Options

Option to disable the iphone 'backdoor'?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:

Am also trying to figure out when this feature was implemented, are there any other extensions for products that I should know about that allow similar access?
    Do you read our release notes? ear.gif there's a link to them on www.smugmug.com and also in your news tab, control panel.
  • Options
    cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I really think this would set a bad trend going. If you have public galleries, there's no big deal, IMO.

A bad trend for who? For us your consumer, or the iphone users? Is there some hand shaking going on that would upset iphone if smumug account holders actually had the ability to control what the iphone users are able to do.

Why not allow the pro account users that ability to opt out of sharing photos. The pro account users are traditionally ones who are trying to sell their photos for income, and not give them away. rolleyes1.gif

So I can try to see the flip side of the coin, can I ask the reasoning behind not giving us the option to just opt out?
  • Options
    stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    Christine - according to the iphone webapps page http://www.apple.com/webapps/entertainment/smugmug.html the smugmug iphone pages were made available circa Oct 2007. "search, browse and enjoy 180 million photos on your phone" say Apple.

Allen - if you dont use any CSS on your regular Smugmug homepage then you are right, it makes no difference.
    but . . . . if you DO hide any categories on your homepage (or on any other of your smgmug pages) using the CSS tools available to Power/Pro users, then there IS a big difference, because the sophistication of the CSS is ignored by the iphone pages.

Andy - Leaving aside the fact that the Smugmug's javascript right-click 'protection' can be circumvented by hitting 'Print Screen' (as all but the newest newbie must know) adding right-click protection to iphone pages may help Christine's particular situation but ignores my original point. The iphone pages still undermine my CSS customisation.
    The option to opt out of iphone pages (maybe by using external links mechanism) should be available to Pro AND Power users as it directly relates to CSS.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    Christine - according to the iphone webapps page http://www.apple.com/webapps/entertainment/smugmug.html the smugmug iphone pages were made available circa Oct 2007. "search, browse and enjoy 180 million photos on your phone" say Apple.

Allen - if you dont use any CSS on your regular Smugmug homepage then you are right, it makes no difference.
    but . . . . if you DO hide any categories on your homepage (or on any other of your smgmug pages) using the CSS tools available to Power/Pro users, then there IS a big difference, because the sophistication of the CSS is ignored by the iphone pages.

Andy - Leaving aside the fact that the Smugmug's javascript right-click 'protection' can be circumvented by hitting 'Print Screen' (as all but the newest newbie must know) adding right-click protection to iphone pages may help Christine's particular situation
    I've put in a request to fix this.
    but ignores my original point. The iphone pages still undermine my CSS customisation.
    The option to opt out of iphone pages (maybe by using external links mechanism) should be available to Pro AND Power users as it directly relates to CSS.
    Thanks for the feature request, we hear it loud and clear. Can't promise that we'll allow this granularity, but thanks for telling us how important it is to you!
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    A bad trend for who? For us your consumer, or the iphone users? Is there some hand shaking going on that would upset iphone if smumug account holders actually had the ability to control what the iphone users are able to do.

Why not allow the pro account users that ability to opt out of sharing photos. The pro account users are traditionally ones who are trying to sell their photos for income, and not give them away. rolleyes1.gif

So I can try to see the flip side of the coin, can I ask the reasoning behind not giving us the option to just opt out?
    A bad trend for folks using all sorts of devices, real, and future-imagined :)

If we respect your gallery settings, it should be a non-issue.

Thanks for adding your voice to opt-out. Not sure if that's even possible, but thanks for telling us how important shutting your site down from mobile users is. Personally, I think you're making a mistake with this thinking...
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    Andy - Leaving aside the fact that the Smugmug's javascript right-click 'protection' can be circumvented by hitting 'Print Screen' (as all but the newest newbie must know) adding right-click protection to iphone pages may help Christine's particular situation but ignores my original point. The iphone pages still undermine my CSS customisation.

That's the most important part of this whole thing I personally think. It's not a situation unique to myself, I have many collegues that do similar work who were not at all happy to find out this little gem.

