Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    They saw the problem here on my computer. They spent about an hour here, ran lots of tests, tried a bunch of things and, I believe, learned some useful things.

Yea,
    Very very helpful information. Its tempting to buy your computer off you so we have a test case mwink.gif

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Cool. You checked all your Cameras and stuff? Shizam does like gear 'n stuff..... lol3.gif

Thanks again, John - really appreciate the help!

No worries there. My office is such a mess nobody but me could find anything!

They also saw the weird green color after coming out of the slideshow and the funny looking buttons that you took a screenshot of. It looks like my computer is a real hothouse for these bugs.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    new variation?
    I updated flash to the most recent version yesterday, cleared cache, rebooted and use IE7.

It seems to be flaky response to the slide show button. Most of the time the slideshow buttons don't work. It's like they aren't even there. But, every once in a while I get a slideshow.

I haven't been able to detect a pattern.

Looks great when it works.

georges.smugmug.com
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    georges wrote:
    I updated flash to the most recent version yesterday, cleared cache, rebooted and use IE7.

It seems to be flaky response to the slide show button. Most of the time the slideshow buttons don't work. It's like they aren't even there. But, every once in a while I get a slideshow.

I haven't been able to detect a pattern.

Looks great when it works.

georges.smugmug.com
    Hi everyone, we're working on some further changes, and we hope to have them out soon. Those of you who are having trouble still, hang in there please, we really appreciate your patience.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Doesn't work for me
    I usually keep the slideshow button hidden (because I was using the hack in a separate window), but I can see it when I'm logged in...so I tried it.

I get a blank screen with the sentence "Press Esc. to Exit Full Screen Mode." that stays there forever.

The same thing happens with all my galleries. IE 6, Windows XP.

The hack still works fine.

- Gary.
  • Options
    battsbatts Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    shockwave?
    Slideshow looks geat on the Mac, but can't get anything to work on my Kubuntu mahcine. Does the slideshow use shockwave? If so I guess it doesn't work with linux because I can't get a shockwave player to work very easy. I do have flash installed though, but it doesn't seem to work.

I don't know if this has been addressed, I tried a search and found nothing, I know you guys are still working hard at some of the issues, and wanted to make sure this was known, or is it a problem on my end? I have the same issue on everyones smugmug page.

The normal slideshow button shows slidshow for a small instance, then goes bright green, then after that I see at the bottom in Firefox "waiting api.smumug.com".

thanks.

firefox ver 2.0.0.12
    flashplayer ver LNX 9.0.31.0
  • Options
    aLoha TimaLoha Tim Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Random play in one gallery slideshow
    The slideshow is playing my photos in a random order. It wouldn't be so bad if it went thru all the photos before it repeats a photo but it doesn't.
    http://pa-iki-i.smugmug.com/gallery/4502524_wZYej/1/265049526_WVh7B

I checked my other galleries and the slideshow plays normally.

It happens in FireFox 2.0.0.12 and IE 7
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    batts wrote:
    Slideshow looks geat on the Mac, but can't get anything to work on my Kubuntu mahcine. Does the slideshow use shockwave? If so I guess it doesn't work with linux because I can't get a shockwave player to work very easy. I do have flash installed though, but it doesn't seem to work.

I don't know if this has been addressed, I tried a search and found nothing, I know you guys are still working hard at some of the issues, and wanted to make sure this was known, or is it a problem on my end? I have the same issue on everyones smugmug page.

The normal slideshow button shows slidshow for a small instance, then goes bright green, then after that I see at the bottom in Firefox "waiting api.smumug.com".

thanks.

firefox ver 2.0.0.12
    Can't say for Ubuntu, we support fully IE6/7 FF2, on Win, Safari and FF2 Macs.

The waiting for api... we're fixing that. Hope not long!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    I usually keep the slideshow button hidden (because I was using the hack in a separate window), but I can see it when I'm logged in...so I tried it.

I get a blank screen with the sentence "Press Esc. to Exit Full Screen Mode." that stays there forever.

The same thing happens with all my galleries. IE 6, Windows XP.

The hack still works fine.

- Gary.
    Yeah it'll work for you, we expect, and soon, I hope!
    Hang in there.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah it'll work for you, we expect, and soon, I hope!
    Hang in there.

268669473_QzoJR-S.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, Andy.thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Can't say for Ubuntu, we support fully IE6/7 FF2, on Win, Safari and FF2 Macs.

