Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Can we get you to hit the two links below and then let us know the information, please?

This is javascript reporting:
    http://greenjimmy.com/flash/flashversion.html

Then there is flash actually reporting:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

Also, let us know specifically the browser version and operating system you are using. In addition, are you running any type of security software, i.e., Norton, or any adblockers?

Hi Barb,
    Bear with me, I'm not a web/javascript savy but clicking onto the links I get the following.
    "You have Flash player 9.0.115 installed.
    and "Player version Win 9,0,115,0 Debug Player: No"

I've got McAfee Security Center (I think internet suite version or something like that) and am using Dell PC with XP pro with Intel and Gateway laptop with XP home media with AMD celeron.

For internet browser, I'm using FF Firefox/2.0.0.12 and IE 7.0.5730.11

What makes me think the problem is not at my end is that things work perfectly at times and all of a sudden it doesn't and then works and so forth and so forth.

Thanks
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 18, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Can we get you to hit the two links below and then let us know the information, please?

This is javascript reporting:
    http://greenjimmy.com/flash/flashversion.html

Then there is flash actually reporting:
    http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507

Also, let us know specifically the browser version and operating system you are using. In addition, are you running any type of security software, i.e., Norton, or any adblockers?

Hi Barb,
    Bear with me, I'm not a web/javascript savy but clicking onto the links I get the following.
    "You have Flash player 9.0.115 installed.
    and "Player version Win 9,0,115,0 Debug Player: No"

I've got McAfee Security Center (I think internet suite version or something like that) and am using Dell PC with XP pro with Intel and Gateway laptop with XP home media with AMD celeron.

For internet browser, I'm using FF Firefox/2.0.0.12 and IE 7.0.5730.11

What makes me think the problem is not at my end is that things work perfectly at times and all of a sudden it doesn't and then works and so forth and so forth.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the info!

Is there a setting in your McAfee Security Center where you can white list sites, i.e., make them trusted? Can you add smugmug.com to that to see if that makes a difference?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    We have a 10 step method to add Smugmug as a trusted site:

Well, at least it's not at 12-step program.

{groan}

:-}

--Darryl
  • Options
    NewTekBuzzNewTekBuzz Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    You have no CSS, do you have a power or pro account? Only with those type
    accounts can you modify your galleries besides themes.

Allen, what you are saying is greek to me. this slide show has showed up out of no where. i just want to turn it off, it was not there a month ago.
    I have a power account.

thanks for the help

Tim
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    NewTekBuzz wrote:
    Allen, what you are saying is greek to me. this slide show has showed up out of no where. i just want to turn it off, it was not there a month ago.
    I have a power account.

thanks for the help

Tim
    I'm guessing your referring to the slideshow button in the galleries.
    Add to your CSS.

For individual galleries.

.gallery_xxxxxxxx .play_slideshow {display: none;}

Or site wide

.play_slideshow {display: none;}
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Looks good! I think you guys nailed it!
    Thanks Barb and Andy! clap.gif

Sorry guys!:cry The big black box is back! This time when you click on it, it goes into fullscreen slideshow, and plays the images from whatever gallery you are in.

I tried disabling the "bio" on my homepage but still did it. Also tried it on another computer and had the same issues.

Could it be an issue with using "smugmug small"?
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Sorry guys!:cry The big black box is back! This time when you click on it, it goes into fullscreen slideshow, and plays the images from whatever gallery you are in.

I tried disabling the "bio" on my homepage but still did it. Also tried it on another computer and had the same issues.

Standby, Glenn.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008

Clear your cache, and see if it happens here:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4358377_x6cGh#255699607

I temporarily made this gallery viewer controlled and Smug Gradient theme. I want to see if the problem is your computer, your customizing, or us.

ear.gif
  • Options
    JuscherlJuscherl Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    I'm guessing your referring to the slideshow button in the galleries.
    Add to your CSS.

For individual galleries.

.gallery_xxxxxxxx .play_slideshow {display: none;}

Or site wide

.play_slideshow {display: none;}

I am having the same problem! I think he means that the slideshow button has become really big. Well the button itself is tine and in the left corner, but there is a big black field attached to the button. And when you click the field the slideahow opens. That only happens on some computers. At home it works fine. At work the big field appears.

I personally do not want to remove the slideshow button, just the huge field around it!

