Options

HEADS UP: New Release, March 17, 2008. Slideshow Issues?

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    OK, I got the two computers to act alike. I deleted the flash plugins and active-x for adobe. The slideshow then reloaded the flash plugin.
    I deleted everthing from customization to make it virgin and when I click slideshow the screen still goes black and says "click esc to exit fullscreen mode". Then nothing.
    Once in a while the first picture will load, but that's it.

Barb,

I went to your site and it does the same thing for me. On both my Vista with IE7 machines.
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb,

I went to your site and it does the same thing for me. On both my Vista with IE7 machines.
    Ditto. No one's homepage or gallery slideshows are working for me in FF or IE either.
  • Options
    ChillerChiller Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I hit F5 , and it came up, slow but sure. Seems every photo has to load before it actually flowed smooth. We checkin on a computer at the company next door, and it was a no go. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Don't know if this is something you are aware of but I'm getting a large black box in all of my galleries (IE 7) Don't have this problem if FF.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Don't know if this is something you are aware of but I'm getting a large black box in all of my galleries (IE 7) Don't have this problem if FF.
    I'm seeing this:

20080317-88txecg325sr9cmj7kp1ck877h.jpg

try clearing your ie7 cookies and cache?
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3232532

To clear your cookies in Internet Explorer 7, click on "Tools". It's in the top right corner of the browser. Then select "Internet Options". That's going to open a new window with some options. Make sure that the "General" tab is selected. Then click on "Delete..." under the Browsing History section. That will bring up another window. Locate the "Delete Cookies..." button and click on that. That will remove all the cookies from your browser.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3232576

To clear your cache in Internet Explorer 7, click on "Tools". It's in the top right corner of the browser. Then select "Internet Options". That's going to open a new window with some options. Make sure that the "General" tab is selected. Then click on "Delete..." under the Browsing History section. That will bring up another window. Locate the "Delete Files..." button and click on that.
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm seeing this:

try clearing your ie7 cookies?

To clear your cookies in Internet Explorer 7, click on "Tools". It's in the top right corner of the browser. Then select "Internet Options". That's going to open a new window with some options. Make sure that the "General" tab is selected. Then click on "Delete..." under the Browsing History section. That will bring up another window. Locate the "Delete Cookies..." button and click on that. That will remove all the cookies from your browser.

Took a few times deleting the cache but its working now. (I'm using XP btw)

I take that back. I'm still getting the black box!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    One more thing...Visitor View is very cool! I think I've punched that button a hundred times tonight! I noticed that no matter where I am on the site, hitting VV always takes me back to my homepage. Then I have to navigate back to where I was. Not a big deal...just thought I'd mention it.

Just another note...When I'm somewhere other than my homepage in Owner View, clicking Visitor View takes me to my hompage (and I have to click back to where I was originally). When I'm somewhere other than my homepage in Visitor View, clicking Owner View keeps me on the same page. thumb.gif It would be nice if clicking Visitor View did not have to go to the homepage but could stay on the page where it was clicked.

Thanks for the updates, folks!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    We built it to reside solely on your homepage. It's only elsewhere because of your customization.

So I don't know if there is a solution to that for you. Sorry!

Oops! Sorry I missed this reply before I mentioned it again. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    BenA2 wrote:
    Ditto. No one's homepage or gallery slideshows are working for me in FF or IE either.

Seems to be working now.

Still kinda slow, but that could be my connection.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008
    Full screen slideshow not working in IE7 on Vista
    I have been unable to run the full screen slideshow in IE7 on Vista. It runs in Firefox on Vista, and it runs in IE7 on XP.

I've only enabled the full screen slideshow in one gallery for now - http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/3961344.

If I request a full-screen slideshow, I see a full screen of bright green flash by, followed by a full screen of black containing the message "press esc to exit full screen mode". That screen remains, no photos. If I hit esc, I am back in my gallery. If I click the slideshow button again, I am placed in full screen mode - this time with the first slide in my gallery showing, the thumbs across the bottom, and the same message showing in the middle of the screen. The slideshow is not active, and I am unable to click anywhere on the screen. Actually, that's probably not quite true. I can click once, but nothing happens and at that point the mouse pointer is gone.