The waiting for api... we're fixing that. Hope not long!
    Thanks for the info Andy, maybe that is my issue.

Also, I wasn't exactly clear on the main question I was asking, my fault there. If the slideshow is based to use only Flash, I shouldn't seen any issues using whatever OS, and browser as long as I have a Flash player installed. If the slideshow uses Flash and Shockwave, well then anyone will have problems if they don't have either one of the players installed.

So, what I ment to ask was does the slideshow require a Shockwave player, or just a Flash player, or both players?

thank you..

ohh love the chocolate bunny bite avatar Andy...
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2008
    batts wrote:
    So, what I ment to ask was does the slideshow require a Shockwave player, or just a Flash player, or both players?

thank you..
    Flash.

ohh love the chocolate bunny bite avatar Andy...
    Thanks!
  • Options
    bspeaksbspeaks Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    The slide show works fine for me when I am logged-in. Logging-out and entering a gallery like a user, I get the Press escape message that disappears and a small progress box that quickly disappears. This is followed by a blank screen.

It occurs under Firefox 2.0.0.12 and IE 6. Latest Flash player installed.

Bill

www.speaksimages.com
    The breeze at dawn has secrets to share. Don't go back to sleep. Rumi

www.speaksimages.com
  • Options
    GeekyGirlGeekyGirl Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2008
    thanks!
    The new slideshow is wonderful! Thanks!

Edited to make more relevant to thread.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Slideshow button dead, jim...
    Am I correct that the slideshow button has been disabled? The button (which I currently only show when I'm logged in) does nothing when I click it. Last time, it gave me the blank screen bug...now the bug is gone...cause nothing happens at all! :)

IE6...

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Am I correct that the slideshow button has been disabled? The button (which I currently only show when I'm logged in) does nothing when I click it. Last time, it gave me the blank screen bug...now the bug is gone...cause nothing happens at all! :)

IE6...

- Gary.
    THIS is the maddening thing. For some of you, yes it's dead. I need to see which of your galleries you've enabled it for. Link me please.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    THIS is the maddening thing. For some of you, yes it's dead. I need to see which of your galleries you've enabled it for. Link me please.
    Andy, in addition to what Gary might post my landscape gallery works in IE6, but the flora gallery does not.

IE7 appears to be fine, and Firefox is still DOA.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Maybe I don't understand
    Andy wrote:

Andy,
    I'm not 'enabling' it anywhere...I just don't hide the Slideshow link when I'm logged on...so any of my galleries could be used...no?

Is there something I'm supposed to do to make the slideshow work?

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Opened one up
    Andy,
    Here's a gallery I turned the slideshow on specifically...you don't need to be logged in. Nothing happens when I press the button (even when I'm logged out).

http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/2911375

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    To make it a little more interesting...
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Andy,
    Here's a gallery I turned the slideshow on specifically...you don't need to be logged in. Nothing happens when I press the button (even when I'm logged out).

- Gary.

And...just an interesting aside:
    The link:

http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/3682090_nSiK8

Has a link to view as a slideshow (not your slideshow link), which brings up the multi-use gallery with Shizam's old flash slideshow...this slideshow works!

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Andy,

- Gary.
    Try it now?
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2911375#156768581
    Do you use any javascript that targets breadcrubm, or #altViews?
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    And...just an interesting aside:
    The link:

http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/3682090_nSiK8

Has a link to view as a slideshow (not your slideshow link), which brings up the multi-use gallery with Shizam's old flash slideshow...this slideshow works!

- Gary.
    Yeah so, this gallery http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/3682090_nSiK8#210589506
    with that link to an embedded shizam show, now you can just use this:

which you get from the "share photos" button that you usually have off. Turn on easy sharing in the gallery, and use this:

http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=3682090&AlbumKey=nSiK8
    http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=3682090&AlbumKey=nSiK8

.share_button {display: none;}
    .loggedIn .share_button {display: block:} and it will display only for you, logged in, and you can easily get the share stuff :)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Still no go
    Andy wrote:
    Try it now?
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/2911375#156768581
    Do you use any javascript that targets breadcrubm, or #altViews?

Still does not work.
    I don't use any javascript (to my knowledge) that targets these.

The symptoms are really strange too: not only does the slideshow not show up, but the button doesn't seem to be receiving a click. It's as if there is no onclick defined. When I click on any URL, my machine is set to make an audible 'click'...it does not click when I press the slideshow button. However, my cursor DOES change to 'clickable' when I mouse-over the slideshow button! Just nothing happens when I click! Weird!

