Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 17, 2008
    Results of the test were: WIN 9,0,115,0

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. That's the most recent version. I'm passing that information on.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks!

can you update your wife's computer to the most recent version of flash and see if that helps?

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

That update makes it work in all galleries on her computer (though slow to start).
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    That update makes it work in all galleries on her computer (though slow to start).

Great, thank you. Good info.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Back on my computer:

Still no love in IE, with the most recent flash.

In FF (2.0.0.9) - first time I tried I got a "Holy Cow" upgrade flash message. Did that, now it works fine except in the wrong monitor.

That is to say, I was viewing FF in the secondary monitor and the slideshow opened in the primary.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Slideshows busted for password protected galleries?
    Are slideshows completely busted for password-protected galleries. They work (slowly though 6-8 seconds to load for each image) on non-password protected galleries, but don't work at all on password-protected galleries.

I view the gallery like a normal viewer. I'm prompted for the password. I enter the password and am taken to the gallery. I press the slideshow button. I first get the Press Esc message, then that goes away and all I have is a giant black screen. Nothing ever appears. I can press Esc to get back to the gallery.

The old Smugmug slideshow used to work on password protected galleries and the slideshow button is still offered. I've done no customization related to slideshows. I'm just talking about the built-in slideshow that comes up when you hit the slideshow button in a gallery.

Same result with IE6 and Firefox. Slideshows work for me on public galleries with no password.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We're terribly concerned with speed. I'm on the east coast, much further away from you :)

The first slide in an originals-enabled gallery

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131481399

for me starts in 4-5secs on IE6 XP and 2-3secs on Safari3 Mac.

Thanks for the feedback, I shared this right with the developers. We want it to be fast for all!

Hi Andy:

The issue isn't with the first image load. It's with the new fancy thumbnal nav along the bottom. I think most people will be drawn to click on thumbnails that they think look interesting. When I do this, there is a noticable lag before images load. And it doesn't matter whether the slideshow is paused or not. From the example above, if I click on one of the Ghost Rider shot, there is a 7-second delay before the image shows up (or worse still, not even the progress bar). I then click on a few other shots, and they come up right away (crossfading as soon as I click), but the I went to click on the Hulk (hello), and again with a delay, this time only 2 seconds, but still, when you're used to the instantaneous switching in Lightbox, or the old JS slideshow or in the new slideshow style presentation, this is really annoying.

Version 9.0.115.0 of Flash.

--Darryl
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Still have problems here. With Safari login mode, the slideshow on homepage is slow and my horizontal photos are missing the borders on the left and right sides.

With Safari vistor mode, the slideshow stop at the wedding cake, and jumps through more than one photo at a time, in areas

With Firefox I only see the first photo.

One of my concerns is , when possible clients go to my site , they will turn away, especially if they are told to install latest editions in software or empty caches.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Thanks Denise. That's the most recent version. I'm passing that information on.
    Barb -
    One more piece of possibly related information - the slideshow style (from the style dropdown) also does not work on any of my galleries in IE7 on Vista. It's fine in Firefox, and my XP machine is at work, so I'll need to check that in the morning.

Symptoms? I get a screen showing my gallery description, the slideshow controls, and a big empty space for the missing slideshow.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Are slideshows completely busted for password-protected galleries. They work (slowly though 6-8 seconds to load for each image) on non-password protected galleries, but don't work at all on password-protected galleries.

I view the gallery like a normal viewer. I'm prompted for the password. I enter the password and am taken to the gallery. I press the slideshow button. I first get the Press Esc message, then that goes away and all I have is a giant black screen. Nothing ever appears. I can press Esc to get back to the gallery.

The old Smugmug slideshow used to work on password protected galleries and the slideshow button is still offered. I've done no customization related to slideshows. I'm just talking about the built-in slideshow that comes up when you hit the slideshow button in a gallery.

Same result with IE6 and Firefox. Slideshows work for me on public galleries with no password.

Hey Jfriend,
    we think we have a solution for this and are testing it out, more info soon.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    ChillerChiller Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I just got in and tried it on my home computers. The slide show comes up, but the images are very staggered. Seems the duration of each photo sits on the screen for different lenghts. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif But it is workin...a bit.
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Rex, can we have permission to fix you up temporarily and then for good?

Permission granted!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    rex wrote:
    Permission granted!