Greetings

Juscherl
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Pamela, the homepage slideshow borders are a customizing issue - please post in the slideshow thread for that, we can best help there :)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73247

Are you having any other issues?

ok Andy

I just thought these problems were due to the update, since all of these issues started with viewing homepage slideshow after that.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi,

Thank you for the info!

Is there a setting in your McAfee Security Center where you can white list sites, i.e., make them trusted? Can you add smugmug.com to that to see if that makes a difference?
    There is an option where I can input a trusted IP address, but I'm not finding a place to input a specific website.

I'll keep looking around, but under McAfee, both FF and IE have full access under program permission.

It seems weird. The homepage slideshow either works, does not load up, or shows the first image and takes a long time and skips to the 4th image on FF. Gallery slideshow shows a small "loading up" scale briefly and then disappears and nothing happens. Before I was getting the loading up icon on the upper left of the screen and another one in the middle, then the gallery slideshow would work.

Had various buddies try my site on their computers and they tell me the same, it works, then just the smuggy, and then the stuck first image on the home page slideshow.
  • Options
    merctechmerctech Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2008
  • Options
    merctechmerctech Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 18, 2008
    Barb, Andy

New flash fixed problem. Thanks for the help.

Regards Randy
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Just an update.
    I didn't do anything but both the homepage and gallery slideshows work on FF. The homepage gallery takes a while to load up though.
    Neither work on IE.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    merctech wrote:
    Barb, Andy

New flash fixed problem. Thanks for the help.

Regards Randy
    w00p wings.gif
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    Results of the test were: WIN 9,0,115,0

--- Denise
    Denise, your posts have been really specific and helpful and we've got everyone from Don to the sorcerers tracking your case.

Can you confirm that on IE that's the Flash version being reported, not just FF?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    I have been unable to run the full screen slideshow in IE7 on Vista. It runs in Firefox on Vista, and it runs in IE7 on XP.

I think one issue for you might be that you are running the shiz show from a div in your header. So it is being double loaded on EVERY page, and you use css to hide it everywhere but your hompage.

Put it in your bio box and let's see if your issue goes away? Let me or Barb know if you need help w/ it Denise, okay?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Denise, your posts have been really specific and helpful and we've got everyone from Don to the sorcerers tracking your case.

Can you confirm that on IE that's the Flash version being reported, not just FF?
    I just ran the two tests that Barb's been suggesting in the more recent problem posts. I ran them in both IE7 and in Firefox. The results look the same to me...

from http://greenjimmy.com/flash/flashversion.html
    Results in IE7 and Firefox match:
    You have Flash player 9.0.115 installed.
    This page displays your current Flash player version using Javascript.

from http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507
    Results in IE7 and Firefox match:
    WIN 9,0,115,0
    Debug Player: No

You do realize that I break software for a living, don't you? I really wasn't trying to break smug though...

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try.

--- Denise
    Yes, see my post just above Baldy's ^^^
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I think one issue for you might be that you are running the shiz show from a div in your header. So it is being double loaded on EVERY page, and you use css to hide it everywhere but your hompage.
    Yeah, the engineers are scouring your pages and it looks like one slideshow is being served from your hostname, too. I don't think we anticipated or had a test case of a hidden conflicting slideshow in the header. It will be interesting to see if this is the issue.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Put it in your bio box and let's see if your issue goes away? Let me or Barb know if you need help w/ it Denise, okay?
    I'll give that a try in a bit.

I'm headed out on my bike to catch a quick ride before the daylight fades, but I'll make this change when I get back.

Thanks.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:

You might have to use the object instead of the script version if it's not in a
    specific div like bio or albumdescription boxes to keep the script from running
    in the hidden header/footer divs.
    Or add an if inside the script something like this.
    if (YD.hasClass(document.body,"homepage"))
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Nougat wrote:
    This new slideshow is extremely buggy for me. I have IE7 running in Vista and I have many issues. In "Slideshow" view, I can't click on "Fullscreen" or "Slideshow" (nothing happens). Also, when I am in "Smugmug" view, clicking "Slideshow" takes me to a new window that freezes with the caption "Press Esc to exit fullscreen mode." 1 out of 10 times the first slide will come up, but it freezes after that. When I press Esc, I get a weird green screen that sometimes won't go away. In all other views, the fullscreen slideshow works, but it is very slow and clunky. In Firefox on Vista everything works, but again it is very slow and clunky. The "Fast" setting is way to slow, and the clicking on a thumbnail takes up to 10 seconds to display.