Andy, yes I do read the feed that appears on my homepage, and just realized that I can opt in to get email updates.(bonus) When I went through the blog archives, I see a post in early September about the iphones. What concerns me is no where in the release does it mention anything about the ability to browse on your pc nor does it mention that the iphone users are not only able to browse, but also upload the photos.(to the phone and the pc) It talks about something exciting for iphone users, something that because I do not have one, would have probably skipped over without recognizing that these problems would exist.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    but . . . . if you DO hide any categories on your homepage (or on any other of your smgmug pages) using the CSS tools available to Power/Pro users, then there IS a big difference, because the sophistication of the CSS is ignored by the iphone pages...
    I think you're missing that with the iphone view you only see the photo and
    not the page so your CSS is meaningless. Switching to a regular browser view
    your CSS is active and seen. BTW, on a PC with WebDev I can completely
    disable your CSS and js and see those hidden cats.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2008
    I think you're missing that with the iphone view you only see the photo and
    not the page so your CSS is meaningless.

Wait now, doesn't this mean that iphone users can opt to see the iphone friendly version or the regular version of each site?
    from the release notes
      [*]A link from your homepage to iPhone if you’re browsing on your phone.
      [*]A link on your iPhone back to ‘Full Homepage’ so you can go back to regular SmugMug
      Personally, I think you're making a mistake with this thinking...

I wish someone could convince me of this, I still can't see how this feature benefits me, call me selfish, but I want my site to work for me, my business and my clients...I don't give a rats behind about being someones background photo on their iphone, which is the only reason I can see, read or understand why this is enabled in the first place....again "free stock images" comes to mind. Can you please try to tell me why I'm making a mistake?
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      cdonovan wrote:
      Wait now, doesn't this mean that iphone users can opt to see the iphone friendly version or the regular version of each site?

Sure, the iPhone, like many mobile devices, has a browser (Safari) and it can see any website.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      cdonovan wrote:
      I wish someone could convince me of this, I still can't see how this feature benefits me, call me selfish, but I want my site to work for me, my business and my clients...I don't give a rats behind about being someones background photo on their iphone, which is the only reason I can see, read or understand why this is enabled in the first place....again "free stock images" comes to mind. Can you please try to tell me why I'm making a mistake?
      You're not alone. Many pros "button up" too much. I'm a pro. I sell my work. I want my work to be seen by anyone, anywhere, anytime.

You should too. I think you are getting worked up over one thing (access via mobile phones) that is a benefit to you. If the access obeys the gallery settings, it's a no brainer in my opinion. Embrace the web. Don't hide.

Why won't someone use a mobile device to show a proof of what you're trying to sell? To get approval or concurrence on purchase?

Don't shut out a single visitor or viewer, in my opinion.
    • Options
      SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      I just learned about this issue and am concerned as well. I purchased a Pro account, added watermarks and right-click protected all of my images in all of my public galleries so they'd be 'safe'. Now, as I understand it, they're not? They can be downloaded without my permission? And without compensation?

Is security not one of the advantages sold by SmugMug?

ne_nau.gif
      Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
      http://www.imagesbyceci.com
      http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
      Picadilly, NB, Canada
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      Snowgirl wrote:
      I just learned about this issue and am concerned as well. I purchased a Pro account, added watermarks and right-click protected all of my images in all of my public galleries so they'd be 'safe'. Now, as I understand it, they're not? They can be downloaded without my permission? And without compensation?

Is security not one of the advantages sold by SmugMug?

ne_nau.gif

OK Folks, Let's say it again. I'm really sorry this is confusing, we'll try and clear things up.

The iPhone respects the sizes you allow in your gallery settings. The iPhone respects public and unlisted galleries.

adding /iphone to a url like nickname.smugmug.com/iphone in a browser will go around right click protection for the images -- we'll plug that (and thanks again to the Original Poster for pointing this out).

But please, please, don't jump to conclusions about mobile phone usage to browse your sites :) It's a good thing for people to see your public stuff on any platform.