Hi,

I think we actually fixed your site earlier today. Can you check and let us know?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I have noticed (along with the first image after the splash gone 90% of the time) that JPEG artifacts that were not there yesterday have creeped in.

(The home page slideshow)
  • Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi,

I think we actually fixed your site earlier today. Can you check and let us know?

Yeah it is the right theme and the slideshow is now working. Wednesday I plan to update a redo a lot of stuff. Thanks for the fix.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Hey Jfriend,
    we think we have a solution for this and are testing it out, more info soon.

Sam

OK, I guess I'll wait. This does seem like a really basic test case that was missed though. I'm sure glad I didn't just go live with a bunch of sports galleries in the last few days that would now have busted slideshows.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    No idea if this is related to this update, but the lightbox seems to not be working for me in this gallery: http://www.theoriginalblackcat.com/gallery/4235287_z9vPi I click and nada. headscratch.gif

If I try to click on one of the sizes in the flyout menu, the menu starts to travel on down the page, detaching itself from the photo. Really weird. And a bit amusing. :giggle

Using FF.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    No idea if this is related to this update, but the lightbox seems to not be working for me in this gallery: http://www.theoriginalblackcat.com/gallery/4235287_z9vPi I click and nada. headscratch.gif

If I try to click on one of the sizes in the flyout menu, the menu starts to travel on down the page, detaching itself from the photo. Really weird. And a bit amusing. :giggle

Using FF.

That's an interesting problem you are having for sure!

I can't replicate that at all. Your gallery, lightbox, and the photobar are working fine for me using Firefox. Can you clear your cache in FF and see if that helps?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    That's an interesting problem you are having for sure!

I can't replicate that at all. Your gallery, lightbox, and the photobar are working fine for me using Firefox. Can you clear your cache in FF and see if that helps?

Cleared the cache and restarted the browser, and I'm still running into the issue. Works fine in IE7, though.

Just to show I'm not going crazy:
    267135859_M8kDV-L.jpg

I'll sleep on it and give it another try in the morning. Last time I had a wonky thing happen in FF, we couldn't figure it out. Come the next morning, everything had snapped right back to normal. We'll see if the same approach works this time around. :D
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Slideshow doesn't work at all for me in FF 2.0.0.12. (the slideshow button is the one that doesn't work). I just get a black screen. The slideshow on my main page continues to work fine.

The new slideshow button works fine in IE (which I never use).

Any suggestions?

http://capturedimaginings.com aka hoyboy.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    sorry, fs slideshow did not have add to cart:
    Sorry.. Apparently I'm losing my mind. I think it's the lightbox view I was thinking of, and confusing with the slideshow.. rolleyes1.gif

But, I do like the new flash slideshow! Although, if I could make a suggestion, do a bit of a speed test on the slideshow the first time it's opened and store in a cookie the results. Then, scale the images to make it faster on slower connections. Just a thought..

David
  • Options
    anglotexiananglotexian Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Captions are very important additions to my pics, and to my viewers. Without them this is a step backwards! Please bring them back to slideshow A.S.A.P.

Thanks, in anticipation!
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Sigh, on my PC laptop with XP home media version.
    Using FF Firefox/2.0.0.12, the slideshow currently is not working and before it would be stuck on the first image and then it would skip about two images on to the fourth shot or so on the homepage. Gallery slideshow does not seem to work.

Using IE 7.0.5730.11
    On the homepage slidesho only some of the images will come up in the thubnail but the slideshow will not play. It's just stuck on the first image.

Gallery slideshow shows it loading up for a second, but after that, nothing.

EDIT: Seems to be fine now both in FF and IE.
    EDIT II: Now neither is working again. I give up. Hope things get fixed soon.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Took a few times deleting the cache but its working now. (I'm using XP btw)

I take that back. I'm still getting the black box!

267224219_AWHED-L.jpg

I'm getting a black box which when clicked on takes me to a slideshow of nothing that should not be there! ne_nau.gif

Clearing my cache does not fix this!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    NougatNougat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    This new slideshow is extremely buggy for me. I have IE7 running in Vista and I have many issues. In "Slideshow" view, I can't click on "Fullscreen" or "Slideshow" (nothing happens). Also, when I am in "Smugmug" view, clicking "Slideshow" takes me to a new window that freezes with the caption "Press Esc to exit fullscreen mode." 1 out of 10 times the first slide will come up, but it freezes after that. When I press Esc, I get a weird green screen that sometimes won't go away. In all other views, the fullscreen slideshow works, but it is very slow and clunky. In Firefox on Vista everything works, but again it is very slow and clunky. The "Fast" setting is way to slow, and the clicking on a thumbnail takes up to 10 seconds to display.

