Options

The Full Screen Slideshow Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    And one more question...
    Does this new flash slideshow still have the same memory problem the Shizam flash did? I remember it was a flash problem (caching, I recall)., but that it was being worked on. Was it ever resolved?

- Gary.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Hmmm...So Hardware Acceleration turned off fixed the black screen problem. Unfortunately, this will vary from machine to machine. Is there a way to programatically determine if it's turned on and warn the user? Or is there something that Smug can put on the blank screen (like the press ESC message - or maybe along with it) that suggests if the slideshow does not start, check to see if hardware acceleration is turned off????

If we can proactively head this off, we can avoid an email (at best) or someone just leaving our site because it doesn't work for them.

- Gary.
    You really can't electronically reach out to the visitor who may be having a hardware acceleration issue. We've had zillions of slideshow uses, but only a tiny handful (less than a dozen) reports of people that can't view.

There's no memory issue with the Full Screen slideshow, and on the homepage slideshow, we've only seen 1 or 2 cases of this, and they've been due to embed-code errors.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Terrific! I'm going to turn mine on for all my galleries! I've been looking forward to this...
    Thanks...

- Gary.
    Andy wrote:
    You really can't electronically reach out to the visitor who may be having a hardware acceleration issue. We've had zillions of slideshow uses, but only a tiny handful (less than a dozen) reports of people that can't view.

There's no memory issue with the Full Screen slideshow, and on the homepage slideshow, we've only seen 1 or 2 cases of this, and they've been due to embed-code errors.
  • Options
    NougatNougat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Thank you!!!
    Packmule - Thanks for the tip on turning hardware acceleration off to make the slideshow work!!! I have been following this thread every day hoping someone would figure out the problem. (I posted a few days after the release) Smugmug should send you some $$$ because they have probably spent hundreds of hours trying to figure it out with no success.
    Andy wrote:

My experience has been much different. I have tried the full page slideshow on the gallery pages on 5 machines and it has had this problem on 3. I also have heard from friends and family that I send gallery links to that the slideshow does not work. I think there are some compatibility issues that need to be addressed.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Nougat wrote:
    Packmule - Thanks for the tip on turning hardware acceleration off to make the slideshow work!!! I have been following this thread every day hoping someone would figure out the problem. (I posted a few days after the release) Smugmug should send you some $$$ because they have probably spent hundreds of hours trying to figure it out with no success.

Shizam actually posted this on March 18th:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=781595&postcount=286

but for most of the few folks with issues, it didn't seem to solve the problem. And since it's not something we can reach out to viewers' computers and do for them, we haven't been putting much stock in this... it's sort of a 'last resort' thing, and we have been trying it at times with folks. We are happy the idea resurfaced though!
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Nougat wrote:
    My experience has been much different. I have tried the full page slideshow on the gallery pages on 5 machines and it has had this problem on 3. I also have heard from friends and family that I send gallery links to that the slideshow does not work. I think there are some compatibility issues that need to be addressed.

Nougat, would you please post the results for steps 1-5 from post #1 of this thread, for each of the problem computers? We'd like to get you sorted out, for sure :)
  • Options
    NougatNougat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Nougat, would you please post the results for steps 1-5 from post #1 of this thread, for each of the problem computers? We'd like to get you sorted out, for sure :)

Andy- My mistake. I must have missed Shizam's suggestion, or tried it at the time with no success. It certainly helped this time around.

1) WIN 9, 0, 115, 0
    2) IE 7.0.6001.18000 in Vista Business
    3) I'll send gallery link via PM
    4) Yes
    5) Yes

Thanks.
  • Options
    PackMulePackMule Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Nougat wrote:

lol3.gif Nah, the great service that SmugMug, Dgrin, and ADVrider provide is all that I need. I'm glad I was able to contribute in some small way.

That post by Shizam explains things well, but no one cross-posted it to this thread (and I never saw the other). One problem with that explanation, at least for me, was that that menu selection is not actually available if you're experiencing the black screen. 11doh.gif The missing link was going to a non-fullscreen flash (like YouTube) to get the required menu access.

Anyway, glad some other folks are now enjoying the full screen goodness. wings.gif
  • Options
    DisneysMagicDisneysMagic Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2008
    The Full Screen Slideshow Help Thread
    Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, I tried the unchecking the acceleration box on Adobe Flash and it did NOT make a difference on my machine. For the fullscreen slideshow I still have the full black screen after the "Press the Esc message" goes away, and the Style:Slideshow results in an empty area where the pictures should appear.

