos in homepage slideshow. I really didnt get any help. I placed a few more posts in here ,then I was advised to move my issue to customization.

I could not believe it , I felt like no one was actually reading what I had been posting. A BIG let down for me. Because on Sunday before the update everything was perfectly fine in 3 browsers.

So I placed a post in customization , while other posts were answered I sat there patiently and waited , soon I found myself answering my own post.
    Then , kaymag replied , he mentioned he had a issue when he made his slideshow, and what he did to fix it. This really wasnt exactly like my issue I thought, so I waited.

Then GSpep replied saying they had the same issues in Firefox when going to my site.

This just confirmed it wasnt an issue on my side. ( In which , the same things happened at work using 8 computers)

So I decided to use a Test Gallery that I recently had made. I copied and moved all the photos from the original gallery to the test gallery.

I cant believe my eyes! It worked . THe slideshow played perfectly in all 3 browsers.
    The missing border on vertical sides came back.

I posting this because I hope to help anyone who might be going through what I have been since the update. Not a good feeling when you feel like no one is listening to you. I hope this post is big enough not to be missed or left behind in your read.

I know you guys have been very busy since the update , but

Pamela
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    On Monday I placed a post about my homepage slideshow not working in Safari, and Firefox since the update. And the border not showing on vertical sides of photos in homepage slideshow. I really didnt get any help. I placed a few more posts in here ,then I was advised to move my issue to customization.

I could not believe it , I felt like no one was actually reading what I had been posting. A BIG let down for me. Because on Sunday before the update everything was perfectly fine in 3 browsers.

So I placed a post in customization , while other posts were answered I sat there patiently and waited , soon I found myself answering my own post.
    Then , kaymag replied , he mentioned he had a issue when he made his slideshow, and what he did to fix it. This really wasnt exactly like my issue I thought, so I waited.

Then GSpep replied saying they had the same issues in Firefox when going to my site.

This just confirmed it wasnt an issue on my side. ( In which , the same things happened at work using 8 computers)

So I decided to use a Test Gallery that I recently had made. I copied and moved all the photos from the original gallery to the test gallery.

I cant believe my eyes! It worked . THe slideshow played perfectly in all 3 browsers.
    The missing border on vertical sides came back.

I posting this because I hope to help anyone who might be going through what I have been since the update. Not a good feeling when you feel like no one is listening to you. I hope this post is big enough not to be missed or left behind in your read.

I know you guys have been very busy since the update , but

Pamela

So is that to say slideshow works for you now and it wasn't before?

Sam
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited March 19, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Bad news here - the slideshow works from the style dropdown but full screen slideshow still does not work. The green screen is gone the first time I request the slideshow though. I am immediately taken to the full black screen with the the press esc to return to gallery message. If I press esc then request slideshow again, I am taken to the full screen slideshow with an image and thumbs showing, but it is essentially a static image. The slideshow does not run.

Before I tested this morning, I cleared my browser cache (both temp files and cookies), closed the browser, opened a new copy of th browser.

Is there any way for me to reprogram the slideshow button (for my site) to take me to a full browser window (as opposed to a full screen)? I'm looking for the behavior I saw with Andy's link - http://cmac.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=2504559&AlbumKey=f3ta9. To be honest, I much prefer that behavior (staying within the browser window) to splashing across the whole screen. That gives the control to the user as to how much of the screen is used for the slideshow, could be the full screen, or could be something smaller. That would essentially remove the problem for me...

Just a heads up, I'm heading out to work, so I won't be able to try anything new here until the end of my work day (late afternoon on the east coast). I won't be ignoring you, just a little delay.

--- Denise
  • Options
    LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Works now in Traditional & Journal
    Shizam wrote:
    Hi All,

Samthumb.gif

After doing what you instructed, my gallery slideshows now work consistently in Traditional and Journal. In Smugmug, the first image comes up and the screen freezes with the Esc to Full Screen message.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 19, 2008
    B If I press esc then request slideshow again, I am taken to the full screen slideshow with an image and thumbs showing, but it is essentially a static image. The slideshow does not run.

Denise,

If you change the speed to fast, does it run then ?

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Hi All,

Samthumb.gif

After further testing, the gallery slideshows work when I first run them in Traditional, Journal and possibly All Thumbs. However, it appears that if I change styles while in a gallery, I start to get an "Error on Page" message and the slideshow stops working. It appears to happen especially if I change to the Slideshow style, which raised an interesting question. Why have a Slideshow style if you have the new slideshow feature? I guess one could revert to the Slideshow Style if the new slideshow doesn't work. But somehow, there appears to be some type conflict.

The above only applies in IE. Everything works fine in FF.
  • Options
    NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    This is what I see from my PC at work. I am running IE7 version 7.0.5730.13

slideshow.jpg

is anyone else getting this when they view my page?

http://www.newtekbuzz.smugmug.com/gallery/1994863_J3Chr#260648551

Thanks again

Tim
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited March 19, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Denise,

If you change the speed to fast, does it run then ?

David
    David -
    Unfortunately I didn't try that, and my misbehaving computer is at home and I'm at work... I'll try that when I get home (hours from now). But - I did try clicking on the slideshow controls, and clicking on a thumb. Nothing. It was as if the mouse wasn't activated for clicking.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    So is that to say slideshow works for you now and it wasn't before?

Sam

Sam

It worked before the sunday/ monday update. After the update is when this started. This morning is when I made the changes.
    Yes, it is working after the changes I made.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Pamela wrote:

I could not believe it , I felt like no one was actually reading what I had been posting. A BIG let down for me.