On the off chance that my customization is causing the problem, I tried a slideshow on my sister's account. She has a standard account, so no customization. The same problem occurs there. I also tried it on Barb's www.photoscapedesign.com, same problem occurs there too.

I have already tried clearing the temporary files, no change in behavior.

Any ideas?

--- Denise
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    KEEE-rap. Yeah yeah, full-screen slideshows are sexy and all, but I guess they only work well if you've got crazy fast MacPros (ahem) with connections that are somehow faster than mine to SmugMug's servers.

I've tested full-screen with on a Ubuntu Linux box w/ quad 3GHz CPUs and 2GB of RAM (Dell Precision 690) as well as a much more modest (but still not slow!) Win XP box running on a single 2.8GHz CPU w/ 1GB of RAM (Dell Optiplex GX620).

Full-screen slideshow is sluggish, and laggy. It comes up with the first photo, and thumbs *crawl* to load. When they finally do, if I want to skip to an interesting photo by clicking on a thumb, there is a noticable lag before the progress bar shows up and it switches. If I impatiently click on several thumbs while waiting for the first one, it queues them up, and then they load in quick sequence, although even then, there are substantial lags between photo loads.

It's really really annoying.

Thank god the slideshow "style" option is still available from the drop-down. That works very well, and is much better than the old JavaScript version. My suggestion is to make *that* the default action for the Slideshow button, and provide a "full screen" option from within there. And then I would suggest you fix the laggy full-screen slideshow. Because it sucks.

Sorry, I'm not usually so cranky (really!), but I'm really not pleased with this particular "upgrade".

(Oh yeah, network connection is a DS3 on AT&T's network in Sunnyvale, CA. A traceroute from Smugmug to here shows that it's going out the llnw.net pipe and coming in on our pbi.net circuit. No more than 6 little hops.)

Everything else on SmugMug is loading fine. Using Lightbox in XL or slideshow "style" in Large I can flip through photos quite rapidly.

Nyeh.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    darryl wrote:

Nyeh.
    We're terribly concerned with speed. I'm on the east coast, much further away from you :)

The first slide in an originals-enabled gallery

http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131481399

for me starts in 4-5secs on IE6 XP and 2-3secs on Safari3 Mac.

Thanks for the feedback, I shared this right with the developers. We want it to be fast for all!
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 17, 2008
    I have been unable to run the full screen slideshow in IE7 on Vista. It runs in Firefox on Vista, and it runs in IE7 on XP.

I've only enabled the full screen slideshow in one gallery for now - http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/3961344.

If I request a full-screen slideshow, I see a full screen of bright green flash by, followed by a full screen of black containing the message "press esc to exit full screen mode". That screen remains, no photos. If I hit esc, I am back in my gallery. If I click the slideshow button again, I am placed in full screen mode - this time with the first slide in my gallery showing, the thumbs across the bottom, and the same message showing in the middle of the screen. The slideshow is not active, and I am unable to click anywhere on the screen. Actually, that's probably not quite true. I can click once, but nothing happens and at that point the mouse pointer is gone.

On the off chance that my customization is causing the problem, I tried a slideshow on my sister's account. She has a standard account, so no customization. The same problem occurs there. I also tried it on Barb's www.photoscapedesign.com, same problem occurs there too.

I have already tried clearing the temporary files, no change in behavior.

Any ideas?

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

Sorry you're having problems :( We are certainly looking into this. Can you check one thing for me?

http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=3961344&AlbumKey=8Ho4N

If you click on that link, does the slideshow work for you?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi Denise,

Sorry you're having problems :( We are certainly looking into this. Can you check one thing for me?

I can answer as I have the exact same problem.
    Yes it works, but with a titlebar, address bar, and sides, etc. so not fullscreen. My 1920x1080 pictures will not fill the screen.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    I can answer as I have the exact same problem.
    Yes it works, but with a titlebar, address bar, and sides, etc. so not fullscreen. My 1920x1080 pictures will not fill the screen.