Security is hugely important to us, and we take it very seriously.
    • Options
      mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      Andy wrote:
      Sure, the iPhone, like many mobile devices, has a browser (Safari) and it can see any website.
      Then give US the option to shut them out of the iphone friendly version if we so desire.

I'd like the option to kill feeds completely too, but that fell on deaf ears as well.

Smugmug is a fantastic service, but sometimes it seems like being technologically "with it" carries more weight than real customer desire.

Offer all the gizmos, I'm sure many users like them. Hell, turn them on by default. But give ME the ability to turn them off if thats my wish.
      Andy wrote:
      You're not alone. Many pros "button up" too much. I'm a pro. I sell my work. I want my work to be seen by anyone, anywhere, anytime.
      But I have customers (PTA organizations) who don't want my work (their kids) "to be seen by anyone, anywhere, anytime". They also don't want to deal with having to distribute passwords to hundreds of families.

The hidden category hack allows for a modicum of relative privacy for otherwise "public" galleries. Can it be circumvented? Sure. But the number of users who might figure out how is in the sub 1% range. Just like locks on your house... If a real criminal wants your new Plasma TV the locks are a momentary annoyance.

Combine the hidden category hack with the vanity url hack and its very easy to keep people with non-paranoid privacy concerns happy and not break the breadcrumb navigation system (which happens with unlisted gallerys).
    • Options
      omgitsacameraomgitsacamera Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      I'm lost, let me get a grasp of what is going on:

If you append an /iphone to the address, it still conforms with the size options but not the right-click protection?
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      I'm lost, let me get a grasp of what is going on:

If you append an /iphone to the address, it still conforms with the size options but not the right-click protection?
      http://www.omgitsacamera.smugmug.com/iphone/
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      Andy wrote:
      byw, on that page click "Smugmug on iPhone" and put your nickname in search users
      and you'll see what your site looks like with iPhone.

Sure wish it showed categories rather then the 100's of galleries, be easier to
      jump to galleries in a category then page after page of galleries to go though.
    • Options
      timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      cdonovan wrote:

FWIW, there is no way to save a photo from the web to your iPhone, or set it as the background. At least, I can't figure out a way to do it with mine, and same with other people I know with iPhones. You have to save the image to your computer, then sync it to your iPhone from there.
    • Options
      timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      Allen wrote:
      Sure wish it showed categories rather then the 100's of galleries, be easier to jump to galleries in a category then page after page of galleries to go though.

Same here, that would be great! Just make it follow the same category and gallery structure as site. mwink.gif
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      mbellot wrote:
      Then give US the option to shut them out of the iphone friendly version if we so desire.

Smugmug is a fantastic service, but sometimes it seems like being technologically "with it" carries more weight than real customer desire.

Offer all the gizmos, I'm sure many users like them. Hell, turn them on by default. But give ME the ability to turn them off if thats my wish.

Amen to that!

I personally don't like being told what is good for me and my business, at the very least I think that these frilly things should be optional and allow those who don't want to participate to opt out. What fits for ones business, doesn't fit with everyone elses.

I've wasted entirely too much time trying to get my point across here. I hope it's been worth something.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      cdonovan wrote:
      Amen to that!

I personally don't like being told what is good for me and my business, at the very least I think that these frilly things should be optional and allow those who don't want to participate to opt out. What fits for ones business, doesn't fit with everyone elses.

I've wasted entirely too much time trying to get my point across here. I hope it's been worth something.
      Hi Christine, I'm not telling you what's good for you. I'm voicing my opinion, and I'm entitled to do so, just like you are :) I walk in your shoes as well thumb.gif

You haven't wasted a moment - we give a darn about every single issue, and we can see the passion in your posts and comments.

Play fair, Christine, I am.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      cdonovan wrote:
      Amen to that!

So what happens when another pc/mac browser is created and it just
      happens to look and act like the iPhone browser? Maybe Opera, Flock, IE6,
      IE7 or any other browser you don't like can be disabled from viewing your site.