In answer to your technical questions...
    1. WIN 9,0,115,0
    2. Firefox 2.0.0.13
    3. http://disneysmagic.smugmug.com/gallery/4460675_xuJiH/1/261973435
    4. yes
    5. yes

Again, thanks for all the efforts to try and resolve this situation for me and the others in the apparently small handful that are having this same problem.

DisneysMagic
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    So - did you all just do something cool?ear.gifear.gifear.gif
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    So - did you all just do something cool?ear.gifear.gifear.gif

mwink.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    mwink.gif
    Well, then coolness works GREAT.clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Well, then coolness works GREAT.clap.gifclapclap.gif

Oops...spoke too soon. It's still not working when not logged on.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Oops...spoke too soon. It's still not working when not logged on.

Working out some kinks ... hang tight.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    i have been hanging tight and will continue to do so. At least the show looked a lot better when I was logged in.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Barb, in case you are interested - things have changed slightly from the previous.

When I first click on the FSSS button I get nothing. Pressing ESC and the the button again I will see the border for the thumbnails with the slow/medium/fast, the Hide Captions, and the Return to Gallery links. This will autohide and appear based on the mouse movement as expected. Other than that, though, there is not much else.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Barb, in case you are interested - things have changed slightly from the previous.

When I first click on the FSSS button I get nothing. Pressing ESC and the the button again I will see the border for the thumbnails with the slow/medium/fast, the Hide Captions, and the Return to Gallery links. This will autohide and appear based on the mouse movement as expected. Other than that, though, there is not much else.

What browser are you using? FireFox?

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    What browser are you using? FireFox?

Sam
    Yup - Windows XP and FF version 2.0.0.13. Let me run over to the mac and see if it works in FF there.
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Yup - Windows XP and FF version 2.0.0.13. Let me run over to the mac and see if it works in FF there.

Howwww bout now (yes we fixed something)? thumb.gif

sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Shizam wrote:
    Howwww bout now (yes we fixed something)? thumb.gif

sam
    :ivar clap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifclap.gif :ivar wings.gifwings.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif :saurora :saurora :saurora :sweet :sweet :sweet :stud :stud :stud :stud drums.gif :feelgood :feelgood beer.gifbeer.gif :smo :smo
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    :ivar clap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifclap.gif :ivar wings.gifwings.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif :saurora :saurora :saurora :sweet :sweet :sweet :stud :stud :stud :stud drums.gif :feelgood :feelgood beer.gifbeer.gif :smo :smo

That seems like good news to me! clap.gifclap
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    That seems like good news to me! clap.gifclap
    Yeah, I hope I wasn't too subtle.

I hope I wasn't too much of a pain on this either.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

Not a pain at all. We appreciate your help and patience :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Barb wrote:
    Not a pain at all. We appreciate your help and patience :)
    Can we know what was it that caused the problem(s)?
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    Also, can I please make one more request for the slideshow? it woulbe nice if the image had small 2-3px border. Not all images fill the screen, and images with a black backgounds have no "end" so the viewer can't really discern what the image size is.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:

clap.gif

Not a pain at all! Glad you (and a few others) finally got sorted out.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    It stopped working :(
    Yesterday, I was all excited because it was working once I turned off the hardware xl button, but today, when I went to turn it on to all my galleries, the Press Esc screen problem came back. I haven't even rebooted my PC since then.

It works fine on Firefox, but not on IE6.

Symptoms:
    Black screen, Press Esc message appears then disappears leaving screen black forever.
    I hit escape, then reenter the slide show
    The white thumbnail box shows up (at the top of the screen), but has no images in it...rest of screen is blank.

- Gary.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Hi Gary,

Stopped on any / all galleries?

1 - completely empty your cache
    2 - close & reopen the browser
    3 - go here http://cmac.smugmug.com/gallery/2504559_f3ta9#131481399

does it work?
    Does this? http://julian.empiregn.com/2007/2/22/How-to-create-true-fullscreen-movies-with-Flash

How about Cars?
    http://staging.mutoid.nl/fullscreen/index_cars.html
    (just to right of tiny movie is a small full-screen button)
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    Yup...that did it!
    Andy,
    The links did not work....then I cleared my cache, history, and restarted and it all started working again...including my galleries.

I wonder what I did between yesterday (when it worked) and today that messed up my cache...hmmmmm? I'll have to start trying different things and I'll report back.

Thanks for the help!
    - Gary.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Yes! It finally works!

Thank you SmugMug!