I appreciate all the changes that Smugmug is making to make our sites better, especially stretchy. thumb.gif But is a Zenfolio-like, super fast, super slick slideshow too much to ask? I realize this new flash slideshow has just been released, but it has a very long way to go to get to where Zenfolio already is.
    Hey Nougat,

Ouch, I'm really sorry to hear this is happening to you. Can you link us to your site and the gallery you're having trouble with?

No excuses, we shouldn't release something that doesn't work and from this thread it's clear something got past us we can't replicate, so we're totally focused on it.

To answer your question about Zenfolio, we have a lot of respect for them and their slideshow and even had one in testing that was similar. But we didn't ship it because our customers were unhappy with the unsmooth transitions of javascript-based slideshows like Zenfolio's, and wanted thumbnails for navigation and larger image sizes. Zenfolio's slideshow is unviewable on my Mac in Safari, for example.

So we aborted and went Flash-based like Flickr and Phanfare have done. It's obviously horrible if it doesn't work, but the feedback we're getting from people who aren't experiencing trouble is really great unless there's a speed issue for the larger sizes (like Darryl is seeing).

Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this nasty bug, which we agree is unforgiveable.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on with my site - I've been getting nothing but the black screen when I click on slideshow - wheather using IE6 or IE7 -

It does seem to work fine when using my opera browser at home on my vista system. I've cleared my cache and my cookies and still nothing -

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/Photography
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on with my site - I've been getting nothing but the black screen when I click on slideshow - wheather using IE6 or IE7 -

It does seem to work fine when using my opera browser at home on my vista system. I've cleared my cache and my cookies and still nothing -

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/Photography
    Curiously, what happens when you click for Full Screen, get the black screen, esc out, then click full screen again?
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    When I click on slideshow - the whole screen is black - I don't even see the text that says press ESC to go back - the ESC doesn't do anything - I can only click the red X to close that browser window entirely.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    When I click on slideshow - the whole screen is black - I don't even see the text that says press ESC to go back - the ESC doesn't do anything - I can only click the red X to close that browser window entirely.
    Thanks for pointing this out. In this gallery, http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/gallery/4394428_bzfmo#260512311 , none of us can get the slideshow to load either. There appears to be a corrupted image and we're drilling down to see what's happening. The thumbnail for that image won't display either.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    ... but the feedback we're getting from people who aren't experiencing trouble is really great unless there's a speed issue for the larger sizes (like Darryl is seeing).

Oh, you think it's a screen size issue? Aw shucks, I'm only running at a measly 1280x1024. Ok, for grins let me drop down to 800x600. (Ow ow -- my eyes!)

Testing the slideshow again...

Nope, still laggy, and I presume you're using the smaller L or XL photos to fill my tiny screen. Ok, back to regular resolution. This is making me feel like I'm back in 1992.

--Darryl

P.S. Did I mention that Visitor View is very cool? It is!
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Thanks for the info - the only thing I've done recently to those galleries is turn on the square thumbnails and rotate and re-rotate them to get it to work - but I should mention this was not performing well at all sinc elast night when I started testing the new slideshow - but last night I was at least seeing some of the strange green screen stuff that others have mentioned, now I'm not even seeing that.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Put it in your bio box and let's see if your issue goes away?
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, the engineers are scouring your pages and it looks like one slideshow is being served from your hostname, too. I don't think we anticipated or had a test case of a hidden conflicting slideshow in the header. It will be interesting to see if this is the issue.
    Bad news...

I moved my homepage slideshow into my bio box as requested. I removed the CSS I was using to position (and hide) the show before since it was no longer needed. Everything still looks fine in Firefox. But IE7? No change in behavior. (But yes, I did leave the slideshow in my bio box...)

Just in case, I cleared all temporary files in IE7, including temporary internet files, cookies, and history. I didn't think that would be necessary, but just in case...

The full screen slideshow still does not work in IE7 on Vista (my home computer). The behavior is the same as it was before I moved my homepage slideshow. I see a full screen of bright green flash by before the entire screen turns black, with the message "Press Esc to exit full screen mode". No slideshow.

Out of curiosity, I removed the homepage slideshow. Nope, that wasn't the cause of the problem - still can't get a full screen slideshow. Yup, I put the slideshow back!

Interestingly enough, the slideshow from the drop-down style box now works, where it didn't before.

Let me know when you want me to try something else.

--- Denise
This discussion has been closed.