Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Re, "the black box" -
    We are aware of this issue and our engineers are trying to figure out the cause.

Stay tuned.
  • Options
    snidowsnidow Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Re, "the black box" -
    We are aware of this issue and our engineers are trying to figure out the cause.

Stay tuned.

Thanks Andy, I know how frustrating this can be from both sides of the coin! I look forward to it being resolved and will wait to do any changes and or updates on my galleries until such time as it is resolved.<o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Re, "the black box" -

Stay tuned.

Yup - knew that, too. Just wanted to post my issues in case there were others experiencing the same things.

Thanks, Andy and other at Smugmug. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yup - knew that, too. Just wanted to post my issues in case there were others experiencing the same things.

Thanks, Andy and other at Smugmug. thumb.gif
    Oh hahah- my reply above was to the previous two posters, I merged their thread as well. Anyhow, thanks for your patience, and reporting. Stay tuned....
  • Options
    vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Slideshow Weirdness
    Ok....once I login to my pro account, and go to a particular album, the get this large black area above my thumbs....but, you cannot play the slideshow button? Also, are there plans to provide an embed script for any particular album? Also, after a few pix the nav buttons go away.
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    First of all, congrats on a good job (once the bugs are worked out). I acutally removed the slide show from my galleries, and because of this update, they're back in.

As for one of the bugs - the return to gallery one -

I find that it sometimes returns to the galleries, and sometimes, stays in the same window (both IE and FF).

But it has a higher success rate if I leve the FFSS on for a longer period of time (both IE and FF).
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    IE6 show
    Making a little progress with IE6. Summary below. Set these to trusted in
    IE6. www.smugmug.com www.photosbyat.com atsmith.smugmug.com api.smugmug.com
    Security set to lowest level. Get all the run activeX boxes, etc on page load.

FF nickname
    (SM style) FSSS runs, (SS style) runs, both FSSS buttons run
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/keyword/cardinals/1/253740079

FF domain
    (SM style) FSSS runs, (SS style) runs, both FSSS buttons run
    http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/cardinals/1/253740079

IE6 nickname
    (SM style) FSSS runs
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/keyword/cardinals#253740079
    (SS style) runs, neither FSSS button clickable
    .... error on page - 'fullScreenSlideshow' is undefined
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/keyword/cardinals/1/253740079
    delete cookies, cache, refresh came up SM style, FSSS runs
    switch to SS style, SS runs but neither FSSS button clickable

IE6 domain
    (SM style) FSSS Black screen after ECS message
    (SS style) don't run, neither FSSS button clickable
    http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/cardinals/1/253740079

IE6 nickname or domain
    SS not running here (uses cardinals KW) (journal style)
    http://atsmith.smugmug.com/gallery/4310824_zLnKr
    http://www.photosbyat.com/gallery/4310824_zLnKr
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I've looked through most of this thread and have seen some references, but wasn't able to find a solution. My galleries do not appear to have a "slideshow" option anymore. Is there a way to fix this?

www.dramatapix.com
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I've looked through most of this thread and have seen some references, but wasn't able to find a solution. My galleries do not appear to have a "slideshow" option anymore. Is there a way to fix this?

www.dramatapix.com
    Might want to change this in your CSS

#breadcrumb {
    display: none;
    }
    .loggedIn #breadcrumb {
    display: block;
    }

to this

#breadcrumb {visibility: hidden;}
    .loggedIn #breadcrumb {visibility: visible;}
    #altViews {visibility: visible;}
    #shareLink {display:none !important;}
    .loggedIn #shareLink {display:block !important;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    I haven't read through this whole thread but I tried a couple searches through it and didn't see any issues like mine, but my apologies if its been answered.

My homepage slideshow no longer "clicks through" properly on IE6--the link I get in the address bar is http://www.timnosenzo46;com/galleries. Still works fine in FF and Safari. Any ideas? ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008

www.dramatapix.com
    Because you hid it with your customizing. Unhide it as Allen has posted about above.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    I haven't read through this whole thread but I tried a couple searches through it and didn't see any issues like mine, but my apologies if its been answered.

My homepage slideshow no longer "clicks through" properly on IE6--the link I get in the address bar is http://www.timnosenzo46;com/galleries. Still works fine in FF and Safari. Any ideas? ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    Tim
    No clue, really :( You have it in your header, not a good place. We say to put it in your bio. Do that, and all will be fine I'm sure. And just put the url in naturally.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    We're constantly monitoring this thread, not missing any info. Thanks and hang in there, thanks in advance for mountains of patience.
  • Options
    Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Thanks guys.
    My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    When will the slideshow button work again in password protected galleries?
    The slideshow button in my password protected sports galleries used to work. After the update to flash-driven slideshows, it no longer works. I just get a blank black screen. In one of the long slideshow threads, I mentioned this problem and it was acknowledged that my report was heard, but I have no idea what Smugmug's intentions are on this problem.

My viewers now see a slideshow button that is busted. Is this something that is going to get fixed? How soon will it get fixed (days, weeks, months)?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    How soon will it get fixed (days, weeks, months)?
    Soon. {JT} and Shizam are on it.
    Sorry for the hassle.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Woohoo!!! My homepage slideshow just started working again! :Dclap.gif
    Thanks a bunch! wings.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Soon. {JT} and Shizam are on it. Sorry for the hassle.
    Just sharing some more information as I see it. No reply needed as I know ya'll are busting hump to work things out.

Thumbnails not loading for some images - slideshow skips those and goes to the first image with a thumbnail.

267914629_9ibg7-L.jpg
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Seems related to connectivity to me
    I know you guys are working hard on this slideshow problem, so my post may be of little help, but I do have some symptoms I don't think have been reported so far.