Just food for thought.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      Allen wrote:
      So what happens when another pc/mac browser is created and it just
      happens to look and act like the iPhone browser? Maybe Opera, Flock, IE6,
      IE7 or any other browser you don't like can be disabled from viewing your site.

Just food for thought.
      Its not the iPhone browser that is at issue Allen, it is the iPhone customized interface to SmugMug that is, since it is bypassing things that I have worked to set up and SmugMug (whom I am paying) is the one enabling the interface, not the iphone.

To your other point, disabling browsers is somewhat trivial using a bit of javascript. But I can't disable a link to a version of my site that I don't want available if it gets parsed and redirected before it ever hits my homepage.

Andy, to be fair you were voicing an opinion that sounded like you were telling some of us what to do.
      Andy wrote:
      You're not alone. Many pros "button up" too much.
      That sounds (IMHO) like you're telling us we need to be more interested in being "seen" for the good of our business.

Having sections of my site seen by just anyone is counter productive to my business. YMMV.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      Andy wrote:
      Hi Christine, I'm not telling you what's good for you. I'm voicing my opinion, and I'm entitled to do so, just like you are :) I walk in your shoes as well thumb.gif

You haven't wasted a moment - we give a darn about every single issue, and we can see the passion in your posts and comments.

Play fair, Christine, I am.

Sorry Andy, that didn't mean to come across as being b$#%^&. When I said that I dont' like being told what is good for me and my business, I wasn't referring to your post about what is good about the iphone thing, I was referring to the features of the site that I don't want to participate with, but have to, (example this and the feeds) because it's a blanket feature.

I love smugmug, and despite being very upset about this feature I won't be moving out or changing sites, the fact remains that you are number 1 with customer service, and that 99% of the time I'm thrilled with smugmug. I thank you for looking into protecting the images at the very least and taking the suggestion of being able to opt out of the service altogether.

So until the opt out feature is available I'll have all galleries password protected. Is there a way that access could be granted to iphone users based on the option of easy share being turned on or off, rather than the password protection?
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      cdonovan wrote:
      Is there a way that access could be granted to iphone users based on the option of easy share being turned on or off, rather than the password protection?
      Thx Christine :)

I have no idea - and I don't want to distract our Sorcerers from improving the Cart, working on coupons, packages, etc.
    • Options
      jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      mbellot wrote:

I'd like the option to kill feeds completely too, but that fell on deaf ears as well.

But I have customers (PTA organizations) who don't want my work (their kids) "to be seen by anyone, anywhere, anytime". They also don't want to deal with having to distribute passwords to hundreds of families.

The hidden category hack allows for a modicum of relative privacy for otherwise "public" galleries. Can it be circumvented? Sure. But the number of users who might figure out how is in the sub 1% range. Just like locks on your house... If a real criminal wants your new Plasma TV the locks are a momentary annoyance.

Combine the hidden category hack with the vanity url hack and its very easy to keep people with non-paranoid privacy concerns happy and not break the breadcrumb navigation system (which happens with unlisted gallerys).

Folks, you need to rethink what you're asking for and how you've set up your galleries. A CSS hack to "hide" a gallery is like drawing the shades on one window and leaving the window right next to it wide open. There are purposely many, many ways to get to public galleries. A CSS hack only makes it more difficult to get there in one specific way.

If you don't want a gallery to be public, then don't make it public. Smugmug provides several excellent alternatives that, when you use them, will not be visible in the mobile UI. I would strongly suggest that everyone who's using a CSS hack to hide a gallery or category and really doesn't want that to be browsable should seriously reconsider how they are doing it because the CSS hack only deters one of many possible ways in.

Just to give you an idea for how many other ways there are to discover your galleries if you make them public, here are a few others:
      • Any web crawler can crawl your site and see all public galleries. They are all their in the HTML.
      • Anyone who blocks your custom CSS can see all public galleries.
      • Anyone looking at the HTML for your pages can see all public galleries. CSS only makes a compliant browser not display them, the HTML is still there.
      • Anyone using the Smugmug APIs can see all public galleries.
      • Anyone using one of several products built on the Smugmug APIs can see all public galleries.
      • Mobile browsing interface.
      • And probably four or five more ways that I don't even know about.