I'm sorry you felt let down. We read every single word here on Dgrin and we try to get our posts out to all comers.

Yesterday was a tough day, we'll do better today, Pamela.

Write me @ our help desk ATTN Andy if you ever feel that we've missed your post.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry you felt let down. We read every single word here on Dgrin and we try to get our posts out to all comers.

Yesterday was a tough day, we'll do better today, Pamela.

Write me @ our help desk ATTN Andy if you ever feel that we've missed your post.

Andy

I understand how busy everyone was / is for the last few days, and appreciate how much work has gone into the changes. I just felt that you might want to know this info , for this could be a link to why others are having problems with their browsers / slideshows. In my heart I felt that my issues were due to the update, and anything I could help with figuring out a fix is what I was after, for me, you and other users.:D

I hope all of you get some needed rest soon.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    JuscherlJuscherl Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    NewTekBuzz wrote:
    This is what I see from my PC at work. I am running IE7 version 7.0.5730.13

slideshow.jpg

is anyone else getting this when they view my page?

http://www.newtekbuzz.smugmug.com/gallery/1994863_J3Chr#260648551

Thanks again

Tim

Meeeeeeeeeee!
    That is what I was trying to explain. I am viewing it with IE 7, too.

Thanks Tim for copying the stuff in there I was already thinking of doing that. I thought when I remove the Slideshow button it will be better, but that is not the case, there is a big empty square.

Greetings

Juscherl
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Juscherl wrote:
    Meeeeeeeeeee!
    That is what I was trying to explain. I am viewing it with IE 7, too.

Thanks Tim for copying the stuff in there I was already thinking of doing that. I thought when I remove the Slideshow button it will be better, but that is not the case, there is a big empty square.

Greetings

Juscherl

I am glad that im not the only one.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    NewTekBuzz wrote:
    I am glad that im not the only one.

Now we only have to hope that someone helps us.

Andy said something about clearing my cookies from my site, but to be honest, I have no clue how to do that!
  • Options
    danny ddanny d Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Great work on the Slideshow upgrade!
    The slide show presentation and speed was always my biggest (and really only) gripe with Smugmug, love the modification!

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Juscherl wrote:
    Now we only have to hope that someone helps us.

Andy said something about clearing my cookies from my site, but to be honest, I have no clue how to do that!

that does not help. but this is how you do it

If you are running windows XP go to the start button, then control panel, then internet options, then browser history and hit delete.
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I cleared my cache and shut down the browser. Unfortunately, I still get nothing but a black screen.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    NewTekBuzz wrote:
    that does not help. but this is how you do it

If you are running windows XP go to the start button, then control panel, then internet options, then browser history and hit delete.

Thanks some things sound really complicated, but are very simple! Basically it is just deleting the history. I have heard that before.

That makes my box even bigger. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    pixelpainterpixelpainter Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2008
    Thanks..
    I have located the offending gallery. Now the next step is to fix the problem. When I reset the style to 'smugmug' from 'viewer controlled' the problem still persists. In the offending gallery, I see a 'fullscreen' button in the 'slideshow' style, but clicking it does not do anything.

Over time, I'll get the hang of this I guess :-)

>>> FYI, this morning my galleries seem to work again. Big thanks for the team for the help!
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Full Screen Slideshow Issues
    Firefox 2.0.0.12 (home computer running Windows XP) the slideshow runs, but all there is a black screen. I can tell that the images are loading as the cursor changes from the the arrow to the hourglass every couple of seconds. However, I see nothing but black. Clicking the Esc key closes the window.

--->UPDATE 1 HERE: FSSS runs in Firefox when logged in to my Smugmug account.

--->UPDATE #2 HERE: FSSS runs in Firefox for this gallery when logged out and after I deleted a hidden image that was in that gallery. Other galleries still not seeing the FSSS in Firefox.

--->UPDATE #3 HERE: 3/20/08 and FSSS now shows nothing but black in Firefox.

--->UPDATE #4 HERE: 3/20/08 confirmed that Adobe flash player version 9,0,115,0 is installed. The FSSS is still not working unless I am logged in.

Internet Explorer 7 (same home computer running Windows XP) the slideshow opens in a new browser window just fine. The window has a title bar, a url bar, and at the bottom a
    status bar. There are no apparent problems other than the Esc key does not close the window. I have to manually close it using the "x" on the window.

--->UPDATE #3 HERE: 3/20/08 and the slideshow button does not load the slideshow.

--->UPDATE #4 HERE: 3/20/08 Updated the Adobe flash player from version 9,0,45,0 to 9,0,115,0 and now the slideshow appears to be working.

Internet Explorer 6 (office computer running Windows XP) the slideshow opens in a new browser window just fine. The window has a title bar and at the bottom a status bar. There is no URL line as in IE 7. There are no apparent problems other than the Esc key does not close the window. I have to manually close it using the "x" on the window.

--->UPDATE #3 HERE: 3/20/08 and the slideshow button does not load the slideshow.

Dual screen monitors (office computer running Windows XP using IE 6) the slideshow opens in a new browser window just fine as above. The window, of course, expands both monitors. The images are, of course, split down the middle due to the frames for the monitors. Each monitor has a resolution of 1600px x 1200px. Images that are in portrait layout are cut-off from the top and bottom; i.e., you can't see the whole image. Resizing the window to one screen does not cure the problem. In fact, doing so caused a lot of the thumbnails on the bottom to disappear.
This discussion has been closed.