Options

Option to disable the iphone 'backdoor'?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    dgentile wrote:
    And yes, feeds also will circumnavigate the right-click protection... BUT ONLY FOR A THUMBNAIL Sized photo ... so that should be absolutely no problem.
    Actually, this is not true. Feeds have full links to the larger sizes of your photos in them too. It so happens that some apps that display feeds only display the thumbnail, but others display a larger (non-right-click-protected) image. And, the direct link URLs are in the feeds.

Right-click-protection is simply not decent protection from anyone other than a total internet newbie. It can be bypassed in seconds.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    JustMeAndreJustMeAndre Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    dvaughn wrote:
    One of the Smug Mug Heroes set this and it now appears to be working and staying on disabled. Thanks clap.gif

I also just tried it a minute ago, twice actually, and it resets to enable.
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2009
    I also just tried it a minute ago, twice actually, and it resets to enable.
    Yours is set to 'disable' when I checked it...
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Yours is set to 'disable' when I checked it...

Thanks Andy - when I refreshed my browser, it changed, that seems to be the "save" button before it takes effect.
    I don't want the feeds on either, having same problem there. Can you check that also please Andy.
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    see above
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Securite / iphone?
    Andy, I know this is a long shot, but I have strong suspicion that my sales are down due to the fact that a lot of would be customers/users (which by the way are school kids) have had a possible way of either downloading my pics or gotten hold of them somehow which resulted in no orders from them. I have google stats, and can see that a lot of those galleries were viewed many times over and over, but never one sale. Is there anyway possible tofind out which galleries were downloaded from, or some or other geek method of "stealing"?

I know you have biger fish to fry, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks
    André
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    I don't want the feeds on either, h

I think for a pro, this is crazy.
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/pros/2008/07/05/repeat-after-me-feeds-are-our-friends/
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Andy, I know this is a long shot, but I have strong suspicion that my sales are down due to the fact that a lot of would be customers/users (which by the way are school kids) have had a possible way of either downloading my pics or gotten hold of them somehow which resulted in no orders from them. I have google stats, and can see that a lot of those galleries were viewed many times over and over, but never one sale. Is there anyway possible tofind out which galleries were downloaded from, or some or other geek method of "stealing"?

I know you have biger fish to fry, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Thanks
    André
    do you block originals and the larger sizes? Do you have a watermark?
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    do you block originals and the larger sizes? Do you have a watermark?

Yes I have watermarks, and largest size is "large".
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I have not worked with feeds EVER - except when subscribing to Smug feeds recently, which is pretty cool. I guess I want them turned off, as my wife and I are working our behinds flat, and do not see the results we were hoping for, and also, want to any "unknown" method of viewing my pics the way I intend them to be viewed.
    I am sure you are going to say " still crazy" right?

In a nutshell.. & without holding you responsible for anything - are there any "security threats" with feeds. If not, then I guess I will start using it. Never too old to learn.
    "No More Lost Memories"
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:

First, thanks for the option to disable RSS. thumb.gif

Second, I don't completely disagree with you but because its an all or nothing option I need to disable it.

Maybe v2 could be a gallery level setting whether or not to publish in the feeds instead of one global setting.
  • Options
    steamphotossteamphotos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2009
    As others have reported, I too was having difficulty setting the iPhone option to disabled using IE8. I would click disabled, but when I came back to the page the enabled radio button would be checked. After several attempts, I tried it in Firefox and it worked on the first try. Perhaps a compatibility issue with IE8 that needs attention.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2009
    I was able to confirm that this is a bug and I am reporting it to the programmers. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I was able to confirm that this is a bug and I am reporting it to the programmers. thumb.gif

SM or M$?

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 16, 2009
    Actually its ours, I think.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    I have iphone disabled and iphones still can come on my site
    How?
    What does "disabled" mean then?
    This iphone was on the site for 4h and 20 minutes

760184177_z6jED-M.jpg

760184229_uKf3V-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    TCS wrote:
    How?

The option doesn't prevent an iPhone from viewing your site, only from accessing the "backdoor" version (http://yoursite.smugmug.com/iphone) which disables all of your customization.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    mbellot wrote:
    The option doesn't prevent an iPhone from viewing your site, only from accessing the "backdoor" version (http://yoursite.smugmug.com/iphone) which disables all of your customization.

Ha thanks. I just tried and it shows as if it was seen from a normal computer, still usable.
  • Options
    AFBlueAFBlue Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    TCS wrote:
    How?

760184177_z6jED-M.jpg

760184229_uKf3V-L.jpg

I was interested to see that this particular visitor from the UK spent quite a bit of time yesterday on your site. The same iphone user spent over an hour yesterday checking everything on my site (again). Don't know what he is up to, but I've been uneasy about his motives and seeing that you (and probably many others) are having the same level of visitation (probing?) does not make me feel any better.
    Any informed speculation about this UK user's intentions?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2010
    AFBlue wrote:
    I was interested to see that this particular visitor from the UK spent quite a bit of time yesterday on your site. The same iphone user spent over an hour yesterday checking everything on my site (again). Don't know what he is up to, but I've been uneasy about his motives and seeing that you (and probably many others) are having the same level of visitation (probing?) does not make me feel any better.
    When you have public galleries, why are you "uneasy" about having someone view them? It sounds like maybe you don't want your galleries to be public.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2010
    AFBlue wrote:

I think it was the same one (same location, I would have to find the file to be sure) that made me disable iphones as he was going through every single galleries that did not have a password, unlisted and all. It is not the first time. That was why I googled and found the old thread showing the bug.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    TCS wrote:
    I think it was the same one (same location, I would have to find the file to be sure) that made me disable iphones as he was going through every single galleries that did not have a password, unlisted and all. It is not the first time. That was why I googled and found the old thread showing the bug.

You cannot prevent iPhones from visiting your regular site - at that point it's just an internet browser (mobile safari) and to exclude one browser is ridiculous. What you are preventing is iPhone users from seeing a special "iPhone version" of your site that has none of your customization, including customization intended to hide certain galleries from most visitors.