Public galleries are meant to be accessible to the public and are designed that way. If you don't want them accessible to the public, then you really should use one of the three methods Smugmug provides you for that:
      1. Password protect your site
      2. Password protect the gallery
      3. Make the gallery unlisted
      I repeat, using CSS hacks is like closing the shades on one window while leaving three other windows wide open. If you want all the windows closed and locked, use one of the supported methods for privacy that Smugmug has provided.
      --John
      HomepagePopular
      JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
      Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      jfriend wrote:
      A CSS hack only makes it more difficult to get there in one specific way.

Precisely. I (and some of my customers) do not want random vistors to my homepage to be able to easily find certain photos/galleries.

But, I need them to be easy to navigate for those that should see them and as painless as possible to get in for those who should be there.

I don't need or want a $50,000 security system for my 10 year old Toyota because I'm worried someone might steal it. Locking the door is sufficient to keep all but the serious crooks honest. Same goes for the CSS hacks.
      jfriend wrote:
      1. Password protect your site
      2. Password protect the gallery
      3. Make the gallery unlisted

1 and 2 involve additional "overhead" (password dispersal) that my customers don't want to have to deal with and 3 totally breaks navigation.
    • Options
      georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      Strongly agree with this...
      Allen wrote:
      ...Sure wish it showed categories rather then the 100's of galleries, be easier to jump to galleries in a category then page after page of galleries to go though.

I second this. GS
      See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
    • Options
      stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
      edited March 28, 2008
      Andy wrote:
      . . . don't shut out a single visitor or viewer, in my opinion.

You assume I want to sell my images?
      I think too many assumptions are being made. I am not a professional photographer. I am an Architect and want to give clients url links to a category for their project. Each Client gets a category. My homepage shows no categories so they cant browse up. I dont want to password galleries for the same reason as Christine. I am 100% happy with my Smugmug setup . .I just dont want casual browsers looking at my client's stuff via the iphone page.

There are as many ways of using Smugmug as there are users. We all have different needs so 'flexibility' is the key and it is what SMugmug excels at.

Yes I know there are loads of ways of viewing 'public' galleries if you know webdev and disabling CSS etc but most folks dont. Smugmug actually promote 'right click protection' for Power Users! Right click protection is only slightly better than useless and can be circumvented by a screen grab. So it is a little disingenuous to suggest on one hand that my CSS hack to hide galleries is all but useless and on the other hand to promote right click protection! I know which one is the trickier to get around.

Why are folks resistant and 'defensive' about this? The ability to exlude iphones from seeing non externally linked galleries is a good option to have and disadvantages no-one.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      mbellot wrote:
      Precisely. I (and some of my customers) do not want random vistors to my homepage to be able to easily find certain photos/galleries.

But, I need them to be easy to navigate for those that should see them and as painless as possible to get in for those who should be there.

I don't need or want a $50,000 security system for my 10 year old Toyota because I'm worried someone might steal it. Locking the door is sufficient to keep all but the serious crooks honest. Same goes for the CSS hacks.

1 and 2 involve additional "overhead" (password dispersal) that my customers don't want to have to deal with and 3 totally breaks navigation.
      Unlisted doesn't break navigation at all. And it won't show up on the iPhone.
    • Options
      edited March 28, 2008
      stuartb wrote:
      You assume I want to sell my images?
      I think too many assumptions are being made. I am not a professional photographer. I am an Architect and want to give clients url links to a category for their project. Each Client gets a category. My homepage shows no categories so they cant browse up. I dont want to password galleries for the same reason as Christine.

I'm not sure why making them 'unlisted' won't work for you? You can still give them links to their galleries. Then they won't show on the iPhone.

Doesn't this work? What am I missing... I'm all ears and not defensive at all, this is a fine topic. But let's have the facts and make rational decisions :)