First of all, let me say that on my home computer (Lenovo Thinkpad, 2GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, FF 2.0, IE 7.0, Flash 9, and a Comcast 6 Mb connection) I can't say that I have experienced any problems with the slideshow, either FSS or my homepage, bio box slideshow.

On my work computer, things are very different. It's a Dell Laptop, 2GB RAM, Win XP SP2, FF 2.0, IE 7.0, Flash 9, with a shared T1 connection. Here are the current symptons which I experience in both FSS and in on my homepage (both IE and FF):

- Splash image loads OK.
    - SS seems to load OK
    - Images begin to fade in and out, but three or four images at a time are skipped in the gallery.
    - After displaying several images, the slideshow freezes, but not usually in the same place. Although, I don't think it ever makes it through the gallery a second time. It frequently freezes on the first gallery image.

I have now gotten reports from two visitors on not-so-fast connections that describe the same experience.

Since I do not seem to have this problem at home, I personally feel the problem is related to a connectivity issue (speed, quality, or both). I have even been doing my experiments on a gallery with very small original image sizes (link), but that doesn't help.

When I get home tonight, I will double check that everything is working as perfectly there as I think it is on a good connection.
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    No clue, really :( You have it in your header, not a good place. We say to put it in your bio. Do that, and all will be fine I'm sure. And just put the url in naturally.

Well, I figured out what the problem was. I seem to have code that is considerably different than what the instructions for adding the slideshow show now. The instructions used to say that you had to put the click-through URL like this:
    oParams.clickUrl = "http://www#46;timnosenzo#46;com/galleries"

But now the new instructions say:
    clickUrl: 'http://www.smugmug.com',

I just replaced the #46; with periods and it seems to be working.

With that said, should I change the code for my slideshow to the new code? Mine looks like this:
    ********>
    var oParams = new Object;
     oParams.AlbumID = "3624766";
     oParams.newWindow = 'false';
     oParams.transparent = "true";
     oParams.showLogo = "false";
     oParams.showThumbs = "false";
     oParams.showButtons = 'false';
     oParams.crossFadeSpeed = '350';
     oParams.clickUrl = "http://www#46;timnosenzo#46;com/galleries"
     oParams.randomStart = 'true'
     oParams.borderThickness = '2';
     createSWF(640,480, oParams, "transparent");
    </********

I see the new code doesn't have the "oParams.", not sure if it makes a difference or not.

BTW, my slideshow is in the header mainly because of the way it makes the banner act... at the bottom of the page of the page on the homepage, then at the top of the page everywhere else. If I could do this with having the code in the bio box I would, but I was under the impression I can't.

Thanks!
    Tim
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    timnosenzo wrote:
    With that said, should I change the code for my slideshow to the new code? Mine looks like this:
    Thanks!
    Tim

Yup please use the new code and put it in your bio.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    BenA2 wrote:
    When I get home tonight, I will double check that everything is working as perfectly there as I think it is on a good connection.

So, I just checked things on my home computer. The slideshow in my bio ran perfectly, as it has every time I've tried it with this computer. However, the FSS did not run properly. It went through the images in a sequential, but otherwise random order and then froze when it tried to go back through a second time.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    BenA2 wrote:
    So, I just checked things on my home computer. The slideshow in my bio ran perfectly, as it has every time I've tried it with this computer. However, the FSS did not run properly. It went through the images in a sequential, but otherwise random order and then froze when it tried to go back through a second time.
    OK Ben thanks. Some tweaks made today, hoping we push them soon.
  • Options
    LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2008
    Erratic Slideshows in IE
    After approximately 24 hours of monitoring the thread and testing, gallery slideshows are still erratic in IE. During the day, I was able to play some gallery slideshows at one time or another. Currently however, the slideshow button does not work at all in IE. The funny thing is the slideshow acts differently at different time in IE even though I have not made any changes to anything. BTW, everything works fine in FF.

Is work still being done to resolve issues with the slideshows running in IE. Is it possible for someone to periodically provide some type update so that those users who don't get direct responses to their posts will know what's going on?
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2008
    Les wrote:
    After approximately 24 hours of monitoring the thread and testing, gallery slideshows are still erratic in IE. During the day, I was able to play some gallery slideshows at one time or another. Currently however, the slideshow button does not work at all in IE. The funny thing is the slideshow acts differently at different time in IE even though I have not made any changes to anything. BTW, everything works fine in FF.

Is work still being done to resolve issues with the slideshows running in IE. Is it possible for someone to periodically provide some type update so that those users who don't get direct responses to their posts will know what's going on?
    Hi yes, we've been doing work all day. I've tried to hit most posts, I'm sorry. I've also tried to say, frequently, a general "we are reading all of these" message.

Hang in there and thanks for your patience, we really appreciate it.
  • Options
    JuscherlJuscherl Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Blank box
    Hi guys!

Thanks for fixing the blank box thing. Looking good again!!!!

Thank you!

clap.gif :ivar
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    LesLes Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Hang in there and thanks for your patience, we really appreciate it.

Thanks Andy and I do appreciate all the hard work you all do.
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2008
    Just an update from me -
    I installed the Safari browser on my Vista pc at home and the slide show works fine. However when viewing my galleries in Safari, the main photo, which is usually on the right side of the screen shows up at hte bottom of the page, below the thumbnails, this issue is specific to Safari only.

My Opera browser also works fine.

However I still continue to have no luck wiht IE7, IE6 or Firefox browsers on the same vista pc at home. My IE7 on my home laptop, using Windows XP also does not work.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.