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Yeah so, this gallery http://www.garymorgenphotography.com/gallery/3682090_nSiK8#210589506
    with that link to an embedded shizam show, now you can just use this:

which you get from the "share photos" button that you usually have off. Turn on easy sharing in the gallery, and use this:

.share_button {display: none;}
    .loggedIn .share_button {display: block:} and it will display only for you, logged in, and you can easily get the share stuff :)

something is missing from your post above (
    "...with that link to an embedded shizam show, now you can just use this:
    ...???)".

But understand the reason I created that general purpose gallery was to reproduce the behaviour of the Smugmug slideshow button using Shizam's hack, without having to hardcode any AlbumIDs. So I created a general purpose JS function that links to a general purpose HTML-only gallery with the AlbumID of the orginal gallery in the URL. The general purpose gallery then looks at it's parameters (which has the AlbumID) and calls Shizam with the proper AlbumID set. I could then add a Shizam-based slideshow to any gallery just by cutting and pasting the link (no hardcoding needed).

Once the new Flash-based slideshow button starts working for me, I'll get rid of my hack all together...as its sole purpose was to mimick the behaviour of the Smugmug slideshow facility.

So...I appreciate the efforts you guys are putting into getting your new slideshow button to work! Let me know if I can give you more info. Thanks!

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Still does not work.
    I don't use any javascript (to my knowledge) that targets these.

The symptoms are really strange too: not only does the slideshow not show up, but the button doesn't seem to be receiving a click. It's as if there is no onclick defined. When I click on any URL, my machine is set to make an audible 'click'...it does not click when I press the slideshow button. However, my cursor DOES change when I mouse-over the slideshow button!

- Gary.
    working for me there, IE7 Vista... you have a *ton* of javascript, and I can't be sure if any of that listener or other stuff isn't interfering :( Also you have a hacked slideshow in your javascript. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jeffmtnmanjeffmtnman Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    slideshow
    Love the visitor view however my gallery slideshow button is also not functioning.ne_nau.gif Also, I noticed on my homepage slideshow (gallery origin) that the smugmug logo comes up and hangs a moment before slide show starts whereas previously the slideshow would start immediatly.

MY biggest concern is the gallery slideshow button.

http://image-n-that.smugmug.com/

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2008
    batts wrote:

thanks.

firefox ver 2.0.0.12

A follow-up to my kubuntu slideshow issues. It is now working, at least the slideshow part. After updating to the latest version of flash direct from Adobe. Now using version 9.0.115.0.

This hasn't corrected the slideshow button from being covered by a nice green highlighted block, it's as almost someone just coded in a solid green block button in the position where the slideshow was, I can't even read that it says slideshow. I can still click on it, and the slideshow works, don't know what to say, maybe it has something to do with the api.smugmug.com thing.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    Looking for a test case for a specific issue, so far I know it happens in IE7 Vista (maybe XP too).

-Go to gallery
    -Click Slideshow Button
    -Gives you full black screen even if you wait for a bit
    -Hit escape
    -Click the slideshow button again
    -Now you see the slideshow full screen as you would expect but you can't interact with it at all and it doesn't play.

If this is happening for you please come see me in IRC:
    http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/SmugChat

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited March 23, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Looking for a test case for a specific issue, so far I know it happens in IE7 Vista (maybe XP too).

-Go to gallery
    -Click Slideshow Button
    -Gives you full black screen even if you wait for a bit
    -Hit escape
    -Click the slideshow button again
    -Now you see the slideshow full screen as you would expect but you can't interact with it at all and it doesn't play.

If this is happening for you please come see me in IRC:
    http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/SmugChat

Sam
    Sam -
    I sent you a message via chat a little bit ago. No response, so I'm not sure if you're still around. I have exactly the scenario you describe. I'm running IE7 on Vista. I only have play slideshow enabled in one gallery for now, in http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/3961344_8Ho4N. Not that the gallery will do you any good since you can't reproduce this on your systems, right?

Let me know how I can help. I'll keep an eye on the chat window too.

--- Denise
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2008
    I'm still unable to see the new slideshow feature on my desktop with Vista and FF. But I just tried it on my laptop with the same configuration and it plays fine. And, might I add, it looks great!

There's got to be something different with a version somewhere, but I don't know what it is.
This discussion has been closed.