I appreciate all the changes that Smugmug is making to make our sites better, especially stretchy. thumb.gif But is a Zenfolio-like, super fast, super slick slideshow too much to ask? I realize this new flash slideshow has just been released, but it has a very long way to go to get to where Zenfolio already is.
  • Options
    tdinardotdinardo Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    seems to be working for me, can you verify if this is still an issue?

Still an issue. It only plays the gallery one time.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I have been unable to run the full screen slideshow in IE7 on Vista. It runs in Firefox on Vista, and it runs in IE7 on XP.

I've only enabled the full screen slideshow in one gallery for now - http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/3961344.

If I request a full-screen slideshow, I see a full screen of bright green flash by, followed by a full screen of black containing the message "press esc to exit full screen mode". That screen remains, no photos. If I hit esc, I am back in my gallery. If I click the slideshow button again, I am placed in full screen mode - this time with the first slide in my gallery showing, the thumbs across the bottom, and the same message showing in the middle of the screen. The slideshow is not active, and I am unable to click anywhere on the screen. Actually, that's probably not quite true. I can click once, but nothing happens and at that point the mouse pointer is gone.

On the off chance that my customization is causing the problem, I tried a slideshow on my sister's account. She has a standard account, so no customization. The same problem occurs there. I also tried it on Barb's www.photoscapedesign.com, same problem occurs there too.

I have already tried clearing the temporary files, no change in behavior.

Any ideas?

--- Denise

I have this exact same problem. Even Barb's site doesn't work. I though no site would work for me but I tried this site and it works! Maybe there is a clue here?

http://kootenay.smugmug.com/gallery/4505679_6DcUX#265507332 <= this works!

-
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Pamela wrote:
    Still have problems here. With Safari login mode, the slideshow on homepage is slow and my horizontal photos are missing the borders on the left and right sides.

With Safari vistor mode, the slideshow stop at the wedding cake, and jumps through more than one photo at a time, in areas

With Firefox I only see the first photo.

One of my concerns is , when possible clients go to my site , they will turn away, especially if they are told to install latest editions in software or empty caches.

Raptorcaptors website and dennismullens site works for me in FF. Why doesnt mine?

When I do get one photo to show on homepage slideshow the borders of my photos are missing on the sides.

THe same goes with the border in safari.

Is there a fix soon?

Also; on the left bottom of FF window , it shows , Read api.smugmug.com , when I go to my site.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    JuscherlJuscherl Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, looking at your site I see normal smugmug style galleries. Can you pelase clear your cookies and try again? ear.gif

Really stupid question, BUT how do I do that. I am just getting started on that whole thing (I am one of the copy paste people!) ???

It seems like that just the slideshow button is huge, coz the show doesn`t start until I press the button.

Wrong place, but my navbar is not center and I tried the stuff you wrote in one of the other threads, it`s not working. I guess I am missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Greeting from Vienna
  • Options
    glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Fullscreen slideshow won't return to gallery
    My fullscreen gallery works and looks great using Win XP and IE6 overhere!

Trouble starts when I want to exit the fullscreen slideshow. After clicking 'Return to Gallery' I enter a fullscreen version of gallery I was in. By fullscreen version I mean: like the F11 option in IE, but without buttons or windows bar. Another funny thing is my customized header is gone and replaced by the SmugMug one. The only way to exit the screen is by using Alt-F4 to close the window.

Hope this makes sense... Example gallery: Blue Angels.
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I have this exact same problem. Even Barb's site doesn't work. I though no site would work for me but I tried this site and it works! Maybe there is a clue here?

http://kootenay.smugmug.com/gallery/4505679_6DcUX#265507332 <= this works!

-

I'm experiencing the same problems with Vista and using IE7 - no go - just hte black screen with the words in the midle of hte page - however the link above does work for me using the same pc.

I also tried using my work laptop, using IE6 and that still does not work.

However, when I use my Opera browser it does work using Vista - go figure, Microsfot's browser causes the issues !
This discussion has been closed.