The link I provided will give you title bar, etc. If you go to a gallery, and click on the slideshow button, you should get a window without titlebar, address bar. Are you not?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    The link I provided will give you title bar, etc. If you go to a gallery, and click on the slideshow button, you should get a window without titlebar, address bar. Are you not?

It works when the window first opens as discribed. If iI hit escape and get out of it, then use the slideshow button to open it again, it opens fullscreen black, etc. as denise discribed, and doesn't work.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    It works when the window first opens as discribed. If iI hit escape and get out of it, then use the slideshow button to open it again, it opens fullscreen black, etc. as denise discribed, and doesn't work.

Hm, I cannot replicate that in IE7. If I click slideshow, it opens, plays, and if I close and then click slideshow again, it plays. We'll look into this.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hm, I cannot replicate that in IE7. If I click slideshow, it opens, plays, and if I close and then click slideshow again, it plays. We'll look into this.

It seems to work in a window, (when I click your link it opens in a window) but not fullscreen. Also when in the window, right click settings works, but fullscreen it does not.

Are you using Vista?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    It seems to work in a window, (when I click your link it opens in a window) but not fullscreen. Also when in the window, right click settings works, but fullscreen it does not.

Are you using Vista?

Yes, IE7 in Vista.

Right-clicking on either the fullscreen (clicking on the slideshow) button or via the link I gave above gives me the exact same options: print, settings, about adobe flash player 9.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Yes, IE7 in Vista.

Right-clicking on either the fullscreen (clicking on the slideshow) button or via the link I gave above gives me the exact same options: print, settings, about adobe flash player 9.

Yes, but the settings option doesn't respond in fullscreen for me.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Yes, but the settings option doesn't respond in fullscreen.

Can you go here and let us know what version of flash you have in IE?

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15507
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Can you go here and let us know what version of flash you have in IE?

It's the latest version. WIN 9,0,115,0.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Can you check one thing for me?

Hey Barb -
    Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. The link takes me to a totally black browser screen.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Hey Barb -
    Unfortunately, that doesn't work either. The link takes me to a totally black browser screen.

--- Denise

Hi Denise,

Go here:

And let us know what version of flash you have. Thx :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008

This 100% describes my experience on IE7 (actually IE8 in IE7 emulation mode) in Vista.

267029149_4MGzv-L-0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    This 100% describes my experience on IE7 (actually IE8 in IE7 emulation mode) in Vista.

267029149_4MGzv-L-0.jpg

Hi,

Have you tried in regular IE7? We don't support beta browsers, I'm afraid, so would love to know if you are having a problem in IE7.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Hi,

Have you tried in regular IE7? We don't support beta browsers, I'm afraid, so would love to know if you are having a problem in IE7.

(For the record, IE7 emulation mode is really good at pretending to be, IE7, though I do understand your point.)

On the wife's computer now. Logged into smugmug for the first time. Opened a gallery of mine (different from the one I'd tried the slideshow on before), and it worked perfectly.

Then I returned to my galleries and clicked on the gallery that I had tried the slide show on my computer - no dice - just a black screen.

Tried a 3rd gallery - also a black screen. Note that this problem (black screen) is very different from what I was experiencing on my own computer.

Oh, and she has adobe version 9,0,28,0
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    (For the record, IE7 emulation mode is really good at pretending to be, IE7, though I do understand your point.)

On the wife's computer now. Logged into smugmug for the first time. Opened a gallery of mine (different from the one I'd tried the slideshow on before), and it worked perfectly.

Then I returned to my galleries and clicked on the gallery that I had tried the slide show on my computer - no dice - just a black screen.

Tried a 3rd gallery - also a black screen. Note that this problem (black screen) is very different from what I was experiencing on my own computer.

Oh, and she has adobe version 9,0,28,0

Hi,

Thanks!

can you update your wife's computer to the most recent version of flash and see if that helps?

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Barb wrote:

And let us know what version of flash you have. Thx :)
    Results of the test were: WIN 9,0,115,0

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    It's the latest version. WIN 9,0,115,0.

Thank you. I'm taking notes and passing them on to our sorcerers.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
This discussion has been closed.